• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/new-york-times-and-the-return-of-astrology/

Belief in astrology, the notion that the relative positions of planets and start affect our personality and perhaps our destiny, has been measured at about 25% in the UK, Canada and US in recent decades. However, as researchers, Nicholas Campion, points out, the number depends greatly on what exactly you ask:

In one of my groups – of mostly male students aged 18 to 21 – I found that 70% read a horoscope column once a month and 51% valued its advice. Other questions produced a huge variation: 98% knew their sun sign, 45% thought it described their personalities, 25% said it can make accurate forecasts, and 20% think the stars influence life on Earth. The higher figures are close to previous research which showed that 73% of British adults believe in astrology, while the lowest figures are similar to those found by Gallup's polls.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear too many people say they ironically read astrology because it's fun but they don't trust it. Bullshit you're just ashamed.

Oct 27, 2017
Burton closes with a frustrating justification for nonsense:

Now, I'm not stupid. I may be a woo-woo, crystal-worshiping homosexual, but I know that a polished red rock is not going to heal my tailbone. It's not going to bring my mom back either. It may not do a thing. But none of us know anything about anything, really. So why not be open to the possibility of hope?

She is trying to have it both ways – convincing herself that she is "not stupid" but also leaving the door open for anything. I find this typical of millennial culture, kneeling at the alter of tolerance, and taking on a persona of "chill", to such a degree that it just feels wrong to condemn anything, even pure nonsense. These are virtues, but as Aristotle figured out thousands of years ago – everything in balance.

Same exact foolishness we saw in the ghost thread.
Millennials were a mistake.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
Don't know about other places, but in Brazil it was always big.

We even have a twitter meltdown recently about it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if the believe that the earth is actually flat has come back for some folks astrology being on the rise worldwide is not surprising sadly.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
My ex is really into it but would consider herself half the next sign because it was like a week away when it suited her. Fucking joke lol.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This type of stuff is all over tinder. I even had a date who was surprised we got along because she'd never had a good date with a scorpio smh.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
In kayfabe, If we didn't know Pluto existed until the 1930's, are all the horoscopes before then just wrong?

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017

Now you may find it inconceivable
Or at the very least a bit unlikely
That the relative position of the planets
And the stars could have a special deep significance
Or meaning that exclusively applies to only you
But let me give you my assurance
That these forecasts and predictions
Are all based on solid, scientific, documented evidence
So you would have to be some kind of moron not to realize
That every single one of them is absolutely true

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People will come to their senses again and stop believing once Venus comes out of retrograde.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I technically classify as a "Leo" and I never have anywhere near the luck that my horoscope claims I do so yeah, it's all bullshit.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
There is a correlation between first dates asking questions about my "sign" and there never being a second date.

Oct 27, 2017
I hear too many people say they ironically read astrology because it's fun but they don't trust it. Bullshit you're just ashamed.
My gf is into for fun. We have had friendly arguments about it, but as somebody that gets into the history of fiction like Westeros or Star Trek I don't have much of a leg to stand on when throwing stones. I'm into fake shit.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I am baffled by the popularity and hate it all. I'm a typical Aquarius in that way.

iseta

Jun 26, 2018
Jupiter
And what's wrong with it? I don't see any problem with birth charts and stuff like that as long as you're not being completely serious about it.

Oct 26, 2017
81FcnqqmoSL._SX385_.jpg

Russell and Nintendo gonna make bank

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the state of the world right now, I wouldn't be shocked if witchcraft and voodoo make a comeback.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
And what's wrong with it? I don't see any problem with birth charts and stuff like that as long as you're not being completely serious about it.

Yeah, I see people who I like and respect vaguely chatting about it on social media. They generally seem to describe it as a bit of fun, and I seriously doubt they actually make sincere decisions or life choices based on astrology (i'm sure some people do, but I think a majority probably just see it as a bit of fun).

It's at least a bit more interesting than posts on Facebook of "The following people are annoying girlfiends.... [List of 10 popular women's names]". The amount posts like that are shared show there is a clear enjoyment people get out of... I guess pretending there is something deterministic about our actions? But I'd say (or at least hope) the vast majority sharing those pictures know it's a load of nonsense. Astrology just seems a version of that with effort behind it.

Basically, I agree that if people just see it as a bit of fun, there's no harm, but it still baffles me a bit.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
The danger with this stuff is not so much astrology as a casual interest on its face, it's that it's another avenue for people to get introduced into a lot of other bullshit those circles of people run deep in.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the internet would make people smarter but no... The whole world is getting dumber every passing second.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people just read it for fun and entertainment. I don't see the need to fret over it.

Most of the time it's just good advice ("Trust in your instincts") repackaged in a vaguely mystical way.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who grew up with astrology (parental figures were new age-y), I don't take it seriously. I used to believe it hardcore as a kid, but I've seen too much evidence of the contrary. It is fun tho. Almost like an offline mmo with classes and shit. I don't think too many take it seriously because it has factually 0 scientific evidence behind it, but are open to the possibility of it being real.

