• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So me and my SO decided to open Xmas gifts early because why not, we are grown and have no kids.

I was gifted the astrobot/moss psvr bundle. Prior to yesterday, I have never experienced any VR content. Let me just say, playing Astrobot as your first VR experience is probably similar to driving a Lamborghini as your first car....I was not ready.

My mind was blown like every five seconds for the first hour and my SO is just cracking up at my reactions while I play. I can't help but just grin the whole time. The bots cuteness in combination with the soundtrack and just having my mind blown every moment was sensory overload. It really did make me feel like a child playing a 3D game for the first time.

I've only completed the first world but I can already see how well designed the game is. The head tracking to change perspective is just next level stuff. I'm excited to play more today and I can't wait to see how the SO reacts when they try it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, having its very first VR experience with Astro Bot must be something unique, as it's already a major and fulfilling experience even after 2 years of PS VR games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, having its very first VR experience with Astro Bot must be something unique, as it's already a major and fulfilling experience even after 2 years of PS VR games.
Yea, it's definitely nailing something some others games aren't. I have now played some of the demo disc, and the highs haven't been the same. That Star Child game seems pretty cool though. Still need to try Moss, Wipeout, and RE7

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna play it so badly, made the mistake of buying Tetris Effect instead and found out Tetris annoys my ADHD too much to put much time into it.

Moss and Astrobots demos were goddamn amazing by themselves so Ive got both on mind when theyre on sale

Oct 25, 2017
Astrobot was the first VR game I played as well. Never been sold on a new platform so fast.

It's immensely charming and one of the, if not the, best platformer I've played in recent times.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me this game was a revelation regarding what I should expect from VR. I've tried it before and thought it was cool and all but when I played Astro Bot a couple of months ago, it changed my perception about the possibilities VR can provides to enhance a videogame genre. In Astro Bot's case, platforming is taken to a whole another level. Character's movement isn't as complex as let's say Odyssey, but the level layouts and how you interact with them was a step above it.

Nov 30, 2017
Yea, it's definitely nailing something some others games aren't. I have now played some of the demo disc, and the highs haven't been the same. That Star Child game seems pretty cool though. Still need to try Moss, Wipeout, and RE7
Wipeout is badass. Um buying Ace Combat just for this. Dogfighting in an F15 in VR.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me this game was a revelation regarding what I should expect from VR. I've tried it before and thought it was cool and all but when I played Astro Bot a couple of months ago, it changed my perception about the possibilities VR can provides to enhance a videogame genre. In Astro Bot's case, platforming is taken to a whole another level. Character's movement isn't as complex as let's say Odyssey, but the level layouts and how you interact with them was a step above it.
Exactly, while I'm playing I keep thinking to myself, "wow, this was never possible" in regards to game design. I love how something as simple as just moving your head forward to see a different perspective adds so much depth to the level design and opens up new player interactions.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Lol there are so many threads like this here and on the various forums I visit.

Glad you're enjoying it too.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Amen. I finished it over a month ago, but I'm still going back to it to play my favorite levels. I ran out of patience with some of the challenge levels, though.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It never grows old to see how many people fall instantly in love with Astro Bot. Which is understandable, it's an absolutely exceptional game.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Agree so much. It was like when i was a kid, wanted so much to see what would the next stage look and play, and one of a sudden reaching the end and not wanting to finish the game. It is so straight forward, like old games or arcades, just fun, no superfluous content.
I felt like i was 10 yo again.

And i think there's a lot of room to improve. VR can be even better than the indie games irruption, because all genres, including the ones not popular anymore, can be back again as the first time.

Oh and i hope the success of Astrobot give us a sequel or dlc sooner than later.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I'm really thinking hard about what happened with Astrobot for me. It might be my game of the year. The thing that makes me confused is that I also played God of War and I'm also at 20% complete for Red Dead 2. Both of these games are technical accomplishments that cost millions and millions to make, but here I am crazy with Astrobot, how happy it made me feel and I can stop thinking about it. Specially the soundtrack stays in your head like no other game for me in a long time. I feld sad when it ended.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really thinking hard about what happened with Astrobot for me. It might be my game of the year. The thing that makes me confused is that I also played God of War and I'm also at 20% complete for Red Dead 2. Both of these games are technical accomplishments that cost millions and millions to make, but here I am crazy with Astrobot, how happy it made me feel and I can stop thinking about it. Specially the soundtrack stays in your head like no other game for me in a long time. I feld sad when it ended.
I already had GOW and RDR2 as lock for my GOTY but I think this game may shake the list up

Oct 2, 2018
Yeah this is an incredible game. I loved it so much. It was gonna be my GOTY til Beat Saber knocked it off but its a very very close second. I might have to think about that a bit. But the gameplay experience was pure joy