• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout |OT| Adventure, Alchemy, and Summer Memories

J4rOwgG.png

Wq3ZIpU.png

Atelier Ryza (Project A21) is the 21st entry in the long-running Atelier series. Ryza is a completely new entry, not tied to any of the previous sub-series such as Iris, Mana, Arland, Dusk, and Mysterious. Having started development around the same time as the previous entry, Atelier Lulua, Gust has used the extra development time to create grand areas, a brand-new combat system, evolved synthesis system, expanded toolsets for gathering, and myriad quality of life updates that long-time fans will appreciate. This entry is a great place to start for newcomers to the Atelier series, as it requires no previous knowledge of the series, characters, or prior entries.

9y5RA2T.png

UssHkGR.png

odAt20p.png

Atelier Ryza follows the story of Reisalin "Ryza" Stout and her friends as they seek adventure beyond their humble island. A fateful encounter changes their lives as the secrets of the islands past come unraveled. What once seemed a quiet, peaceful, and isolated home soon reveals ancient technology, buried knowledge, and a threat lurking idly within the ruins scattered across the land. The theme of the game is creating memories and experiences as one enters adulthood, leaving their adolescence behind. Over the seasons to come, they'll grow as people and learn more about one another while facing endeavors they'd not thought possible. Atelier Ryza is written by Yashichiro Takahashi, best known for his work on Shakugan no Shana.
cZwjVsq.png

ihUhejR.png

Players can unlock adjacent cells on a synthesis via strategic item placement. Each new cell adds a different effect that will alter the outcome of your completed item. Items are also able to be rebuilt to make them stronger, ensuring they can be used in future synths repeatedly. However, rebuilding items can put restrictions on who can use them. It will be important to decide how your items will be balanced. Should it be stronger but only usable by a single person or would it suffice to be weaker but widely available to everyone? Another layer of strategy comes from balancing what items you'll create, what effects they'll have, and just how they should be used.

8cS4xYh.png

Materials can be found all throughout the world. They can come from chests left by other adventurers, trees, rocks, fields, or even fallen enemies. Ryza will be able to gather materials through her travels by accessing gathering points found throughout the maps or even creating her own to share with other players. Using different tools on the same gathering spot will grant you different materials, so experimentation is encouraged. At the atelier, you'll be able to plant crops and tend to fields, ensuring you'll always have the items you need on hand for that next big synthesis. Additionally, you can send your characters to locations around the island to gather, train, and just create memories and take notes on the area. This will allow you to get a better understanding of the location and may even uncover some secrets.

ZsZrrel.png

Atelier Ryza features a completely new battle system built from the ground up. With this new Real-Time / ATB hybrid, battles are far more frantic and fast paced than ever before. Characters move along the timeline until their turn, which allows them to act - however, enemies also operate on the timeline and will act accordingly whether you're ready or not. The AI will handle characters you're not actively controlling, but a simple tap of the shoulder buttons will swap over to them with ease. Players will be able to set up on-the-fly combos, issue orders to exploit enemy weaknesses, and level up their tactics gauge to boost skills and unlock additional effects to their current abilities. Build AP with combos and use those points to issue devastating blows and combination attacks against your foes.

Cooperation and teamwork is key in Ryza. Allies will trigger states where they issue commands for you to fulfill, such as using certain elements or types of damage or healing yourself. The character who gives the order will unleash a powerful attack, spell, or buff once the conditions are fulfilled. Swapping from Attack to Defense is easier than ever, ensuring your characters tank hits when your enemies charge up and swap to do high burst damage once they're left wide open. Tearing enemies apart will be much more active and involved than previous entries, yet players will still be encouraged to craft tools of destruction that only a mad alchemist would dare concoct.
jeCNHKG.png

THzE2EJ.png

Reisalin "Ryza" Stout
Ryza is a headstrong tomboy who finds herself bored to death of her ordinary life. With a rule in place stating none can leave the island, Ryza had dreams and aspirations of exploring the world and breaking her shackles that bind her to her dull days. Contrary to many prior Atelier protagonists, she's more aggressive and wild while having a good head on her shoulders and a strong sense of justice. At the beginning of the game, she's not even an alchemist. Thus, she'll be learning along with the player just what the power of alchemy can do.

Lent Marslink
Lent's one of Ryza's two childhood friends. In Ryza's village, he's a bit of an outcast and looked down upon by other villagers. He has a strong heart and wants to prove he's worthy of the villagers trust, despite whatever happened in the past. He always fights for whats right and acts as an anchor to Ryza when things get out of hand.

Tao Mongarten
Ryza's other childhood friend - Tao - spends his days shunning social events. Instead, he prefers to be left to his own devices so that he may decipher an ancient book he found long ago. He's considered a bookworm who constantly thirsts for knowledge, but he never forgets his friends Ryza and Lent. While he can be a bit socially awkward, he's a fount of knowledge that often helps his friends when they're stumped. Despite his timid and small frame, he can hold his own in a fight.

