• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear these opinions once in awhile, out of the 5 popular forums I post on, Astro Bot has to have the most overwhelming positive impressions I can remember in many years.

Bad to hear, you mean! I spent $40 on the damn game, lol. I'm going to give it a serious run this week, just feel like the platforming has just been so damn basic that without VR, I'd be bored to tears.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why can't it be a PlayStation quality platformer? PlayStation has had many great 3D platformers over the years including this generation with the stunningly gorgeous Ratchet & Clank remake and Tearaway Unfolded.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
A shame that this game can't stand on it's own two feet. Every impression mentions the competition and I'm on the fence on whether that's a good thing or not.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Great write up.
Glad I'm not the only one to have likened Astro Bot with Super Mario 3D Land.
I mean, yes the game lift a lot of concepts and design from Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy but its greatest asset is fully understanding both its "gimmick" strengths and pitfalls therefore designing the game around the former while avoiding the latter within a joyous package.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I wish the character design on the Bots was a little more appealing. They seem pretty bland and unendearing to me.

By the way, what is the current MSRP for a PSVR and this game? I just upgraded to PS4 Pro so this game is pretty tempting... I've heard it runs better on the Pro.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the character design on the Bots was a little more appealing. They seem pretty bland and unendearing to me.

By the way, what is the current MSRP for a PSVR and this game? I just upgraded to PS4 Pro so this game is pretty tempting... I've heard it runs better on the Pro.

The FPS is the same (because of VR) but it does look sharper on the Pro.

Also for at least the US the Astro Bot + Moss + PSVR bundle is $299.96

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
In gifting this to myself on Christmas! So much thoughtful praise here & recounted differently with "Fun" & "Awe" being common terms.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If PS5 is backwards compatible, whatever VR headset gets made for the PS5, I'll get this game.
Also, will try its future sequel...

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Can I buy this (and Tetris Effect) and play them not in VR? That's how I played the newest Rez.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a PSVR, so I haven't had a chance to play Astro Bot, but a lot of the coverage I have seen seems to be ignoring the fact that there has been numerous great VR games released covering a wide variety of genres. I am sure Astro Bot is a great game, but I feel a lot of the coverage lacks perspective.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I don't have a PSVR, so I haven't had a chance to play Astro Bot, but a lot of the coverage I have seen seems to be ignoring the fact that there has been numerous great VR games released covering a wide variety of genres. I am sure Astro Bot is a great game, but I feel a lot of the coverage lacks perspective.

This is somewhat true, because apparently VR coverage doesn't translate to sufficient views and clicks. Hopefully Astro Bot will be able to champion the platform but I doubt it'll change anytime soon.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
This is somewhat true, because apparently VR coverage doesn't translate to sufficient views and clicks. Hopefully Astro Bot will be able to champion the platform but I doubt it'll change anytime soon.

Finished the campaign of Astrobot today. Adored it. Probably the most innovative use of VR yet. VR is a key part of the gameplay.

But there are many other *great* games on PSVR. RE7 was my Mario 64 moment FWIW. A level of immersion I just wasn't ready for.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a Sony-funded title, or is there a chance that this might come to other VR platforms eventually? Couldn't find an article specifying one way or the other.

Oct 28, 2017
I just bought it yesterday, I played 1-1 and 1-2. I played 1-1 twice because I missed a bot, I have 3 missing bots to pick up in 1-2.

Just in the first level alone, when you have to lean in to look around things to see where to jump, it is just crazy awesome. You have to lean into the virtual space, look around and see where to go in certain points. Just that alone blew my mind and I assume there are a lot more little tricks to come. And I dont know that I could argue a PSVR game that looks better. Astrobot is so colorful, crisp and clean looking, it puts a lot of VR games to shame. I know I know, it had a bigger budget and scope than other games, but it definitely shows you the full potential of what PSVR Games can look like.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not just Mario level, it's great Mario level.

Why use Mario? I don't think there's many platformers on that level. Ape Escape 1?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

My GOTY last year were both Oculus VR titles, but Astro Bot is a step above them. It's a legit killer app, by the old definition. You buy the hardware to play Astro Bot. That's how great it is,

(I think VRChat is also that for PC VR this year, but not a game)

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
The article in the OP, specifically says Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) Japan lol
Ha, I see that now. I guessed it might be Sony since the videos had what was very obviously a PS4 controller in a few shots. I'll have to wait until I can get a cheap PS4 Pro + PSVR (...or the second generation of same, if and when that happens).

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Ha, I see that now. I guessed it might be Sony since the videos had what was very obviously a PS4 controller in a few shots. I'll have to wait until I can get a cheap PS4 Pro + PSVR (...or the second generation of same, if and when that happens).

The PS4 controller is an integral part of the game even.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I had my eyes rolling at this game too after hearing about the Super Mario 64 comment and seeing the character was just that robot from that dumb playroom vr app.

All the praise made me check it out though.. and I was floored. I wasn't expecting this level of polish - the graphics and sound are one of the best on the platform, the controls are super tight and feel great, the VR mechanics are interesting and truly elevate a good platforming experience to another level. Most of all.. it's just plain fun. I played about 4 levels and can't wait to play more.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Bad to hear, you mean! I spent $40 on the damn game, lol. I'm going to give it a serious run this week, just feel like the platforming has just been so damn basic that without VR, I'd be bored to tears.
I felt the same about RE7. Without VR it's an okay horror game at best. In VR it is pretty scary. That's the magic of VR.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Nope, I'm literally just into the second world. I don't think I even played the first level of it. I'm definitely not going to quit on it!

I said as much in the OT, but I feel world 1 is fine and reasonably charming.

2-2 though... My jaw dropped. It's a fantastic twist on a platformer trope.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So in hindsight, that Mario 64 quote ended up being accurate, right?
More Mario Galaxy for me. Visually the "Pixar-like" work on textures and details, but essentially how you feel the world spining under your feet like in an airport speedwalk rather than freely exploring it (the difference between camera axes is subtile but makes a huge difference in M64 and Galaxy). "Bound" would be closer to M64 on the pure exploration thing.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I fucking love Astro Bot but good god I wish that Mario comment was never made. It HAS to be brought up every time the game is talked about for better or worse.

Also, please go buy Astro Bot.

It's quite funny because someone openly mocked me when I expressed concern that this was going to be a constant exposed nail for this game. As soon as those impressions popped up, I knew that people would take hold of the comparison for good or bad, and it would stick with the game.

That said, the game is absolutely fantastic and deserves every ounce of praise it gets. I sincerely hope the team gets a significantly larger budget to make either a bigger game, or more games. They're on to something special here.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
One of these days, I will need to pick up a PSVR set just to try this game(and some others) to see what's all the fuss is about.

...I wonder if my local Best Buy has a PSVR kiosk?

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Just like the writer I also had a constant smile on my face while playing. Hell I've even been dancing with the amazing soundtrack.
Stopped at the incredible 5-2. Need to wrap up this gem but I don't want it to end.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Does the game only let you see it one peripheral vision? Was watching the second level in an online walkthrough and it seems like the camera angle is kind of fixed to one peripheral view. The bot had to walk on a very narrow ledge that was hard to see since the camera couldn't be centered behind astro bot if he walks towards you.

Other than that the effects look cool. Watched a walkthrough of someone playing it in VR on my computer. I didn't have VR but I've used some before to have a basic idea how the effects would work and it looked great.