• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I got this for Xmas and been playing sporadically since, but now giving it my attention. A bit overwhelmed by the combat (ATB is always a huge trouble point for me in JRPGs as I easily get overwhelmed and forget what button does what.)

I'm early in and need some kind of crystal ore from the cave dungeon right off the beach port - I guess it's the crystal guarded by a tough enemy - I died to them once as I thought it was a regular enemy type I'd already seen many times before, a lesser version. I died once, but killed them the next time and can't attack the crystal ore to extract it - so I don't have the right tools, I get that. I made a Woodcutter's Axe (which I don't know is the right tool or not, that's not what I'm asking) but I can't see how to equip it. I already made a Sythe and switch to it with L1 + right thumbstick, so I don't understand where the Axe I made is or how to equip it? Sorry for long winded explanation.

Also, does the inventory get larger as the game goes on? I'm getting pretty sick of having to return to Ryza's room a third way through exploring a new area because my inventory is full. Other than that, it's a cute, fun game with bags of charm and great music - The respite I needed to while away the hours until Elden Ring!

Oct 25, 2017
I got this for Xmas and been playing sporadically since, but now giving it my attention. A bit overwhelmed by the combat (ATB is always a huge trouble point for me in JRPGs as I easily get overwhelmed and forget what button does what.)

I'm early in and need some kind of crystal ore from the cave dungeon right off the beach port - I guess it's the crystal guarded by a tough enemy - I died to them once as I thought it was a regular enemy type I'd already seen many times before, a lesser version. I died once, but killed them the next time and can't attack the crystal ore to extract it - so I don't have the right tools, I get that. I made a Woodcutter's Axe (which I don't know is the right tool or not, that's not what I'm asking) but I can't see how to equip it. I already made a Sythe and switch to it with L1 + right thumbstick, so I don't understand where the Axe I made is or how to equip it? Sorry for long winded explanation.

Also, does the inventory get larger as the game goes on? I'm getting pretty sick of having to return to Ryza's room a third way through exploring a new area because my inventory is full. Other than that, it's a cute, fun game with bags of charm and great music - The respite I needed to while away the hours until Elden Ring!
Make sure you are equipping gathering items at the base/Atelier. I'd imagine it's in your container there.

The inventory can get bigger, but I forget how far into the game you need to get before you can. You'll have to synthesize a bigger bag as a gathering item, so I'm pretty sure it's later than earlier. I'd recommend either not gathering from every point, or just trashing lower quality items as you go. You'll end up with far too many items as you go anyway, and plenty of alternatives, so focus more on items that are hard requirements for anything you want to make or higher quality stuff rather than just everything. Still a bit annoying though, I get it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

The axe question has already been answered, but regarding gathering, I would also recommend just trashing low-quality items, preferably by turning them into gems (assuming you've unlocked this ability, I think you get it halfway through the game).

Even if you just trash them into the abyss, though, it's usually not a big deal; as you get to new areas you'll often find the same or better materials at higher quality and with better traits anyways, so except in rare cases where maybe you only get one or two of an item and it's not farmable for some reason, you can toss pretty much anything. And the items you only get one or two of are pretty much always for one-off recipes for story progression.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thank you both for the answers, the axe must be in the container then, I hadn't realised items you make go straight there.

I started selling items to vendors just because it's not something I'd done before and realised how many 'blue flowers' and uni type items I had like dozens and dozens of each, so thanks for the tips about tossing trash items, I had been picking up pretty much everything, every time!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you both for the answers, the axe must be in the container then, I hadn't realised items you make go straight there.

I started selling items to vendors just because it's not something I'd done before and realised how many 'blue flowers' and uni type items I had like dozens and dozens of each, so thanks for the tips about tossing trash items, I had been picking up pretty much everything, every time!

