• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
It's only a deal if you'll play it and enjoy it. But for the price of free. Why tf not, I'll delete it straight after.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Never. I'll also never understand the fascination with willingly wanting to play bad games for any reason aside from research purposes. I know people who have willingly parted with their hard-earned money to play Sonic 06, despite mountains of evidence that it is an awful game, because they "didn't believe it."

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want a shit game to stink up my Switch, I would probably pay money to keep it off there instead of getting it free.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
When you feel the cost justifies the entry fee, I guess. Same way bad movies can be entertaining, so can games.

For example, I paid £5 for Sonic 06 on PS3 and definitely got £5 of entertainment out of it, even if it was an awful time.

I'm happier spending a fiver on the hour or so I got out of Sonic 06 than the £40 or so I paid for an hour of Destiny.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
If I had even a hint of wanting to play it, $5-$10 is the sweet spot.

Bought Homefront: The Revolution for $8, played it for 2 hours and never touched it again. Totally felt ok about it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I remember buying sonic 06 in 2006 for 1/5th of the retail price about two weeks after launch.

That was about 80% higher than it should be been

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Z7rgzU4.jpg

So I don't know anything about Bouncy Bob other than the fact that it's apparently bad and it's constantly going on sale. But this seems to be the most insane sale yet.

Basically you can spend a gold coin on Bouncy Bob, and get a gold coin back making it free.
Which brings me to the question, at what point do you see a game that you know will probably be bad and think "well it only costs this much"

I know I tend to avoid bad games that are absolutely free but will ponder on games that go on sale for 50 cents.
Post impressions, please! lol

I picked up No Man's Sky for 9.97. I figured that was the jumping on point.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you decide you want to throw away time, the most valuable thing you have in your life.

Oct 25, 2017
Life is a rich tapestry of experiences.

How do you know you've played a good game unless you've played some bad ones?

I've played thousands of games, of course I've played bad ones.

But you learn and getting games that you know are bad makes no sense.

Your time is more important than Money and there's a Nonstop amount of amazing games coming out.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what you're after. It's never not ok unless the company are like, abusing devs or something.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I've purchased a good number of games I knew were either mediocre or probably bad when they were cheap because it was an interesting exercise to see what these very small budget indie games could do, which I guess in turn made me appreciate more what the veteran, experiences indies and bigger studios accomplish with their games. Plus, you can occasionally find some nice gems in there that for whatever reason didn't get the shot they maybe deserved at some point.

I played a bit of Bouncy Bob when I bought it for $0.17 and it was interesting that it weirdly doesn't have a traditional jump mechanic. Instead, Bob moves back and forth like a golf swing meter and you can have him bounce in the direction he's aiming to try to collect whatever is in that game. It didn't really work out well for that game since it made it more frustrating to play, but it was interesting to see a game try that.

I also bought The Quiet Man at launch while it was on sale because I wanted to see it for myself, which it did not disappoint and it felt like a very low budget game that was rushed out when the bad impressions started spreading. It managed to knock off Super Lucky's Tale from its place as the worst big publisher game of this generation, which was an impressive feat.

Last edited:

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even get games that are literally free if I know I won't play it, let alone technically free. I have too many decent games to play to have those games crowding my brain.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Man Im constantly checking howlongtobeat for good games...I don't have time for games that I know are shitty.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
The collector in me will pick up games that don't sell well for dirt cheap in case they become rare, but that's about it. The free time I have is far too valuable to waste it on subpar games.

NeoPancho

Nov 3, 2017
I agree with everybody that's saying "time>money", but the thing is that you might enjoy a bad game... like, i'm sure most people love or at least like some movies that you are aware they are no good at all, no matter how you look at it, but hey... you love mummies and sharks (or whatever) and that movie has plenty of mummie sharks!. The same happens with videogames, books or anything... it's a matter of checking for some information.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
If it's somethibg that fascinates you for whatever reason and you want to experience for yourself: probably like $5 and under.

When it's just a cheap piece of shit: never. Invest in entertainment or a novel experience, not just getting something because it's cheap.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno... I bought Lightning Returns for five bucks simply to complete the collection. (I also bought a PS2 copy of Final Fantasy XI a year after console service shut down for the same reason :P)

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Perfect place to say that The Order 1886 is currently 3 dollars on PSN. And it's not even a bad game, just average. Lots of people pick it up at this price just to give it a go through for the visuals and neat weapons etc.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Actually bad games never, but something that got mixed reactions or you're not sure of could definitely become a buy on sale.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not going to play a shit game because it's cheap, there are too many good games out there that I haven't played yet.