• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolma

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Z7rgzU4.jpg

So I don't know anything about Bouncy Bob other than the fact that it's apparently bad and it's constantly going on sale. But this seems to be the most insane sale yet.

Basically you can spend a gold coin on Bouncy Bob, and get a gold coin back making it free.
Which brings me to the question, at what point do you see a game that you know will probably be bad and think "well it only costs this much"

I know I tend to avoid bad games that are absolutely free but will ponder on games that go on sale for 50 cents.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
For me never. I just dont have the time and energy to invest in "bad" games.

Oct 26, 2017
At that point it's not about if these games are worth your money, but are they worth your time?
This, there's generally too much stuff I want to play for me to worry about playing cheap stuff for the sake of it. It's why I couldn't care less when Fallout 76 was plummeting in price. If the game was such a mess, it simply isn't worth my time regardless of price.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
For me, never. There are enough good games out there that you don't ever need to. It's possible to pick up quality games for very little and even free sometimes.

It's also a respect for time thing.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i barely have the time to go trough all the games i have that i'm sure of their quality. time is worth way too much to spend it on bad games.

May 1, 2018
When you... want to buy it?

Maybe you're interested in studying its design. Maybe the game is actually so bad it's fun/hilarious, like Sonic '06. Maybe it's just for a stream.

If you're never gonna play it, then don't.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
At no point. It's not a matter of price but time. Why spending your precious time on something bad while a) there are games in your backlog probably (much) better and b) ... well, you already have paid for.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The older I get the more time becomes a commodity, cliched as the notion is. I went through my 'buy everything posted on cheapassgamer' phase years ago though. So glad I stopped wasting money.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Basically you can spend a gold coin on Bouncy Bob, and get a gold coin back making it free.
Which brings me to the question, at what point do you see a game that you know will probably be bad and think "well it only costs this much"

Can you gift it?

White elephant gift for the office.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Are you going to play them?

Cause i sure as fuck bought that He-Man game for PS2 when i found it for 5 bucks.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never buy anything solely because it's cheap, and it's ok to buy something you want regardless of price.

Oct 29, 2017
Never. You should never be so bored with life that you are willing to play a game you know is bad just because it's a few dollars.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Depends on the game and why. If it's a bad game you have no interest in no amount of cheap (or free) makes it worth it. On the other hand I knew ME:A was bad but as a fan of the trilogy I wanted to see how bad and what made it that way. 10 dollars was my sweet spot.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord. Nothing wrong with buying bad games.

Jesus, direct your dogmas at games that actually deserve not being bought, like sexist/racist/capitalist games and maybe you'll do some good in this world.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You will never know if it's really bad unless you play it.

Spend a cent, play it for 5 minutes and get an opinion about it.

Played several good games that i bought for literally cents, even if it's not common.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Good games are so accessible these days that there's kind of no point unless you are going to get amusement of how bad something is, perhaps with friends or if you own a youtube/twitch channel.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say never, but then I realized that I'm actually doing something similar by "purchasing" all monthly PS+ games regardless of merit, just to avoid having to make a final decision on their worth. So I guess the real answer is "when the cost is zero (on the margin)".

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I barely have enough time to play through my backlog of great-to-exceptional games, let alone trash. 7 year old me would be all over garbage games if they were cheap enough, but I just can't do that now.

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
I dnn't know. probably never?
I thnk those deep sales are just going for an impulse buy and people "reasoning" that even if it's a bad game is not a big expense. Like me buying Fighting Force on Vita for 89 cents. That game was terrible at release and is trash by current standards, I felt cheated out of my money.

I wish I could say I learned from that experience but I bought Valkyria Revolution for $15 a few months later so...
I do think the cover art looks nice and it makes my PS4 shelf one level higher...

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Whether a game's considered bad or good doesn't really matter. If you have an interest in playing a game, there's value to it.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
The time I may waste on a bad game is more valuable, I've learned.

This lesson was exceptionally clear when I completed Knack 2 which was up for free. I regret downloading it at all.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you are going to have a net gain, it is. I do all the time on steam. But form what i see, you are not really gaining anything, except making your list even more bloated.

The best thing about bundles is that you pay that price for like 1 game you actually want, and the rest just there to give you cards.

You can also troll people gifting them bad games :)

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to pick up that platinum ninja turtle game that's supposed to be pretty shit. Was hoping I'd see it somewhere for cheap, but couldn't even find it anymore

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a backlog several hundreds of games strong, the answer is never. Your time is worth more than the savings. You can always earn more money, but time wasted on bad games is wasted forever.