• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
0sfnZgV.png

Developer: Gust
Publisher: Tecmo Koei
Genre: Crafting Simulation / Turn-Based Role Playing Game
Platform: PS4 (Digital), PC (Steam), Switch (Digital/Asian Physical)
Release Date: January 14th, 2020
Price: $39.99 ea. ($89.99 bundle price)
PC Specs:

Minimum:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Core i5 2.6GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 or better,1280x720 (Graphic Memory 2GB or better)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 17 GB available space
Sound Card: 16bit Stereo 48kHzWAVE

Recommended:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Core i7 3.4GHz over
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX960 or better, 1920x1080 (Graphic Memory 2GB or better)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 17 GB available space
Sound Card: 16bit Stereo 48kHzWAVE
LSqA3Xu.png

The Deluxe (DX) versions of the games are remastered versions including most (but not all) DLC from previous entries. They take all the new features and content of the Vita (Plus) versions of the games along with a sizable chunk of downloadable content such as costumes, music, and more and roll it all into one package. Each of the games can be purchased separately, but there is a discount for buying all three (typically 25% discount).

Run / Sprint
The ability to run/sprint has been added into the game, allowing for faster traversal across fields. While it may seem minor, this can assist greatly when gathering across the larger maps and also help in escaping powerful enemies who seem hellbent on destroying you when all you're trying to do is pick some flowers.

Fast Forward (Battle)
Battles can be set to fast forward, allowing players to breeze through encounters that they typically have no trouble with or to assist with farming materials from particular creatures.

Plus Features
Costumes, accessories, bosses, difficulty modes, challenges, story expansions, and more are included in the Plus versions of the game. Additionally, new art albums, quality of life changes, and extra music has been included in the re-releases as well.
XspIMfo.png

Atelier Ayesha follows the story of an apothecary living in the outskirts, far removed from the general populace. Not too long ago, her little sister disappeared in the nearby ruins without a trace. After a fateful crossing of paths with the illustrious yet aloof Keith in the ruins, Ayesha becomes introduced to the art of alchemy and learns it may help her in the search for her sister Nio.

EcTwjWM.png

Atelier Escha & Logy (see: eschatology) takes place four years after Ayesha to the west of the Twilight Land. The citizens of the land have started to re-ignite the art of alchemy to prevent the End of Dusk, an ominous black day looming in the worlds horizon. Escha and Logy are assigned to the same project, leading their fates to be linked as they seek to develop the town and learn the secrets of alchemy.

BgTQJAI.png

Atelier Shallie takes place ten years after Ayesha (and six after Escha & Logy). Follow Shallistera, the daughter of a chieftain, or Shallotte who runs her late father's atelier. The two embark on an adventure to discover the mysteries of Dusk and seek to learn more about the world and its decline.
wh8q5L2.png

Q. I've never played these games before. What are these games like?
A. These games are typically Slice of Life Crafting Sims mixed with JRPG elements. You spend a lot of time crafting, exploring, and battling alongside also getting to know a large cast of characters over the course of multiple games. You're usually not going on an adventure to save the world or anything.

Can I start with this? Which one should I start with?
A. Dusk is its own trilogy, but Ayesha is the first entry. It's recommended to enter into the start of a trilogy/sub-series.

Q. I've only played Ryza, how is this trilogy different?
A. Ryza had no time limit or calendar system. The Dusk series has a light time limit and a notable calendar system with events happening on certain dates or specific scenes happening in certain days or seasons. However, Shallie has no time limit and is instead focused on tasks that need to be completed to continue on. Dusk also features a turn-based battle system.

Q. Is there a physical version?
A. Not in the US. There appears to be an Asian Switch version that can be imported, though there haven't been any impressions yet regarding what it includes (e.g. Dubs).

Q. How often do these go on sale?
A. Atelier games don't often go on sale. There has been a 10% discount at launch on the Arland trilogy, a 25% bundle discount for the entire trilogy, and there was a sale recently on eShop and Steam.
PC users can utilize the Steam wishlist or IsThereAnyDeal.com to follow sales, though console may need to resort to following Koei Tecmo's twitter. Good times to look for sales are during seasonal and holiday times.

Q. How do I tell all these Atelier games apart?
A. They're generally divided by sub-series. These sub-series often contain 2-3 games that are tied together but sub-series generally do not link to one another directly (e.g. Arland is not linked to Mysterious).

Below are all the games available in English.
Iris consists of Atelier Iris 1 (2005), 2 (2006), and 3 (2007).
Mana consists of Mana Khemia 1 (2008) and 2 (2009).
Arland consists of Rorona (2010), Totori (2011), Meruru (2012), and Lulua (2019).
Dusk consists of Ayesha (2013), Escha & Logy (2014), and Shallie (2015).
Mysterious consists of Sophie (2016), Firis (2017), and Lydie & Suelle (2018).
Annie (2009) is a spinoff for the Nintendo DS that is more akin to original game, Atelier Marie.
Nelke (2019) is not an Atelier game but a crossover celebration game focused on city management.
Ryza (2019) is the latest installment and a new series/trilogy with no ties to previous entries.

nThJF26.png

Thanks to the friends in the Atelier OT for being ever helpful, the lovely people at the Atelier wiki for all the info, and KT for finally giving into our screaming about Dusk ports/remasters.

