• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
They should be forced to hire me as their manager. I don't know shit about the sport.
Hey Altuve, can you hand me that... um... whatchamacallit?
You mean the bat?
Yeah, ok yeah the bat.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
There's no way this happens. American pro sports leagues have never stripped a title, doing so is a permanent black mark in leagues that are obsessed with legacy.

So what you're saying is that no matter how blatant the cheating, I can keep my world title as long as I don't get caught until after it's awarded?

yerrr

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Even tho they didn't strip the title it's still tainted. Everyone knows they didn't win it legitimately and had to cheat their way to a Chip.

You still gotta feel bad for the Dodgers. They got fucked twice in back to back years.

Oct 27, 2017
Not in baseball it aint. Astros got away with cheating their way to a title with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Individual draft picks may not have as much value in baseball compared with other sports, but those top couple of rounds are still hugely important. The Astros did have some top picks that didn't or haven't yet panned out, but Correa, Springer and Bregman were all first round picks, with Correa and Springer being drafted in successive years. Being able to draft in these rounds can still make a big difference.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That was caused by a work stoppage in which the players went on strike and the World Series was never ever played. That is completely different than the league stripping a title from a team.
It is still a year where there was no title winner. The strike hurt baseball but they came back from it without any realistic long term damage. And any damage was not specifically because their wasn't a trophy awarded. By not stripping them of their tainted title, MLB has indicated here that they don't actually care that the Astros cheated. They just care they got caught.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
So what you're saying is that no matter how blatant the cheating, I can keep my world title as long as I don't get caught until after it's awarded?

There might be a line that would trigger a title being stripped, but sign stealing ain't it. It would have to be something like proof the Astros told hotels to poison the Nats' food before every game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So, will HoF voters hold players on the 2017 roster accountable when it comes voting time? They're always going on about the integrity of the game when it comes to Bonds, Rose and Clemens so surely this should qualify as well.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the Astros got burned, badly. Manfred isn't messing around.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Reminder that Pete Rose is banned from Baseball for the rest of his life for betting on his own goddamn team to win the series. /s

The MLB has lost all credibility with this fucking bafoonery.

Last edited:

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
OP should ask for a title update to clarify that both head coach and GM were banned for a year and were fired from the team.

edit nvm OP asked for a title update on the last page.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pete Rose apologia...

D6PfW.jpg

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the Astros got burned, badly. Manfred isn't messing around.

They have a title. Any team would trade that in a heart beat. There was really never going to be a satisfactory ending to all of this. You can't undo what as already done.

I said it in the MLB thread though but it's funny yet depressing that the Astros organization draws a harder line against baseball cheating than domestic violence and racism. Stay pathetic, Astros.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
So, will HoF voters hold players on the 2017 roster accountable when it comes voting time? They're always going on about the integrity of the game when it comes to Bonds, Rose and Clemens so surely this should qualify as well.
They probably should. Considering that it's media types who decide HOF votes, I wouldn't put it past them to add Astros to the shit list. The media love their controversy to get clicks, so using their power to shame during HOF time would be standard operating procedure for them.

Oct 27, 2017
They have a title. Any team would trade that in a heart beat. There was really never going to be a satisfactory ending to all of this. You can't undo what as already done.

I said it in the MLB thread though but it's funny yet depressing that the Astros organization draws a harder line against baseball cheating than domestic violence and racism. Stay pathetic, Astros.

I wonder if Luhnow, Hinch, and eventually, Cora, will think it was worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
Luhnow and Hinch haven't been banned for life. They'll eventually find their way back to MLB teams. If Core does get a lifetime ban, then yeah, sure he'll think it wasn't worth it.

All three still have a World Series title to show for it though.

I don't know if "eventually find their way back to MLB teams" is very reassuring to them right now. I also don't think these guys are going to be hired as quick in the same positions as a lot of you think. Particularly Hinch, whose success as a manager will forever be linked to this scandal.

Oct 28, 2017
It's so weird how sports can have people suspended for a whole year and able to return. Any other field of work would just have you fired.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually find it really impressive that a batter is able to focus on both his hearing for the trash can and the pitcher at the same time. How long is it from a sign call to a pitch if a pitcher is in the stretch vs the wind-up? Is that enough time for a batter to process the information and change their approach? Apparently it was enough time, I'm just impressed they could do all that.

It wasn't really that complicated, it was like "Trash Can Bang = Off-speed pitch. Silence = Fastball". Or something along those lines.

When you can break it down to those two types of pitches super quickly and hit like these guys do that's a huge advantage.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Luhnow and Hinch haven't been banned for life. They'll eventually find their way back to MLB teams. If Core does get a lifetime ban, then yeah, sure he'll think it wasn't worth it.

All three still have a World Series title to show for it though.

Cora did git a pay raise (presumably) and a contract extension after winning the 2018 World Series and was one of the lowest paid managers before that. I couldn't find how much they paid him for 2019 but unless they're planning to levy some huge fines on him it may have been worth it both for the ring and financially even if he gets the boot.

The other two will def be able to get jobs in baseball afterwards. Cheating or not they won a World Series.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't know if "eventually find their way back to MLB teams" is very reassuring to them right now. I also don't think these guys are going to be hired as quick in the same positions as a lot of you think. Particularly Hinch, whose success as a manager will forever be linked to this scandal.
Hinch might be some sort of analyst for a bit or something similarly behind the scenes but he'll get a job. Luhnow too. They weren't banned for life and it's a business first and foremost to the teams, so someone will hire them in the future, you can count on that.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Are there seriously murmurs of a lifetime ban for Cora? Because god damn he seems like he was the architect behind everything.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst part about all of this is that dodgers fans are going to be even more insufferable than they already are.

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, I don't know. They're not banned from the game. Guys like McGuire and ARod are poster children for PED use, and one is currently a hitting coach for a team and the other is a broadcaster for the sport. Luhnow and Hinch may not find their ways back to GM or manager positions, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they did.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
They probably should. Considering that it's media types who decide HOF votes, I wouldn't put it past them to add Astros to the shit list. The media love their controversy to get clicks, so using their power to shame during HOF time would be standard operating procedure for them.

It seems like the only fair thing to do. Everyone in that clubhouse knew what was going on and were more than happy to ride along so they could get a ring. The voters accuse Bonds and Clemens specifically of cheating the game due to performance enhancing drugs. But in the case of the Astros, they literally did cheat the game. And as it stands, Verlander would be the most notable name that such a move would affect.