• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope the kids who survived are able to recover, and RIP to the ones who didn't make it.

This is terrible, terrible news.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
User Banned (3 Days): Linking to pirated content.
Damn, this is sickening... hope no one have been killed!

Speaking of mental illness in japan, the manga "Give my regards to Black Jack" showed the true horror and cruelty of mental illness in japan...

the manga got so much success that it triggered reforms for different health sectors... Sadly mental illness is still regarded as shameful and rare are the one talking about it!

I really recommend reading it, it's unnerving... if you only want the part on mental illness, it's from volume 9 :

Mod edit: Pirated material removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I think mental illness is really pushed aside in Japan. Living in Tokyo I see a handful of clearly mentally ill people every week. I saw a man on the train literally rocking back and forth and shredding up paper while constantly switching seats the other afternoon, people just ignore it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think mental illness is really pushed aside in Japan. Living in Tokyo I see a handful of clearly mentally ill people every week. I saw a man on the train literally rocking back and forth and shredding up paper while constantly switching seats the other afternoon, people just ignore it.
What should the general public do, tackle citizens arrest him and deliver him to an institution? If someone was shredding paper up and switching seats on a train in the US what would people do

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it confirmed he had mental illness? I checked the BBC article and didn't see anything. I worry that if every horrific crime is explained as the criminal having mental illness then it will actually create a stigma around mental health.

I've seen things before where Trump's behaviour was dismissed as mental illness on this very forum and I've seen school shootings blamed on mental illness also. In fact here is a report "Political leaders often imply that gun violence is a mental health problem. But the research shows the reality is more nuanced." and "The Political Strategy Behind the GOP's Post-Shooting 'Mental Health' Playbook"

I think about aids, when there was a stigma and people were always scared around people with aids. If we keep talking about these incidents being the result of mental illness then I wonder if the same stigma will be created. Will we one day have to educate people that a medical illness does not automatically mean your life is in danger?

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
If someone was shredding paper up and switching seats on a train in the US what would people do

Exactly. The United States has a horrendous track record when it comes to mental health. Try walking down any street on any downtown area in the US or take public transport and it won't take long for you to see the damage Reagan did by revoking the Mental Health Systems Act. And guess what? Those people get ignored by the general US masses too.
It's so bad in LA I was advised by locals not to walk anywhere. Somewhat unthinkable in any other major metropolitan city in the world (including Japan). Much like homelessness (which is related), instead of addressing the issue it is ignored.

SushiMassage

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
I live in Japan and heard that he mainly aimed for the kids faces, head and neck. Horrible.

And yes concerning the discussion in the thread, you often see very "unstable people" in Japan. You who live here know what I mean. Saw a normal looking salary man in the train the other day, he started screaming suddenly and banged his head against the train window.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely horrible news. RIP to the victims and hope for a fast recovery for the injured.

On the topic of the mentally ill in Japan....

I live in a small Japanese city of only 50,000 people that surely no one has ever heard of and I still get accosted by mentally unwell people frequently. It's usually harmless and they just want to talk, but sometimes they want to yell and follow you around. My hometown in the US isn't San Fran or NYC, but it still has more than a million people and I never encountered similar situations there. Granted, back home you just drive everywhere and can more easily avoid everyone..

I think this is what it comes down to. Higher population density is the big factor here, along with the prevalence of public transit.
Even if you live in the Japanese countryside, you are still going to be in close proximity to plenty of people.
Definitely not the same as the U.S. countryside, say rural Kentucky, where your nearest neighbor can be a 10 min. drive away.
Even small countryside towns in Japan are more densely populated than some suburbs in the U.S.

And yeah, I also don't understand the stigma about it being hard to get mental health help inside Japan.
At the very least there is no shortage of metal health clinics.
They seem to be basically everywhere in my experience. Not as prevalent as dentists or hair stylists, but not too far behind!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

The Kawasaki Fire Department earlier reported that 16 elementary school students and three adults were injured.

Several residents in the area said they were shocked that such an attack could take place in what is usually a quiet town. Kosuzu Sunayama, 26, who lives near to where the stabbings took place, said she could hear the screams from her home.

