• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Does she not heal in Aggressive Mode? She won't use AP in Negative mode.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

I assumed Aggressive Mode meant "everyone attack." In hindsight it does make sense that it's actually about AP management.

EDIT: god it would be terrible if it turned out the reason I had trouble with that earlier boss was also because I didn't use Aggressive Mode and that's why Tio didn't bother using the healing item he had

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

I assumed Aggressive Mode meant "everyone attack." In hindsight it does make sense that it's actually about AP management.

EDIT: god it would be terrible if it turned out the reason I had trouble with that earlier boss was also because I didn't use Aggressive Mode and that's why Tio didn't bother using the healing item he had

I don't think they use core items to heal in aggressive mode, just their skills. So Klaudia would use her healing skill, although I'm not sure if the game does the skills randomly or it knows when you're low health and will always opt for healing. I assume it's the latter. I usually just try to do everything manually as best as possible.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they use core items to heal in aggressive mode, just their skills. So Klaudia would use her healing skill, although I'm not sure if the game does the skills randomly or it knows when you're low health and will always opt for healing. I assume it's the latter. I usually just try to do everything manually as best as possible.

This very much seems like a case where the gambit system in FF12 or (more reasonably) the AI settings in Tales games would work wonders here. But I also kind of get the sense that maybe Gust actually DOES want us to drive everyone manually.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
That's true, Lulua made it really easy to make all your skills cost 0 MP, which felt super good but probably not the best balance decision. Though I did still get wrecked by end-game bosses.

I think what makes Ryza harder is largely the real-time aspect and having to juggle the interface. Like, often I have a pretty good idea of what needs to happen, but trying to execute the plan before everyone dies can be difficult. I also feel like this game needs some way to communicate with your other members, instead of forcing you to take control of them. Klaudia not healing anyone unless you control her, for example, seems really dumb. Like Mitsuru Marin Karin levels of dumb.

Yes that is a minor issue. You should be able to give your party orders like heal or use items.

I haven't noticed Klaudia ever using her healing skill in more aggressive mode but maybe she does.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
These games seem to be pumped out fairly regularly, right? So we can expect Ryza to have at least a trilogy? Do you guys expect a sequel next year or will we wait until PS5?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
These games seem to be pumped out fairly regularly, right? So we can expect Ryza to have at least a trilogy? Do you guys expect a sequel next year or will we wait until PS5?

I 100% expect Ryza to be a trilogy, and I expected this even before it sold really well in Japan at launch. It's just kind of how things go. I think Gust staff have said on multiple occasions that they basically need Atelier to live (as a relatively consistent seller with a known budget envelope, I assume).

Sophie came out about two years after the PS4 came out, and it was a cross-gen release. Given that the PS5 is supposed to be backwards compatible, I assume the Secret trilogy (or whatever it ends up being called) will carry on releasing roughly every year, blissfully unaware of the generation transition, and that whatever happens afterwards will be on PS5.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I 100% expect Ryza to be a trilogy, and I expected this even before it sold really well in Japan at launch. It's just kind of how things go. I think Gust staff have said on multiple occasions that they basically need Atelier to live (as a relatively consistent seller with a known budget envelope, I assume).

Sophie came out about two years after the PS4 came out, and it was a cross-gen release. Given that the PS5 is supposed to be backwards compatible, I assume the Secret trilogy (or whatever it ends up being called) will carry on releasing roughly every year, blissfully unaware of the generation transition, and that whatever happens afterwards will be on PS5.

Hopefully with the big sales on Ryza it will give Gust even more to work with in the future to polish the series even further.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Gust currently has four projects in the works, one of them being an Atelier game. It's likely the sequel, which is a given, but based on how well Ryza has sold I hope they give it a little extra time. One is Fairy Tail. I hope one of the others is Blue Reflection 2.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017

Atelier series follows a yearly release schedule + sometimes we get spinoffs in the same year (Atelier Nelke)

Atelier series are usually trilogies. (we had 2 duologies) but if the sales of this series continues being great, I think we can even expect a fourth game later (like they did with Arland)

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Started doing alchemy. Have no idea what's happening! And then there's this shit about Core Crystal, recharging, disabling, healing using charges...Oh boy I am lost.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Started doing alchemy. Have no idea what's happening! And then there's this shit about Core Crystal, recharging, disabling, healing using charges...Oh boy I am lost.

