• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Reviews

Astro Bot Rescue Mission claims our first 10 out of 10 because it's full of smart VR game design, and plays plays to the platform's strengths while avoiding its weaknesses. In addition to having the right amount of content to leave the player with a truly satisfying experience, it's hard to imagine many ways in which the game could have been better made.

RoadToVR: 10/10

If Firewall Zero Hour is PSVR's answer to multiplayer – Astro Bot Rescue Mission is its answer to single player. This game is so fun and accessible it will likely sell PSVR units, it's just that good.

ShaneTheGamer: 4/5

It's a refreshing reminder of just how astonishing VR can be when there's nothing in your way, and it's an absolutely essential experience for any PSVR owner.

UploadVR: 8.5/10

In years to come, as VR technology advances, we're sure Astro Bot will end up looking as primitive and restrictive as Super Mario 64 does now but it won't ever stop being fun.

Metro: 9/10

Stunning presentation elevated by insanely good animation ensure that you always feel present in the release's virtual world, while tight controls and genuinely clever level design will keep you engaged. This is the kind of game that will leave you beaming long after you've taken the headset off – and we can't give it higher praise than that.

PushSquare: 9/10

Astro Bot Rescue Mission, like its titular hero, gets the job done. Although the general tone is low key at all times, there's very rarely any lows to speak of. It's polished and responsive, it just plays it safe with its subdued level design, relying on the VR "wow" factor a bit too often.

Destructoid: 7.5/10

If "Super Mario 64" is the first 3D platformer showing the possibility of 3D games, "ASTRO BOT: RESCUE MISSION" should remain in history as a game that opened the future of VR.

IGN Japan: 10/10

While Astro Bot Rescue Mission isn't quite as charming as Moss, or as superbly crafted as Mario Odyssey, it is a great old-school platformer for the VR era, bringing some of the best features of both 2D and 3D platformers of old and incorporating VR in a way that doesn't feel awkward. This is a fun, lighthearted way to spend some time in VR, and worth checking out.

VRFocus: 4/5

Best. VR game. Ever.

VideoChums: 9.2/10

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission looks incredible in VR. When I said this was one of the best VR game's I've played I wasn't exaggerating.

PSU: 9.5/10

Astro Bot Rescue Mission is a delightful PSVR platforming adventure. It's easily one of the best VR platformers out there, and is an excellent addition to any PSVR library. Its fun, lighthearted tone mixes with fantastic platforming game design to create a game that VR fans won't want to miss.

Attack of the Fanboy: 9/10

I feel comfortable in saying that this is a PSVR killer app and there's no reason to sit on this.

Dark Station: 10/10

Astro Bot Rescue Mission is an extremely fun and engaging game, and a dynamite addition to the growing PSVR library. At $39.99, it is an absolute bargain for what you get here. Once you start playing you will find it hard to stop. Games like these are the reason why I love PlayStation VR as much as I do. It's a simple concept that works on so many levels here. If you have a PSVR system, Definitely check this one out, I can't recommend it enough!

Gaming Age: 10/10

The Aggregate Scores

mvP32f4.png

Metacritic: 90

The Question: Is it VR's Mario 64 Moment?

The music contains fun, plucky riffs you would expect from a modern Sonic or Mario title

There are other reasons to make the comparison, but the one thing we keep coming back to is the first time we played Super Mario 64; that magical moment when gaming went from 2D to 3D in one sudden, mind-blowing leap. Astro Bot isn't quite as good as Nintendo's classic, and there have been plenty of quality VR titles before this, but it still feels like the same sort of milestone.

The best comparison for Astro Bot is probably Super Mario Sunshine

Although it is cheeky how much Sony's Japan Studio steals from various Mario games

In years to come, as VR technology advances, we're sure Astro Bot will end up looking as primitive and restrictive as Super Mario 64 does now but it won't ever stop being fun.

Most enemy characters look or behave like classic Mario critters

Sony finally produced a 3D platformer comparable to Mario.

If "Super Mario 64" is the first 3D platformer showing the possibility of 3D games, "ASTRO BOT: RESCUE MISSION" should remain in history as a game that opened the future of VR.

