• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to it now, owner gets to fire them and keep the win. Fuck him like he didn't know.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
that's some bullshit

now they can hire a qualified manager this year. astros should not be allowed to do this. they should be forced to have some scrubby acting manager all year.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Problem too is that stripping a team of a title would no longer just be a stain on that team but on the entire league because it would be an admission that the sport was compromised. No chance a league would want to take that leap.

Lol, this is such backwards thinking. The sport doesn't look compromised when cheaters get punished harshly. It looks compromised when cheaters get away with it!

Oct 26, 2017

giphy.gif

Guess we should expect a Cora suspension with a ban incoming.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Shit might as well cheat in professional sports. Get that chip and tell everyone to fuck off as you know the punishment won't be severe. Belichick gets it.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most backward ass logic I've ever heard. They've already admitted that it was compromised or they wouldn't have fined or suspended anyone.

If they strip the title, then people will think MLB is taking the problem seriously. If they don't strip the title...THEN I'm worried about the entire sport being compromised moving forward because they obviously don't care.

Stripping the title is obviously the correct call.
I almost assure that from the league's point of view, the integrity of the sport remains intact, despite what their investigation uncovered. If they were to strip a team of a World Series title (and that whole season becomes a wash, basically) then that position becomes a lot harder to defend and no league wants to be in that position.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Deflategate was in 2015/2016 iirc. Their punishment was definitely in the 2016-2017 season and was just loss of top pick for that one season, and then a paltry $1 mil fine. It was a nothing punishment.

Ah when you typed no one cared, you meant the NFL didn't care. And Deflategate was absolutely nothing and has never been proven definitively. The science didn't even line up. As opposed to this situation, where both the Red Sox and Astros have been caught redhanded.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Wow. So you're telling me there's now an opening as Astros GM.

*furiously writes a fake resume*

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I realize they were acting on the manager or whoever's orders, but wasn't every single hitter on the team (ie: pretty much every player) complicit in this? Are there going to be asterisks across all of their stats for that year as well?

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I actually find it really impressive that a batter is able to focus on both his hearing for the trash can and the pitcher at the same time. How long is it from a sign call to a pitch if a pitcher is in the stretch vs the wind-up? Is that enough time for a batter to process the information and change their approach? Apparently it was enough time, I'm just impressed they could do all that.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Yeah this is fucked. Weak ass "punishment" that lets the players skate when they knew what they were doing, lets the owner skate, lets the championship remain, etc.

Oct 28, 2017
I almost assure that from the league's point of view, the integrity of the sport remains intact, despite what their investigation uncovered. If they were to strip a team of a World Series title (and that whole season becomes a wash, basically) then that position becomes a lot harder to defend and no league wants to be in that position.

I don't doubt that is their opinion and I'm saying that is 100% wrong. And it's pretty easy to see how it is wrong if you just think to yourself...what would make me think that they are doing their best to preserve the integrity of the sport? Stripping the title or not?

I am much less likely to watch MLB games next season if they stick to these impotent punishments with Houston and Boston when their investigation wraps up. I am much more likely if they strip some titles and instill a sense of integrity moving forward.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Thread title should be updated to they got fired. I think that changes things a bit.

But Cora should get a lifetime ban, if it's all true. My only defense of hin would be that a bunch of Astros personnel are blaming it on someone who is no longer on the astros.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Cora and the Redsox would have been really worried if the Astros 2017 championship was stripped, because their 2018 championship would have been stripped too

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they weren't cheating and it's not the same as the Astros situation.
not the same but i think injuring players on purpose is worse. you could ruin somebodies career and with how shitty the contracts are for many players they could lose a ton of money if they are cut.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much. Problem too is that stripping a team of a title would no longer just be a stain on that team but on the entire league because it would be an admission that the sport was compromised. No chance a league would want to take that leap.

Instead it will just be obviously compromised with little to no effort made to correct the problem. So compromised right up to the top of the league instead of just one organization within the league.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
There was already a season with no title winner in relatively recent memory (1994). It wasn't the end of the world then and it wouldn't be the end of the world now. They do not deserve to be rewarded for cheating. And they have been.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Deflategate was in 2015/2016 iirc. Their punishment was definitely in the 2016-2017 season and was just loss of top pick for that one season, and then a paltry $1 mil fine. It was a nothing punishment.
It was a nothing offense.

And as a Red Sox fan, the Sox better fire their GM and coach next when the MLB releases their findings about them.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Take a look at this:

Basically they're using camera feeds to read their opponent's signs and they know what pitches they're going to throw.

From Manfred's statement today regarding this exact situation:
Although the Astros' players did not attempt to hide what they were doing from Hinch or other Astros employees, they were concerned about getting caught by players from other teams. Several players told my investigators that there was a sense of "panic" in the Astros' dugout after White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar appeared to notice the trash can bangs. Before the game ended, a group of Astros players removed the monitor from the wall in the tunnel and hid it in an office. For the Postseason, a portable monitor was set up on a table to replace the monitor that had been affixed to the wall near the dugout.
How the fuck do you not punish the players?