It's one of those things where the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Since there's no time limit and resources respawn indefinitely you can pretty much just craft whatever over and over just to learn and get accustomed.

Core charges and using core items is just a fancy way of saying it's how you use items in an RPG. Once you create usable items like healing ointments, bombs, etc. you can place those items on your weapon. Go into the equip screen then press R. Unlike other RPG's, you actually create your healing item and depending on the recipe and materials used it can determine how good it is. The great thing is you can use the item indefinitely as long as you have a core charge. You start with 10, and you can see how much an item uses up by the bottom right circle on an item (CC - 1). So if you use a healing item 10 times, you exhaust the core charge, but you can use another item to recharge the core back to 10 mid-fight. To do this, hold Y for a few seconds and you'll see an on screen prompt. Once you use an item to recharge, it becomes unusable until you go back to your atelier or rest I believe.

Hopefully that helps explain it a bit.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There's been some weird UI stuff here but they truly lost me on the item reforging thing. I tried to remake a bomb but it keeps flashing a level and highlighting Lent.

It said something about the level of the item can't exceed the alchemy level but his dexterity is so low that if it needs to work for the whole party I basically can't do this to anything. I feel like i'm missing something here, lol.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those things where the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Since there's no time limit and resources respawn indefinitely you can pretty much just craft whatever over and over just to learn and get accustomed.

Core charges and using core items is just a fancy way of saying it's how you use items in an RPG. Once you create usable items like healing ointments, bombs, etc. you can place those items on your weapon. Go into the equip screen then press R. Unlike other RPG's, you actually create your healing item and depending on the recipe and materials used it can determine how good it is. The great thing is you can use the item indefinitely as long as you have a core charge. You start with 10, and you can see how much an item uses up by the bottom right circle on an item (CC - 1). So if you use a healing item 10 times, you exhaust the core charge, but you can use another item to recharge the core back to 10 mid-fight. To do this, hold Y for a few seconds and you'll see an on screen prompt. Once you use an item to recharge, it becomes unusable until you go back to your atelier or rest I believe.

Hopefully that helps explain it a bit.

So using an item to recharge the core doesn't USE the item up, it really does just "disable" it until I rest?

Also, is it worth using Auto for alchemy? Or should I be doing it myself?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So using an item to recharge the core doesn't USE the item up, it really does just "disable" it until I rest?

Also, is it worth using Auto for alchemy? Or should I be doing it myself?

Correct, you never lose an item unless you discard it or sell it.

I usually just opt for manually doing alchemy. Sometimes I just want to create an item with a certain quality for a side quest so doing auto would be a waste of materials. I guess it's fine for early on but eventually you're going to want to pick and choose how to make items the way you want.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
There's been some weird UI stuff here but they truly lost me on the item reforging thing. I tried to remake a bomb but it keeps flashing a level and highlighting Lent.

It said something about the level of the item can't exceed the alchemy level but his dexterity is so low that if it needs to work for the whole party I basically can't do this to anything. I feel like i'm missing something here, lol.

Are you talking about reforging your gear, or are you talking about rebuilding an item using gems? In the latter case, each time you add a new ingredient to the build, the level of the item goes up. That level cannot exceed Ryza's alchemy level.

