• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, apparently Gust said the next Atelier game will be announced around May or June, plus

It will have a different disposition and offer a different experience compared to previous games in the series. It was described as having a "festive feeling."

Gematsu

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So, apparently Gust said the next Atelier game will be announced around May or June, plus

Gematsu
Nice. I remember them teasing in previous interviews that it might be some kind of best of/celebration title like the final Etrian Odyssey games. Would fit with the "last 20th anniversary game" bit too.
Should also be the last Atelier game on Vita (in Japan obviously).

I don't think this would be the start of a new trilogy/saga at least.

OP
OP
chrominance

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I remember them teasing in previous interviews that it might be some kind of best of/celebration title like the final Etrian Odyssey games.

So when you say "final," you don't mean... FINAL final, right? Like, the franchise isn't going to die after this, is it?

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice to have a bit of a departure/try something a bit different like Mana Khemia.

Also, I doubt A20 would be the final Atelier project.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
based on what a decline atelier's been on since meruru, I'd certainly hope they would be smart enough to change up the formula

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
Question: Is it possible to save the camera distance setting in Firis? I keep having to readjust it whenever I go into the atelier.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
For all of the shit I've heard people saying that Atelier Firis is a very very bad game, it's certainly made a very good first impression with me so far. Just having something resembling a deadline got me re-interested even if it was super generous.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
For all of the shit I've heard people saying that Atelier Firis is a very very bad game, it's certainly made a very good first impression with me so far. Just having something resembling a deadline got me re-interested even if it was super generous.

I don't care too much about the deadline (though I'm happy it was a deadline followed by free time :D) but Firis is pretty good. Think I'd put Sophie above it but I really liked Firis.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
I'm liking it too. I wish it ran better on my PC/Vita though. Sophie ran like butter on my system but Firis runs like crap. The Vita version keeps crashing for me. :/

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

I liked it but I had this issue that never went away where whenever it rained lightning would sometimes cause my game to crash that really kinda took me out of it

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
xb00dLp.jpg

My final thoughts are: it is a pretty game, I can't stand Lydie's VA, like totally, all others are fine but she is not. Alchemy was very complex, it annoyed me most of the game (well half really) that I can't make anything good, or even decent, unlike in all previous Atelier games. I would have said that a game is hard on hard, but they lifted lvl 50 cap, so it's not as hard anymore even on very hard.
I really don't like how Gust totally shifted from all other good trait acquiring methods to farming a few bosses ad nauseum. In L&S you literally can find only one useful trait group is quality... I liked quality trait gathering, hidden spots and so on, but what you can do...
And one final thing, another trilogy is over and nothing changed, Mana Khemia is still the very best, and Arland trilogy is the best out of modern games, but not as good as two Mana Khemia games. There is no going back I know, but how I wish there were more games as those two.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Atelier really feels like one of the franchises struggling hard with the middle dropping out of Japanese console gaming. Many either are shifting to mobile (something that hasn't panned well out for the series so far...), courting the non-Japanese audience harder or just dying out altogether.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
based on what a decline atelier's been on since meruru, I'd certainly hope they would be smart enough to change up the formula

I just want them to go back to the old formula. I just started replaying Totori Plus and oh my god it's so much better than the Mysterious games.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
well, you see, that's why they have to do own thing, you want them to get back to Arland times, I want them to get back to Mana Khemia times, and Iris times, but mostly Mana Khemia. You can't please everybody, people like different things and all that

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest the only problem I REALLY have with the settings outside of the Arland trilogy is that they feel like they're abandoned without a resolution to the story.

Although in terms of crafting, Arland was definitely up there in a super hardcore way that hasn't been attained ever since (... probably for good reason)

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
I think they need to change things up visually. The Dusk series had really good art, but the Mysterious art just looks like Pixiv nonsense.

I also think making younger and younger protagonists is not helping brand perceptions.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea who insisted on 3D presentation over VN busts + dialogue window half a decade ago, but it's also been a large factor in the presentation suffering. At least 2D busts can be played to their strengths and relying on abstraction to get story across. Cheap 3D will always look cheap.

I mean hell, I joked about how GUST budget is so shoestring that someone opening a door is accomplished by a fade to black and a door opening sound, and they're STILL doing it for games as recent as Blue Reflection.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
It's so nice reading all the love for Arland in here. Easily my favourite Atelier trilogy in recent years.

Firis made me lose interest in the series, that had already started waning with Sophie. I will try the new one some day but I'm in no rush.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
I have no idea who insisted on 3D presentation over VN busts + dialogue window half a decade ago, but it's also been a large factor in the presentation suffering. At least 2D busts can be played to their strengths and relying on abstraction to get story across. Cheap 3D will always look cheap.

