• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Finished the campaign today. World 5 was ker-azy. I *loved* how 5-2 (I think it was 5-2) pays clear homage to
Ghosts'n'Goblins
. Might be my favorite level in the game.

Last boss was great. Even the credits could only be done in VR. It took me hours to nail every gold letter but I can't believe what you get for pulling it off!
Are you kidding? Of course I didn't do it!

On to the challenges!

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
i just got the game but haven't play it yet. How hard is it to platinum?

Easy, collect all robots, collect all chameleons, beat challenge levels at highest rank, collect everything on the ship and do a few miscilanious tasks. Probably took me about 12-15 hours, some of the challenge levels are pretty brutal.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Beat the first 15 challenge levels (excluding the 4th).
So far so good. Only the lava and the laser ones proved truly challenging.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Played the demo now and I'm in love, what a game. So much fun and I'm sure there is so much more to do in the full game. I have no idea what's still coming but theoretically, you could have so many more ideas with physics and mini games and just amazingly fun stuff in such a game and it's so easy to achieve that, 1000x easier as in non VR titles. Just the feeling of stuff like putting your controller into something and it becomes a cool machine that you control and shit. The potential is limitless for many many sequels. Maybe I do need to buy it this month.

Question, I LOVED the vending machine and all the little figures and stuff that you could unlock in the playroom, is something similar in this game? The answer is probably no but that's another thing that's so easy to do in VR and that feels amazing and like I said, I just loved it, what a nice little feature.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Question, I LOVED the vending machine and all the little figures and stuff that you could unlock in the playroom, is something similar in this game? The answer is probably no but that's another thing that's so easy to do in VR and that feels amazing and like I said, I just loved it, what a nice little feature.
Yes, the game has a cool bunch of extra's and I am sure you will like how you can spend your points based on your comment ;-)

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo now and I'm in love, what a game. So much fun and I'm sure there is so much more to do in the full game. I have no idea what's still coming but theoretically, you could have so many more ideas with physics and mini games and just amazingly fun stuff in such a game and it's so easy to achieve that, 1000x easier as in non VR titles. Just the feeling of stuff like putting your controller into something and it becomes a cool machine that you control and shit. The potential is limitless for many many sequels. Maybe I do need to buy it this month.

What's include for the demo?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Finished world 3 this morning. Good times. 3-3 was really cool, although the first section had me pretty anxious.

I have a fear of open ocean and part of it is having a giant creature come out of nowhere and eating me. So when the whale left I knew it was coming back but I didn't know where from, so I was looking around and when I turned back forward I just saw the open mouth swallowing me. Not cool. Glad the game has such a light tone, if it was a scary or realistic game I would have quit.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017

Yes it is and it has been expanded upon

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game tonight. Holy shit what a game! That last boss was so good, one of my favorites of all time. He was not easy, took me a few tries.
The boss before him was incredible too. Was not a fan of the location of that boss. Not a fan of that type of thing and in VR yikes!
The game just gets better and better. For those on the fence after the demo trust what you are hearing.

RounD

Oct 29, 2017
lDVXlVG.gif

he'll save me, he'll save me not..

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Finally bought it and I'm at the second world, third level now and, just wow, it is so freaking good. Immediately 100% the first world.

It really is VR's Mario 64 moment.

Feb 15, 2018
Is their a big difference between playing this on regular ps4 vs pro? I have both, but PSVR is hooked up to regular atm. The only games i have seen a considerable difference on are Skyrim, Thumper and Dirt Rally.

Astro bot and Resi 7 are the only games i am planning on playing in VR for the rest of the year, do they warrant switching the consoles around (and thus meaning not playing any flat screen games in 2d using the pro).

Thoughts appreciated!

Oct 25, 2017
Is their a big difference between playing this on regular ps4 vs pro? I have both, but PSVR is hooked up to regular atm. The only games i have seen a considerable difference on are Skyrim, Thumper and Dirt Rally.

Astro bot and Resi 7 are the only games i am planning on playing in VR for the rest of the year, do they warrant switching the consoles around (and thus meaning not playing any flat screen games in 2d using the pro).

Thoughts appreciated!
There's very little difference.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Finally bought it and I'm at the second world, third level now and, just wow, it is so freaking good. Immediately 100% the first world.

It really is VR's Mario 64 moment.

Seriously. I would say it reminded me the best of 3D Mario in general. Some of my favorite levels reminded me of my favorite Mario games.

I saw this comment today and I personally couldn't agree with it more because it's sadly true.

"Now Nintendo can't claim to be the first anymore when they venture Mario into VR in the future but don't worry, whenever Nintendo gets around to doing it the Nintendo fanboys and most of the press will still pretend Nintendo revolutionized VR with Mario."

This is mainly why I personally stopped caring what critics say about Mario\Zelda and Nintendo in general at this point since it's always hyperbole. I'm just glad this game is getting the recognition it deserves. Japan Studio really deserves it and I hope they make Astro Bot into a franchise.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously. I would say it reminded me the best of 3D Mario in general. Some of my favorite levels reminded me of my favorite Mario games.

I saw this comment today and I personally couldn't agree with it more because it's sadly true.

