• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this game won't have any significant critique of police or justice systems because of the whole "alien threat is bigger than mankind and unites us" trope. So while it is in a genre that is generally more gritty and realistic, the alien threat makes it function more like Independence Day than Blade Runner.

That said, there's clearly something shady going on and the visual imagery of the Legion has gotta be commented on in some way, so I do expect a little self-awareness. But not a major critique or anything like that.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This is basically where I'm at. I'm a huge fan of cyberpunk but this viewpoint feels like it goes against the genre. I'm not saying every game where you play as a cop has to be an epic ACAB takedown - I love Resident Evil 2 - but in a genre like cyberpunk where there is an inherent mistrust of authority, I would have liked a more nuanced story. For all I know the story does feature or talk about corruption in the police force, and if it does I might check it out.

That said I'm not too hot on the game's visual style, it feels cluttered, but an action game with Stands could always be fun. I'm waiting for general reactions about the plot before going in on it.

(Also, police corruption isn't just an American thing... cyberpunk anime like Akira shows plenty of critique of law enforcement.)

I generally love cyberpunk aesthetic on its own, so I'll probably still enjoy that aspect of this game, but media with that aesthetic does indirectly make a promise to explore (responsibly or otherwise) the abuse of unchecked power, irresponsible technological advancement, etc. since that's so core to that genre, no matter the medium. I'm in for the what I've seen so far since I don't have high standards for Platinum-style gameplay—I even liked Korra for what it was, so I'm sure I'll find something to enjoy here, and the nature of the legion demons being living weapons seems ripe for some kind of self-reflective twist.

Speaking of Akira, this game's setting initially made me think of the anime Psycho Pass, another cyberpunk setting that involved overreach of law enforcement—I don't think Japanese media is somehow unfit to address that subject matter.

Seems like this game won't have any significant critique of police or justice systems because of the whole "alien threat is bigger than mankind and unites us" trope. So while it is in a genre that is generally more gritty and realistic, the alien threat makes it function more like Independence Day than Blade Runner.

That said, there's clearly something shady going on and the visual imagery of the Legion has gotta be commented on in some way, so I do expect a little self-awareness. But not a major critique or anything like that.

I don't expect any major critique either, but I'm hoping it's not completely straightforward since Platinum's had a few surprisingly compelling stories/characters on their games, like Metal Gear Rising.

Apr 21, 2018
This is basically where I'm at. I'm a huge fan of cyberpunk but this viewpoint feels like it goes against the genre. I'm not saying every game where you play as a cop has to be an epic ACAB takedown - I love Resident Evil 2 - but in a genre like cyberpunk where there is an inherent mistrust of authority, I would have liked a more nuanced story. For all I know the story does feature or talk about corruption in the police force, and if it does I might check it out.

That said I'm not too hot on the game's visual style, it feels cluttered, but an action game with Stands could always be fun. I'm waiting for general reactions about the plot before going in on it.

(Also, police corruption isn't just an American thing... cyberpunk anime like Akira shows plenty of critique of law enforcement.)

In the future in Astral Chain, its humanity's last stand. So the entire planet and human-race has been under attack, and mostly been losing. The population has dwindled to city-centres with elite futuristic police to constantly fight off the force.

In the context of the world it makes sense that the police might be respected.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

In one of the videos that shows the cutscene following the first assignment ("Startup"), it already is heavily implying that
the head of Neuron, Yoseph, definitely does pulls some strings to get your character specifically into the force, much to the chagrin of Maximillian, your in-game father, who doesn't approve of you and your sibling getting involved in this. Definitely your character has some special connection with the Legion and already the head is acting very Ikari Gendo-ish.
So I say there definitely is some hints of distrust regarding what the organization really stand for.

Edit: It's in this video:
The first hour gameplay.

Last edited:

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Looking like a GOTY contender. Cannot wait to get my hands on it.

