• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to play this today for the first time at my brother in laws place since I don't have VR myself...

Absolutely phenomenal. This is the game that made me put down the headset and immediately head to the store and buy a PSVR.

Holy shit.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Just got to play this today for the first time at my brother in laws place since I don't have VR myself...

Absolutely phenomenal. This is the game that made me put down the headset and immediately head to the store and buy a PSVR.

Holy shit.
Glad to hear you loved it. I'm returning to Spider-Man after finishing this and don't get me wrong Spider-Man is an awesome game but the immersion drop off coming from Atrobot is huge and I even have a 100" screen.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I'm slowly working my way through it. I'm on World 3 now and Astro Bot is the best VR experience I've had on PSVR. Dare I say it even beats out Rez Infinite Area X for me. With Tetris Effect coming out soon, I'm finally getting back into VR after not playing it since RE:7 (which I didn't beat anyhow due to it being too stressful).

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started off my PSVR 2018/19 season with Astro Bot and my goodness is it good!
Beautiful, clean graphics, cute stuff everywhere and the gameplay/platforming is spot on. Only finished the first world and I think this is some serious GOTY material, Team Asobi delivered the game I was dreaming of since launch day after playing the Playroom demo.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Wow, I haven't bought this until today and it's amazingly fun.
Also, those who said it can't be played without VR were not kidding. I also recommend a lot of room to play it!

Extremely pleased that I finally tried it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So, I finally played the demo Today, and I gotta say. Even with 2 levels, I was smiling all the way. There's something on this game that just had me smiling. It's either the music, the charm of something else, the game feels so fun even in such a short demo. I really need to get this game as soon as I can.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic. I beat the first world and missed about 2 or 3 robots. The gameplay is spot on and the way it uses the camera minimizes motion sickness. during platform jumping scenes its mostly fixed.

Its nearly Ape Escape in terms of design and gameplay. No reason for Sony to not bring that IP to VR as well. Its a perfect fit.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic. I beat the first world and missed about 2 or 3 robots. The gameplay is spot on and the way it uses the camera minimizes motion sickness. during platform jumping scenes its mostly fixed.

Its nearly Ape Escape in terms of design and gameplay. No reason for Sony to not bring that IP to VR as well. Its a perfect fit.

There is financial reason, VR games don't sell enough.
And there's fan base backlash reason, Ape fans would be piss if new Ape only playable on PSVR.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
So I know people have been praising this game up and down and I've been playing it on and off all day after buying it yesterday.
I think this might be my game of the year so far for me.. It's really astonishing how natural and fun it is to be inside that headset playing this.
My wife told me just now that I've been sitting with a big grin on my face all day and I haven't even noticed that myself!
It's almost like discovering super mario as an eight year old again.

I also managed to find all the bots on level one just now and holy crap the last on on level 1-2 was hard to find lol.
You know which one I'm talking about.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
So I know people have been praising this game up and down and I've been playing it on and off all day after buying it yesterday.
I think this might be my game of the year so far for me.. It's really astonishing how natural and fun it is to be inside that headset playing this.
My wife told me just now that I've been sitting with a big grin on my face all day and I haven't even noticed that myself!
It's almost like discovering super mario as an eight year old again.

I also managed to find all the bots on level one just now and holy crap the last on on level 1-2 was hard to find lol.

Yeah same reasons why this is my GOTY at the moment. I also love watching others play, and take pictures of their grinning faces. Enjoy the rest of the game, you're on scratching the surface.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

drjhmrmu0aa1zm04pi7u.jpg

drjhmrsu8aavxaw23e0t.jpg

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
I hope Japan Studio can make a more-of-the-same sequel in double-quick time, around a year.

Maybe increase the versatility of the controller gimmicks and allow more than one per level. Keep the challenge levels focused on one.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
Until 4 days ago, my experience with VR was just playing around with the old gear VR that came with my S7.

A friend of mine bought a PSVR and I borrowed it for a few days. Played dozens of VR games and although I liked it a LOT, especially things like London Heist, absolutely nothing blew me away the same way Astro Boy did.

This is next level platforming. I'm completely in love. For the first time in a long time I felt like a kid again with something completely new that I didn't understand fully yet. So fucking good.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Finished it a couple days ago. Absolutely fantastic and delightful game that I just wish there was more of. That's my only complaint, really: I'd like more of it, more stages, more environments, more enemy types, more controller gadgets. With enough time, money and care, an Astrobot 2 has the potential to be among the best games of all time. Still, what is there, is simply amazing.

No, I don't, because I haven't found him yet. Grrrr. I'm replaying the game to scoop up the remaining bots, most stages that I didn't get all bots in the first time through took one extra run; 1-2 I have run thrice, still missing one.
It's not the one on the wing of the large plane that you have to throw a ball at, is it? I have that one. Anyway, don't tell me, I want to find it myself.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Finished it a couple days ago. Absolutely fantastic and delightful game that I just wish there was more of. That's my only complaint, really: I'd like more of it, more stages, more environments, more enemy types, more controller gadgets. With enough time, money and care, an Astrobot 2 has the potential to be among the best games of all time. Still, what is there, is simply amazing.

