• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to make this sound like videogames have been lame prior to VR. (The last two years or so have been so great). But, playing Astrobot in VR really feels like a leap forward we haven't had in a loooooong time.

I know people have praised it before, but it can't be said enough. VR certainly still has issues (barrier of entry, image fuzziness, finicky PSEye), but all of these (except maybe price point) feel like nitpicky, small issues when a game like Astrobot shows what can be achieved in the medium. (Playing it also made me wonder what Nintendo could make in an open 3D Mario if they were chasing VR).

I can't wait to see all these kinks ironed out, and hopefully an Astrobot 2 down the line. If you can afford the investment but on the fence, take the plunge now!

EDIT:

Wow-factor, not two-factor. Thanks autocorrect.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Two-factor lol thought something had been hacked for a second.

But yeah that Astro Bot. Decent game, would prefer it without VR though personally.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I fear playing this game because I'm certain that those VR headsets are equipped with a mind mixer of some sorts encouraging players to make a thread on Era about how great it is

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow-factor, not two-factor. Thanks autocorrect.
that reminds me, i need to turn on two factor on a bunch of my accounts

I fear playing this game because I'm certain that those VR headsets are equipped with a mind mixer of some sorts encouraging players to make a thread on Era about how great it is
maybe the game is just a legit great and impressive game for the people who play it?

Oct 27, 2017
Rotherham, England

But yeah that Astro Bot. Decent game, would prefer it without VR though personally.

I really can't see how it would work without VR. The beauty of it being in VR is that you're actually in control of two characters simultaneously, yourself and Astro Bot. So Astro Bot can be doing one thing while you're flinging hookshots around or headbutting enemies etc.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Agreed, it felt like playing Mario 64 and Mario 3D Land for the first time, people keep asking if we're overselling the game but the game's really THAT special from the moment you boot it up and load in that first level.

You loose your debt perception, I had to guide my parents through the levels explaining them the controls and mechanics and just looking at the tv was rough because platforms, places in which you can go in to disappear because you lack dept perception.

Oct 25, 2017
Having a Rift makes it hard for me to step down to the PSVR. However, Sony has some great exclusives. I'm hopeful for a PS5/PSVR2 launch that has some backwards compatibility so I can enjoy some of these exclusives.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same thing for me when I went from 60hz screens to 144hz+ screens, there is just no going back.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Astro BOTY!

I completely agree with you OP, VR and especially Astro Bot is a real leap forward in gaming which I haven't witnessed in quite some time. Fortunately I can still enjoy playing games on my small 2D screen too.

Outstanding achievement Team Asobi, Astro Bot 2 needs to happen someday, if Knack can do it, then so can Astro!

giphy.gif

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Astro BOTY!

I completely agree with you OP, VR and especially Astro Bot is a real leap forward in gaming which I haven't witnessed in quite some time. Fortunately I can still enjoy playing games on my small 2D screen too.

Outstanding achievement Team Asobi, Astro Bot 2 needs to happen someday, if Knack can do it, then so can Astro!

giphy.gif

Shuhei Yoshida's love for VR and his role as the president of world wide studios, I believe we'll most definitely see a sequel.

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I feel that way too, OP. I completed the game last night (World 5's boss is ridiculously impressive), and the future is so exciting. ASOBI! Team must've learned so much valuable stuff during development of Astro Bot. The expansion of their ideas coupled with the improvements in hardware (PS5 and PSVR2) for the inevitable sequel is fascinating to think about. If Astro Bot to Astro Bot 2 is anything like the Uncharted to Uncharted 2 leap then it'll blow minds.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I plan to play Astro Bot soon but for me I already had that feeling with RE7 in VR. I've said it before but its affect was so strong that the question went from "do I want to play this game again" to "do I want to go back into the house again". Eventually that became a no just because of how unnerving and scary it was, but I would recommend anyone that can play it does, because the experience itself was one apart from any game I'd played before it. Physically turning around in the corridor to see the door you entered through now closed, leaning around corners and being able to physically lean over and look at objects to inspect them in more detail and/or see around them,. These, and many others like them - like the fantastic audio, are things that elevated it beyond just playing a game to experiencing one in such a large fashion that, as you say, it really is like the leap from 2D into 3D.

