• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Found this as an interesting stand out in this article... Could leave major credence as to why Microsoft is so eager for the 'cross-play push' now this gen, where as Sony is reluctant. Sony allowing cross-play with the PC has a potential 137million total player pool.

""Steam rivals Sony's PlayStation Network as the world's biggest gaming service, with 67 million monthly active players versus Sony's 70 million monthly active users."

http://www.businessinsider.com/valve-owned-steam-has-stopped-accepting-bitcoin-2017-12

For comparison, the most recent report from Xbox was at 55 million:

"As part of its quarterly earnings report posted Thursday, Microsoft said Xbox Live monthly active users reached a record 55 million — up 15 percent from the same quarter last year.Jan 26, 2017"

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/xbox-live-monthly-active-user-count-reaches-record-55m-15-last-year/

*There were no reported Switch online numbers available* Paid Services start in 2018.

EDIT:
https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/23/ps...ly-active-users-ps-plus-subs-over-26-million/

It's not a new announcement from Sony. It's from May.

*This thread was created for contributor/member "Animal Liberation" as part of Adopt a User Program. If you any specific questions or comments in regards to the content of the OP, please reach out to him directly: https://www.resetera.com/members/animal-liberation-Ⓥ.11409/

Last edited:

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I know the PS4 is doing numbers but didn't expect that. I thought between XBOX Live (from 360 days) and Steam that PS4 was playing catch-up.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
In a way i'm kind of shocked steam is lower than psn due to the price barrier, but then again with a lot of more popular online games not on steam (Overwatch, Destiny 2, Battlefield etc) I guess that makes sense.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
That article seems to stem from the sales announcement, that in no way means an active user so its a bit misleading.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see Blizzards numbers. I thought a saw a figure of over 80M users between WoW, HS, OW, and HotS and this was befire Destiny was added and not including SC2.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Thought the gap would be far wider between PSN and Live

Ps4 has sold at least twice as many units as the Xb1

Unless there are still loads of 360 gamers still paying for the service?

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
That article seems to stem from the sales announcement, that in no way means an active user so its a bit misleading.
The article specifically states:

"The Steam platform, owned and operated by Valve Corporation, rivals Sony's PlayStation Network as the world's biggest gaming service, with 67 million monthly active players versus Sony's 70 million."

It's stating PSN, not PS4. so it's a safe assumption it includes, PS3/PS4/Vita/PS Now.

XBL would also include XB1/360

Last edited:

MrDbow

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

"The Steam platform, owned and operated by Valve Corporation, rivals Sony's PlayStation Network as the world's biggest gaming service, with 67 million monthly active players versus Sony's 70 million."

Yes but nothing else says where they pulled the 70 million from I am not disputing it could be true, I am just saying nothing in the article says where they got the number about Sony from.

Coloursheep

Oct 31, 2017

I thought Microsoft counted all xbox live users which includes windows store and phones? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that would help explain why the numbers are closer than you might think based on sales this gen.

Nov 6, 2017
It's also easy to get a live account when using some win 10 apps (like for example the solitaire game).

Still hard to believe. Sounds more like the writer mixed something up (70 million consoles sold = 70 million active users).

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I think that Steam numbers are before big PUBG explosion after /SeptemberOctober.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not all PSplus. I'm Sony would like to have all those people subbed. But even still. That number includes anyone using PSN. People buying games and content etc. Still huge.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many of these are from people creating new accounts since they can't change their username? ;)

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Microsoft counted all xbox live users which includes windows store and phones? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that would help explain why the numbers are closer than you might think based on sales this gen.

Correct; people who play Minecraft on win10, or bejeweled on win10 are part of the MS numbers. Somebody told me it's just people logged onto XBL on their phone or computer without ever playing any games, but the number seems far too low for that.

These are not paying subscribers: MS has not disclosed those for years now.