I mean hell, I joked about how GUST budget is so shoestring that someone opening a door is accomplished by a fade to black and a door opening sound, and they're STILL doing it for games as recent as Blue Reflection.
Falcom are even worse for this. Gust's character models look semi-reasonable, at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
I just want them to go back to the old formula. I just started replaying Totori Plus and oh my god it's so much better than the Mysterious games.

IIRC one of the major reasons the Arland trilogy was successful was that when they were marketing it it was push as a "return to our roots" sort of thing where Rorona was going back to the basics of Atelier, which Totori and Meruru built off of. God I love those three games so much. :D

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's very interesting hearing fans reactions to the different games in series, coming from Iris being my 1st game 13 odd years ago to Sophie being my 2nd, I loved Sophie a lot and it was definitely a highlight for me but when I went to look for the Atelier communities there was a lot of resentment to the Mysterious series and I found that a little surprising.

Shallie was my 3rd (and admittedly I haven't finished yet) and it's a really strong game imo. I'm also playing Firis at the same time and whilst the open world is interesting and a different approach to Sophie I can really see the quality drop in Firis a lot. I'll eventually work my way backwards at some point after I get the Mysterious series out of the way.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I actually really dug Firis in that it basically threw you out into the world and said "hey, go do whatever the heck you want" and emphasized it by letting you go off the beaten path right smack into optional sidequests even on the first area. In a way it was pretty refreshing the way Totori was - very little overt guidance/breadcrumbing.

Unfortunately it just runs slam damn into GUST's budgeting issues.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
It's very interesting hearing fans reactions to the different games in series, coming from Iris being my 1st game 13 odd years ago to Sophie being my 2nd, I loved Sophie a lot and it was definitely a highlight for me but when I went to look for the Atelier communities there was a lot of resentment to the Mysterious series and I found that a little surprising.

Shallie was my 3rd (and admittedly I haven't finished yet) and it's a really strong game imo. I'm also playing Firis at the same time and whilst the open world is interesting and a different approach to Sophie I can really see the quality drop in Firis a lot. I'll eventually work my way backwards at some point after I get the Mysterious series out of the way.

I can't say I strongly dislike any Atelier game, closest to not liking much would be Firis (not having to walk so much, much much larger storage and ability to register things would fix even Firis for me) and Ayesha which just seemed not as good as other Atelier games, and again not really bad, but not as good.
It's just that Mysterious series are not as fun as Arland trilogy was, I'm not so invested in characters here either, so it's not about timed aspect for me. I like Dusk trilogy well enough also, but again, every Atelier game I play just makes me miss Mana Khemia so much more.
I still wait for Gust to hit jackpot and make a game as amazing as Mana Khemia again.

And as we talk about getting back to roots, shouldn't it be Iris, I honestly wouldn't mind a new Atelier game like any of Iris games too.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Eternal Mana most, but The Azoth of Destiny is very close second, having two so different characters was great!

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
Alright fine Ateliers I have an inquiry for you.

I played and finished Totori plus on my Vita a while ago and wanted to get back on the atelier horse.

I own both Rorona and Meruru and actually downloaded the former but since there was an option to load the save from the other games yet it didn't seem to care for my Totori save.

So that got me thinking, what exactly did I miss from the game and the fact did I only got the regular ending, as in
it only shows her on the village and mentions she is an adventurer, despite busting my ass killing the dragon on the on the tower on the far continent and not really finding any other story threads

So I guess my inquiries are

1- what did I miss in Totori and is it worth going back?
2 - what is that save in Rorona looking for?

And third and most important, should I stick with Rorona since it's the first in the timeline or rather play them in order of release meaning play Meruru first instead.

Please advise :)

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Alright fine Ateliers I have an inquiry for you.

I played and finished Totori plus on my Vita a while ago and wanted to get back on the atelier horse.

I own both Rorona and Meruru and actually downloaded the former but since there was an option to load the save from the other games yet it didn't seem to care for my Totori save.

So that got me thinking, what exactly did I miss from the game and the fact did I only got the regular ending, as in
it only shows her on the village and mentions she is an adventurer, despite busting my ass killing the dragon on the on the tower on the far continent and not really finding any other story threads

So I guess my inquiries are

1- what did I miss in Totori and is it worth going back?
2 - what is that save in Rorona looking for?

And third and most important, should I stick with Rorona since it's the first in the timeline or rather play them in order of release meaning play Meruru first instead.

Please advise :)
1. Atelier Totori has 12 different endings. I think you got the normal ending. Rorona's the worst one and has something like 37 endings (though many are mostly alike, and there're about 18 distinct ones)

2. If you have Totori save data, it'll give you Totori's hat to use as a costume accessory. If it finds Meruru data, it'll give you Meruru's hat. No big deal.

3. I'd suggest playing them in story order (Rorona->Totori->Meruru), but since you've already played Totori, I'd say just go with Meruru next. You'll be more familiar with the characters for overtime in Rorona Plus.

Oldtaku

May 8, 2018
Spain
Well, I finished recently Atelier Shallie (the PS3 vainilla version) and it has been a good experience. But I had higher expectations for the finale of the Dusk series, it doesn't give me the closure that I expected.

