• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
about.att.com

How AT&T Customers Can Get the iPhone 12 for $0

Here's how to get the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro with AT&T pre-orders starting October 16.
DcU4ZIb.jpg

Here's the press release.

The promotions announced Tuesday coincide with Apple's introduction of its first 5G iPhone. Customers can begin placing orders online starting Friday, according to the companies. They'll have to sign up for unlimited plans and trade in qualifying phones.

The 5G iPhone is Apple's biggest product introduction of the year, and the first major redesign of the popular handset since 2017. The wireless industry has been awaiting this event for more than a year, and as the giveaways suggest, each carrier is eager to use the moment to win or at least solidify its customer base.

The offers are a gamble that if the mobile-service providers cover the cost of the phones over a two-year-plus payment schedule, subscribers will be inclined to sign on for higher-priced unlimited plans.
www.bloomberg.com

Free Apple 5G iPhones Are Offered by Carriers to Lure Upgraders

Apple Inc.’s iPhone 12 5G, the most anticipated phone in years, will be given away for free by AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc., showing the carriers are gearing up to fight hard for new subscribers during a potentially huge upgrade cycle.

"To get the deal, new and existing customers will need to buy the device on an AT&T 30-month installment plan, subscribe to a recent AT&T Unlimited plan and trade in an iPhone 8 or later (or any device that AT&T values at $95 or more) in "working condition."

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
"Unlimited" plans where they throttle the hell out you after you hit the data cap.

Not only that, but on two of three Unlimitd plans, they throttle all streaming video to 540p. Only if you pay for the most expensive Unlimited plan do you get "upgraded" to 720p streaming video.

Verizon does the same thing. They tell us how great and revolutionary 5G will be, yet they impose data caps and throttle all streaming video to 720p/540p. It's laughable.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The article is wrong. The trade in offer works with Pro, Max, and mini as well.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when ATT started kicking people off their old, good, unlimited plans. Pass.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have att t. I deeply regret it. It's not even a real 5g service.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I have att t. I deeply regret it. It's not even a real 5g service.

Yeah I was about to say, the funny thing is I'm trying to switch to Verizon cause AT&T kinda sucks. I've been with them for 15 years and they've gotten progressively worse. My mom (who's on our plan) has to run across the street in order to make a phone call.

I'm hoping Verizon has a deal on iPhone 12s for those who transfer. If they do, I'm jumping on it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I travel (or at least did) across 48 states for work - from the busiest cities in the country to the most podunk nowhere towns, and for the last decade AT&T has always treated me really well.

surprised at all the hate.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if being on their FirstNet service counts? I'd love to jump on this.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well, they do have real 5G

But they also lied and pretended they had 5G before they actually did and called it 5Ge or something
My 5g with them has a slower connection speed than my 4g with Sprint. I wonder if there's a way I can get them to look into what's going on with my phone. When I called customer service it was a complete waste of time and they claimed everything was working fine.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Does anyone have a link detailing out this deal? I'm a current ATT subscriber with a high level unlimited plan and an iPhone X. Can I upgrade?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
This reeks of desperation. AT&T is getting murdered by Verizon and its MVNOs and T-Mobile has gotten massive after the Sprint merger. As an AT&T customer I can tell you that signal is a far cry from what it used to be.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Does anyone have a link detailing out this deal? I'm a current ATT subscriber with a high level unlimited plan and an iPhone X. Can I upgrade?
I'd like to know this too. I got an SE 2 months ago just due to size, and here's the mini that is better in every way AND smaller.

But I'm worried I might accidentally fuck up my plan...

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to know this too. I got an SE 2 months ago just due to size, and here's the mini that is better in every way AND smaller.

I checked the ATT App. I currently have an 11 Pro with an unlimited plan and it looks like I can upgrade for free. This upgrade includes the 12 Pro and (possibly) the 12 Pro Max. You may need to check your available offers to see the notice. Currently you can only sign up to be notified when the deal is live.

The only thing I am unclear on is if you were paying off your phone would you need to pay the remainder. I would assume so, but it's not clear.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017

about.att.com

How AT&T Customers Can Get the iPhone 12 for $0

Here's how to get the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro with AT&T pre-orders starting October 16.
DcU4ZIb.jpg

Here's the press release.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I bought my x outright when it first released. I currently have the unlimited plan with free HBO max. I may do this, but I need to see what the 12s are all about. I didn't see the event yesterday.

My service is fine and I travel a ton for work when there is no pandemic

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I bought my x outright when it first released. I currently have the unlimited plan with free HBO max. I may do this, but I need to see what the 12s are all about. I didn't see the event yesterday.

My service is fine and I travel a ton for work when there is no pandemic

Same boat. I'm really confused by the trade in press release. I don't feel like I get clarity on how exactly this works.

LostInTarget

Feb 14, 2019
I have T-Mobile and the service is terrible where I'm at. (Big suburb near Chicago). This offer might make me switch to AT&T, I'm going Friday to see what I can get for a cracked XS as a trade-in.

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
I'm assuming you have to pay the left over amount of the phone after 30 months? After the trade in is applied?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Ah, the earlier documentation seemed to indicate that you could apply with 6s and up, but if it's less than an 8 you only get 400.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Here I am still using that ancient $30/mo T-Mobile pre-paid plan. Unlimited data, but it throttles after 5GB, which is plenty for my needs. and no plans on changing it. Course if these companies keep offering free phones with trade in I might have to think about it... not AT&T though.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
This reeks of desperation. AT&T is getting murdered by Verizon and its MVNOs and T-Mobile has gotten massive after the Sprint merger. As an AT&T customer I can tell you that signal is a far cry from what it used to be.