Even Bound captured me in a way that 'flat' (and I dislike the way the term is used derogatively) games simply couldn't before. If VR weren't a thing and I'd played Bound I'd likely be praising it and its art direction. I'd have had a great time with it and found it a good experience for what I knew was possible. Experiencing it in VR just takes it to another level though, to the point where you're not just witnessing the art direction but are wrapped up in it and interacting with it. VR transforms some games in a way that's hard to articulate with words outside of the standard phrases like 'atmosphere', 'immersion' and 'sense of scale' that have been so well trodden (and rightly so) in traditional games before VR, that they don't seem to quite match the depth of what's being described.

I had always thought VR sounded really neat and wanted to try it some day but wasn't actively looking to jump in, but found myself fortunate enough to receive a PSVR as a present from a friend. It blew me away instantly (I started with the Astro Bot demo) and it really does open you up to the potential for what games could become. That's not in place of traditional games, and certainly wouldn't be suitable in everything (I don't see God of War being improved by it for example), but it really does make you aware of just how good some concepts could be with it and how much it can enhance the player experience.

Will be playing Astro Bot in the coming weeks and, judging by the reception and this OP, I only think it'll serve to strength those opinions on VR. Not simply because it's been a bit since I last played the PSVR and every time I come back after a break it's always even better than I remembered.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Shuhei Yoshida's love for VR and his role as the president of world wide studios, I believe we'll most definitely see a sequel.

Astro Bot 2 is pretty much a done deal, with all the praise it got from critics and gamers alike, but maybe they have some other idea they want to work on next, we'll see. Are there any recent Team Asobi interviews floating around, maybe they talked about some future plans.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I still haven't made a thread about it. That said, I believe I've posted in pretty much every single Astro Bot thread.

It really is as great as everyone is saying.

Join us.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
To everyone dog-piling Raijinto I think he has issues with VR, nausea and the like so it's more of a personal issue with the platform. I might be wrong though , and he does so love to pop into Astro Bot threads.
That's fair if he isn't able to enjoy Astro Bot due to nausea, but it wouldn't work without VR as it would have to be a new game made as a spinoff, and just would never be as good as the original no matter what they do.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
That's not in place of traditional games, and certainly wouldn't be suitable in everything (I don't see God of War being improved by it for example), but it really does make you aware of just how good some concepts could be with it and how much it can enhance the player experience.
God of War would be great in VR. Hellblade in VR was the definitive version and that used the same over-the-shoulder style camera. As long as a game is adapted correctly, VR generally becomes the best way to play.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
God of War would be great in VR. Hellblade in VR was the definitive version and that used the same over-the-shoulder style camera. As long as a game is adapted correctly, VR generally becomes the best way to play.
Fair enough, I certainly wouldn't say no to seeing how it would play!

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Astro Bot 2 is pretty much a done deal, with all the praise it got from critics and gamers alike, but maybe they have some other idea they want to work on next, we'll see. Are there any recent Team Asobi interviews floating around, maybe they talked about some future plans.

I hope you're right :)

I haven't come across any interviews, I'll share them if I do.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Damn. I gotta try this with how many threads it gets here.

I think I'm gunna wait, though. I've tried PSVR, Oculus, and Vive at this point. And the majority of the games ended up feeling like arcade experiences more than anything else. And the cord wrangling is a hassle. I'm hoping the next Playstation has wireless VR.

Oct 28, 2017
I laughed at the first "Mario 64 moment" thing before Astro Bot released. Ridiculous statement.

Then I played it. Astro Bot is the real deal. VR is the real deal. I can't remember the last time a game wowed me the way Astro Bot did.

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Damn. I gotta try this with how many threads it gets here.

I think I'm gunna wait, though. I've tried PSVR, Oculus, and Vive at this point. And the majority of the games ended up feeling like arcade experiences more than anything else. And the cord wrangling is a hassle. I'm hoping the next Playstation has wireless VR.

Wireless is preferable, obviously, but I didn't have any issues at all throughout Astro Bot. The cord draped behind my left shoulder while I sat in a swivel chair to spin left or right and to look behind me. Worked perfectly. :)

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
It's basically a Mario 64 rip off with a slight vr camera. Even the music of the first level sounds like a remix of a Mario song.

That's why everyone is comparing it to Mario.