• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
image0.png

Sic Parvis Magna
Whoa did you draw this? Astro Bot girl is cute and LocoRoco is HUUUUUGE!!

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that title still goes to Resident Evil imho.

Astrobot is a great, but the VR in it is underwhelming compared to many other VR titles.

Nov 8, 2017
I think if RE7 was reviewed strictly as a VR title it would have been in the mid 9s on Metacritic. The TV version felt stripped of its soul.
I agree with this. Same goes for Wipeout Omega Collection, and perhaps Thumper too. Most critic scores are based on playing them on a TV, yet they're far better in VR, so no reason to doubt the score wouldn't have been higher if they were VR-only.

That's not to downplay the success of Astro Bot of course, it 's still a fantastic game.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to have to watch some videos of it in action. Congrats to the team!

Videos don't really do it justice at all.
I watch the tv feed while people play it on my headset and it doesn't look all that impressive, but I know from playing it that those levels look amazing when you are placed in them with vr.

Everyone in my family is into playing this, which basically never happens.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we got a pro in our home, might have to ask around to see if anyone has psvr and a copy of this so i can borrow. i'm interested in this not because it's a VR game, but because i love 3D platformers and it's a genre that's REALLY hard to get right, good 3D platformers are very few. i want to see if it is indeed as good as people say.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Its shouldn't be just the acclaimed VR of all time. This is a platform game that's better than any current Mario game. Never in my lifetime have been able to say that. This game is not only a Mario killer, but its also completely restores my faith in Sony Japan Studios. Who up until now, have been completely outclassed by the In-House studios in SONY West

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 and Astrobot it's like opposite end of VR.
One game is terrifying another is super jolly. RE7 start strong and gradually less scary, Astrobot get better and better and end on a high note
Both deserved to be experience by everyone, VR is really cool.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Videos don't really do it justice at all.
I watch the tv feed while people play it on my headset and it doesn't look all that impressive, but I know from playing it that those levels look amazing when you are placed in them with vr.

Everyone in my family is into playing this, which basically never happens.

I know, that's the problem with VR games. Videos can't capture just how awesome games are in VR.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lone Echo 2 is coming, so they might not keep that for long. But what an accomplishment.
I sold my rift (and PSVR) but a Lone Echo 2 might make me rebuy. The immersion in that first game was better than anything else I've ever experienced and the unique approach to locomotion was absolutely genius. Flinging yourself from wall to wall in zero gravity blew my tits off. And didn't make me the least bit nauseous.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It is fantastic. I think people should also check out No Heroes Allowed VR.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
"I'll get it by Christmas" just turned into "Why am I waiting when everyone else's having so much fun?!?"

I'll get it by the end of the month :3

Seeing a PSVR game with so much critical acclaim has me excited as much as I was for RE VII.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
The latest issue of Edge is out and there's no review of Astro Bot. Nothing can stop the little fella on Metacritic now (for a month anyway).

Feb 15, 2018
RE7 and Astrobot it's like opposite end of VR.
One game is terrifying another is super jolly. RE7 start strong and gradually less scary, Astrobot get better and better and end on a high note
Both deserved to be experience by everyone, VR is really cool.

Which is why I'm going to play 7 over Halloween and Astrobot over Xmas .

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like to point out that beat saber has almost 6000 reviews on steam, 98% of them being overwhelmingly positive.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Do they mean critically acclaimed like one might have critically acclaimed Mario 64 back in the day? ;)

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Sony should do a normal version too. Would sell more.

That would be pretty pointless. It would just be a middle of the road 3D platformer then, albeit more charming than most.

The actual platforming mechanics of astrobot are nothing to write home about. Astrobot has a Jump, double jump (with Mario sunshine hover), punch and spin punch. He's also quite slow (probably to avoid motion sickness as the camera follows him). There are none of the nuanced control options or feel of momentum that you get with a 3D mario game. There's no side cartwheel jump, no dive, butt stomp, slide, backflip, long jump, triple jump, tornado spin jump, hat throwing, power up suits with new mechanics etc. people saying that it beats Mario odyssey in pure platforming for example are out of their minds imo.

But it doesn't need all of that really, because it uses the strengths and constraints of vr in really clever and fun ways. The game is more about thoughtful, slow progression. About looking around you methodically in 3D space to find secrets and alternate paths. Its about being able to easily navigate your little astrobot through dangerous platforms that are really far away from you, or above/below you, control that is only possible because you can see astrobot in 3D space, and it's intuitive which way to push the stick, because it's in relation to your own head in that 3D space. Controling a character through those same platforms and angles would be frustrating if not impossible on a normal TV. It's a game that is built FOR VR. Playing it on a tv would just not work.