I'm not sure why Lent would appear in the rebuild screen at all, though, so now I'm wondering if I'M missing something!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Fired up the game to play an hour before bed, and here's what happened:

Story told me to go to Boden, watched a cutscene with Agatha about the fishermen spreading rumors. Story then tells me to go to Basel, where I run into Mio asking about said rumors in a cutscene. Story then tells me to go to Kurken Port for another cutscene with Agatha. Then the story says Ryza goes to confront Brunnen about the rumors, so I go to Treppe Hill and trigger a cutscene with Brunnen. Then the story asks me to return to the Atelier for another cutscene. Then it's back to Treppe Hill for a town gathering cutscene, and then finally back to Kurken Port for one last cutscene before I finally get to do something besides fast travel somewhere to watch a cutscene.

Honestly, it's getting pretty ridiculous how many times you have to fast travel somewhere just to advance the story and watch a cutscene. It's inelegant, even for an Atelier game.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about reforging your gear, or are you talking about rebuilding an item using gems? In the latter case, each time you add a new ingredient to the build, the level of the item goes up. That level cannot exceed Ryza's alchemy level.

I'm not sure why Lent would appear in the rebuild screen at all, though, so now I'm wondering if I'M missing something!

Yeah, the item rebuild with gems.

U3tajtK.jpg

Took this of it. I thought her A.level was the thing it was looking at, but it's 15. The bomb I have is a 6, when I add this it turns into a 9, blocks it and highlights Lent. But his number is so low it's kinda stopping me from doing this on just about anything, lol.

Unless it's the consumed gem part? But his number is still red.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'm not quite there yet, but I believe the consumed gems being higher than gems owned is why it's red and blocks it. Lent being red I think means he would be unable to use the item due to his dexterity.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the item rebuild with gems.

Took this of it. I thought her A.level was the thing it was looking at, but it's 15. The bomb I have is a 6, when I add this it turns into a 9, blocks it and highlights Lent. But his number is so low it's kinda stopping me from doing this on just about anything, lol.

Unless it's the consumed gem part? But his number is still red.

It's definitely the gems. I just tried it on my game, I can still rebuild an item past Lent's dexterity level no problem. Also, all the ingredients on the left are in grey boxes, which means you can't add them because they're too expensive.

The red number for Lent just means he can't equip the item, but it shouldn't prevent you from doing the rebuild.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Just an FYI, at a certain point in the game you can trade those gold coins you pick up to Klaudia's dad in her house and sometimes he sells materials to change the look of your atelier for 1 gold coin. It's sorta easy to miss so if people were wondering how to modify the look of your atelier without the digital deluxe that's how I've found out so far.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gust currently has four projects in the works, one of them being an Atelier game. It's likely the sequel, which is a given, but based on how well Ryza has sold I hope they give it a little extra time. One is Fairy Tail. I hope one of the others is Blue Reflection 2.
Would be nice, need more magical girl games.

galvenize

Oct 25, 2017
The town music is probably my favourite music atm, especially when the violins kick in.

This is healty for my soul.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally reached the point where I have to build the hideout and feel a bit lost. Can I see anywhere what materials I need for that again? The Story Quest menu recap isn't helping at all here :/

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I was ignoring treasure maps until last night but they actually give you really good stuff. I also got a lot of new recipes for doing quests so sleeping on those is a bad idea too.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally reached the point where I have to build the hideout and feel a bit lost. Can I see anywhere what materials I need for that again? The Story Quest menu recap isn't helping at all here :/

You need to make five each of Building Material, Stone Material and Seaweed Soil. Check the bottom of the list of items you can synthesize, they should all be there if you already have the quest.

If you need to know what materials you need for each, you can select the recipe and look at what you need by looking at the nodes of the recipe, or by hitting the touchpad on PS4 (I think this is mapped to Minus on the Switch) when you've highlighted the recipe in the Synthesis menu. This will bring up a menu showing the item you're trying to make as well as a bunch of ingredients. If you're missing a specific ingredient, you can select it from the menu and see where you can gather it (though it's pretty vague as to where to find things) and what tool you need to use to harvest it, if applicable (i.e. scythe versus axe versus hammer).