To be fair, I am also a trash vacuum! The only times I don't keep everything I gather is when I'm in a dungeon with good ingredients in it and fill up before I've cleaned the place out, and then I usually clear my basket by sorting by quantity and discard the stuff I already have tons of in the basket until I'm down to a few items, unless it's something really good or an ingredient I'm specifically looking for.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I am also a trash vacuum! The only times I don't keep everything I gather is when I'm in a dungeon with good ingredients in it and fill up before I've cleaned the place out, and then I usually clear my basket by sorting by quantity and discard the stuff I already have tons of in the basket until I'm down to a few items, unless it's something really good or an ingredient I'm specifically looking for.
I've always thought about this. I think the only game in the series where I didn't feel like I was being overloaded with useless trash was Ayesha. The Arland games and Ryza 1 (haven't played 2 yet) just feel like the give you far too much trash to sort through when doing a synthesis. I've been playing around with designing a synthesis system like you'd find in Atelier, and really wondering how to best balance the need for a lot of materials vs making sure those materials always feel meaningful. It's hard without accidentally forcing the player to grind.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought about this. I think the only game in the series where I didn't feel like I was being overloaded with useless trash was Ayesha. The Arland games and Ryza 1 (haven't played 2 yet) just feel like the give you far too much trash to sort through when doing a synthesis. I've been playing around with designing a synthesis system like you'd find in Atelier, and really wondering how to best balance the need for a lot of materials vs making sure those materials always feel meaningful. It's hard without accidentally forcing the player to grind.

Oh, I have some thoughts about this!

One thing that separates Arland from more recent games (that I think was brought back with either Ryza or Mysterious but I'd have to double-check) is that in Arland, the same ingredient can have both different qualities AND different traits. So for example, if we're talking about blue puniballs, I can get blue puniballs that are maybe quality 20-30 at the beginning of the game and have really weak traits like, I dunno, Puni Repel, but in later dungeons find the same blue puniballs with higher quality and better traits like Attach (Elemental).

Dusk doesn't really have this in the same way. I think item quality can still differ, but the traits are fixed; if you're trying to pass on traits in recipes and don't care about quality (or have other ways to raise it instead of relying on ingredient quality), then literally any blue puniball will do because they all pass on the same traits.

On the one hand, it makes things quite a bit simpler; you don't have to cross your fingers and hope you'll get an ingredient with a specific trait for a cool weapon or bomb you want to build, or if you DO have an ingredient with a specific trait, you don't have to be precious about it and hoard it until you can build the right thing. It also means you're less incentivized to keep around 400 puniballs because maybe one or two of them have a trait you might need in the future. But on the other hand, making every ingredient have the same traits takes a bit of the fun out of collecting; ingredient quality doesn't matter that much except in certain scenarios, so you don't get that fun prize of (say) seeing that blue puniball with a ridiculous attack trait or whatever.

I don't think one system is better than the other, it just leads to different things to prioritize in synthesis. For example, I find that in all the games where traits aren't consistent from ingredient to ingredient, I try to "save" specific traits I like by synthesizing low-level recipes using that ingredient, that can then be used in other recipes (or recycled into even more of the same low-level recipe, ex. synthesizer --> zettel --> synthesizer that uses paper ingredients --> zettel --> etc.) Whereas in the Dusk games I don't think I did as much of that, and instead focused on how to minmax the various synthesis boost options you had in Ayesha and later to, say, carry over more traits or make really expensive ingredients cheaper.

One of the things that can help with this is whether the game also has the concept of combining traits. Ryza has a simplified version where some traits can have levels, so ex. an ingredient with Defense Level 2 can combine with an ingredient with Defense Level 5 to create Defense Level 7. But of course this just leads to you hoarding all the ingredients with Defense so you can combine them later. Arland and I think Dusk had a more advanced version of this where you could combine ATK/DEF or ATK/SPD or DEF/SPD traits into a combo trait, and then combine two combo traits for All Stats Increase/Boost/etc, or other similar combinations that weren't always obvious and had to be found through experimentation (or careful wiki/compendium reading). Again, encourages you to keep ingredients with lesser traits because you can sometimes combine them.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021
Sorry to bump an old thread. This is on sale atm on playstation. Has anyone played it on ps5? Wondering about frame rate.