• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
most importantly, do they actually run well on Vita? I feel like this kind of game would work best handheld but I've also heard mixed things about how well the system handles the games.
I can't speak for all the titles as I've only played Rorona and Totori Plus on my Vita but I can say that Rorona ran fine for me. Totori, however, had a lot of slowdowns when transferring items from the Basket or when engaging with enemies on the field.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
The mystery item tho. A $100 and you don't even know what you're gonna get lol. Not sure how I feel about that.

Do we know anything about the time element for L&S? I really liked being able to take my time with Sophie and not feel rushed.
think about it though, it could be anything, like the arland trilogy on ps4, or the arland trilogy on ps4, even the arland trilogy on ps4

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
Kind of Off-Topic but I feel like making an Atelier cosplay in FFXIV but I'd have to do it on a White Mage and not an Alchemist due to the staff weapon. Which heroine should I do? I'll probably still try to glam my Alchemist as one just because.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only Firis left and I'll finally caught up with this series. Atelier always feels like one step forward two step back, I really hate the Rumor system in Sophie. Eschatology was definitely my favorite since Mana Khemia.

QXO6jo6.png

Oct 25, 2017
so I'm pretty late to this series...just finished Atelier Totori Plus. Obsession with playing complete versions feels like it hurt me here though because the game ran like absolute shit. Either way though I enjoyed it a lot. Totori isn't as fun of a character as Rorona, but once the story started going somewhere in year 4 I really liked everything that was happening.

Overall I enjoyed Rorona Plus more due to the more tightly wound deadlines making the time mechanic more exciting, overall more enjoyable characters, and time passing for each gathering point in Totori was frustrating early on. Still looking forward to finding time for Meruru at some point, and eventually continuing into the other trilogies.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing Atelier Firis and now reached the point at which I can change the BGM which made me wonder: How are all these old Gust games featured in the "Gust Historical BGM pack", namely "Falcata", "Meru Purana", "Noir Yeux Noire", "The Adventures of Robin Lloyd", "Hraesvelgr" and "Taisho Mononoke Story Log"? The BGM DLC for the Atelier games is the only place I ever hear about them (they seem to have good music, at least), don't think I ever saw any of them mentioned elsewhere.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017

cross post from the gacha thread, get those atelier online preregs in, everyone gets a free Rorona, should be out within a week or so

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
do we know already what kind of game Atelier Lydie & Suelle is? Is it like Firis?
What do you mean by that? In terms of gameplay it's like the rest of the trilogy (Sophie/Firis), but I believe it's not "open-world" like Firis was, since it's about entering paintings in this one (think Mario 64).

Oct 28, 2017
Necrobumping to just gush at how amazing Atelier Lydie and Suelle sounds.

Might be my favorite normal battle theme in any Atelier game so far and that's saying something. I got high hopes that Gust can knock out a great game after a few meh titles.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
To be fair, nearly every Gust game has a fantastic OST :p
But yeah, looking forward to this game.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Necrobumping to just gush at how amazing Atelier Lydie and Suelle sounds.

Might be my favorite normal battle theme in any Atelier game so far and that's saying something. I got high hopes that Gust can knock out a great game after a few meh titles.

The best battle themes in the franchise definitely are the ones that follow this formula. Upbeat, almost comical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bQ5HBq_0ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zq_QgXrgA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0G6DUsFLwI

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still waiting for combat and character progression from Mana Khemia to return. A version of it appeared in Esca & Logy but it wasn't quite as good. (I haven't yet played anything past that...) Also Totori is the best PS3 era Atelier, the only game I've platinumed, ever.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
So I just checked out the Japanese Atelier Lydie & Suelle demo.

Looks good and I enjoyed it.

That said, frame rate drops were noticeable for me.

Still, fun demo, still need to finish Firis though.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on the post exam phase now of Firis and just gotten Sophie back into my party and on the road to getting all the trophies. :D Enjoyed the game a lot so far though I feel some of the translations are far to literal (the amount of "Is it (really) alright?" annoys the hell out of me) but I've still really enjoyed it.

