• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
So for various reasons, I'll be replacing my existing Xbox One with either an S or an X. However, I'm not sure which makes more sense at this point in the gen. (I already have a gaming PC, a Switch, and a PS4 Pro.)

At this point in the gen, it seems a little silly to pick up either in my opinion, but I need it as a way to play PUBG with some cross country friends, and I'd like to justify the investment as much as I can. (I have Live and Game pass as well.)

So which makes more sense? Things to consider:

-I have a 4k TV (I game mainly on my PC because I like the ability to play in 4k, Xbox titles included).
-I'm currently pretty disappointed in the offerings for Game pass on PC (Though I mainly use if for Xbox exclusives anyway).
-I don't have any issues plugging my PC into my TV for playing on the couch.
-The difference in price between the S and the X ($250) is a pretty significant jump in my eyes.

So should I spend the extra money and get the "best" MS has to offer? Would it be worth it? Or should I hang on to the extra money and get the bare minimum to play PUBG? Thanks for the advice!

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I would want to make the best use of my TV and get the X to enjoy Red Dead 2

Also when next gen rolls around, the X will probably get you more money for turn in at a GameStop type place.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
At this point it makes most sense to wait for the next XBOX. MS has made it pretty clear that they want to hit 2020 and they will keep their BC plans. So you will probably get a XB1X for free with your XB2 purchase.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If money isn't a big deal, X easily. If you just want to ride it out until next gen and sample some games, probably the S if you don't want to spend much. However if you're use to nice looking games on your 4K TV and are susceptible to noticing lower frame rates and image quality, yeah, the X would be better, for PUBG though, it's not a smooth game on either console.

OP
OP
LavaBadger

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

Also when next gen rolls around, the X will probably get you more money for turn in at a GameStop type place.

Red Dead 2 is definitely a potential driver for me getting an X.

The trade in value is definitely a consideration too. The only thing is, will it net me that much more such that it makes sense to spend the extra $250 now? That's I'm less sure about. Even now, at somewhere like Gamestop it's $100 vs $210 (Not that huge of a difference, though obviously you'd be looking for a trade in deal at that point).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You already the original right, what do you think of that on your TV?

You have a Pro for RDR2 anyway, I doubt there will be a huge gap.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you are that worried spending an extra 250 bucks get the S. I think it's worth the extra money and you'll never second guess once you turn it on.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my OG XB1 to my brother because I plan on getting the X even if I don't have a 4K TV. The upgrades and enhancements of the games are enough for me to push me over and get it.

Macs

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, you already have a Switch, a Pc and a pro, getting an X would be a waste of money.

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
I actually checked out the X today on a 4ktv at the Microsoft store and it looked damn good, but it was a 4ktv and I have a 1080p tv, so I'm just going to get an S. Even still, in my opinion, the resolution jump doesn't look as good as 720p to 1080p. I can't wait to play Forza Horizon 3 and then 4 and whatever else is on gamepass. $200 plus a $20 target giftcard with purchase.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
The X is a clear upgrade over the S, if you have the money just get that.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'd probably go for an S. The trade-in value argument doesn't really work for me - once next gen's out, I have to imagine the X's trade-in price'll drop like a stone - so I think you'd end up losing significantly more money overall on the X.

Like, honestly, if I were in your position - already have a good PC, plus PS4 Pro, but need an Xbox exclusively for multiplayer purposes on one game - I'd probably just get a second-hand model for as cheap as possible. Keep in mind that, while Red Dead will likely look a bit better on the X versus the Pro, you will be missing out on exclusive content and so on, so whichever console you buy it on, you're making some sort of compromise.

If you buy an X, I think you'll regret it once next-gen's out. I know I would.

OP
OP
LavaBadger

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
An X. I have both and you can clearly tell the difference. It's worth the price.

As someone who has been gaming in 4k for the last year or so, I've no doubt I'd notice the difference. I guess my main question is whether it still makes sense to spend the extra money if I already have a gaming PC when as far as I can see Red Dead 2 multiplayer games are the only ones I won't be able to play on PC.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna add to all the X suggestions here.

