• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Good! I bought the first one retail, during a VERY RARE discount, and liked it; I then asked for/received the secondo episode for review, and LOVED it (I think it is a good expansion of what the first set as a base, especially in terms of exploratoin additions, with swim and climb)
And visually, it put to shame many small/mid tier JRPG imho

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
If only Koei Tecmo understood sales and price reductions. First game is still 60euros on Steam and the best sale has been 36euros.

Even Atelier Sophie was still full price, although it looks like they're releasing DX versions of those for who knows what reason so they'll hopefuly be a bit cheaper

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
nice. bodes well for this trilogy holding sales across all 3 games instead of collapsing like all previous ones in the last 10 years (no idea about pre-PS3 Atelier games but i noticed all the trilogies since Arland trend to drop in sales a lot between the first and second and then another huge drop between 2nd and 3rd).

i guess the tits market was saturated but the thighs one was starved...

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This bodes well for a potential Atelier Ryza 3. Keep the Ryza games coming, I will happily continue purchasing them!

MegaApple

Jun 20, 2020
India
I'm still we wondering how did it get so popular?

When Ryza 1 was announced, I remember reading Atelier fans being cautious about it. I stopped following anime and Japanese games social media for a while. And then I suddenly I see non-gaming anime fans talking about Ryza. Then I see the impressive sales numbers, and I don't understand what is going on....

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still we wondering how did it get so popular?

When Ryza 1 was announced, I remember reading Atelier fans being cautious about it. I stopped following anime and Japanese games social media for a while. And then I suddenly I see non-gaming anime fans talking about Ryza. Then I see the impressive sales numbers, and I don't understand what is going on....
Lots of horny fanart blah blah, plus Atelier games in general being good quality, so the folks who jumped in generated positive word of mouth.

I just hope Gust funnels the money into other projects and it doesn't influence their direction too much, because I'm really not into this iteration personally.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sure would be nice to find a copy of 1 selling for MSRP...

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Played the first one and loved it and I heard the second is even better. They deserve it

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Is this the same kind of effect that Yakuza 0 getting popular because of winning Nugget the chicken in bowling exploding on Twitter and Bakamitai in meme culture?
It doesn't hurt, but Ryza was also a good game that was more accessible to new players. Streamlined gameplay, better graphics, not as difficult etc.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
nice. bodes well for this trilogy holding sales across all 3 games instead of collapsing like all previous ones in the last 10 years (no idea about pre-PS3 Atelier games but i noticed all the trilogies since Arland trend to drop in sales a lot between the first and second and then another huge drop between 2nd and 3rd).

i guess the tits market was saturated but the thighs one was starved...
Despite how fun it was, Mana Khemia 2 did not need to exist. 1 was great and it had a great ending.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
It doesn't hurt, but Ryza was also a good game that was more accessible to new players. Streamlined gameplay, better graphics, not as difficult etc.

Lulua also had these traits but bombed pretty hard.

it's no wonder people point to the thighs since it's the only really noticeable difference with past games without playing the games themselves. the jump in graphics is only noticeable if you skipped entries since the jump between each game is not very big.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Lulua also had these traits but bombed pretty hard.

it's no wonder people point to the thighs since it's the only really noticeable difference with past games without playing the games themselves. the jump in graphics is only noticeable if you skipped entries since the jump between each game is not very big.
I think a lot of people were unhappy with various aspects of Lulua though, like the Arland pandering that wasn't welcoming to new players, misleading story elements from the marketing etc.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Not only that, Lulua came out In Europe the same week Ryza was announced IIRC, and in 8 months we got Nelke, Lulua and Ryza, this overexposure to the series sometimes can be harmful to sales and clearly, when given a choice, people focuses on the new game with the better graphics and new story rather than a sequel to 10 year old trilogy. I mean, there were many factors in Lulua's bombing, just as many as there are in Ryza's success (which is more than thighs, despite the character's popularity).

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, and I just got the physical from Amazon last week on a whim. (For $39.99; I wasn't going to open it, but now....)

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Happy to hear about the success of the Ryza series, it has good character designs and seems like a good jumping on point for the series.

Hope it sees more success for Koei Tecmo so Gust can continue to make good JRPG's.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
I think a lot of people were unhappy with various aspects of Lulua though, like the Arland pandering that wasn't welcoming to new players, misleading story elements from the marketing etc.
hm i see. i got this game when it had been out for months already so i never saw any marketing.
i'll agree that up to that point being a sequel was a detriment since up to that point the sequels were having worse sales than trilogy starts.

i guess the little things ended up adding up and it seems this time they struck something good for Ryza 2 to have such a good hold. maybe they'll keep doing trilogies like this in the future instead of changing the protagonist like before.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think its success is a combination of the engine/visual upgrade, the battle system change, and the character designs. Plus if I'm not mistaken, although it wasn't the first Atelier game on Switch, it was the first one on Switch to start a new sub-series.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I think its success is a combination of the engine/visual upgrade, the battle system change, and the character designs. Plus if I'm not mistaken, although it wasn't the first Atelier game on Switch, it was the first one on Switch to start a new sub-series.
That definitely helps.

I do hope KT expand the Ryza games to Xbox too though. Their support of the platform in the JRPG area has been abysmal.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

and not a late port.
yeah, that definetely helped in opening a brand new "console crowd" to the series

But I agree that graphics and combat system helped a lot

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
One day I would get the Switch version of the first one physically.

(Hopefully).
This is my situation as well. i haven't seen it cheaper than 45-50€ and that was second hand, but at that price I'd rather support the developers instead.

A digital sale to celebrate the milestone would be nice at the very least 😅

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
No attachment to the series myself - I haven't played either - but it's great to see the games doing well. They've obviously got a passionate fan base.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The first game has just gone half price on the UK eshop, been waiting for a good sale on this.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, I picked up the Switch physical of Ryza 1 today (for $85, I'm an idiot) and having only played a bit of the first Arland game,I'm excited to jump in. I hope it's as good as I've been led to believe.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Both games are on sale on the NA PSN now. Wonder if they'll do an eShop sale as well.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I have been looking to play some of the Atelier games, but damn those are expensive games.