Also I just found out the other day that Sophie had a DLC epilogue that is set between Sophie and Firis. Kinda sad I didn't know about it earlier and played it before Firis but oh well.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, didn't know about that DLC. I haven't played Firis, so good to know :p

Speaking of Sophie: Atelier Lydie & Suelle Has A Lot Of DLC In Its Season Pass, Including A Boss Fight Against Sophie

Yeah, wish I knew about it before hand :(. It was even free (checked yesterday on UKPSN when I went to confirm what I had read)

Also the title makes it sound like the Sophie DLC is pay for without the season pass but the list says Free next to it's name. Which is good, fighting against Sophie sounds like fun.

Also the patch update sounds cool. I guess we'll be getting that right away or at least as a day 1 patch? If not, soon after I'd hope.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, in addition to the arbitrary +2 characters as DLC Atelier has been dumping on us since the Totori days I think this is the first time they've actually had to gall to charge you for recipes and shit as minor as "new recipes that use Battle Mix". I'm rather worried about Gust, the sales figure for L+S don't seem all that strong and I get the sense Gust is trying to squeeze every last drop out of loyal customers rather than broaden the market. I'm not all that optimistic about the future... they desperately need some kind of killer app.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Hey all! I've been meaning to get into the Atelier games for a while but just never had the time. I'm thinking of starting soon and the only Atelier game I have is Escha and Logy. Is it fine to jump in with that or should I buy a newer one or an older one?

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hey all! I've been meaning to get into the Atelier games for a while but just never had the time. I'm thinking of starting soon and the only Atelier game I have is Escha and Logy. Is it fine to jump in with that or should I buy a newer one or an older one?
They kind of come in series. Escha and Logy is part of the Dusk trilogy, which comprises of Ayesha (1st game), Escha (2nd), and Shallie (3rd). You can play them individually, but you get more out of them by playing the other games since some characters make reappearances.

The Iris trilogy on PS2 are pretty separate, though. They have similar concepts, but the characters are different and unrelated. The Arland trilogy on PS3/Vita (Rorona, Totori, and Meruru) are a continuing story with each other.

Ayesha was my first Atelier game, and then I played through the rest of the Dusk games, then the Iris trilogy, Mana Khemia games, and I'm now going through the Arland trilogy. I haven't play any of the Mysterious games yet, so I can't comment on those. The PS2 games are easy to get into, since time restrictions are fairly benign, aren't too long to finish, and have some really charming sprite animations. Iris 2 is one of my favorites.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
And you can start with the best Atelier game - Mana Khemia too.

Please, Gust, remake it and release again, pretty please

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like Atelier Lydie and Suelle is going to be Japanese voice over only, which means I will be forced to tolerate Japanese grade helium.

Here I was hoping they'd bring back Pamela's VA for one more game too....

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Atelier Lydie and Suelle is going to be Japanese voice over only, which means I will be forced to tolerate Japanese grade helium.

Here I was hoping they'd bring back Pamela's VA for one more game too....
god I can't stand that NISA doesn't have this series anymore, we don't get LEs and now no dubs

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
god I can't stand that NISA doesn't have this series anymore, we don't get LEs and now no dubs

We do get LEs from the NISA American/Europe stores (though for an exorbitant amount imo)

Despite my issues with NISA for other series, I do wish they still had Atelier though. The translations feel too literal now and less flavour.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm all for liberal translations, but that decision to name Esty Dee in Rorona was just... not good.

It also made me question whether or not Mimi's name in Totori wasn't some childish joke, too, since its German pronunciation is "sh-farts-long".

