• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I won't lie. The platinum ain't been a walk in the park. I'm struggling with a few of the challenges...

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I got the game at Christmas but just got around to playing it. 3 worlds completed so far, and I have to say in my 25 years of playing video games, this is easily top 3 for me. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed every single thing about a game. This is the next gen of gaming that I never really imagined I would be experiencing as a child!

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
World 5-1 and 5-2 are spectacular. 5-2 especially with the horror theme. Wow. The game is constantly introducing new things in each level to keep it fresh. I also liked that one level where Ir reminded me of one of those endless runner games on your phone. Such an enhanced experience in VR.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...art-and-animation-of-japan-studios-ps-vr-hit/

Nice blog post on the PS Blog about Astro Bot's art and animation with some nice gifs in it.

39891228293_13c532f352_o.gif
39891228403_12f092a56a_o.gif
31914878607_25f295492a_o.gif

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the trophies it's really a shame that most people haven't even finished it yet. This game is so good so why have only 12% of players finished it? It goes from 61% of players beating the first boss down to only 12% having finished the game. Hopefully that number will rise up.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Looking at the trophies it's really a shame that most people haven't even finished it yet. This game is so good so why have only 12% of players finished it? It goes from 61% of players beating the first boss down to only 12% having finished the game. Hopefully that number will rise up.

Because the third boss sucks arse. 😂 I'm one of those people, tried about 4 times and just ended up getting frustrated. Haven't loaded it up again.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Even Maradona is playing Astro Bot:

"One at a time. It's my turn to play Astro Bot with Dieguito"

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
After a break, I am now past worlds 4 and 5 and at the final boss...Hoping to finish soon. Don't think I can finish all the challenges but that's ok with me. Got all the Gacha balls!

I love everything about this game. The carnival level was mind-blowing!

_RT_

Oct 31, 2017
Picked this game up again tonight. It's seriously spectacular. Dad. Wife. Work. It makes the whole game thing (and especially PSVR) challenging.
I've had it for 5 months and I'm only 3 levels deep.

If you are contemplating VR, do it. Just make sure this is your first game.

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing a few levels every night for the past week, and I've probably sat here open mouthed the entire time. My only regret is not playing it sooner as it's by far the best game I've played from 2018. Haven't gotten on too well with VR until now, due to the whole motion sickness thing but no such complaints here. Don't sleep on it peeps!

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
So late here but just played the first 4 levels with my wife who doesn't game..... man what and how?!? This game... like seriously had I played this last year it's up there with both RDR2 and God of War as best games of 2018. Like we are both playing and smiling the whole time. I was watching on the screen of her play and yeah looked ok. The moment those goggles go on instant grin! This game is something else. Probably so far as someone new to VR my fav game by far. Hopefully we get some form of DLC or a sequel soon

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
So late here but just played the first 4 levels with my wife who doesn't game..... man what and how?!? This game... like seriously had I played this last year it's up there with both RDR2 and God of War as best games of 2018. Like we are both playing and smiling the whole time. I was watching on the screen of her play and yeah looked ok. The moment those goggles go on instant grin! This game is something else. Probably so far as someone new to VR my fav game by far. Hopefully we get some form of DLC or a sequel soon
Another has seen the light.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Yup. It's one of the absolute classics of this generation.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Finally finished it today ! Now to find the 5 robots im missing in world 5 and well, brush up all the challenges in gold. Absolutely amazing game

Oct 29, 2017
Late to the party, put picked this up last week based on the positive reception and the hopes of getting my VR legs back in time for Blood and Truth.

I feel so silly for waiting this long to play it. Just got the platinum last evening and enjoyed every minute of it typically playing a couple levels, getting all bots in the stage, and finishing the associated challenge in the belt.

Found the game to hit just the perfect level of challenge and loved how searching for the bots and chameleon really makes you take in your surroundings and appreciate each level.

If you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend it and really hope they continue the franchise.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Picked up a PSVR for this and the other exclusives. But mainly this. It's so good! I get the Mario (especially Sunshine) comparisons to some extent, but the game feels much more in line with Ape Escape and Crash. It's a much better game than either (and it should be given how many years the genres had to develop). Hover boots mechanic comfortably alleviates platform depth perception issues, something Crash really struggled with imo (though, as a kid levels like Road to Nowhere were a fun road block, in later life i get how poor the design is). Crash 1 (mainly nostalgia, first 3d platformer i played), Super Mario Galaxy 2, and now this hold a place near and dear to me as my favourite 3d platformers.

The real strength of the game absolutely lies in the implementation of VR. It's smart and plays well, i would enjoy this without the VR implementation as a fun new platforming adventure just using the controller x ps eye for gadgets while jumping and smashing through levels with Astro Bot. PSVR pushes it into a new realm, and it feels like a pioneer for 3d platformers and vr titles in general despite not technically being the first foray into this territory. I don't think Lucky's Tale really counted, unfortunately generic and poorly controlling. Also of note, I haven't played Moss yet.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Man, what a masterpiece this game is. My second 100% playthrough managed to maintain all the magic and excitement of my first, even after showing the game to dozens of friends and thus watching them play the earlier levels plenty. Easily my #1 game of all time and don't think it will be topped anytime soon.