There's definitely something fishy going on with the organization. Platinum's games all have plot twists.

I come back to this thread and that derail shit keeps happening? It's like some of you just ignore these staff posts.

UI's pretty good.

Ignore the dummies on some of these pages. It's obvious who they are and what they're doing. Mods will take care of it.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

Its also T for teens so nothing gruesome, disturbing or scary

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
When I see Astral Chain cops jumping into action with their futuristic laser shooting bike, using doggo legion, killing 50ft chimeras, it reminds me of the cop that used to live in my neighbourhood.

This is a god damn anime alien exterminating game, just chill and enjoy some god damn game.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
When I see Astral Chain cops jumping into action with their futuristic laser shooting bike, using doggo legion, killing 50ft chimeras, it reminds me of the cop that used to live in my neighbourhood.

This is a god damn anime alien exterminating game, just chill and enjoy some god damn game.

People are discussing the thematic elements of the game and how they are linked to the real world. The director himself has said that he wanted to use the game to make commentary on police. No amount of "stop putting politics in my games" will remove the politics that are already in it.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Bayonetta has some pretty heavy themes about Christianity and witchcraft if one looks a bit deeper 🧐

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Can't believe that staff post is a real thing in an astral chain preview thread. The heck is wrong with you guys lol

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
People are discussing the thematic elements of the game and how they are linked to the real world. The director himself has said that he wanted to use the game to make commentary on police. No amount of "stop putting politics in my games" will remove the politics that are already in it.

Where did he say that?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Where did he say that?

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/...e3-2019-platinumgames-interview-nier-automata

In the United States, playing as a police officer in a video game is complicated. Our country deals with police brutality and police shootings. I recognize in Japan that the police are very different. Can you tell me what the perception of the police is in Japan, and how a Japanese audience responds to playing as the police?

Hmm. Let's see. Well, I don't think there's people within Japan who have an extreme view on the police department.

Through this game we want to give the police the image of being a hero. You can't do things in this game like hurt people. We want to have the player feel like they're being heroic as they progress through the game.

Also, I think it'd be good, too, if you generally have a negative image of the police, but you play through this game, that your image or opinion of the police changes as a result of playing the game.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I don't expect any major critique either, but I'm hoping it's not completely straightforward since Platinum's had a few surprisingly compelling stories/characters on their games, like Metal Gear Rising.
MGR and Nier were both written by outside writers generally commended for their writing though. Platinum's interior writing strikes me as spottier. It seems like they're really trying for a more full game and more story-oriented approach on this one though, so I'm curious where it goes even if it doesn't fully land.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Just see the Credit. Holy smoke Ocarina of time Script Director as Scenario Review. 2 co-director are also from EPD1. Nintendo involved more than in expect.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
It's a shame the side quests look pretty terrible. That was something that I was hoping wouldn't carry over from Nier Automata.

They just look like unnecessary, boring bloat.

BBsnakes

May 9, 2019
It's a shame the side quests look pretty terrible. That was something that I was hoping wouldn't carry over from Nier Automata.

They just look like unnecessary, boring bloat.
How? The only one that seemed unnecessary was the one where you lead the man to the burger restaurant. And even that one seemed harmless and quick. The ones I've seen all make use of the games system. Defusing a bomb by cutting energy wires with the sword legion. Looking for a wanted criminal by using the iris to deduce who the right suspect is. Dressing up as Lappy and fighting your co workers in it. All the side quest I've seen so far don't look time consuming at all. It hardly could be called padding

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
How? The only one that seemed unnecessary was the one where you lead the man to the burger restaurant. And even that one seemed harmless and quick. The ones I've seen all make use of the games system. Defusing a bomb by cutting energy wires with the sword legion. Looking for a wanted criminal by using the iris to deduce who the right suspect is. Dressing up as Lappy and fighting your co workers in it. All the side quest I've seen so far don't look time consuming at all. It hardly could be called padding

They just look so uninteresting and seem like a chore. It looks as if they slow the pacing down to a crawl. Also, the lack of voice acting for the NPC's is a big turn off for me too.

