• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
MOSCOW (AP) — LGBT activists said Monday that at least two people have died and about 40 people have been detained in what has been described as a new crackdown on gay people in the Russian republic of Chechnya.

The new allegations come after reports in 2017 of more than 100 gay men arrested and subjected to torture, and some of them killed, in the predominantly Muslim region. Chechen authorities denied those accusations, and federal authorities conducted a probe that found nothing to support the reports.

Alvi Karimov, spokesman for Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov, told the Interfax news agency on Monday that the reports are "complete lies and don't have an ounce of truth in them." Karimov insisted that no one has been detained in Chechnya on suspicion of being gay.

The Russian LGBT Network, which has been monitoring the situation in Chechnya and helping victims, said in a statement Monday that about 40 men and women have been detained on suspicion of being gay since December and that at least two of them have died of torture in detention. The detainees are believed to be kept at the same facility that was named in the 2017 reports.

The crackdown was first reported on Friday but the activists didn't release full details at the time.

"Widespread detentions, torture and killings of gay people have resumed in Chechnya," Igor Kochetkov, program director at the Russian LGBT Network said. "Persecution of men and women suspected of being gay never stopped. It's only that its scale has been changing."

Kochetkov said the new wave of persecution started at the end of the year when Chechen authorities detained the administrator of a social media group popular with LGBT people in the North Caucasus. Kochetkov said the mass detentions began after the authorities got hold of contacts on his phone.

Russian authorities have strenuously denied that killings and torture took place in the predominantly Muslim region where homosexuality is taboo, even after one man came forward to talk about the time he spent in detention in Chechnya.

Maxim Lapunov said he was detained by unidentified people on a street in the Chechen capital, Grozny, in 2017 and kept in custody for two weeks, where he was repeatedly beaten. He was let go after he signed a statement acknowledging he was gay and was told he would be killed if he talked about his time in detention.

Lapunov, who is not an ethnic Chechen and is from Siberia, was the first to file a complaint with Russian authorities over the wave of arrests of gay people.

The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe last month called on Russia to investigate the reports, and Lapunov's case specifically.

Gay Purge? Are these people in government fucking insane? How is this not an international human rights crime/violation?

https://www.apnews.com/63a15d4aa08247c5b9115f7b5db91eb2

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
The situation in Chechnya has been awful for LGBT for a good while. These news don't surprise me :(.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
This has been going on for a long time.

This country was rolled over by the Russians, while the US was busy in another war. Everybody turned a blind eye. Puppet Kadirov is a crazy guy with all the power he wants.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you're so surprised, this isn't the even first time this has happened or been reported on in western media. Chechnya and its government are horrifically homophobic.

I think part of the problem is, that unfortunately a lot of this get surpressed, too. Also, that this is happening so openly, likely means Putin's government approves in some way, shape, or fashion.

This is straight up evil.

Oct 28, 2017
Ramsan Kadirov is a maniac and Russia lets him do what he wants because they don't want another full on war in Chechnya, so he's useful as a puppet. Awful situation

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I feel really bad that things like this are still happening around the world in this day and age.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Dreadful. Has been going on for years though. Kadyrov's Chechnya does whatever it wants -- honor killings, child marriage, forced marriage, torture, corruption, nepotism, forced incarceration, and so forth. Even Putin won't touch that powder leg.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Putin and his puppets are no strangers to barbarism.

How the hell is Chechnya not under UN/Western sanctions already over this shit?

The UN/west doesn't give a shit about human rights. They're certainly not going to do anything about this when they ignored outright genocide of hundreds of thousands in Myanmar and China.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is insane (as it was last year). It's also, probably, not the only country that is doing this. Didn't Iran's president state that there are "no gay people in Iran" or something like that. Like, yeah, I wonder why.

I'm from Latin America, and a gay man myself, and it's scary how some countries are shifting towards that direction (though, probably, more covertly than actually killing and torturing LGBT people). I may be absolutely wrong, but, doesn't Brazil have a history of police shooting on trans people? And with Bolsonario, things aren't gonna get any better, since its government is all about challenging and destroying their so-called 'gender ideology' (ideología de género).

Last edited:
OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is insane (as it was last year). It's also, probably, not the only country that is doing this. Didn't Iran's president state that there are "no gay people in Iran" or something like that. Like, yeah, I wonder why.

I'm from Latin America, and a gay man myself, and it's scary how some countries are shifting towards that direction (though, probably, more covertly and actually killing and torturing LGBT people). I may be absolutely wrong, but, doesn't Brazil have a history of police shooting on trans people? And with Bolsonario, things aren't gonna get any better, since its government is all about challenging and destroying their so-called 'gender ideology' (ideología de género).

If Trump gets to pick another Supreme Court Judge during his tenure, the US situation for a lot of LGBT folks is gonna get very scary, IMO. Not like the scale of what is occuring now in Chechnya(torture, killings, etc), but more on a restrictive civil rights and freedoms level.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm from Latin America, and a gay man myself, and it's scary how some countries are shifting towards that direction (though, probably, more covertly than actually killing and torturing LGBT people). I may be absolutely wrong, but, doesn't Brazil have a history of police shooting on trans people? And with Bolsonario, things aren't gonna get any better, since its government is all about challenging and destroying their so-called 'gender ideology' (ideología de género).

The former Iranian president said that gay people in Iran were different from those in the US. That said, same sex relationships are still illegal (although not punished by death in the last decade+ and underground gay bars are an open secret).

(As an aside, the government has approved of and even covered the cost of sex reassignment surgery in Iran for decades, making Iran #2 after Thailand worldwide in number of sex-change operations. And of course, things were very different before the 1979 revolution.)

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Sick beyond words. It's just crazy to think so-called civilized countries can be aware of this and not intervene.

If you systematically brutalize people, fuck your borders and your state authority. There need to be humanitarian exceptions.

And you people thought we don't deserve extinction
Umm, why not just the sadistic assholes? In what world does it make sense to learn about one group abusing another and then say "They should both die! And you too! And me too!"

Lazy, low quality thinking. An offense to all good people.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love sci-fi stuff, because it talks about a time where we've hit a point of intelligence to move beyond (literal) earthly problems and shoot for the stars.....

....shit like this just sets us back and makes us stone-age animals that can't get over tiny insignificant details like who we choose to love.
This is gross, depressing, regressive, and frankly a waste of time against the myriad of other problems Russia (and the world) really ought to face instead.

I hope some LGBT folk can stay hidden and/or get the fuck outta there.