They have fake 5G because they don't have mid-band spectrum like T-mobile and are now desperate to sell off as much as possible and lower their debt to be able to purchase mid-band when the auction happens in December. AT&T have fucked everything up so much it's sad.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I remember when ATT started kicking people off their old, good, unlimited plans. Pass.
I actually still had my unlimited plan from ~12 years ago or so until about 6 weeks ago. The price had gone up so much over time though since you had to buy minutes and texts separately that I finally gave in and switched to this plan. It's saving me about $20 a month and comes with HBO Max so it was too good to pass up.

Since I never leave home any more, I'd used under 1 gig a month for the last 6 months... lol. This plan doesn't throttle you until you use 100 gigs though and I'd never used more than something like 15-16 in a month before so it should be fine.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
My 5g with them has a slower connection speed than my 4g with Sprint. I wonder if there's a way I can get them to look into what's going on with my phone. When I called customer service it was a complete waste of time and they claimed everything was working fine.
Sprint also had some absurdly fast triband 4G that I got 100+ Mbps on in the burbs of a flyover city while in a moving car years ago

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I tried doing a similar upgrade to the Note 20 and they made it such a painful process and kept cancelling my orders (because my 865 credit score was too low???) that I just said fuck it and switched to T-Mobile instead. Horrible company.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if it's case by car I have unlimited on att and have never been trouthled. I used 80gigs last month had speeds never dropped

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mildly tempted by this, as I'm still on the AT&T Unlmited plan that gave you WatchTV and HBO, hence HBO Max. Remember WatchTV?

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I hate how there is no good cell carrier. Att is the worst; coverage issues and throttling, T-Mobile has the worst coverage ever, esspecially in Dallas. And Verizon has the best coverage but throttles and limits video and has horrible billing practices

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I got so many questions. I'm already on unlimited, and I'd be trading in a 11 pro max towards a 12 pro max. Can I use the credit and pay it off early so I'm not stuck with it for 30 months?

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got so many questions. I'm already on unlimited, and I'd be trading in a 11 pro max towards a 12 pro max. Can I use the credit and pay it off early so I'm not stuck with it for 30 months?
If it's like other phone offers, I'm pretty sure the credit will be applied monthly specifically so you're locked into the service for however long they specify.

Anyway, telecom companies are such a joke in the US. They really need reform. I'm currently on a pre-paid phone service that uses Sprint towers. I'm not sure how the T-Mobile acquisition affected them. It's $55 unlimited for 3 people. The signal isn't great at times, the speeds can choke randomly, and the customer service is non-existent (seriously, you message them the problem, they ask you for your account information before they can help, then proceed to tell you they can't help). But when it works, it works. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

A few months ago I tried doing one of these deals for iPhone 11 with T-Mobile. I brought my phone in-store, spoke with the rep, and he started my account. But then he dropped a bombshell that I was getting like $40 for my iPhoen 7 trade-in. I tried to insist that the deal said if I traded in an iPhone 7, the iPhone 11 would free over a certain number of months. I didn't want to seem like an annoying customer so I politely just declined and left the store. A month later I received a bill from T-Mobile. He apparently never closed the account and I'm paying for a T-Mobile phone number I don't even have. I even got mail from a debt collector on their behalf. After hours on the phone and time to drive to their damn stores, I finally got the issue resolved for the most part. I still get a bill from them every now and then for $2.50 though, and I have no idea why. But yeah, I'm veering off topic now. I just wanted to air my grievances and why I hesitate to go with any major phone company now.

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I'm considering this. I've been an AT&T person going a long way back. Hell, I think I was on Suncom, then Cingular, then AT&T. Just stayed with the company I had during each of those buyouts. Anyway, I'm still on some kind of Unlimited plan that was grandfathered in MANY years ago. Was worth it for a while there but now I don't think it benefits me. So I may drop it and go with one of these more modern unlimited plans and get a 12 Pro out of it as well.

Besides the usual "it's AT&T" and what not....what's the catch on this?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I know that I am in the ATT boat for the long haul, I just hate being tied in. You just never know. I like to own my phone and have it unlocked. It looks like it is just credit towards your bill for 30 months.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Still tempted by this. The plan I'm on has been with AT&T for 25 years at this point - parents got their first cell phones on it when it was whatever it was before Cingluar and we've just all stayed on it through adulthood because of discounts they get through work. So I don't think I'll be switching service anytime. Comes out to be $60/mo for me and my wife for unlimited everything (not including device payments).

But I hate the idea of committing to 30 months like that. It is a really good deal considering you're likely outpacing the value you'd get for selling some of the phones eligible for trade in.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I've been on Cricket for a long time, but I get terrible service at home, and there is probably about 6 miles cut into 3 pieces that are completely dead on my 30 mile work commute. really annoying. Not sure what to go to, definitely not ATT as that's cricket's backbone.

Anyone know if I were to just buy a prepaid sim for verizon/tmobile and stick it in a phone, it'd be the same as their full network? I'd be willing to pay to try the services and I have extra phones.