• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They were never going to strip away a title. This is professional sports not the NCAA. This is about as hard as you can come down on a franchise

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Not even mad that they (and the Red Sox in 2018) would keep the title. Just officially enter an asterisk into the record for this.

What I'm actually most pissed about is Judge getting robbed for MVP in 2017. Given what we know now, he should have won over Altuve.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
alex cora is fucked too based on the report.
i expect him to be also suspended. and if the redsox have any backbone, they'll fire him too.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Do we still think this is a weak punishment since Lunhow and Hinch got fired by the owner? They're pretty damn harsh even if it didn't come from MLB.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's possible, that's all. I have no inside info just a feeling. If Hinch got a year for failing to notify mlb about the cheating while not participating then the guy who basically created the system and then took it with him to another team that also got caught cheating is going to be punished much more severely.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I suspect there's something in their CBA that protects the players. They've got a very strong union.
Besides, every player on the team had to know. Suspending every player would be difficult. The organization has to field a team.
So they throw a couple of management under the bus and move on. Seems like the Astros are getting away with it with only minimal damage.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Not even mad that they (and the Red Sox in 2018) would keep the title. Just officially enter an asterisk into the record for this.

What I'm actually most pissed about is Judge getting robbed for MVP in 2017. Given what we know now, he should have won over Altuve.

I think that actually plays into a lot of this. Baseball is all about stats. You need more than an asterisk next to the WS win.

You need an asterisk next to the stats of every single hitter on that team
You need an asterisk on every single award/all star nom they got
If we're going to penalize players when we consider them for the HOF for taking performance enhancing drugs to enhance their stats, then why not take that into careful consideration when you look at these guys, who basically padded their stats by cheating.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
I think it's possible, that's all. I have no inside info just a feeling. If Hinch got a year for failing to notify mlb about the cheating while not participating then the guy who basically created the system and then took it with him to another team that also got caught cheating is going to be punished much more severely.

Agreed. Might not get a lifetime ban but you can certainly make the argument he deserves just that.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that is their opinion and I'm saying that is 100% wrong. And it's pretty easy to see how it is wrong if you just think to yourself...what would make me think that they are doing their best to preserve the integrity of the sport? Stripping the title or not?

I am much less likely to watch MLB games next season if they stick to these impotent punishments with Houston and Boston when their investigation wraps up. I am much more likely if they strip some titles and instill a sense of integrity moving forward.
And I don't think you are alone in that sentiment either. The league may very well be underestimating what ramifications this scandal will have to their sport, but I am still not surprised that they didn't want to take the unprecedented step of stripping the Astros of their title.

There was already a season with no title winner in relatively recent memory (1994). It wasn't the end of the world then and it wouldn't be the end of the world now. They do not deserve to be rewarded for cheating. And they have been.
That was caused by a work stoppage in which the players went on strike and the World Series was never ever played. That is completely different than the league stripping a title from a team.

Apr 24, 2018
Man, the Astros seemed like a such a likeable team (players), too. I was happy they won the title in 2018. They seemed so happy go lucky. And then this...ugh.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Do we still think this is a weak punishment since Lunhow and Hinch got fired by the owner? They're pretty damn harsh even if it didn't come from MLB.
It remains weak as piss. These guys get a year off and they'll have jobs in the near future. In fact, since the Astros have fired them, it's even weaker on the Astros now. They can just hire permanent replacements rather than having to use interim guys.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I will not assess discipline against individual Astros players. I made the decision in September 2017 that I would hold a Club's General Manager and Field Manager accountable for misconduct of this kind, and I will not depart from that decision. Assessing discipline of players for this type of conduct is both difficult and impractical. It is difficult because virtually all of the Astros' players had some involvement or knowledge of the scheme, and I am not in a position based on the investigative record to determine with any degree of certainty every player who should be held accountable, or their relative degree of culpability. It is impractical given the large number of players involved, and the fact that many of those players now play for other Clubs

So we know they're guilty, however because I cannot determine the degree of guilt, they all get off scot free.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Stealing signs would be a huge advantage. Over an entire year, the stats would be significantly better.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
9k1bHAe.png

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It remains weak as piss. These guys get a year off and they'll have jobs in the near future. In fact, since the Astros have fired them, it's even weaker on the Astros now. They can just hire permanent replacements rather than having to use interim guys.
They have to serve their suspensions when they're hired. It could be a lifetime ban for a guy like hinch who youd use a coaching spot on.

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect there's something in their CBA that protects the players. They've got a very strong union.
Besides, every player on the team had to know. Suspending every player would be difficult. The organization has to field a team.
So they throw a couple of management under the bus and move on. Seems like the Astros are getting away with it with only minimal damage.

They can call up all their minor leaguers, don't cheat, it's not hard

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Without actually knowing anything about the MLB the sport and it's culture for some reason haBe always come off as really scummy to me, like cheating is a regular thing that's just ingrained in it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Without actually knowing anything about the MLB the sport and it's culture for some reason haBe always come off as really scummy to me, like cheating is a regular thing that's just ingrained in it.

Well, they had the betting scandals, and then the steroid era where everyone and their mother knew players were juicing and then everyone acted shocked when it was uncovered.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
How do they think they'll get away with shit like this in a sport where players come and go so freely? Did they just assume the honor system would stop a player from going to a competitor and not tell the new team what the old team is doing to gain an advantage?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
How do they think they'll get away with shit like this in a sport where players come and go so freely? Did they just assume the honor system would stop a player from going to a competitor and not tell the new team what the old team is doing to gain an advantage?

More like the shame system.

Hey new team, I know you're paying me top dollar for my great stats last year, but we were really cheating, so sorry about that!

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017

interim guys who are no where near the GM and manager that Lunhow and Hinch are.