• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
image0.png

Sic Parvis Magna

Astrobot is a girl?
Well honestly, I can't really tell from the picture lol.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Congratulations to Asobi. A game that was unceremoniously announced two weeks before E3, made by a no-name team, yet these are the results. Always nice to see the underdog prevail.

So when are we getting Jumping Flash! VR by Japan Studio.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Moving apartments in a few weeks - i'll definitely going to make my TV set-up a lot more compatible with VR. - Especially with regards to wiring the PS camera to my TV furniture. Like, i'll run the wire all the way to the bottom of the top shelf, i think. - and i'll just move the footstool when i need to do standing-VR.
i39hJdy.png

Can't wait to play this, SuperHOT and Beatsaber (once it comes out)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moving apartments in a few weeks - i'll definitely going to make my TV set-up a lot more compatible with VR. - Especially with regards to wiring the PS camera to my TV furniture. Like, i'll run the wire all the way to the bottom of the top shelf, i think. - and i'll just move the footstool when i need to do standing-VR.
i39hJdy.png

Dunno how it'd jive with the rest of that space, but switching the couch and loveseat around would probably be wiser. In VR, you tend to strafe more than you move laterally along Z-axis, due to the nature of the medium. For VR play, you could move the ottoman and push the love seat to the corner, and that'd give you a lot of space to strafe left and right.

EDIT: Also, is that a mirror behind the couch? That'll cause problems with the tracking.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno how it'd jive with the rest of that space, but switching the couch and loveseat around would probably be wiser. In VR, you tend to strafe more than you move laterally along Z-axis, due to the nature of the medium. For VR play, you could move the ottoman and push the love seat to the corner, and that'd give you a lot of space to strafe left and right.

EDIT: Also, is that a mirror behind the couch? That'll cause problems with the tracking.
Haha, that's a window ...

Also, can't switch around any of it, it's meticulously planned, already. It's a Kitchen / Dining room / TV area all-in-the-same-room situation, which kinda dictates this kind of setup. But thanks for the pointers, still. VR isn't quite so important to me that i'd compromise on furniture placement. But right now, our living room is even more compact - so my PSVR is mostly collecting dust, which is a huge bummer.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, that's a window ...

Also, can't switch around any of it, it's meticulously planned, already. It's a Kitchen / Dining room / TV area all-in-the-same-room situation, which kinda dictates this kind of setup. But thanks for the pointers, still. VR isn't quite so important to me that i'd compromise on furniture placement. But right now, our living room is even more compact - so my PSVR is mostly collecting dust, which is a huge bummer.

You could still accomplish what I suggest by not placing the PSVR camera directly in front of the TV. Instead, use a USB extender and route it along your wall so that it's opposite the couch. You don't actually have to face the TV screen in VR, since you won't be seeing the screen normally.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
You could still accomplish what I suggest by not placing the PSVR camera directly in front of the TV. Instead, use a USB extender and route it along your wall so that it's opposite the couch. You don't actually have to face the TV screen in VR, since you won't be seeing the screen normally.
There's nothing "opposite the couch" - or rather, there's a whole nother half of room opposite the couch ;)
The TV area is merely a 'quadrant'.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing "opposite the couch" - or rather, there's a whole nother half of room opposite the couch ;)
The TV area is merely a 'quadrant'.

There's a wall opposite the couch next to the book shelf. Like this:

ub0NaQb.png

Run a USB extender (shown in red) along your baseboards and the book shelf to hide the cable, so that the camera (blue line with green dot) is far along the opposite wall high up. That would actually provide the best tracking possible for PSVR -- the tracking cone works best when it's farther away and higher up.

This way, when you play, you could just scoot both your ottoman and your love seat over and you'd wind up with a very large tracked area.

EDIT: To clarify, when you'd play VR games, you'd face your dining area.

Last edited:

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I'm surprised by the fact that a small team developed it. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean greater quality, in this case they seem to have absolutely nailed it - the kind of game they wanted to make is a great fit. Is that the average size for VR game development? I suppose the market is not big enough to afford having big teams to create them.

I give it a 0/10 until it comes to pc

Uh...

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
There's a wall opposite the couch next to the book shelf. Like this:

ub0NaQb.png

Run a USB extender (shown in red) along your baseboards and the book shelf to hide the cable, so that the camera (blue line with green dot) is far along the opposite wall high up. That would actually provide the best tracking possible for PSVR -- the tracking cone works best when it's farther away and higher up.

This way, when you play, you could just scoot both your ottoman and your love seat over and you'd wind up with a very large tracked area.

EDIT: To clarify, when you'd play VR games, you'd face your dining area.

I get that, but i'm not gonna run a cable up there. Especially not for PSVR - the most limited of 'room scale VR' platforms.
I don't need that much space, anyways. just a little more than i currently have. - which was just about enough to play Job Simulator.
Again, i appreciate the advice, but i don't need to / nor do i want to commit that hard to VR. ;)

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Lone Echo 2 is coming, so they might not keep that for long. But what an accomplishment.

I think sheer numbers alone will keep it above anything on PC (unfortunately?)

People were very forgiving with Lone Echo, the second half can be a real slog. The first half is absolutely incredible though. I want a Lone Echo + Elite Dangerous game SO BAD

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Only played the first couple of levels but it's good fun, looking forward to seeing the kids reactions to it later.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deserved, game made me buy a PSVR and no regrets so far, it acted as a great entry door to PSVR's library.

The soundtrack is something special as well, so many ear worms.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously that's also true in the opposite direction.
The more reviews you have, the more accurate average you get.
That's exactly my point - it's not a big deal that this game is "the most critically acclaimed vr game of all time", because the reason for that is it got more reviews than most other vr games, not that it got better scores. When a game only gets a few reviews, one low score brings the average down considerably, when it gets lots of reviews, that mitigates outlier low scores, and that's the case here. I'm not saying this game's score is inaccurate, I'm saying that other great games' scores are.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's exactly my point - it's not a big deal that this game is "the most critically acclaimed vr game of all time", because the reason for that is it got more reviews than most other vr games, not that it got better scores. When a game only gets a few reviews, one low score brings the average down considerably, when it gets lots of reviews, that mitigates outlier low scores, and that's the case here. I'm not saying this game's score is inaccurate, I'm saying that other great games' scores are.
Usually, more scores bring a lower final score. From my experience, it tends to descent

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
"Of all time" seems like a weird phrase for something ~2 years old..

Glad it scored well though, vr needs some heavy hitters.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Lots of reviews mitigates outlier high scores as well as low scores. It goes both ways. More reviews, a bigger sampling size, give a more accurate average.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't tend to descend or ascend, it tends to move towards the actual consensus. This means more scores will move a score that is too low up, and a score that is too high down. This is literally how averages work.
That's true, but very bad scores are rare and they don't usually appear in the first 10 scores. End then a bad score appears and lowers the average.
That's my point,
but not all games have necessary bad scores.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
i39hJdy.png

Don't forget that the camera does not need to be anywhere in the same direction of the tv. You can have the camera setup (or move the camera) so you're off to the side when doing VR standing. You don't have to be facing the TV.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I would also recommend RE7 VR if ppl have not played it. It is absolutely Jaw dropping!

Oct 25, 2017
I need to pick this up, even though I have no clue when I'll be able to actually play it >_<
Woah. Has the team confirmed this in a interview? Impressive accomplishment considering the small team size and overwhelmingly positive reception. This is probably the game that will make me buy the PSVR headset.
Reminds me of the PS1 platformer days when the likes of Spyro and Crash were made with a main team of 10-20 people. Sometimes less.