Astro Bot is simply as close to Mario as you can get.

The comparisons to Nintendo's flagship series is apt because it really does have the look, feel, and smart design as some of the best Mario adventures on the market.

If there is one game that can compete against the Mario juggernaut, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is that game.

Team Asobi, the creative minds behind The Playroom and The Playroom VR, have worked their creative magic to create an unlikely spiritual successor to great games, like Sonic The Hedgehog and the 3D Mario games Sunshine (fight me) and Galaxy.

unlock boss doors at the end of any given world (similarly to games like Mario 64)

Heck, I even enjoyed it slightly more than Super Mario Odyssey, believe it or not.

This mechanic reminded me of the original Super Mario Bros. because you couldn't move back in that either.

The overall aesthetic is cartoonish and colourful, bringing to mind some of the 3D Mario titles, such as the recent Mario Odyssey. The smooth flow and satisfying platform action, meanwhile, favour Mario's eternal rival, Sonic with some of the faster-paced platform and running segments resembling some of Sonic's better 3D outings, such as Sonic Colours.

While Astro Bot Rescue Mission isn't quite as charming as Moss, or as superbly crafted as Mario Odyssey, it is a great old-school platformer for the VR era

This setup has all the gravitas of a Super Mario Brothers game

Oh heck, I'll come out and say it: Rescue Mission is the closest PlayStation owners will get to a game like Super Mario Odyssey.

I wanted this to last forever like Super Mario Odyssey.

I know I've been referring to the Mario games so much but that's really the best way to convey how much of a fantastic platformer Rescue Mission is.

Last edited:

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
My review is live. 9/10. It's absolutely outstanding:

Astro Bot Rescue Mission is an imaginative and innovative platformer which plays to the strengths of PlayStation VR and delivers an immersive experience that isn't easy to forget. Stunning presentation elevated by insanely good animation ensure that you always feel present in the release's virtual world, while tight controls and genuinely clever level design will keep you engaged. This is the kind of game that will leave you beaming long after you've taken the headset off – and we can't give it higher praise than that.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/astro_bot_rescue_mission

I'm happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
https://uploadvr.com/astro-bot-rescue-mission-review/
Final Score – 8.5/10 – Great

Astro Bot is not here to reinvent the wheel or claim the throne as VR's killer app; there are enough games trying to do that already. Instead, it fuzes the thrill of seeing a virtual world come to life with the dependably engaging gameplay of one of gaming's most beloved genres and explores what that can mean with fascinating results. It's a refreshing reminder of just how astonishing VR can be when there's nothing in your way, and it's an absolutely essential experience for any PSVR owner.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Got it downloaded and ready to play when it unlocks in 13 hours or so! Am so fucking excited to finally play this baby. :)

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Nov 14, 2017
"Astro Bot's campaign clocks in at around 8-10 hours if you're not just zipping through the Levels, but if you manage to find a hidden chameleon camouflaged into the environment of each Level, an independent challenge Level is unlocked afterwards for you to attempt.

If Firewall Zero Hour is PSVR's answer to multiplayer – Astro Bot Rescue Mission is its answer to single player. This game is so fun and accessible it will likely sell PSVR units, it's just that good."

8 hours is more than I thought it would be, it's what I would want, I might have to pick this game.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Oh man... After playing Robot Rescue in Playroom VR, the first thing I said was "I want a whole game around this." That dream comes true tomorrow. CANNOT WAIT!

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I have so many sealed VR games right now- The Inpaitent, Summer Lesson, and ZOE2.
Part of me wants to buy this to support VR, but I know that by the time I am actually ready to play this, It will probably have gone on sale several times
:/

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking knew this looked special. Not even into VR but I saw a few screens and videos and immediately wanted to play it.

Good for them!

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
My preorder shipped early considering the european release date, I'm looking forward to playing the best 4/10 game ever tomorrow!

It's just a shame that none of the bigger outlets even seem to care.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
If metro are making the Mario 64 comparison, then that guy from the other day is redeemed.