• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
From Gust on 4gamer, via Siliconera, in order (PS4 top, Vita bottom):
KecL5Ou.jpg

ZSsmAhr.jpg

7D88Pu1.jpg

The game will also be released on PC with probably a little bit better than PS4 graphics.
More at the link as usual.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes at Vita. Switch is acceptable, especially when you consider the portability, but wew that Vita.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, the Vita version looks great! The water is actually blue unlike those other versions. Not surprising that a system named "life" would get the color of water correct.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
PS4 - All Shaders
Switch - Less accurate shaders (some volumetric light missing)
Vita - no shading whatsoever

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
If I had to decide between Vita and switch, I would use the Vita version. Switch is to blurry.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch. Switch looks like what I'd expect Vita to look like. That's a rough looking game.

PS4 it is I guess.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If PS4 is the lead then it is to be expected for Vita to look like this. The hardware is simply to old to still contest these games with a modern lead platform.
Going by the screen, PS4 it is. With PS4 being the lead it doesn't really scale down all that well in my opinion. =x

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
first screen makes switch version look awful with what's missing from it. second seems fine, just a bad resolution. rest of the screens make switch look passable. not sure why the title screen of all things looks that bad though.

also that last screenshot at the site totally put me off of the game.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do the other atelier games on vita look like this too or did they get lazy this time?
As far as I can see it is because they switched from PS3 being the lead to PS4 being the lead. Some newer effects simply scale down pretty badly as the Vita is already quite old. Switch just gets blurry and looses a few effects but Vita is simply old from a hardware view point. The older titles look better in my opinion, even if they are missing newer effects, etc. .

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo and Gust are getting worse and worse at optimization. Jesus christ.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this a ton. Really enjoyed the demo - feels like it's going to be the strongest Atelier in a while.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The game will also be released on PC with probably a little bit better than PS4 graphics.
More at the link as usual.
mXyupD1.gif

I wish the previous Atelier games looked better on PC, but both with Sophie and Firis, they really messed up shadows and effects like AO are missing. Sure, you can push arbitrary resolutions, but effects wise, it wasn't on par.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I understand that the previous versions of Vita had a frightful FPS, perhaps they have decided to have something that runs well this time

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Strange.
I don't remember Atelier Sophie looking that bad.
What the hell happens to the latest Atelier?

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish the previous Atelier games looked better on PC, but both with Sophie and Firis, they really messed up shadows and effects like AO are missing. Sure, you can push arbitrary resolutions, but effects wise, it wasn't on par.

Does Durante have a thing for Atelier games and fixes small stuff if he has time for that? I currently have no information, that is why I am asking.

I don't get why they made the Vita version if they weren't going to put some effort into it.
Not sure if its effort or rather the base being to high to "down port". We probably will never know.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why they made the Vita version if they weren't going to put some effort into it.

They probably threw it together quickly after they saw all the moaning about Trails of Cold Steel 3 not having a Vita version :P

Does Durante have a thing for Atelier games and fixes small stuff if he has time for that? I currently have no information, that is why I am asking.

He's definitely a fan of the series, not sure if he does fixes though

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this continues the trend of terrible downports for the Vita. Probably the most disappointing thing in terms of its library, honestly. But maybe this was the easiest way for them to avoid a sub-30 FPS performance, perhaps.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
Bad pics i know but this is how water looked in atelier totori +, the first atelier game on vita, even in these pics you can see how better water was.
035.jpg
add_cap05_zoom_05.jpg

edit:
another one
1_newcostumes-2.jpg

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the Vita is far more capable than that (even the PSP would laugh at that water), these down ports are just getting embarrassingly bad now.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really just need to kill the Vita versions at this point. Firis already looked terrible and ran like absolute shit, I can't even imagine how this one will go.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the Switch version seems to look alright. I can't wait to try it out! That Vita version definitely looks rough though... I wonder how much longer Gust will keep supporting it?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the Switch version seems to look alright. I can't wait to try it out! That Vita version definitely looks rough though... I wonder how much longer Gust will keep supporting it?
99% this will be the last one. They probably just wanted to close out the trilogy on it more than anything else.