• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Because the Arland collection not only had great sales behind it, but also could be justified as a way to catch people up for lulua, meanwhile dusk had pretty bad sales and will never get a 4th game

Hm, I dunno. With PS4, PC, and Switch in the mix I feel like there's a good chance we'll see a Dusk trilogy.

OP
OP
chrominance

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I could see a Dusk trilogy happening if only because it's probably not super expensive for them to do and most of the work's already been done. Plus I get the sense that the Plus additions were more substantial than the Arland trilogy minus Rorona Plus. With those games effectively trapped on PS3/Vita, there's a potential audience that's never really gotten the chance to experience all or part of the trilogy before the current generation of consoles hit the reset button.

On the other hand, I do also agree that Lulua was a major factor in the Arland trilogy remaster existing, and no such factor exists for Dusk. So who knows.

OP
OP
chrominance

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my copy of the Atelier 20th Anniversary Visual Collection (which was a random Amazon Japan purchase--I didn't even know it existed until three days ago), and it's immense. I was originally worried that it might just be an artbook for the Nelke game, but it is in fact a comprehensive look at all the major Atelier games from Marie to Nelke. There's even a section for the DS games and the offshoots like Atelier Quest Board and Atelier Elkrone. Each game gets studies for all the main characters, and what looks like every illustrated still scene from the game itself. Some games and series get a little extra, like promo material made for the game or a short interview (Marie/Elie/Lilie gets one of the latter, for example). At the very back there appears to be a character dictionary with basic stats and info for all the major characters.

It's too bad this will likely never be localized and brought to the West, because it would be really neat to read the interviews. Very happy with the book nevertheless!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Just got my copy of the Atelier 20th Anniversary Visual Collection (which was a random Amazon Japan purchase--I didn't even know it existed until three days ago), and it's immense. I was originally worried that it might just be an artbook for the Nelke game, but it is in fact a comprehensive look at all the major Atelier games from Marie to Nelke. There's even a section for the DS games and the offshoots like Atelier Quest Board and Atelier Elkrone. Each game gets studies for all the main characters, and what looks like every illustrated still scene from the game itself. Some games and series get a little extra, like promo material made for the game or a short interview (Marie/Elie/Lilie gets one of the latter, for example). At the very back there appears to be a character dictionary with basic stats and info for all the major characters.

It's too bad this will likely never be localized and brought to the West, because it would be really neat to read the interviews. Very happy with the book nevertheless!
Good to know!
Is it mostly art, or more of a setting book? Really interested in it.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
I have never run into any issues with Sophie and Firis on PC but Lydie and Sullie absolutely refuses to launch and the worst part is that Steam thinks I have so I can't request a refund.

OP
OP
chrominance

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

I chose specific games for the photos (Rorona for the first two, Mana Khemia for #3) but every game gets pretty much the same treatment: a page about the game with a release history, key art of the protagonist and character portraits for everyone else, and then every event illustration taken from the game (or if not every, then damned near close to it). The fourth image is an interview with Hidari, I think (character designer for the Dusk series), and the last image is part of the character dictionary. Characters that show up in multiple games appear to get an entry for each game (you can see four for Escha and two for Esty on the right page, for example).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Mostly art, if I understand you correctly. I'll try to post some pics later.

I chose specific games for the photos (Rorona for the first two, Mana Khemia for #3) but every game gets pretty much the same treatment: a page about the game with a release history, key art of the protagonist and character portraits for everyone else, and then every event illustration taken from the game (or if not every, then damned near close to it). The fourth image is an interview with Hidari, I think (character designer for the Dusk series), and the last image is part of the character dictionary. Characters that show up in multiple games appear to get an entry for each game (you can see four for Escha and two for Esty on the right page, for example).

Awesome thanks!
Seems like a great book :)

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
MisterH-5270260_432_432.jpg

Put her in Lulua, cowards

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Looking at that video comparison, Lulua looks like a good improvement on each platform, nice!

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I started Sophie today. Never played these games before. It's pretty good. I dont like time limits much though does this have one? I plan to get the platinum.any Missables?
Are the other Atelier games good too on PS4?

How is the Arland Trilogy on PS4 too?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I started Sophie today. Never played these games before. It's pretty good. I dont like time limits much though does this have one? I plan to get the platinum.any Missables?
Are the other Atelier games good too on PS4?

How is the Arland Trilogy on PS4 too?
No real time limits outside of rumors/subquest from what I remember (unlike the Arland trilogy).
No idea for platinum, although I guess some stuff is missable if you're not a completionist.
Atelier Firis and Lydie are sequels, same universe/timeline (you'll see Sophie again growing up). Firis is kind of special (open world), and considered the worst of the trilogy. Lydie is great, at least as good as Sophie.

Arland Trilogy is one of the most popular series of Atelier games (I'm not a fan), getting a sequel on a different engine this year.
Nelke releasing in March is a town building spinoff focused on fanservice (as in bringing back characters from the entire series, not the other kind of fanservice).

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
i did, really enjoyed what i played, game runs great on switch, the characters seem fun and vibrant, the alchemy and battle systems are solid as well, the demo pretty much removed my doubts about the game entirely
Sounds good. Is prior knowledge of the other games important for this one?

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Immediately bought the CE. Haven't done that in a while...

The Lulua demo is great, runs smoothly. I'll nab it on PS4 but its good to finally see a Gust game performing well. I love her baseball swing into an enemy.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
So, how is Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists? The NA release is coming and I would like to hear some impressions from people who played the Japanese version.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
So, how is Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists? The NA release is coming and I would like to hear some impressions from people who played the Japanese version.

I don't really know anyone who played it other than Strings from the announcement thread. They didn't like it, but I'm not sure if they were expecting a full fledged Atelier game.

It's a spinoff, so don't go in expecting a regular Atelier game. It's a city-building game that lives on fanservice (not the tiddy kind, but the 'hey all your favorite characters in a crossover' kind). Exploration is kind of automated with 'research' missions. Characters go from one side of the screen to the other and occasionally encounter enemies or pick up new items. Combat seems pretty interesting with attacks building up a drive gauge for bigger and better moves.

I've found some gameplay vids in English are early enough to explain the mechanics.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm planning on buying it on sale. Seems nice and an interesting twist as a spinoff tbh.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably get it, just need to decide if release or not. I'll probably give in though since I love Atelier even if it's a spin-off.

OP
OP
chrominance

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting it no matter what. I love the franchise enough that I can deal with it if the spinoff turns out to be terrible.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have it at launch, my copy is on the way.

OT will probably be up tomorrow evening. Any ideas for a title?