No, I don't, because I haven't found him yet. Grrrr. I'm replaying the game to scoop up the remaining bots, most stages that I didn't get all bots in the first time through took one extra run; 1-2 I have run thrice, still missing one.
It's not the one on the wing of the large plane that you have to throw a ball at, is it? I have that one. Anyway, don't tell me, I want to find it myself.

I got stuck on the same one, it's a git!

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Level 5-4 is so good (all of world 5 is tbf). This is bittersweet... I'm kinda sad it's going to be all over soon.

Somebody tell me there will be more of this shit on the horizon, DLC or sequel :'(

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Level 5-4 is so good (all of world 5 is tbf). This is bittersweet... I'm kinda sad it's going to be all over soon.

Somebody tell me there will be more of this shit on the horizon, DLC or sequel :'(
Wow you really took your time with this. Haha
Don't remember a game that gets better and better with each level and boss like this.

Oct 27, 2017
Astro Bot is one of the most memorable game experiences of my life. I've been gaming for a long ass time. I'm sitting on the floor and the little dude is like running across my lap. I stand up to have a better vantage point of the ledge. I had my folks try wipeout and they thought that was cool being in the cockpit. That isn't shit compared to this. Thankfully the game is great too based on reviews and word of mouth but this is something that needs to simply be experienced. My mind is fucking blown. Wow. Happy Turkey Day peeps. I need to take my ass to bed because I'll play this all night. Holy fuck.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Astro Bot is one of the most memorable game experiences of my life. I've been gaming for a long ass time. I'm sitting on the floor and the little dude is like running across my lap. I stand up to have a better vantage point of the ledge. I had my folks try wipeout and they thought that was cool being in the cockpit. That isn't shit compared to this. Thankfully the game is great too based on reviews and word of mouth but this is something that needs to simply be experienced. My mind is fucking blown. Wow. Happy Turkey Day peeps. I need to take my ass to bed because I'll play this all night. Holy fuck.

Great experience! wait for your comment on level 3-3 and 5-2!

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
So got a PSVR tonight with Astrobot and WOW! The sense of scale from the first level alone is something that is only achievable through VR. I can't wait to get used to VR/motion sickness over the next week so I can clock up longer and longer sessions with the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Xq4OU8o.png

2nd Platinum I've done so far, first being Spider-Man. Both were pretty easy to get. First grappling hook challenge was the toughest for me to get both robots. I first tried it by hooking something by swiping up on the pad and yanking my controller towards me to pull objects. Found it much easier and more reliable to swipe up to hook and swipe down to pull. Easy enough after I got used to that.

Definitely the best VR game I've played so far. I really hope there's a sequel to flesh out the foundation they've started. The game has a great sense of scale and place that can only be represented in VR. Not sure I agree with all the VR's Mario 64 moment though. There's so much room for improvement with this game. If there's a sequel I'm hoping for a much expanded move set for both movement and combat, more in-depth use of gadgets with maybe multiple gadgets used in a level and better camera options like being able to back up and turn your view without having to physically twist yourself around in your chair. I find myself more impressed with the tech of VR over the design of the game, if that makes sense, but there's a great start here and platformers have a bright future in VR if you ask me.

Overall though it's a great game and I'm really glad I decided to jump on the Astro Bot/Moss bundle sale even if those are the only games I play (they won't be). Will definitely be one of the first things I show people that are new to VR. Can't wait to see what Team ASOBI! has cooked up for the future. A studio to keep an eye on for sure.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Hope lots of people are getting this with the new PSVR bundles!

btw 3-3 is PS4's jolly roger bay. It has to be intentional.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Super-ultra late to this. But I just started playing this (finished RDR2, and this was my next game) and HOLY JESUS! I am only finished World 2, but 2-4 had me grinning like a little kid. Lots of games try that "rail" level in which you travel on rail jumping from rail to rail avoiding enemies or hazards, but this is the first time I'd actually had fun in a level like this.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Super-ultra late to this. But I just started playing this (finished RDR2, and this was my next game) and HOLY JESUS! I am only finished World 2, but 2-4 had me grinning like a little kid. Lots of games try that "rail" level in which you travel on rail jumping from rail to rail avoiding enemies or hazards, but this is the first time I'd actually had fun in a level like this.
I just played this level yesterday. Astounding. Mechanically it's incredibly simple, and I've played it a dozen time in games like, oh, every Ratchet. But put yourself inside it in VR, and oh wow. I was grinning like a fool. Did manage to yank the cable out while swivelling on my chair a bit too much though. Cable from the headset is too damn short.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I just played this level yesterday. Astounding. Mechanically it's incredibly simple, and I've played it a dozen time in games like, oh, every Ratchet. But put yourself inside it in VR, and oh wow. I was grinning like a fool. Did manage to yank the cable out while swivelling on my chair a bit too much though. Cable from the headset is too damn short.

This was exactly what I was thinking. I've played this kind of level in every Ratchet, and I've never find them neither fun or challenging. But VR sure changes everything; when I finished the level I actually shouted a "Fuck yeah!" and immediately replayed the level.

So far, the game has exceeded my expectations.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Thanks to you Era and your non stop gushing I've got round to picking this up on EU sale.
I'll only play later this week but excited to see what every is going crazy over.

I played the demo from Playroom and enjoyed that a lot so this should be awesome.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
I played the Astro Bot Playroom VR level after Rescue Mission and it's pretty pants by comparison.

Even the controller tracking's greatly improved in RM.