• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
Finished. I thought that the boss on world 5 was the last one because it was so freaking great and it deserved all the praise... Then there was another one. Such an genius boss design. Masterful game. Will probably go for platinum, love what I have played from the challenges so far.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
omG

PSVR/Astrobot is special.

Amazing experience, truly. Who sane on this earth wouldn't be impressed by this?

Leaning into things, peeking around objects and corners, seeing stuff right up to your nose. And seeing the level unfold around you, and using your body to look and play. It's a revelation. This is some Mario 1, Mario 64 shit.

I felt like I was laying back on my couch IN that fucking cave in the third level, fuck off, damn.
Is it also your first PSVR experience?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I love the directional sound in this game. When I hear a noise I can pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. I know it's not a new thing but I feel like the implementation is really good.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main game with all the bots and chameleons. Cleaned up all the challenge levels with gold except for the boss stages and that godforsaken hookshot level.

What's a good place to farm coins for the UFO machine? The credits?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
What's a good place to farm coins for the UFO machine? The credits?
I don't think the credits actually earn you money. I tried farming there yesterday. Or maybe it was just due to me exiting it half-way.
I know the first level earns you ~350 per go, most levels about 400+ but length is longer (but anyways, nice excuse to revisit some favorites).

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely got maybe 800-900 coins from the credits, but they're longish so I don't know if it's actually worthwhile in the coins/minute sense.

Edit: just went through again. You can skip after the interactive part is over. I got like 1200 coins this time, so probably a good bet if anyone out there's looking to farm.

Last edited:

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Some of my favorites include:
The one sun-tanning in 2-2 as well as the one buried in the sand on the same level.

Also this one from 5-2:
DpX5sKOWkAABocu.jpg:large

PS. Any speculations on what we're looking at when you turn your head 180 around in the world select space?
DpX5sjpXUAAsJzR.jpg:large

You can also see some eyes in the clouds there...

PPS. This game has some nice clouds. Wonder if they are borrowed from Gran Turismo Sport:
DpX5syFXcAApPQe.jpg:large

I always assumed the thing behind you in the select screen was the Astro Bot homeworld.

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got a chance to play this. HOLY MOLY! This is EVERYTHING I love about videogames. The graphics, the joy the game oozes, and my goodness, the MUSIC! I had goosebumps all the way from the title screen through the boss of the first world. What a special treat!

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Platinum'd the game last night. Popped three Trophies doing the fourth (I think) boss in Challenge mode, so that was fun.

And now that I got my PSVR all hooked up again, I'm actually going to start playing games that have just been sitting on my shelf.

Deimo5

Oct 25, 2017
Yo screw Lava Run. Not sure how common knowledge it was that you can shoot the water at the walls and it will run down to the lava which takes less precise aiming. That helped me finally get it.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I just played the first 2 worlds of the game.
And is by far my favorite VR game. The levels are so creative, Astro is adorable, I have the biggest smille playing it.
And I was afraid to sufer vertigo in some levels but that never happend.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I think the cave levels are my favorite as far as "being there".
Not even game play wise just talking about that "Wow this VR shit is cool!"

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the game, GOTY for sure for me. It's without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played, definitely in the top 10. The best thing about this game is how they just keep throwing you new and inventive gameplay scenarios, there's always something new and amazing on every level.

And those last two bosses were amazing.

Now for the platinum...

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
More lovely people playing and loving this makes me so damn happy. I see y'all new Star Lords as well!
I'm giving it some time now before going back for another playthrough but still can't stop thinking about some of the levels from time to time and smile.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
PSVR is like 3DS on steroids.

You are really placed in the game world. I was amazed just watching my bro play Wipeout.

He was IN that world, we were just watching the TV. When he turns around, he's in Wipeout.