"It's not the kind of place to have such a incident. Its not the kind of place to have such a horrible news," Sunayama said. "My heart is aching."

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Wish the Bastard survived to face the parents of that kid he killed...and the family of the other two adults.

I don't get it....he stabbed himself in the shoulder before being arrested...but died at the Hospital later? Did he know what he was doing? Is there a vital spot on the shoulder that can kill you?

Oct 25, 2017
Wish the Bastard survived to face the parents of that kid he killed...and the family of the other two adults.

I don't get it....he stabbed himself in the shoulder before being arrested...but died at the Hospital later? Did he know what he was doing? Is there a vital spot on the shoulder that can kill you?

That testimony was later modified to neck.

The suspected attacker also died from a "self-inflicted wound," Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported. Police officers previously told NHK that the man, believed to be in his 40s or 50s, had stabbed himself in the neck.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Heard reports of a little girl passed away due to this horrible incident. Hope everyone else injured recovers fully.

Terrible news, can't imagine being a parent in the middle of all this.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So apparently he targeted a group of school girls in that BBC article. I wonder if this was motivated by an inability to form a deep connection with others. I remember an incident a few years ago where a man stabbed an idol because she rejected him, I also remember the guy who went on a stabbing spree in Akihabara also complained about being single.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
It's been a terrible few weeks in terms of needless child deaths in Japan. In addition to this attack, there have been multiple news stories recently of cars plowing into children walking to and from school. Neither of those were intentional, but rather due to stupidity and shitty driving, which is another problem here in Japan, along with a huge number of old people refusing to give up their licenses despite clearly being dangerous behind the wheel. It just seems like story after story of young lives being cut short, and it's heartbreaking. I've been making sure to hug my son extra tight in the meantime.

I know today's tragedy isn't necessarily indicative of a trend, and I still feel like Japan is a very safe place in general. But with the ageing population and number of dangerous drivers on the rise, I do question the rationality of letting your kids walk to school unattended, as is the tradition. Anyways, I'm just rambling at this point.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
15?
Why weren't there any adults tackling the madman?

Where were the adults?
The thing about rushing a man with a knife is that you'll probably get stabbed before he actually goes down. Most people aren't willing to go in first because of that. Case in point they did rush him and did get stabbed

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's horrible. How a person can kill children like that. I can't even imagine what the parents are thinking right now. I only want strenght to those people because it must be horrible.

Have you seen their work life balance? There is none. Any other country would have gone nuts.

But. It's a culture of honor system. This is why these things are still rare in Japan.

Korea and China are very similar so it's not a thing of any other country.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
The attack took place near a park in the city of Kawasaki, about 13 miles (21 kilometers) from Tokyo, authorities said. The children were waiting for the bus to the nearby Caritas Elementary School, according to the school's director Tetsuro Saito.
Kawasaki Police said a total of 19 people were injured, including the two victims who died. Police have named the girl who was killed as Hanako Kuribayashi. Her age was previously given as 12 by a spokesperson at Nippon Medical School Musashi Kosugi Hospital.
The adult male victim, 39-year-old Satoshi Oyama, was a father of a 1st grade student at Caritas Elementary School and a government employee. It is not clear if Oyama's child was hurt in the incident.
All 17 children who were stabbed were girls, most of whom were lower elementary students, according to Saito.
"Innocent students who are raised with love by their parents (have fallen) victim to the pathetic incident. I'm suffering from an unfocused anger and from (the) deepest regret," Saito said.
Rest in Peace for both the deceased victims.
The school director's comment pretty much aligned perfectly with how I feel. I just hope this incident doesn't leave too many scars for the rest of the girls.

Dammit.... Just imagine if you were a parent with a daughter just starting elementary school reading this news ugh.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

I'm glad that the SOB got what he deserved. Fuck him.

I only feel bad for his victims & their families. Their lives will never be the same again, knowing that they won't ever be able to see their children smile, to watch them grow up & graduate, get married & have kids of their own, etc.

It's terrible.