"Now Nintendo can't claim to be the first anymore when they venture Mario into VR in the future but don't worry, whenever Nintendo gets around to doing it the Nintendo fanboys and most of the press will still pretend Nintendo revolutionized VR with Mario."

This is mainly why I stopped caring what critics say about Mario\Zelda and Nintendo in general at this point since it's always hyperbole. I'm just glad this game is getting the recognition it deserves. Japan Studio really deserves it and I hope they make Astro Bot into a franchise.

How embarrassing.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018

Thoughts appreciated!

I don't know about Astro Bot, but I have played RE7 back to back and there was a noticeable difference in clarity. It wasn't anything I had to really look for either, it was immediately apparent. All around sharper and perhaps more detail.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

This is mainly why I personally stopped caring what critics say about Mario\Zelda and Nintendo in general at this point since it's always hyperbole. I'm just glad this game is getting the recognition it deserves. Japan Studio really deserves it and I hope they make Astro Bot into a franchise.

I completely agree.

Nah it was quite embarrassing IMO.

No it wasn't.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing embarrassing about what I think. More embarrassing that you're bothered by it. Deal with it instead of getting triggered from someone's viewpoint. Peace.
Hypothetical console warring of the VR future is pretty petty. Astro Bot is, by almost universal consensus, a fantastic game. There's no need to drag down another company's critical darlings to prove it.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Continued pattern of system warring
Hypothetical console warring of the VR future is pretty petty. Astro Bot is, by almost universal consensus, a fantastic game. There's no need to drag down another company's critical darlings to prove it.

Yup well said.

The console warring about this game has been extremely disappointing, though not entirely surprising from some users.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Not in relation to previous posts.

I feel like Mario Oddysey is the better game, but this one just feels like the future. Oddysey is basically the best of what is known and Astrobot is playing around with the unknown. I'm shocked it plays as well as it does with these new ideas so well. The level design is unlike any platformers I've played.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

No one's console warring. All I see is the usual side bickering and moaning over nothing and starting exactly what you stated because they always play the victim card here.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Being upset that this game isn't getting the recognition it deserves over how important it is regarding how it pretty much changed the way platformers can be played, while at the same time going bananas for decent but not that special games like Odyssey simply because... well it's Nintendo... is not console warring. Yes the game received great reviews, and that's fantastic, but where's the buzz about it on the media? Asides from a few tweets from semi-famous people pretty much mimicking that sentiment there's nothing.

It is extremely frustrating that one of the most important games of the past decade will be overlooked by many.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one's console warring. All I see is the usual side bickering and moaning and starting said thing because they always play the victim card here. Doesn't look like it's working out for you or the other guy here this time.

'They'.

Who's 'they'?

We're all just normal-ass adults here man.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Not in relation to previous posts.

I feel like Mario Oddysey is the better game, but this one just feels like the future. Oddysey is basically the best of what is known and Astrobot is playing around with the unknown. I'm shocked it plays as well as it does with these new ideas so well. The level design is unlike any platformers I've played.

Totally agree. I love Odyssey but this game is thinking ahead. I was genuinely surprised how good it actually was because I wasn't expecting much but Japan Studio really took the idea of the playroom minigame and expanded it tenfold. I really hope they continue messing around with this on PS5.

But you never know what'll happen next. I have a scary feeling we'll get Knack 3.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Being upset that this game isn't getting the recognition it deserves over how important it is regarding the way it pretty much changed the way platformers can be played, while at the same time going bananas decent but not that special games like Odyssey simply because... well it's Nintendo... is not console warring. Yes the game received great reviews, and that's fantastic, but where's the buzz about it on the media? Asides from a few tweets from semi-famous people pretty much mimicking that sentiment there's nothing.

It is extremly frustrating that one of the most important games of the past decade will be overlooked by many.

A guy from Waypoint recently commented here about how he'd probably get more clicks writing an article about what his favourite colour is above pretty much any VR article he could think of.

That goes a long way to explaining things I think.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A guy from Waypoint recently commented here about how he'd probably get more clicks writing an article about what his favourite colour is above pretty much any VR article he could think of.

That goes a long way to explaining things I think.
That doesn't make it any less frustrating, and there's nothing wrong with expressing that feeling here. I pretty much mimic the same feeling as Renfran had in that post. It sucks that Mario Odyssey got all the buzz it got and Astro Bot is, imo, being overlooked. Yes, both games are exclusive to different platforms, that doesn't automatically make it console warring, it's just how it is. I have both systems, Mario Odyssey did nothing to me, it was fun, but it was just another game for me. Astro Bot really felt like an evolution of the genre, something completely new filled with smart and original ideas, something we desperately needed. You know how Nintendo usually finds a new mechanic and just makes a new game out of it? Playing Astro Bot all I was thinking was on how Nintendo would probably just make a new complete game out of each new thing in an Astro Bot world, and Team Asobi just kept throwing new things in every world. All I want is more of this now.

Do you have short term memory problem?
You just wrote a few posts above "Why is it always someone with Nintendo avatars?" good gosh what a waste of time.
Except I've actually been active in this thread way before that? 0o

*edit* Wth is up with Chromes autocorrect...

Last edited: