• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i kinda got burned out of Atelier atm since i went through 6 games in less than 6 months. i even started Lulua but this is when fatigue kicked in.
i have the Dusk trilogy on PS3 (only started Ayesha and played like 1 hour) and imported the Switch physical release.
i'll probably get back into them once i finish Fire Emblem.
i also have Ryza still unopened. i might just put off that one for until the sequel comes out.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ayesha runs like the PS3 version when docked and the Vita version when handheld.

It's playable.

Hmm. I feel that Ayesha runs better than the Vita version. There are some slowdowns but the resolution is better and the slowdowns are less frequent it seems. Maybe because it has been a while and I am never one that cared about framer ate much.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Started Atelier Escha and within 5 minutes they said at least 6 times "I'll do my best."
Is there no way to skip the alchemy animation when ingredients get added?

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so for the PC version of these, can you go into the .ini and set the resolution to 4k like you could for Totori?

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little annoying that the FPS is capped knowing these platforms are stronger than PS3/Vita and PS3 at least had uncapped FPS, but if performance is more consistent then I guess it'd be an acceptable price. Still weird for 2D menus to clearly not be running as smooth as you know they could though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Hey so for the PC version of these, can you go into the .ini and set the resolution to 4k like you could for Totori?

I can confirm the INI is there, but I'm not sure if it works to set 4K resolution. I tried it just now and it didn't seem to work, but a) I left Windowed mode on, and b) I don't have a 4K display.

I did try 1920x1200, because that's the native res of my monitors, and it did seem to change the resolution but it didn't look like 1920x1200 to me in Windowed mode. It DID look like 1920x1200 in fullscreen mode, but unfortunately the aspect ratio is still fixed to 16:9 and it just stretches the image to fit 16:10.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm the INI is there, but I'm not sure if it works to set 4K resolution. I tried it just now and it didn't seem to work, but a) I left Windowed mode on, and b) I don't have a 4K display.

I did try 1920x1200, because that's the native res of my monitors, and it did seem to change the resolution but it didn't look like 1920x1200 to me in Windowed mode. It DID look like 1920x1200 in fullscreen mode, but unfortunately the aspect ratio is still fixed to 16:9 and it just stretches the image to fit 16:10.

Ah okay, thanks! Sounds like the jury's still out, but I'll probably end up getting at least Ayesha either way. I've played quite a few games from this series by now, but Ayesha's decent story, absurdly great soundtrack, and gentle time pressure still make it my favorite of the bunch by far.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
What are the dusk games like for endings? I only played the arland games but i remember them having a crazy amount of them.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
4K resolution shows up on the resolution list, but I'm guessing you are really asking if the internal resolution is actually 4K.

I'm not really sure how to tell, but I took some screenshots.

1E18136578F16A25FCF3757BC335863669DD0715

1B3C88126F512251618EB0B7FD3FE68F1A789A87

What are the dusk games like for endings? I only played the arland games but i remember them having a crazy amount of them.
If I remember correctly, I think this trilogy just has the character endings. I think these allow you to select the ending you want (as opposed to Arland where you had to make multiple saves and change up your final days to get the right ending priority.)

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
One thing that I find annoying in Escha is in the Item section. It show the attributes for instance Bursting but not which element it is. Also, is effect important?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Best of both worlds: still lots of endings, but you get to choose which one you want to see at the end (if you have a save from just before the end of the game, you can unlock all the endings you're eligible for by just reloading the save after you see each one and picking a different ending). Shallie has fewer endings than previous games in the franchise, and Sophie largely abandons the concept (mostly because there's no time limit and extremely few missable events, so you can just finish each character's storyline and see their final event as you play).

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the game, you just choose the one you want.

Best of both worlds: still lots of endings, but you get to choose which one you want to see at the end (if you have a save from just before the end of the game, you can unlock all the endings you're eligible for by just reloading the save after you see each one and picking a different ending). Shallie has fewer endings than previous games in the franchise, and Sophie largely abandons the concept (mostly because there's no time limit and extremely few missable events, so you can just finish each character's storyline and see their final event as you play).

Thanks all sounds good

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Started Atelier Escha and within 5 minutes they said at least 6 times "I'll do my best."
Is there no way to skip the alchemy animation when ingredients get added?
You mean the automatic mixing? Level up a couple of times and you gain full control. If you mean the animation that plays when adding an element then nope. No speed control at all.

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
Hi, I am waiting for my physical copy to ship, and I have a question.
I'd like to play Shallie first (I find the titular characters more compelling than Ayesha/E&L) but since it's the 3rd episode of the trilogy, it probably has some QOL changes.
Are these changes (crafting, combat, exploration, time limits) really noticeable?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I am waiting for my physical copy to ship, and I have a question.
I'd like to play Shallie first (I find the titular characters more compelling than Ayesha/E&L) but since it's the 3rd episode of the trilogy, it probably has some QOL changes.
Are these changes (crafting, combat, exploration, time limits) really noticeable?

Time limits and pacing will be the biggest differences between Shallie and the rest of the trilogy. Combat is fairly similar to Escha & Logy, and I believe crafting is as well, though it's been a while since I've played it. I don't recall much in the way of obvious QOL improvements; I would say Shallie plays a little differently than the other two, not that it plays better. (In fact, when I first played the Dusk trilogy, Shallie was my LEAST favourite.) So if you're just worried about whether it'll be hard to play Ayesha or E&L after Shallie, I don't think it'll be an issue aside from not knowing much about characters from previous games.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Now that it's the weekend, I can finally put some time in Escha & Logy. I started with Escha but I'm very curious how Logy's side of things are. Does he use the same crafting system? I haven't played this since launch years ago and didn't get very far thanks to FFXIV raiding consuming all my game time.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Some quick PC tidbits for Ayesha. I did get 4K supersampling working by creating a custom 3840x2400 desktop resolution in Nvidia Control Panel (I have a 16:10 display, hence the odd 4K resolution) and changing Ayesha's INI file to 3840x2160, but it doesn't seem as smooth as I'd expect ("4K" on the left, 1080p on the right):

tkk6PNg.png

Character shadows are also weird in these screenshots but that seems to be an intermittent issue maybe? Or at least, I saw a cutscene with Wilbell that had both crappy pixelated shadows and ones correctly shaped to the character.

There's also some kind of weird corruption going on after running the game for a bit, something like alpha transparency not working right on certain elements:

evZtbVA.png

XanMd9G.png

Based on the screenshots zoku88 posted of Shallie, I'm going to guess these are issues specific to Ayesha and probably has to do with the game being on an older engine. I think Escha & Logy was the first game to use Koei Tecmo's Dynasty Warriors engine, so hopefully it's just Ayesha that has these issues. Maybe someone will figure out how to get some proper anti-aliasing working?

Now that it's the weekend, I can finally put some time in Escha & Logy. I started with Escha but I'm very curious how Logy's side of things are. Does he use the same crafting system? I haven't played this since launch years ago and didn't get very far thanks to FFXIV raiding consuming all my game time.

I also haven't played it since the original PS3 release, but if I remember correctly the way it works is that Escha does all the traditional synthesis while Logy handles improving weapons and armor. I think you have access to both types of synthesis no matter which character you play as, and don't recall significant gameplay differences depending on which protagonist you choose, but like I said it's been a while.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, looking at the Shallie screenshots again, I'm now seeing the same thing that's been reported in a bunch of threads on Steam: Shallie and Escha & Logy are missing character shadows completely. All of this is beginning to remind me of what happened to Firis's PC port.

It sounds like if you want the most trouble-free, performant version right now, PS4 is still your best bet. A shame. At least the PC version of Ayesha has no framerate issues, that seems rock solid.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, looking at the Shallie screenshots again, I'm now seeing the same thing that's been reported in a bunch of threads on Steam: Shallie and Escha & Logy are missing character shadows completely. All of this is beginning to remind me of what happened to Firis's PC port.

It sounds like if you want the most trouble-free, performant version right now, PS4 is still your best bet. A shame. At least the PC version of Ayesha has no framerate issues, that seems rock solid.
It has weird stutter (shader compilation?) on each textbox. Very distracting.
As for AA, you can use Reshade to inject SMAA, cleans up the image significantly. Won't take care of specular or mip-map aliasing though, DSR would've take care of that, but as the games have rendering resolution locked to 1080p, setting it to 4k it doesn't do anything other than adding some blur.
I refunded all games, I see no sense in rewarding Koei Tecmo porting incompetence.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Finally arrived! And it came with a SURPRISE.

mwj6hOtl.jpg

The keychain box is eerily detailed. Here's a snap of the back to illustrate:

3fHjxkcl.jpg

It opens up to reveal a cartridge slot, which is pretty cute.

Some of these details are already known, but just to confirm:
  • Voice is Japanese/English, while subs are English only
  • Each game is a separate tile on the Switch home screen
  • Not sure what region your Switch account needs to be to claim the Gold coins, but Canadian doesn't work (I'm going to guess U.S. will be fine though, based on the DLC region the game apparently uses)

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

mwj6hOtl.jpg

The keychain box is eerily detailed. Here's a snap of the back to illustrate:

3fHjxkcl.jpg

It opens up to reveal a cartridge slot, which is pretty cute.

Some of these details are already known, but just to confirm:
  • Voice is Japanese/English, while subs are English only
  • Each game is a separate tile on the Switch home screen
  • Not sure what region your Switch account needs to be to claim the Gold coins, but Canadian doesn't work (I'm going to guess U.S. will be fine though, based on the DLC region the game apparently uses)
What about performance on Switch? Stable 30?

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

Logy's game is the exact same as Escha's (except you are playing as Logy.)

mwj6hOtl.jpg

Lucky! So tempted to get this even though I own all these games twice.