• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Here's hoping we'll get a good Alone in the Dark game in the somewhat near future. I got excited for the reboot, but it wasn't very good.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
The reboot wasn't great, but I have high hopes for another one, as I love the originals up until The New Nightmare.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Atari really need to get a handle. As someone who's actually played both Alone in the Dark (2008) and Alone in the Dark: Illumination to completion, 2008 is honestly a fun B-game if you take it as such as it does do some wildly out there and creative things in an over-the-top way, while Illumination had potential but they frankly squandered it due to a number of unpolished, uninspired, and janky elements (in a negative rather than positive way).

I lack the confidence they'll do so, but I think it's easy to shit on their output but frankly some of their efforts have some sorta' potential to them, just they seem wildly misguided and undercooked. Haunted House: Cryptic Graves is another example of this from them within the last decade. I lack the confidence they'll manage to pull it off, but I will say this -- even though their recent efforts are frankly bad, they're at least interestingly bad.

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the Good and Services it looks like a TV show or a Film:
Entertainment services in the nature of a series of ongoing television and cable television programs in the field of science fiction, horror, suspense and action

OP
OP
TwinsUltra64

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE
Atari really need to get a handle. As someone who's actually played both Alone in the Dark (2008) and Alone in the Dark: Illumination to completion, 2008 is honestly a fun B-game if you take it as such as it does do some wildly out there and creative things in an over-the-top way, while Illumination had potential but they frankly squandered it due to a number of unpolished, uninspired, and janky elements (in a negative rather than positive way).

I lack the confidence they'll do so, but I think it's easy to shit on their output but frankly some of their efforts have some sorta' potential to them, just they seem wildly misguided and undercooked. Haunted House: Cryptic Graves is another example of this from them within the last decade. I lack the confidence they'll manage to pull it off, but I will say this -- even though their recent efforts are frankly bad, they're at least interestingly bad.

Sorry, you never played the first games up to the new nightmares? If not, I suggest you to play these games, you might fall in love with AinD.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the Good and Services it looks like a TV show or a Film:
Entertainment services in the nature of a series of ongoing television and cable television programs in the field of science fiction, horror, suspense and action

Oh dear, maybe we'll finally get the third Alone in the Dark film.

You know, since the first two films were so good.

Oct 26, 2017
AitD2 is still one of my favourite games ever. Still got my boxed copies of the first three on floppy, even if I'll probably never install a floppy drive again. New Nightmare was okay, but hoping any new game is more like the auld ones than the last abomination.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be That Guy and say I still want a sequel to the 2008 soft reboot even if it will never happen. A foul mouthed hundred year old paranormal detective voiced by Max Payne fighting Satan???? A dark orchestral soundtrack??? Combining spraycans/booze and lighters/handkerchiefs together from a real time inventory to create makeshift flamethrowers and molotovs??? Hell yeah my boy. It was deeply flawed but it had that experimental AAA creativity that died off early last gen.

They'll probably release another embarrassing shovelware-tier failure like Illumination.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
what iteration of "atari" are we in now? was it a pre existing publisher or is it some vague corporate entity

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, you never played the first games up to the new nightmares? If not, I suggest you to play these games, you might fall in love with AinD.

No, I've played all of the Alone in the Dark games. I went out of my way to play every entry in all of the 'classic horror franchises', such as Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and indeed Alone in the Dark. So as a result I have played AitD 1-3 (and the Jack in the Dark thing) as well as New Nightmare and the two attempts at a reboot in the last decade. I haven't played the Gameboy version of New Nightmare or those weird semi-related but not really horror games to the original series I can't remember the name off the top starring the Knights and classic AitD gameplay and by the same studio though.

The two best games easily I think are the original and New Nightmare, the first due to being both innovative for the time and nailing a few things they were going for (the immediate sequels after it went a bit sillier than the original), and New Nightmare was a god Resident Evil clone that did some interesting things with its setting, two characters, etc. I do also think AitD2 has some interesting elements even if sillier though, it's definitely unique at the very least.

I was just mentioning their two most recent attempts in the last decade. AitD 2008 is kind of all over the place, it's actually a highly ambitious game and did a number of things before they were popular, and has some hilarious wonkiness, dialogue, and at the very least is not boring as the game keeps on throwing weird scenario after weird scenario at you (everything from a weird sequence you're a firefighter, to open world exploration of New York's Central Park, to fighting off a giant bat tornado, to a chapter with forklift puzzles, to a first-person 'walking simulator' chapter, to this one bit you're eaten up, go through, and shit out by a giant worm). AitD 2008 I would classify as one of the most interestingly cheesy games of all time. This is also backed with this over-the-top orchestra soundtrack the game doesn't really deserve, hilarious cutscene direction, and the gameplay trying to be everything and the kitchen sink.