God now I want every game in VR.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished 5-2, man y'all weren't kidding about that level being a standout, if not the best one. Sad I'm near the end of the game :(

malik180

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With the game being sold out at Amazon and best buy , If somebody is happy enough to go digital I have a digital code for sale (32$) which comes with pre-order bonuses like dynamic theme.
I sold my psvr and now it looks like I'll have to wait for black friday to get it again . Hopefully moss and astro bundle for 200$ :)

Last edited:

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just finishe 5-1

holy shit, how can they make better and better....

I never feel so shocked at any game... ever!

Deleted member 43446

User requested account closure
Banned
May 15, 2018
Got the Platinum, thanks for tips on challenge 22 guys, made it on my second try today ^_^

What a fantastic ride this was, Asobi has jumped into my must watch devs for their upcoming projects.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Regarding Astro Bot's fixed 'Crash Bandicoot' like camera, I believe the reason that it is mostly forward facing and you're not able to move it backwards: Anti-sickness measures is one thing but more importantly the PSVR is based on a single camera in front for tracking.
With PSVR2 and PS5 we will likely see new 360 tracking technology that doesn't suffer occlusion challenges which will open up more options for gameplay design.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I've been reading some impressions on other forums. There's another thread on a forum I won't name but it's so cringe reading VR virgins say things about Astro Bot in their thread like: "well, that game looks mediocre as hell to me. Probably overrated."

lmao, all VR games look mediocre or worse on a flat screen. People have no idea and its hilarious.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Not being able to move backwards also seems like a clever design choice regarding gameplay. It made me play in a slower, more thoughtful way. And while rushing through can be a lot of fun too (see the challgenge levels) the most fun I had was when I was exploring the levels at a slower pace.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
He isn't wrong. This game needs to be in the hands of everyone who owns PSVR; it's that damn good. And it should be convincing folks who complain about PSVR lacking a "killer App" to buy in.

Everyone has been raving about it, look at the metacritic. It's just hard for it to reach the mainstream like a mainline Mario game when it's on VR.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a PSVR to try this game and holy fuck.

My 40+ year old jaded ass gamer has not been so happy playing a video game since I was a teen. The game just oozes charm and it's just a joy to guide the little robot guy around.
I found myself with the biggest stupid grin on my face playing the first levels. I even did a little dance in my sofa trying to imitate Astro dancing at the title screen.

I've only played the first few levels but if this keeps up it's definitly my GOTY. :3

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I've been reading some impressions on other forums. There's another thread on a forum I won't name but it's so cringe reading VR virgins say things about Astro Bot in their thread like: "well, that game looks mediocre as hell to me. Probably overrated."

lmao, all VR games look mediocre or worse on a flat screen. People have no idea and its hilarious.

Well in all fairness it is quite difficult to see it if they have not experienced VR. That's not to say there will be some who are adamant they know better than those who have experienced the game and those are quite annoying indeed.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like Mark Brown is falling in love with it.

What reality is he living in where this game is being overlooked by the press? Isn't this the most critically acclaimed VR game ever? What more does he want? What even is his point?

People are being very... confused about this game. Of course a VR game isn't mainstream immediately.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've not had lots of time to play the game so far but what I have played is really amazing (like I knew it would be)

Watching a level expand, growing high into the sky and literally all around you on a beanstalk, and having to navigate Astro behind the back of your head in some parts, is definitely a "Mario like moment" really impressive.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm about halfway through and this is without a doubt, the best platformer I've ever played including Mario 64.
It has so many little moments that make you smile that you play with a permanent grin.
It's revolutionary.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
World 3-3 was the first one that I had to tell myself that this is just VR and is not real.
Being eaten by a whale
was not on my plans for today. The all stage is a bit surreal.

EDIT to spoiler tag

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
World 3-3 was the first one that I had to tell myself that this is just VR and is not real.
Being eaten by a whale was not on my plans for today. The all stage is a bit surreal.

Wasn't that 3-2? And yes the undulating water effects had me instinctively holding my breath for a few seconds until my brain dispelled the illusion.