Don't think I've ever had such a strong desire to experience a game before and everything from the VR implementation, presentation, music, and attention to detail is spot on. So many small things, like hitting the robot with your controller at the world selection, are truly delightful.

On that note actually, does the main robot have a canon name? Is it just "Astro Bot" or "Astro" ??

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Man, what a masterpiece this game is. My second 100% playthrough managed to maintain all the magic and excitement of my first, even after showing the game to dozens of friends and thus watching them play the earlier levels plenty. Easily my #1 game of all time and don't think it will be topped anytime soon.

Don't think I've ever had such a strong desire to experience a game before and everything from the VR implementation, presentation, music, and attention to detail is spot on. So many small things, like hitting the robot with your controller at the world selection, are truly delightful.

On that note actually, does the main robot have a canon name? Is it just "Astro Bot" or "Astro" ??

I think it's Captain Astro. This game is truly amazing. After playing a dozen times, that level STILL have me automatically holding my breath.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Interesting
I think it's Captain Astro. This game is truly amazing. After playing a dozen times, that level STILL have me automatically holding my breath.
Hah searching for Captain Astro led me to the playstation.com page for the game that I probably should have checked in the first place. Had this blurb: "Take control of ASTRO the captain BOT" so I guess it would indeed be any combination of captain, astro, and bot.

And yeah, the way this game tricks you with water is genius. The beach, waves, and pools levels all nail the feeling of being submerged in completely different ways

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just saved all my little astro bots from the levels. This game is amazing. Nintendo caliber game imo.
I'm playing this right now and this was one of the thoughts that crossed my mind. This is as close as we're going to get to Mario VR for the time being. The platforming isn't that challenging (in world 4 now) and I doubt it will ever be, but I'm okay with that as I prefer VR to be more about the experience than challenge. The challenges I've done so far already hit that spot if I want to be pushed a bit more. Just youtubed the trick for hookshot highway, kept getting 1:10 there but I will get the gold now.

I love that you actually have to peek in some corners to see bots and how the game makes you platform in these weird angles by looking up or down. A very smart touch is the laser pointer for your hover... that makes all the difference in making your jumps feel precise. A shadow is nice but this just makes the precision even better and was also needed in the VR mode. They combined the spectacle of VR with really tight controls and that makes the game a lot of fun.

This didn't have the impact on me that RE7 had (that'll be hard to top), but it is maybe the overall best VR showcase because it can appeal to anyone.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Finally got the game, 15e on PSN Black Friday, and it is as great as I expected. Playing with my girlfriend and we finished stage 2-3 and we love it. She is really happy playing it, Ive never seen her like that. The VR is amazing, having to crouch, peak through corners and even jump are really great and meaningful additions to the genre. We are missing 2-3 Astrobots per level so I guess when we finish it we will replay again till we 100% everything like we did in Overcooked together.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Well. This game is amazing. Truly a mind-blowing experience. My first VR game and boy, what a game!

Sequel when?!

Oct 30, 2017
After a long time I played the game again (to show it to some family members) and it's still awesome. Can't wait for the sequel that will be released eventually.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
I need to get back to this and finish all the bonus levels.

Just hooked up my PS Eye cam again to use move controllers on Dreams, so its time to get back into PSVR!

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Halp. We're in the level that requires you to blow dandelions or something in world 2 (my BF is the one playing and described it as such). The blowing isn't registering at all. He says when he went to test the PSVR mic in the sound settings, the bar didn't move at all. Normal?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Halp. We're in the level that requires you to blow dandelions or something in world 2 (my BF is the one playing and described it as such). The blowing isn't registering at all. He says when he went to test the PSVR mic in the sound settings, the bar didn't move at all. Normal?
Dumb question but have you muted the mic? The button is on the inline remote for a v1 headset, below the power button. On the v2 headset it's on the helmet itself.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but have you muted the mic? The button is on the inline remote for a v1 headset, below the power button. On the v2 headset it's on the helmet itself.
We definitely checked that, thanks though. We've done everything at this point. Power cycled the headset, the VR unit, the system, ensured all cables are snug, nothing's muted, etc. No dice.

Sucks that all our progress in the game has stalled while we can't get past this fucking dandelion. :(

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, this game is amazing, i am just in second world but what an amazing experience, this must be one of the best looking games to psvr?

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I loved the time I spent with Astro Bot. I hadn't felt like that since I bought an N64 on launch day with Mario 64, in other words, it felt ground breaking. But I hit a brick wall with the 3rd boss and ended up sticking the game in the backlog pile.