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
You need to make five each of Building Material, Stone Material and Seaweed Soil. Check the bottom of the list of items you can synthesize, they should all be there if you already have the quest.

If you need to know what materials you need for each, you can select the recipe and look at what you need by looking at the nodes of the recipe, or by hitting the touchpad on PS4 (I think this is mapped to Minus on the Switch) when you've highlighted the recipe in the Synthesis menu. This will bring up a menu showing the item you're trying to make as well as a bunch of ingredients. If you're missing a specific ingredient, you can select it from the menu and see where you can gather it (though it's pretty vague as to where to find things) and what tool you need to use to harvest it, if applicable (i.e. scythe versus axe versus hammer).

Ah okay thanks for the tips, that helps alot! I knew I had to craft five of each but I didn't know anymore what the other two besides Building Material were as they aren't marked or listed anywhere as Quest Relevant. As much as I love Ryza for the shake-up in all aspects I feel some things have been more intuitive in the past entries.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Ah okay thanks for the tips, that helps alot! I knew I had to craft five of each but I didn't know anymore what the other two besides Building Material were as they aren't marked or listed anywhere as Quest Relevant. As much as I love Ryza for the shake-up in all aspects I feel some things have been more intuitive in the past entries.

I agree, I think that quality-of-life stuff with the UI has taken a back seat this time around. The good news is that Gust is decent at trying to polish these things over time, so hopefully later entries in the trilogy will be better about this.

Though I admit, I'm surprised this info wasn't in the Story menu at all? I find that screen at least has been pretty good about saying what you have to synthesize for quests.

EDIT: Never mind, found the video, and lol it totally doesn't tell you the specific items you need to make in the Story menu, despite having TWO opportunities to do so. Oof.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I think that quality-of-life stuff with the UI has taken a back seat this time around. The good news is that Gust is decent at trying to polish these things over time, so hopefully later entries in the trilogy will be better about this.

Though I admit, I'm surprised this info wasn't in the Story menu at all? I find that screen at least has been pretty good about saying what you have to synthesize for quests.

EDIT: Never mind, found the video, and lol it totally doesn't tell you the specific items you need to make in the Story menu, despite having TWO opportunities to do so. Oof.

Yeah it's no deal-beaker and I know Gust improves with each entry in a duology or trilogy but I was saving and taking a break shortly after I got the quest and when I came back to it I was like "Oh crap I forgot...".

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Oh nice, the castle treasure gives you an extra 2 core charges. Might help late game when stuff takes 2 or 3 charges per item.

Shoon

Dec 25, 2017
I've heard that if you have a recipe and you get defeated in battle you can lose the recipe, locking you out of the platinum, is this true???

Also can anyone confirm if there's some sort of new game plus feature?

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
So, how are y'all decorating your hideout? I like the rural set for the exterior and I use the manor set for the interior along with the cute bed.

I've heard that if you have a recipe and you get defeated in battle you can lose the recipe, locking you out of the platinum, is this true???

Also can anyone confirm if there's some sort of new game plus feature?
Can't say yet for new game plus, but you unlock most recipes while synthesizing items so unless I am missing something I don't see how you could lose those. Sometimes you can purchase books that contain recipes and you definitely lose some of the items you haven't brought back to your hideout each time you are defeated so this might be what this is about.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Iiiiii didn't even know remodeling did anything beyond aesthetics. Noted.
Lol same!! Now I need to know what the other sets do, and what happens when you mix them up.

Haha, yup. Next time you remodel look on the right and it's listed under set effect. Some examples I've seen so far are resort which buffs party when sunny/daytime, manor which increases rare drop rate, pixie boosts stats at night, lakeside which boosts stats when raining, and rural which decreases gardening time. Pixie and Lakeside were from the digital deluxe.

