• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Deserved.

One of the most under-appreciated highly-rated games out there, probably because its VR only.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh i was just making a thread for this news. very awesome, congrats to the the team.

here's a list of the nominees:
  • ASTRO BOT RESCUE MISSION by SIE Japan Studio/Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe
  • CHIMPARTY by NapNok Games/ Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe
  • LEGO DC SUPER-VILLAINS by TT Games/WB Games
  • OVERCOOKED 2 by Ghost Town Games/Team17

here's a list of past winners:
  • 2007: Buzz! Junior: Jungle Party
  • 2008: Lego Batman: The Videogame
  • 2009: LittleBigPlanet
  • 2010: Rabbids Go Home
  • 2011: Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
  • 2012: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
  • 2013: Skylanders: Giants
  • 2014: Mario Kart 8
  • 2015: Splatoon
  • 2016: Lego Dimensions
  • 2017: Pokémon Go
  • 2018: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Would've won more without VR.
there's only one gaming category at the bafta children's award.

Last edited:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. This would be magical to play as a kid. But it's also the best game for adults. ;)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
fully deserved, its a phenomenal game and was one of my first VR experiences. its a game that really leverages virtual reality and has been made for the ground up for that platform.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
An amazing experience for kids but also for older gamers :)

The day when Sony announces Astro Bot 2, will be a good day.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Deserving of a reward and I hope many more rewards are to come. VR is what made the game so special and I'm glad to see it getting the recognition it well and truly deserves.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Would've won more without VR.

Literally would be a completely different game without VR, so I fail to see how anyone who's not a dimension traveller from that universe could possibly know.

For what it's worth (which is very little, as per the above), my money is on "would have been a really good platformer that would still fall short of the Mario standard and probably wouldn't be considered for game awards."

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I felt that having access to this game by itself fully justified my purchase of a PSVR - such a joy.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Nice to see AB still getting some love one year later. Such an incredible game.

Can't wait to see what ASOBI has planned next.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Astro Bot is actually my overall 2018 Game of the Year, so congratu fucking lations!

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think many on gaming enthusiast forums know how much clout a BAFTA nomination, let alone a BAFTA win, carries here in Europe.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It would be weird without vr. VR solves the platformer camera problem and the game takes advantage of that.

Apr 21, 2018
Wait, didn't Astro Boy come out last year? I bought it with PSVR on a black friday sale...

but absolutely deserved. No game has made me chuckle giddily when by myself.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Why not call it at least "Family Game Award" or something along those lines? "Children" sounds so condescending in this context.

'Family' TV shows and the like are generally known as 'Children's TV' in the U.K. These Children's BAFTA awards cover things like that. CBBC (Children's BBC), Horrible Histories, pre-school TV shows and stuff.

They do cover some more varied family entertainment though. Spider-Man Enter the Spider Verse won an award. But the children's game award generally leans more towards games aimed at a younger crowd than the regular BAFTAs. It's things like the LEGO games or Skylanders and such often.

It's pretty bloody great that they host awards like these. A BAFTA means a lot. 'BAFTA Award winning' is a pretty powerful thing to have after your studio name!

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
I can understand, it's a magical experience that made me feel like a kid again. I should go back and platinum it one of these days.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, amazing game. A Disney World attraction in your living room. Can't wait to see if it's getting a sequel.