Community OTs
Atelier Community Thread
RPG Community Thread

Other Atelier OTs
Atelier Arland Trilogy (Arland 1, 2, 3)
Atelier Lulua (Arland 4)
Nelke & The Legendary Alchemists (20th Anniversary Spinoff)
Atelier Lydie & Suelle (Mysterious 3)
Atelier Ryza (Newest entry, new sub-series/trilogy)

Last edited:

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
No, it's not digital only on all platforms. Physical in Asia on Nintendo Switch, playable in english.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
VGP should be shipping my physical Asia Switch copy on... Friday? (Not sure why it's taking so long since it apparently came out Christmas Day, but that's the date they've had on their site since they put up the listing, so who knows.) Considering double-dipping on PC, have to see what the Steam price is first.

Also, there's never been a better time to post the best opening theme song/intro Atelier has ever had:

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Preload unlocked a couple of hours ago. Will start with Logy's game and go from there since I more or less finished Ayesha on PS3.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I just preloaded Shallie on PS4.
I am way too excited to play one of my favorite Atelier games ever!

Looks like at least on PS4, the game is releasing at midnight PST in the US, so I'll be staying up late to play :)

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Asian version also include the dubs, or just subs?

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered like a month ago, and pre-loaded on PS4!

Can't wait to see that Shallie OP again <3

Altho Ayesha is first. HELLO MARIA ^^

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Finally my chance to play through Shallie. Got it on Vita, but it released around the same time as Sophie so never got around to it.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions on Ryza vs Shallie? I'm way more interested in the playable characters in Shallie, but I'm more interested in gameplay/combat overall and I heard Ryza is really great in that regard...

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently Ayesha has some occasional stuttering, but the other two are okay.
Somehow I'm not surprised. The Arland ports on Switch had odd cutbacks. But E&L and Shallie were the first using the Musou engine, as all the current games are, and also there's been a bunch of Musou ports on Switch. Meaning that engine is uber matured on Switch at this point, that those two must've been cake to port.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered the Asia version cause I have to get physical if it exists. Have beaten Rorona, Totori and Meruru but by the time I got to Ayesha I was wanting to play my PS4 more so I'm super excited to play the disk series finally.

Kinda curious if Sophie and Firis will ever come to switch. I know the 3rd of that serious has and all the new ones have.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you should put in the OP that the games are discounted for a limited time. I think it's 10%.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How often was the Arland Deluxe Pack Steam version discounted, and was the discount decent?
Asking to get rough idea whether to wait or not for Dusk trilogy.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I just hope these will go on sale more often than the Arland, I waited an year for a 40% discount.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
I was thinking about getting Ayesha for my PS4 but 40$ is too much. And I don't want to buy the bundle without playing the first one, just in case I don't like it (which happened with Totori).

Oh well.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for more info on the physical Switch package before thinking about getting it.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So of the games available on the Switch, what are the best ones? I've played Totori & Ayesha on PS3.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Thoughts on Shallie? I'm interested in Ayesha and I played E&L plus on vita already. I heard the 3rd game went downhill wrt to writing so not that interested in the bundle. Also, money.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
So of the games available on the Switch, what are the best ones? I've played Totori & Ayesha on PS3.

Switch has...

Arland
Rorona
Totori
Meruru
Lulua

Dusk
Ayesha
Escha & Logy
Shallie

Mysterious
Lydie & Suelle

(Darkness?)
Ryza

Of them, I'd say (in no particular order) - Totori, Escha & Logy, Lulua, and Ryza.

Thoughts on Shallie? I'm interested in Ayesha and I played E&L plus on vita already. I heard the 3rd game went downhill wrt to writing so not that interested in the bundle. Also, money.

Last I recall that was due to the game being incomplete and not wrapping up the actual Dusk story. I've been told that the Plus/DX versions included new scenarios/events that actually properly conclude the story and work other characters back into the plot.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I felt like Shallie had a perfectly serviceable conclusion to its own story.

That it didn't provide closure to the entire Dusk trilogy never felt like a problem to me. I never had the expectation that the Shallies would somehow find a way to avoid the climate apocalypse. I haven't played Shallie Plus/DX but I hope this isn't how they resolve everything.

If we're just talking about how Ayesha is basically absent for two games, though, YEAH THAT'S KIND OF HORSESHIT.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Me in 2012, starting Ayesha for the first time: Ayesha seems nice, but she's a little dull compared to the Arland alchemists
Me in 2020, starting Ayesha DX for the first time: *through watery eyes* DON'T WORRY AYESHA, YOU'LL FIND YOUR LITTLE SISTER, I KNOW IT

(seriously I was not expecting to be this emotional upon starting the game again, man I love Atelier Ayesha)

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't recall if the 40% applied but the 15% did apply on top of the bundle discount, I believe that's when I picked it up on Steam.

Thanks.
I guess I'll just wait and see for now. Bought Arland at launch and only started to play few days ago.

Edit:
All Atelier on Steam just went on sale because of Dusk DX launch.
I just checked SteamDB and it looks like the bundle discount is applied on top of whatever current discount each product has.

Last edited:

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Me in 2012, starting Ayesha for the first time: Ayesha seems nice, but she's a little dull compared to the Arland alchemists
Me in 2020, starting Ayesha DX for the first time: *through watery eyes* DON'T WORRY AYESHA, YOU'LL FIND YOUR LITTLE SISTER, I KNOW IT

(seriously I was not expecting to be this emotional upon starting the game again, man I love Atelier Ayesha)
Did you double dip, or did VGP get it together?