Last edited:

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
I recently unlocked the ability to trade gold coins, and I'm wondering about the frequency on which atelier customization items show up? Does the stock change per day or something, or do I have to buy stuff for it to get replaced with new stuff? I'm just wondering since I don't really want to waste my coins on the stuff I don't care about if I can avoid it.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I recently unlocked the ability to trade gold coins, and I'm wondering about the frequency on which atelier customization items show up? Does the stock change per day or something, or do I have to buy stuff for it to get replaced with new stuff? I'm just wondering since I don't really want to waste my coins on the stuff I don't care about if I can avoid it.

I think they just cycle every day. I wouldn't worry about spending gold coins, if you do the side quests you'll earn a ton. I think I've had like 120 total so far. The items that change the look of your atelier only cost 1 gold coin, too.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am enjoying this game, however is there a way to store your materials you gathered ? I don't see any option to unload my inventory in my room.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm honestly completely surprised how much I like this game as a newcomer.

I wasn't expecting much going in but the visuals, the music, the combat, and the alchemy all far surpassed my expectations. Even though exploration is not super deep with a DQ XI-like map, the game still does a good job of rewarding you for exploring and finding new areas. Like you know the game has a hook on you when you get to a new area or section of the map and all you can think about is what new ingredients you can gather and experimenting on each node with different gathering tools to further your alchemy. Usually you just buy your gear or loot it from enemies in other RPG's which is fine but I really like how you're supposed to make everything yourself here. It does a fantastic job making you feel like a complete novice to a seasoned crafter as the game progresses always adding in new recipe alterations and gadgets to use along the way to keep things fresh.

Definitely looking forward to how Gust follows this up.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I am enjoying this game, however is there a way to store your materials you gathered ? I don't see any option to unload my inventory in my room.

When you go back to the atelier they'll automatically store and ask if you want to check the items. If you don't have the atelier yet Ryzas room will serve the same purpose. If a cutscene happens first that takes you elsewhere you'll need to pop back over to the atelier.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When you go back to the atelier they'll automatically store and ask if you want to check the items. If you don't have the atelier yet Ryzas room will serve the same purpose. If a cutscene happens first that takes you elsewhere you'll need to pop back over to the atelier.

Thanks, I also checked some youtube videos about the alchemy stuff and it makes more sense now.
Only thing I'm unclear about is the Core Charges during battle and the converting stuff for recharging, do you permanently use up the item you have slotted when you convert them or can you keep converting it each battle?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Like you know the game has a hook on you when you get to a new area or section of the map and all you can think about is what new ingredients you can gather and experimenting on each node with different gathering tools to further your alchemy. Usually you just buy your gear or loot it from enemies in other RPG's which is fine but I really like how you're supposed to make everything yourself here. It does a fantastic job making you feel like a complete novice to a seasoned crafter as the game progresses always adding in new recipe alterations and gadgets to use along the way to keep things fresh.

The Atelier experience in a nutshell, really. Welcome to the club!

Thanks, I also checked some youtube videos about the alchemy stuff and it makes more sense now.
Only thing I'm unclear about is the Core Charges during battle and the converting stuff for recharging, do you permanently use up the item you have slotted when you convert them or can you keep converting it each battle?

If you convert an item, you lose access to it for all subsequent battles until you return to your room/atelier, at which point you'll get the item back. I think you might also get the item back if you rest at one of those flower spotlight rest stops, but I've honestly never used one so I have no idea.

You don't permanently lose the item if you convert, which is nice.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Atelier experience in a nutshell, really. Welcome to the club!

If you convert an item, you lose access to it for all subsequent battles until you return to your room/atelier, at which point you'll get the item back. I think you might also get the item back if you rest at one of those flower spotlight rest stops, but I've honestly never used one so I have no idea.

You don't permanently lose the item if you convert, which is nice.

Cool thanks,

Must say this game is a real surprise and am eager to try out the other Atelier games.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any decent resources around for this one yet? Like a Googledoc or anything?

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017

Also, make sure to do the Party Quest for Ryza that gets you Core Cycler. It restores one CC after each battle. Should be easy to make, just requires you to make 10 medicinal items (anything that heals.)