Typical INTJ.

Society is post-post-modern & post-ironic now after 20 years of memes in popular culture. It's not a hard pill to swallow.

Last edited:

iseta

Jun 26, 2018
Jupiter
Yeah, I see people who I like and respect vaguely chatting about it on social media. They generally seem to describe it as a bit of fun, and I seriously doubt they actually make sincere decisions or life choices based on astrology (i'm sure some people do, but I think a majority probably just see it as a bit of fun).

It's at least a bit more interesting than posts on Facebook of "The following people are annoying girlfiends.... [List of 10 popular women's names]". The amount posts like that are shared show there is a clear enjoyment people get out of... I guess pretending there is something deterministic about our actions? But I'd say (or at least hope) the vast majority sharing those pictures know it's a load of nonsense. Astrology just seems a version of that with effort behind it.

Basically, I agree that if people just see it as a bit of fun, there's no harm, but it still baffles me a bit.

Well, there are a lot of stupid people in this field. For me it has always been "Well, some things on my birth chart might be true, some things might be bullshit." but the huge trend right now seems to be the "NO-HUH HONEY ARE YOU INSANE HE'S A GEMINI AND YOU'RE A PISCES WHAT THE FUUUUUCKKK ARE YOU INSANE??". I think it's just kind of a silly meme like you've cited above until people go crazy about it like a few girls I met on college back then who had spreadsheets with the names of the boys they kissed, the rate of the kiss and their sun sign. Now that was weird.

If you're using it routinely then you are serious about it, regardless of what you tell yourself.
Yeah, that's not my case either. I don't see any problem with it as long as people don't judge you entirely based on your sun/moon/rising sign. It's pretty much just an internal meme or something like that.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
It makes perfect sense. People want a sense of control and structure in a chaotic universe. You can apply the same reasoning to the Myers-Briggs type indicator and IQ tests, which most people here believe in.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Astrology is obvious baloney

Chinese horoscope, on the other hand, is 100% legit are you guys rats or sheep

I am a monkey which means I am very funny, so knock knock who's there boo boo who why are you crying XD

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I really don't understand why astrology produces such strong reactions and everyone has to beat up on how stupid everyone is who reads it. It's just for fun. My girlfriend is into astrology and people love to "explain" to her how it's all made up, as if she genuinely believes that the position of a planet is directly going to change something in her life. We are aware that all horoscopes are broad enough that anyone can see themselves in it, it's still usually decent life advice packaged in a fun way that can spur a thought or conversation. She recently gave me a tarot card reading for fun and it sparked a really great conversation about my brother. Neither of us were thinking that the cards were literally destined to come up in a specific way, but it was a good vehicle for creating a productive conversation so why bash it?

The placebo effect is also real, and there is some evidence that just by reading and believing your horoscope you are more likely to act it out.

I'm sure everyone here does all kinds of odd behavior daily out of superstition, so I'm not sure why astrology attracts so much hate. I always suspected it has a lot to do with how women are typically much more interested in astrology. When men talk about superstitions in sports no one tries to explain away their superstitions, they get that it's just silly and fun. When astrology comes up though, it's about stupid illogical women believing nonsense. Meh.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
It's an alright conversation topic. There's no harm in knowing about it even if you think it's a disgraceful pseudoscience for stupid humans who want to be special. People really need to relax. Showing friendliness is more important than showing intellect, whatever you may want to tell yourself.

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't understand why astrology produces such strong reactions and everyone has to beat up on how stupid everyone is who reads it. It's just for fun. My girlfriend is into astrology and people love to "explain" to her how it's all made up, as if she genuinely believes that the position of a planet is directly going to change something in her life. We are aware that all horoscopes are broad enough that anyone can see themselves in it, it's still usually decent life advice packaged in a fun way that can spur a thought or conversation. She recently gave me a tarot card reading for fun and it sparked a really great conversation about my brother. Neither of us were thinking that the cards were literally destined to come up in a specific way, but it was a good vehicle for creating a productive conversation so why bash it?

The placebo effect is also real, and there is some evidence that just by reading and believing your horoscope you are more likely to act it out.

I'm sure everyone here does all kinds of odd behavior daily out of superstition, so I'm not sure why astrology attracts so much hate. I always suspected it has a lot to do with how women are typically much more interested in astrology. When men talk about superstitions in sports no one tries to explain away their superstitions, they get that it's just silly and fun. When astrology comes up though, it's about stupid illogical women believing nonsense. Meh.

I don't think there's anything wrong with general advice for better well being, and I agree with you about there being a placebo effect to some degree. But why does it have to be wrapped around this mumbo jumbo about celestial bodies?

How does that make it any better unless you actually believe in the possibility - however small - that it's true?