Illumination I suffered through with some friends and we did beat it all the way. It's a bit sad to see, there's some glimmer of inspiration behind the title a bit in as they try to throw in some differing scenarios through its campaigns and some decent level design for some of the maps, but it suffers too much from just overall jank (the combat in the game is absolutely terrible and it's what you spend so much of your time doing), game design flaws, glitches, and frankly for many I'm sure it was just a bad idea (for example, who thinks to take a franchise named ALONE in the Dark and turn it into this co-op thing?). It's a bad game straight out I wouldn't recommend to anyone, but having played it all the way through there's some signs of greater ambition behind it, but that doesn't mean much when the end product is shit. Now they did update the game after I played it that apparently made it a bit better, all I know is they fixed some things, added a new enemy type, and some people say it got better after they patched it, but I wouldn't know and don't plan to go back to it. For the record that patch came like a year and a half after the game released.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
With the reboot you mean Illumination? if yes, that game was terrible.

aitd_se_360_ntsc1.jpg

OP
OP
TwinsUltra64

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE
No, I've played all of the Alone in the Dark games. I went out of my way to play every entry in all of the 'classic horror franchises', such as Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and indeed Alone in the Dark. So as a result I have played AitD 1-3 (and the Jack in the Dark thing) as well as New Nightmare and the two attempts at a reboot in the last decade. I haven't played the Gameboy version of New Nightmare or those weird semi-related but not really horror games to the original series I can't remember the name off the top starring the Knights and classic AitD gameplay and by the same studio though.

The two best games easily I think are the original and New Nightmare, the first due to being both innovative for the time and nailing a few things they were going for (the immediate sequels after it went a bit sillier than the original), and New Nightmare was a god Resident Evil clone that did some interesting things with its setting, two characters, etc. I do also think AitD2 has some interesting elements even if sillier though, it's definitely unique at the very least.

I was just mentioning their two most recent attempts in the last decade. AitD 2008 is kind of all over the place, it's actually a highly ambitious game and did a number of things before they were popular, and has some hilarious wonkiness, dialogue, and at the very least is not boring as the game keeps on throwing weird scenario after weird scenario at you (everything from a weird sequence you're a firefighter, to open world exploration of New York's Central Park, to fighting off a giant bat tornado, to a chapter with forklift puzzles, to a first-person 'walking simulator' chapter, to this one bit you're eaten up, go through, and shit out by a giant worm). AitD 2008 I would classify as one of the most interestingly cheesy games of all time. This is also backed with this over-the-top orchestra soundtrack the game doesn't really deserve, hilarious cutscene direction, and the gameplay trying to be everything and the kitchen sink.

Illumination I suffered through with some friends and we did beat it all the way. It's a bit sad to see, there's some glimmer of inspiration behind the title a bit in as they try to throw in some differing scenarios through its campaigns and some decent level design for some of the maps, but it suffers too much from just overall jank (the combat in the game is absolutely terrible and it's what you spend so much of your time doing), game design flaws, glitches, and frankly for many I'm sure it was just a bad idea (for example, who thinks to take a franchise named ALONE in the Dark and turn it into this co-op thing?). It's a bad game straight out I wouldn't recommend to anyone, but having played it all the way through there's some signs of greater ambition behind it, but that doesn't mean much when the end product is shit. Now they did update the game after I played it that apparently made it a bit better, all I know is they fixed some things, added a new enemy type, and some people say it got better after they patched it, but I wouldn't know and don't plan to go back to it. For the record that patch came like a year and a half after the game released.

2008 was like all genre in one game lol, and illumination was just a bad idea I agree with you.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Just do a lazy remake of the first one or New Nightmare, only upgrading the visuals without adding anything else, like Crash.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Atari has renewed Alone in the Dark trademark back in February 2018, does this mean we are gonna see a return of the father of Survival Horror? or maybe it is a Remake?
of course this could mean nothing, but I would like to see a remake of the first 3 games what about you Resetera?