I'm really bummed out about the lack of English voice acting in Lydie and Suelle. I'm playing through Totori right now, and Cassandra Morris just totally makes that character for me. I played through Tales of Hearts R with its lack of English voice acting, and really had a hard time liking the characters because I was so distracted by my brain trying to associate English words I knew to what was being spoken, which made it sound like they were saying some of the most ridiculous, nonsensical things.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It also made me question whether or not Mimi's name in Totori wasn't some childish joke, too, since its German pronunciation is "sh-farts-long".
It's the official romanization of the Japanese name, you can even find it on the official Japanese website. They might have meant "-rang" instead of "-lang", but who knows.
"Esty Dee" is completely stupid, though. Good thing I didn't pick up on that when I played the game.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Her Japanese name is エスティ エアハルト (Esty Erhardt), so this has to be intentional.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Hello!

I know it's quiet in here, but does anyone have any helpful hints for Rorona Plus' overtime mode? I'm currently stuck on the fourth boss in Machina Domain. I'm running Rorona/Totori/Meruru and after about 50% HP he just destroys my party. I have best staff on each and best armor (with defence and speed traits, can't remember what else) and the revive accessory (that never seems to work). I also have elixirs with Pepped up on but they don't have KO recovery - is this needed?

I also haven't crafted Infinity Meteor yet, will this make a big difference?

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Hello!

I know it's quiet in here, but does anyone have any helpful hints for Rorona Plus' overtime mode? I'm currently stuck on the fourth boss in Machina Domain. I'm running Rorona/Totori/Meruru and after about 50% HP he just destroys my party. I have best staff on each and best armor (with defence and speed traits, can't remember what else) and the revive accessory (that never seems to work). I also have elixirs with Pepped up on but they don't have KO recovery - is this needed?

I can't answer most of your questions sadly as it's been quite a while, but you REALLY want KO Recovery on your Elixers.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hello!

I used the three alchemist team, too.
My final setup was:

Weapon: Veteran Skills, Fatal Pain, Eco-Skill, MP Cost Pack, Rainbow Power
Armor: Special Guard, Elemental Guard, Hard Coat, Sonic Move, Life Guard
Speed Belt: Night Essence, Flame Essence, Elemental Guard, Stats Power, Speed Star
Angel Charm: Veteran Skills, Night Essence, Elemental Guard, Stats Power, Speed Star

Infinity Meteor with Godbreaker, Rank Special, Single Bonus, Ultra Quality, Loner Slayer L

I have breakdowns of how to craft them and transfer traits if you want. I farmed the items for crafting from the area in the Abyssal Tower where Ozean Kaiser is.

I didn't write down what I used for my Elixir, but it had Pepped Up, KO Recovery, and also increased Max HP. I also used an Absorb Gourd to reduce the enemy's level and stats. Pinwheels are helpful, too, especially Meruru's Pinwheel skill with some nice Skill+ equipment. I have a YouTube video of my Machina Domain run here. It's from my first win through the dungeon, so my equipment is weaker than what I ended up with, and the battles are kind of long because of it.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I used the three alchemist team, too.
My final setup was:

Weapon: Veteran Skills, Fatal Pain, Eco-Skill, MP Cost Pack, Rainbow Power
Armor: Special Guard, Elemental Guard, Hard Coat, Sonic Move, Life Guard
Speed Belt: Night Essence, Flame Essence, Elemental Guard, Stats Power, Speed Star
Angel Charm: Veteran Skills, Night Essence, Elemental Guard, Stats Power, Speed Star

Infinity Meteor with Godbreaker, Rank Special, Single Bonus, Ultra Quality, Loner Slayer L

I have breakdowns of how to craft them and transfer traits if you want. I farmed the items for crafting from the area in the Abyssal Tower where Ozean Kaiser is.

I didn't write down what I used for my Elixir, but it had Pepped Up, KO Recovery, and also increased Max HP. I also used an Absorb Gourd to reduce the enemy's level and stats. Pinwheels are helpful, too, especially Meruru's Pinwheel skill with some nice Skill+ equipment. I have a YouTube video of my Machina Domain run here. It's from my first win through the dungeon, so my equipment is weaker than what I ended up with, and the battles are kind of long because of it.

Thanks for this! Looks like I'm gonna have to spend a good while trait farming then, bummer.