I mean, it has good character design both written and visual (Thank you, HIDARI), and has a good battle system, easy to learn and fun to exploit when you know how to fight. The setting is awesome, seems like an upgrade from "that sea" of the first game but now in a massive scale so you can see the full consequences of the Dusk. And you can go to a new continent (even if doesn't have many things besides the Lord of Water and that "laboratory" in matter of story and lore). I kinda miss more impact, more cameos and a better sense of closure.

At least I loved the Alchemy system in this one. I liked the one in Atelier Escha, but the chains give it a bit more of options. The only mistake I see is to put the Imbuing in another room (with its load time) instead on the same room like Atelier Escha, it feels like a drag for pacing.

Well, now I'll take my time to play the Arland Series. I hope the Vita versions aren't too broken for what I read...

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
gotta play Shallie Plus if you want an actual finale to the trilogy, that's when they decided to actually finish the damn game

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Huh? Is there an after story or something in the plus version?

Serious question, I haven't played it nor looked into it at all

Yep

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/2...-scenarios-and-guests-in-japan-on-march-2016/

Q: What kind of content will the new scenario feature?

A: It'll fill in some gaps that we weren't able to in the original version. With the appearances of Ayesha and Logy, we'll get to dive into various details and interpretations of Dusk.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
I've not looked into this too much but I just saw this

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/nelke-a...elier-of-a-new-land-first-details-screenshots

Seems like 2D Portraits are in this game. Been years since we've had that:

Nelk-and-the-Legendary-Alchemists-Atelier-of-a-New-Land_2018_06-17-18_015.jpg

Huh, I wonder why I haven't heard of this. Been so busy lately it just wasn't on my radar.

Looks interesting. At first it seems almost like the mobile game that has a lot of prior series protagonists, but it's also kind of its own thing with town building, etc. I'm very curious how they're going to handle the cross-over. It's clearly fan service, but it makes me wonder if other characters will be offered via paid DLC or something. I'm also a little concerned about how hands on the alchemy will be since it's not the game's protagonist that's doing the alchemy, but rather these all-stars who are helping out.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I wonder why I haven't heard of this. Been so busy lately it just wasn't on my radar.

Looks interesting. At first it seems almost like the mobile game that has a lot of prior series protagonists, but it's also kind of its own thing with town building, etc. I'm very curious how they're going to handle the cross-over. It's clearly fan service, but it makes me wonder if other characters will be offered via paid DLC or something. I'm also a little concerned about how hands on the alchemy will be since it's not the game's protagonist that's doing the alchemy, but rather these all-stars who are helping out.

Valid concerns but we'll see.

I just wonder why they went back to the 2D Portraits. Lesser budget maybe?

I'm also sad that we probably won't see this for another game since I enjoy these Portraits.

That said, wouldn't mind playing this just to see the series protags I don't know (anything before the PS3 era)

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, looks like Lydie and Suelle is on sale on Steam right now, is that worth picking up for someone who didn't really enjoy Sophie or Firis?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Probably not.
It's different from Firis for sure, but I'd say it's still close to Sophie. Depends on why you didn't like them really.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
why didn't you like them specifically? personally i liked sophie but hated firis and i think lydie and suelle is pretty good

I liked Sophie better out of the two for sure, but I felt both of them were pretty lackluster. I hate the art, the combat's a massive step back from the Dusk games, there's none of the time management of the Arland games, and the Tetris alchemy feels a bit shallow. Plus, the cast in the Mysterious games feels even more one-dimensional than it usually does in this series.

So basically I guess my question would be, does Lydie and Suelle improve upon any of those things I didn't like (alchemy, combat, cast, or mission structure)?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I liked Sophie better out of the two for sure, but I felt both of them were pretty lackluster. I hate the art, the combat's a massive step back from the Dusk games, there's none of the time management of the Arland games, and the Tetris alchemy feels a bit shallow. Plus, the cast in the Mysterious games feels even more one-dimensional than it usually does in this series.

So basically I guess my question would be, does Lydie and Suelle improve upon any of those things I didn't like (alchemy, combat, cast, or mission structure)?

You probably won't like it then, and better off waiting for the Festival game or the next trilogy.
Mechanics are improved a bit over those two games, but just a little bit.
The cast makes most characters come back at some point, like previous trilogies, but is not exactly better. I think adult Sophie is an improvement though.

I liked Sophie and disliked Firis but liked this one.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
You probably won't like it then, and better off waiting for the Festival game or the next trilogy.
Mechanics are improved a bit over those two games, but just a little bit.
The cast makes most characters come back at some point, like previous trilogies, but is not exactly better. I think adult Sophie is an improvement though.

I liked Sophie and disliked Firis but liked this one.

Ah okay, thanks! I guess maybe I'll wait until they reveal the new trilogy.