I don't think that the S should even be in the conversation unless you absolutely can't afford the X(in which case I'd even suggest just waiting and saving up for an X).

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This late in the generation I'd say it depends entirely on when you intend to jump into NEXT gen. If you don't intend to jump.in straight away. Buy an X. The additional costs will be spread across more years and you get better specs.

But if you intend to jump into next gen immediately, that could be here within a couple years so spending loads now on a console you won't touch again seems a little pointless.

Saying that though. You have a gaming PC...so why even buy an Xbox? There's nothing on the system you won't already be able to play.

OP
OP
LavaBadger

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
This late in the generation I'd say it depends entirely on when you intend to jump into NEXT gen. If you don't intend to jump.in straight away. Buy an X. The additional costs will be spread across more years and you get better specs.

But if you intend to jump into next gen immediately, that could be here within a couple years so spending loads now on a console you won't touch again seems a little pointless.

Saying that though. You have a gaming PC...so why even buy an Xbox? There's nothing on the system you won't already be able to play.

To your last question, it's in the OP. Need it to play PUBG with friends.

I probably will jump in right away to the next gen, but with who? I don't know. All depends on what the pitches look like next gen. If it's not MS, I think you make a good argument. But maybe that would make me less likely then to jump in with them. It's an interesting thought (Assuming cross gen games up front of course).

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Even though the X is is dearer you could maybe get a fair bit of the difference back with the increased trade in value as well for next Xbox.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

What this guy said ^^^

Plus there's an early access title coming out this summer called "Vigor" that looks pretty cool. It's only on Xbox and I'm certain it'll run better on the X than the S.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how much you feel you're going to use it. If it's just occasional, then the S will get you by. If you think the X1X will get you to play more Xbox games, then it may be worth it. I think you still have a decent amount of time until the next iteration. They're coming, but not exactly right around the corner.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The S uses less watts but negligible performance gains on the GPU. You might as well trade your regular towards an X. Much better bang for your buck if you can afford it and you play it often.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
If you truly want the best visual experience and don't want to wait until next gen, get an X. Devs are generally trending toward 4K and beyond rather than away from.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As you're really only buying it for one game, and next gen's only 2 years and change away, it depends on if you've got money to piss away or not.

If not, don't buy it at all, you're bound to have more options than you can play with 3 platforms already.

If you're flushed with cash though, get an S and give the extra money you could have spent on the X to charity.

But if you really want to, get an X. It's your money, spend it however you want.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
X definitely. The S was underpowered, even for a 1080p TV with 900p output being the norm.

Whereas the X is an incredible piece of hardware. Games like Far Cry 5 and Gears at native 4K. And BC games at native 4K. If you appreciate pristine IQ then there's nothing like it without going for a high end PC. I have a Pro too btw, but I play almost everything on X now and my Pro is for first party only. It's not just the graphical upgrades over Pro, but the fact the console is silent too.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I had the same question. But you have to remember next gen will be 2020 at the earliest. That is ALOT of multiplats that would play better on X between then and now, not including the cross gens because not every console makes sense day 1.

So I went with X and reading your situation, I have the same answer for you. It's worth the investment.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Never got the S, but I got the X for Monster Hunter World and at no time came to regret that choice. If you can afford it, it is the best one to get.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The X will be much closer to whatever Microsoft can put out in late 2020. It will probably keep the compatibility for longer. And it looks better.
But you have a nice PC, a Pro, and the S is cheap.

CoLD FiRE

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
At this point it makes most sense to wait for the next XBOX. MS has made it pretty clear that they want to hit 2020 and they will keep their BC plans. So you will probably get a XB1X for free with your XB2 purchase.

You're suggesting he waits for 2 years and a half, at least, instead of enjoying all the games the console offers now! I'd understand waiting if a new console was coming out in a few months but 29 months, lol no.

OP, if you can afford it, get the X. If not, the S is pretty cheap and is a very good console too.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
If money isn't a problem get the x. Some of the back compat games in 4k are amazing. I literally got one just for skate 3 in 4k.