• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

It's crazy how good the game still looks today. The level of craft put into the animation, the sounds, the cinematography was out of this world. Actual animes looked pathetic next to Asura's Wrath. Imagine an UE4 remaster without the texture popping and 60FPS? I would buy that on the spot.

The art, the universe and the music was so good. The game was Hindu Mythology mixed with Science Fiction, it was the perfect combo.

BCEm2R0.png

Also I don't know anyone who didn't at least tear up in this part the music plays. I was crying so hard. I can't believe I got so emotional about the story of a guy who is too angry to die and can only fix shit by punching things up.

This song also sends me in a spiral. Holy shit, everything about this game was perfect. It deserved so much more than childish sneers because "you watch it on youtube", that game made me feel more things than most games. It's more a video game than actual video game-ass video games.

This game had a better story than most games I've played, period, and it only keeps being better as you play. The finale is so satisfying too. Also why isn't he in a Capcom fighting game yet? They actually took the time to put a SF4 spoof in Asura's Wrath with a full moveset but Capcom won't ever add him anywhere?

3Z3AYG4.gif

Asura's Wrath should have had at least an anime adaptation, a manga, or anything. Can't believe it just stopped there. And the only thing we got several years later is a skin for Street Fighter V.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
Would like love a remaster of this game. However Capcom has forgotten about Asura and his Wrath

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I rented this game just to realize that the actual ending was hidden behind DLC. That was one of the biggest bullshit moves I've ever seen. However, the game is fantastic and the story was intriguing. Would love to see Capcom acknowleding that Asura's Wrath actually exists these days.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I find it weird it just got put in the closet. I think it'll resurface either via a port and some other form (manga), but yeah, gone too soon. Also yeah, the ending being DLC put me off doing anything more than a single play through of the base game!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I never quite got the game, it has cool looking fights and cutscenes but isn't the game mostly a giant QTE?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I never quite got the game, it has cool looking fights and cutscenes but isn't the game mostly a giant QTE?
Pretty much.

I recently finished off some of the DLC thanks to Xbox BC and it's a really great looking game even there in a a lower resolution. The biggest "issue" is that most of the texturess and things like normal maps are pretty low res.
Otherwise, the artstyle of all of the characters looking like they are part of a wood block print still looks very convincing.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's peak PS360 era. Press X to awesome.
How was that even remotely similar? It was an anime in game form that put the medium to good use in order to make the storytelling better.

This wasn't God of War 3. There was a point to the QTEs in terms of timing, and context that made you more invested to what's happening. It wasn't used for contextual actions to do awesome things, it was the game's way to tell its story.

The use of the gauge burst as a story device to show Asura's anger and how it fills through sequences that makes him angry was a great way to understand what kind of character he was and what he reacts too. All this stuff just works great together because, again, it was the entire game, not just setpieces to make you feel happy after hours of mediocre gameplay like other games.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadass never heard of this game up until a couple of months ago. It looks fucking sick. I'd love to give it a whirl.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I really thought we were going to at least see a PC port once Capcom started porting a number of their games from last gen. Feels like the time has passed now though.

Oct 30, 2017
How was that even remotely similar? It was an anime in game form that put the medium to good use in order to make the storytelling better.

This wasn't God of War 3. There was a point to the QTEs in terms of timing, and context that made you more invested to what's happening. It wasn't used for contextual actions to do awesome things, it was the game's way to tell its story.

The use of the gauge burst as a story device to show Asura's anger and how it fills through sequences that makes him angry was a great way to understand what kind of character he was and what he reacts too. All this stuff just works great together because, again, it was the entire game, not just setpieces to make you feel happy after hours of mediocre gameplay like other games.
Dude, it's a QTE-fest. Doesn't matter the context. There's no point in abstracting a quick time event to be anymore than it is.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I really thought we were going to at least see a PC port once Capcom started porting a number of their games from last gen. Feels like the time has passed now though.

Yeah it's funny that , especially given it was a multi platform unreal engine game, which even at the time it was released on console, was almost just a button click away from having a PC build

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Dude, it's a QTE-fest. Doesn't matter the context. There's no point in abstracting a quick time event to be anymore than it is.

This wasn't the argument of the person I quoted.

And it is absurd to pretend that all of them are created equal. Like everything in video games, what matter most is its execution. I had a better experience playing Asura's Wrath than I did playing most games of that era that you supposedly "play". QTEs have a point, a purpose, and are not used to just make things awesome. They're used as a storytelling device that enhances the narrative and the immersion of the player.

I think we have grown past the era of pretending that you can lump everything together in video games and think you made a salient point. It's not 2012 anymore.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I always thought of it as an experimental kind of thing, so I enjoyed it a lot, it also helps that I'm not part of the crowd that immediately classifies all QTEs as terrible, only those implemented terribly.

I'd love a remaster of this with upgraded textures.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Asura's Wrath and God Hand are the 2 Capcom single-player titles I still need remastered on PC.

Both are what I'd call a cult classic. If Capcom can do an Okami HD remaster, why not these 2?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This wasn't the argument of the person I quoted.

And it is absurd to pretend that all of them are created equal. Like everything in video games, what matter most is its execution. I had a better experience playing Asura's Wrath than I did playing most games of that era that you supposedly "play". QTEs have a point, a purpose, and are not used to just make things awesome. They're used as a storytelling device that enhances the narrative and the immersion of the player.

I think we have grown past the era of pretending that you can lump everything together in video games and think you made a salient point. It's not 2012 anymore.
The "QTE = Bad!" crowd is something I never got, being so reductive in this industry doesn't help creativity thrive.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Of the various multiplatform games from last gen that never made it to PC, this is probably my most wanted. Still hoping it happens eventually

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have a sequel made in-house by Capcom. Love the character design and general art style, but the game is hot garbage.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Is the state of PS3 emulation in a place now where games are mostly playable beginning to end without severe performance issues or bugs?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
If you're gonna make a QTE game, at least go all out balls-to-the-walls crazy like this.

Asura was the best Dad of War.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The "QTE = Bad!" crowd is something I never got, being so reductive in this industry doesn't help creativity thrive.
I agree. There are always good and bad ways to use QTE but it isn't by itself bad, and Asura's Wrath definitely falls on the side of great.

If you're gonna make a QTE game, at least go all out balls-to-the-walls crazy like this.

Asura was the best Dad of War.
I agree. I had to struggle a lot to prevent myself from uncontrollably sobbing during the ending. I failed.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm just glad I can play it via backwards compatibility on the Xbox one.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
The game is good, not great but definitely worth a playthrough. It's one of the rare games that does escalation right and turns it up to 11, the other ones would be Bayo 1, MGS Rising and W101.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I love Asura's Wrath, but honestly not as a video game. It's pretty bare bones during the combat segments, and everything else is just a QTE fest.

I more just thought of it as a really incredible interactive anime. It leans much more on the side of a TV show than a video game to me, it even has "commercial breaks" and episodes.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coincidentally, I just replayed the game on Xbox One and despite me buying the DLC and beating it the first time I didn't see the complete ending when I thought I did. This time I played it I finally saw the last 4 episodes for the first time for the complete experience.

Capcom should do a remaster for PC, XB1, PS4, and Switch. If not, hopefully the BC team for Xbox starts back up again and they enhance this BC title.