After how bad they were in Nier Automata my expectations are really low. We'll see...

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just look so uninteresting and seem like a chore. It looks as if they slow the pacing down to a crawl. Also, the lack of voice acting for the NPC's is a big turn off for me too.

After how bad they were in Nier Automata my expectations are really low. We'll see...

At least with Astral Chain, you won't have to run around giant maps to complete sidequests, as each chapter is self-contained in a much smaller area.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I don't really think Astral Chain is cyberpunk.

I don't think something is cyberpunk just because it's set in a future neon city. Astral Chain is something closer to Attack on Titan or Sidonia. You know, a story about humanity beset by an apocalyptic outer threat and barely hanging on. future neon city is as much of a window dressing here as medieval steampunk is in AoT or a sci fi generation ship is in Sidonia.

From what I've seen it could just as well have been set in a modern city where some organization managed to be advanced enough to come up with Legions.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think something is cyberpunk just because it's set in a future neon city. Astral Chain is something closer to Attack on Titan or Sidonia. You know, a story about humanity beset by an apocalyptic outer threat and barely hanging on. future neon city is as much of a window dressing here as medieval steampunk is in AoT or a sci fi generation ship is in Sidonia.

From what I've seen it could just as well have been set in a modern city where some organization managed to be advanced to come up with Legions.
When you read on the origins of the setting, it backs up your view. They initially intended to make a standard fantasy game, but Nintendo said there were too many of those, and suggested cyberpunk instead. Being more interested in the concept or controlling two characters at the same time than the setting itself or telling a specific story, Platinum didn't mind and went along with it.

The only statement that comes with the fact that this particular game is "cyberpunk" is that Nintendo thinks there are too many fantasy games on the market. They didn't choose it to explore certain themes, they just wanted to make a game about stands that are chained to the main character.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

From what I've seen it could just as well have been set in a modern city where some organization managed to be advanced enough to come up with Legions.
People often confuse cyberpunk with "looks like Blade Runner."

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
When you read on the origins of the setting, it backs up your view. They initially intended to make a standard fantasy game, but Nintendo said there were too many of those, and suggested cyberpunk instead. Being more interested in the concept or controlling two characters at the same time than the setting itself or telling a specific story, Platinum didn't mind and went along with it.

The only statement that comes with the fact that this particular game is "cyberpunk" is that Nintendo thinks there are too many fantasy games on the market. They didn't choose it to explore certain themes, they just wanted to make a game about stands that are chained to the main character.
That is why some people who expect certain things "because cyberpunk" might end up disappointed. The setting has never been more than flavor and Taura has made no pretense of it being otherwise.

That said, shady authority is still a common plot point with these "humanity barely surviving against a mighty threat" Japanese stories, simply because these stories tend to end up needing some antagonists that aren't just an apocalyptic force of nature.

Shady authorities make for some convenient drama.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That is why some people who expect certain things "because cyberpunk" might end up disappointed. The setting has never been more than flavor and Taura has made no pretense of it being otherwise.

That said, shady authority is still a common plot point with these "humanity barely surviving against a mighty threat" Japanese stories, simply because these stories tend to end up needing some antagonists that aren't just an apocalyptic force of nature.

Shady authorities make for some convenient drama.
Yeah, and I'm sure they've made their homework, and for that reason we'll see some of the staples there, as you can also read Taura mentioning Ghost in the Shell as an inspiration, but the main expectations should be gameplay related, as that is their focus, and they'll sacrifice any story bit or thematic exploration to favor their gameplay, judging from the way the director talks about the game.