Here's the link: https://www.trademarkia.com/alone-in-the-dark-87793754.html

It's just a move to not lose it. Doesn't mean anything except wanting to still sell old games.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this was real or fake, but it would be a great Alone in the Dark remake Imho

It's real, the original creator of the series released it a few years ago around the time he was working on 2Dark. But Twins please stop multi-posting. Just edit your previous post or reply to more than one message. I will have to take mod action if you keep multi-posting.

mikezilla2

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be That Guy and say I still want a sequel to the 2008 soft reboot even if it will never happen. A foul mouthed hundred year old paranormal detective voiced by Max Payne fighting Satan???? A dark orchestral soundtrack??? Combining spraycans/booze and lighters/handkerchiefs together from a real time inventory to create makeshift flamethrowers and molotovs??? Hell yeah my boy. It was deeply flawed but it had that experimental AAA creativity that died off early last gen.

They'll probably release another embarrassing shovelware-tier failure like Illumination.

the latest non single player affier was a complete and utter dumbster fire

worried about what they will do with this given that they canceled somthing good and churned out iiiumaniton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ngQJK4CyI&t=20s

theres footage in this Review of ATID2008( includes some of the other games as well)

that is By far the most comprehensive Review tho i liked the game Far more then him

new nightmare was probably the height of the series sold the most if i recall ( maybe not) and was the most polished tho my Fave if the 2008 game by ambution alone

the PS3 version is the One to get as it fixes alot of the bugs havent watched the review in some time so unsure if the PC version can be brought up to speed

reviewers twitter can be found @ https://twitter.com/davidhass3lh0ff

pity he dosnt review anymore has he made Some pretty damn good reviews the one linked being his best in my opinion

also Projereds Reviews on the subject is Fun as well

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I'd quite like to see remakes of the first two games. They created a genre, but there was plenty of jank that a remake could clean up.

Alone in the Dark 2 is beyond saving, unintentional comedy aside. It wasn't even good when it came out.

The truth is that the original AitD was the only particularly good entry. The rest have ranged from mediocre to bad.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Alone in the Dark 2 is beyond saving, unintentional comedy aside. It wasn't even good when it came out.

It's still my favourite, though admittedly most of that is due to nostalgia: I first played it on the 3DO and it blew me away as I hadn't played anything like it before, even though it was a poor port of a not great game. The concept's decent and I love the soundtrack, but it would need a considerable redesign; combat heavy gameplay, when the camera angles are bad and there's no way to accurately aim, was a mistake.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A remake of the 1st 3 games as 1 collection would be awesome but it wouldn't sell well these days, people are into being scammed by loot crates and love being connected online these days. With one of the later AitD games being outed as one of the worst horror games ever made by a few publications it would be a good chance for redemption.

OP
OP
TwinsUltra64

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE
I agree with everything you said, honestly I would be happy if they make a game focused to a group of Survival horror fans, I think there's still people that are willing to play AinD, even if they don't invest millions on the game I would still buy it.

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here's hoping that since Atari finally has a whiff of competant management again we can see them going back to games like AITD 2008 and at least giving us a remaster.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that's another studio and style, though it is an often forgotten horror classic.

I decided to look it up. "Time Gate: Knight's Chase" is the name of the game. I found out from searching it up that it was released on Steam though, which I didn't know: https://store.steampowered.com/app/781280/Time_Gate_Knights_Chase/

It originally started development as Alone in the Dark 4, but they departured so far they decided just to turn it into its own game. It was originally supposed to be a 'new trilogy' like Alone in the Dark, but only the first entry released and then Resident Evil hit, and they deemed the series/gameplay style was no longer up to date so cancelled the next two titles. But while it's not a horror game, it plays just like one of the AitD games (as it is by the same people and started off as AitD4).

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that's another studio and style, though it is an often forgotten horror classic.

I decided to look it up. "Time Gate: Knight's Chase" is the name of the game. I found out from searching it up that it was released on Steam though, which I didn't know: https://store.steampowered.com/app/781280/Time_Gate_Knights_Chase/

It originally started development as Alone in the Dark 4, but they departured so far they decided just to turn it into its own game. It was originally supposed to be a 'new trilogy' like Alone in the Dark, but only the first entry released and then Resident Evil hit, and they deemed the series/gameplay style was no longer up to date so cancelled the next two titles. But while it's not a horror game, it plays just like one of the AitD games (as it is by the same people and started off as AitD4).

Had never heard of it, added it now. Thanks!