• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Three women and six children died in an attack on an extended Mormon family as they traveled in Mexico Monday, Mexican officials say. The group includes U.S. citizens; authorities say they may have been ambushed by gang members.
The victims are part of the LeBaron family, which has lived in Mexico for decades since splitting off from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints over its move away from polygamy.
"Local reports say the family may have been mistakenly attacked by rival cartels fighting for territory," NPR's Carrie Kahn reports.

Details have been slow to emerge about the attack, which took place Monday as the group drove in a small convoy of vehicles between the states of Chihuahua and Sonora. Video from the scene shows at least one vehicle was burned and had sustained what look to be multiple bullet holes.
In addition to the nine dead, six children were injured and one minor was unharmed — and another minor is believed to be missing, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador and Security Minister Alfonso Durazo said at a news conference Tuesday morning.

In response to the attack, President Trump said, "A wonderful family and friends from Utah got caught between two vicious drug cartels, who were shooting at each other, with the result being many great American people killed, including young children, and some missing."
Trump offered to aid Mexico if it needs help "cleaning out" the attackers, whom he dubbed "monsters."
" This is the time for Mexico, with the help of the United States, to wage WAR on the drug cartels and wipe them off the face of the earth. We merely await a call from your great new president!" Trump said via Twitter.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy. My roommate in college was Mormon and took time off of school to do his mission in Mexico. Terrible luck for that family and I can't imagine how those kids are dealing with the whole thing.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing a vice documentary on these Mormons the LeBaron and Romney family living in colonies amongst the Cartel.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
it wouldnt be hard to mistake the lebaron family as a rival gang, they practically were one

they hired people to kill other mormon polygamous families and even started killing their own followers

of course children, or anyone really, shouldnt be kidnapped and murdered, but i dont think this is the first time that's happened for them either

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Ohhh they're FLDS people. That explains why the news here in Utah keeps calling them citizens instead of Latter-day Saints/Mormons.

That's absolutely tragic though. Especially the poor kids. They got their lives taken away when they were still young. And the women who lost them as well. I can't even imagine how the one survivor feels right now.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
This one attack that I don't understand. Mistaken identity? Very tragic either way.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
It really feels like the cartels are getting more brazen since the new federal government took over. The new National Guard was supposed to prevent shit like this, but they always seem to be absent or overwhelmed, or too busy harassing migrants I guess. I'm baffled that the Security Minister wasn't forced to resign after the disaster in Culiacan recently, he's utterly worthless. But it looks like business as usual, politicians continue having each other's backs while the rest of us have to live in fear. Really feel bad for those kids, the ones who are still missing must be going through some shit.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
So I used to date someone part of the LeBaron family and visited Chihuahua a few times with him. This isn't the first time their family has been targeted. Members of their family have been kidnapped before and they're never found alive. Constant shootings and even hangings. It's a long standing feud. A lot of members of the LeBaron family (and the Ray's) have fled to Utah due to this violence.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ive heard about the mormon enclave in mexico. They are armed to the teeth and frequently face off against local gangs from what I remember.

Pretty sure Mitt Romney is related to it in some way.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Apparently Donald Trump just sent out a message to the president of Mexico that if he wants help from the US to eliminate the cartels just ask and he will deploy the US military.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
So I used to date someone part of the LeBaron family and visited Chihuahua a few times with him. This isn't the first time their family has been targeted. Members of their family have been kidnapped before and they're never found alive. Constant shootings and even hangings. It's a long standing feud. A lot of members of the LeBaron family (and the Ray's) have fled to Utah due to this violence.
So maybe not mistaken identity then?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I read an article on Yahoo this morning that suggested the cartel(s) suspected the family was actively monitoring their movements. Either for the law or their own purposes is anyone's guess. Most of the pieces I've read leave out (or don't know) that this is a long running feud.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Of course when white people get shot, US is gonna act.

Sucks for the victims families though

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it wouldnt be hard to mistake the lebaron family as a rival gang, they practically were one

they hired people to kill other mormon polygamous families and even started killing their own followers

of course children, or anyone really, shouldnt be kidnapped and murdered, but i dont think this is the first time that's happened for them either
😲

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a good or bad idea?
I'm going to say bad considering how many of these problems are as bad as they are due to our military adventures south of the border, economic policies, and Reagan trying to use the "war on drugs" to distract from Iran-Contra.

Even going in with the purist of intentions, it would be bad to just focus on a military solution. And under Trump, it'll be a lot of death with little oversight, figuring out how to profit from the conflict, blaming Mexico for any failures, and a likely swift abandonment or betrayal of some sort.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
What a horrible thing.

it is true that the LeBaron's and other Mormon enclaves in Mexico have been facing off against the cartels for years now, and the Mormons haven't exactly been passive victims.That Vice documentary covers the subject well enough, but it's still no justification for killing children and innocent women. Or even if they're aren't innocent, this shit is tragic.

The current government needs to accept that they have to quickly come up with a measure to stop violence while the new National Guard is up and running. So far, the public has mostly seen them block migrant caravans and run away from the cartels.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
My god...I can't even imagine how terrifying that had to have been. Absolutely heartbreaking. They need to find the sick fucks who did this. How do you shoot and burn kids alive over a drug war?! It's fucking insane.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
My god...I can't even imagine how terrifying that had to have been. Absolutely heartbreaking. They need to find the sick fucks who did this. How do you shoot and burn kids alive over a drug war?! It's fucking insane.

the execution squads these cartels employ are essentially brought up and trained from the time they are children to be completely soulless.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico is a war zone all over the place. Want to help Mecixo?

Stop arming them.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
These kids don't deserve any of this. But a lot of coverage I've seen of this somehow ignores who the LeBarons are and why they might get caught up in this sort of thing. They're an extremist sect of polygamists who are responsible for murders themselves.

the execution squads these cartels employ are essentially brought up and trained from the time they are children to be completely soulless.

The guys doing a lot of this killing are led by School of the Americas grads who ran death squads in Latin America for decades before all of this. Their souls are utterly non-existent and they specialize in cultivating the same mindset.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would think Mexico as a whole had bigger issues than we do.

Mexico's issues with the cartels are directly related to its proximity to the US though- Americans fund the cartels by buying illegal drugs and the American government keeps the black market going by prohibiting marijuana, cocaine, etc.

As awful as this particular story is, is it any better/worse than the fairly regular mass shootings carried out by White supremacists that this president has no interest in doing anything about?

Mexico's murder rate is drastically worse than the US'. 29 murders per 100k population vs 5.3 for the US.

Last edited:

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As awful as this particular story is, is it any better/worse than the fairly regular mass shootings carried out by White supremacists that this president has no interest in doing anything about?

All of the (fairly regular) mass shootings I can think of had someone held accountable at least (either dead or captured and in jail). I doubt anyone is ever "brought to justice" for stuff like this over there.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Not a day goes by where clown trump doesn't humble himself, even in the face of horrific tragedies. You have to be heartless to Innocent kill women and children then torch the car.