As you mentioned, expecting things "because cyberpunk" seems to be inverting cause and effect a little. Some people see that the game looks like these other works, and because of that it better check all of these boxes, or it's automatically bad, instead of grouping a work with others after seeing that it's tackling similar themes in a similar setting. "The future" shouldn't be restrained to a formula.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Yeah, and I'm sure they've made their homework, and for that reason we'll see some of the staples there, as you can also read Taura mentioning Ghost in the Shell as an inspiration, but the main expectations should be gameplay related, as that is their focus, and they'll sacrifice any story bit or thematic exploration to favor their gameplay, judging from the way the director talks about the game.

As you mentioned, expecting things "because cyberpunk" seems to be inverting cause and effect a little. Some people see that the game looks like these other works, and because of that it better check all of these boxes, or it's automatically bad, instead of grouping a work with others after seeing that it's tackling similar themes in a similar setting. "The future" shouldn't be restrained to a formula.
Also I have to note something else.

While this game is very likely to have some shady authority and possibly "are we the baddies" kind of twists that questions the morality of Taskforce Neuron's leadership (which might end up being like NERV with behind scenes shady machinations), people expecting relevant criticism of police forces are very likely to be disappointed.

Why? Because take a good look at Taskforce Neuron. Actual policing is a side activity for them. Their main job is basically being Power Rangers - showing up to beat up monsters causing havoc.

Depiction of police corruption? Bribed by whom? Monstars from the murder dimension?

Depiction of police brutality? Against whom? Monstars from the murder dimension? What force can even be excessive?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
This game looks sooooo good but I am soooo bad at stylish action games. I'm hesitant to use one of my eshop vouchers on this because I'm worried I will just suck at it or not understand combat enough to find it satisfying.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
This game looks sooooo good but I am soooo bad at stylish action games. I'm hesitant to use one of my eshop vouchers on this because I'm worried I will just suck at it or not understand combat enough to find it satisfying.
you can auto it.
uiB0pYa.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Also I have to note something else.

While this game is very likely to have some shady authority and possibly "are we the baddies" kind of twists that questions the morality of Taskforce Neuron's leadership (which might end up being like NERV with behind scenes shady machinations), people expecting relevant criticism of police forces are very likely to be disappointed.

Why? Because take a good look at Taskforce Neuron. Actual policing is a side activity for them. Their main job is basically being Power Rangers - showing up to beat up monsters causing havoc.

Depiction of police corruption? Bribed by whom? Monstars from the murder dimension?

Depiction of police brutality? Against whom? Monstars from the murder dimension? What force can even be excessive?

I think the main issue for a lot of people is that they are actually called police officers and wear imagery associated with real life police officers. Those are very loaded, political-heavy terms and iconography. It's hard to not cringe a bit on the inside when people are saying things like "hell yeah, can't wait to play as a cyberpunk cop."

I think a NERV-like reveal would at least be a fine way to go about it. There isn't going to be metacommentary on the police as a weapon in class war or anything like that.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the buttons are customizable because I'm not a fan of using triggers to attack in an action game.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't followed much of the game's story, but the main threat is an alien force right?

If that's the case that case I find it kind of weird that the game calls them cops at all....I'd say it's more of a defense force

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I haven't followed much of the game's story, but the main threat is an alien force right?

If that's the case that case I find it kind of weird that the game calls them cops at all....I'd say it's more of a defense force
The monstars seem to be secret (they are invisible to ordinary humans). Neuron is a special unit within police force that deals with them under the guise of police work.

They also do some actual police work on the side, but even that seems to be mostly related to monstars.

That's my understanding at least,

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018

a stylish point
and If I remember it correctly. Neuron task force and Chimeras problem are the secret to Ark citizens. so they just working under police name.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I think a NERV-like reveal would at least be a fine way to go about it. There isn't going to be metacommentary on the police as a weapon in class war or anything like that.
I think NERV style reveals are extremely likely, going by the trailers.

Like, listen to dialogue at 1:09

Also that head of Neuron might as well do that Gendo Ikari pose with how obvious he is.