Klaudia Valentz
Klaudia is the daughter of a merchant who always travels around. Due to this, she's never really had time to make friends. She stands opposite of Ryza in personality traits, being a more quiet, gentle, and calm girl who can make snap decisions when needed. She's known to be courageous, though her soft personality can often be disarming.

Empel Vollmer
Empel is an alchemist who wanders the world. Upon his body and soul, he's myriad scars from his experiments. He travels the world, searching for dilapidated ruins with an extremely curious eye. Research is his life, thus he spends much of his time experimenting and buried in books and formulas. After an accident with alchemy in the past, he finds himself unable to perform high level experiments any longer. While he may look young, he's rather mature - however, he has a bit of a sweet tooth.

Lila Decyrus
Lila is a half-beast warrior woman of an unknown group. She travels with Empel, acting as his bodyguard. She often seems terse and cold, but that's likely due to her lack of understanding of human emotions. She excels in combat and eventually teaches Ryza and friends how to defend themselves. She's short and to the point on all matters and her own emotions rarely ever bubble up. As she continues to explore the island, it's clear she has a deep interest in the ruins that dot the landscape.
y62uBp9.png

Game Systems Highlight Trailer

Battle System Highlight Trailer

xfJ6D26.png

Q. I've never played these games. What are they like?
A. Atelier games are typically slice-of-life crafting sims with very heavy RPG elements. Some entries lean more into the RPG side than others. Ryza breaks the traditional mold a bit with a stronger focus on adventure.

Q. Didn't one of these just come out?
A. Lulua came out in May. Gust has multiple teams that work on the series. Ryza started development around the same time as the previous game, Lulua. You do not need to play Lulua as its unrelated.

Q. Can I start with this one?
A. Absolutely, this is the start of a new sub-series with no particular ties to any previous entry. There is no giant overarching story between sub-series.

Q. Is there English VA?
A. Unfortunately not. We are unlikely to get dubbed games in the future unless Ryza sells incredibly well in the west. The upside to the lack of dubbing however is that the west gets localized versions faster than before. Lulua saw only a three month delay while Ryza say only a month between Japanese and English versions.

Q. Does this game have a time limit?
There is no time limit, but there is a day/night cycle with particular enemies, items, and gathering points appearing depending on the time. Events may happen in particular months or seasons, so keep an eye on the calendar.

Q. Is there DLC or MTX?
A. There is DLC which can also be purchased in a Season Pass. These have new events/stories for your characters as well as many new costumes. The price is high, so unless you're a super fan you might want to hold off or just buy pieces separately.

riGZKjM.png

Atelier Community Thread
Koei Tecmo Community Thread
RPG Community Thread
Review Thread

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Wonderful OT. This might be the game to finally get me into this series. I've been curious bout it and attracted to it for years.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Atelier of: the adventures of tight gap 😂, anyways planning to get it latter on sadly not on release date but definitely getting it.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Great OT! Looking forward to receiving my LE.
I assume DF is doing a breakdown for this in the coming week?

I'd be interested in seeing the differences.
I'd be (pleasantly) surprised to see them cover the game, it's still pretty niche and they cover only big ones.
Looks like a really good Switch port anyway.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
My CE is on the way, cautiously hyped for this since I haven't really been able to get into the series before, but I liked what I saw of this one and figured I'd give it another shot.

Lockon

Oct 28, 2017
I got and started Trails of Cold Steel 3 last week and still haven't gotten through half the game yet. I ordered LE as well, so it should be here this week but I won't be playing this until I finish CS3. Hopefully I finish CS3 in a week or 2 (unless I go for Plat trophy then it might take longer), then I can start Ryza.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I have bought every Atelier game since Rorona and overall love the series.

I like this doesn't have a time limit (yeah...I'm one of THOSE fans lol)

I don't know how to feel about battles moving away from turn based.

Synthesis though - what in the world?! Is there no grid anymore !? The pic in the OT looks like a skill tree sorta thing and if that's what it is, I really don't know if I like that

are there any reviews yet? I'm super conflicted on whether to buy this....looks like pretty much the entire game systems have changed!

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Been looking into this a lot but I can't find any sufficient info: How good is the initial Dash Item in the game? I haven't been able to find if it's faster than the Run option I've seen in some videos or if that IS the run option.

Waiting til tomorrow before I grab it, but I'll be getting it on PC to round out my major game purchases for the year.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Nice work!

Wish they did give it English VA too, but I like these so I'm still picking up the LE even though I'll still be in the middle of some other games like Cold Steel 3 first.

Svearik

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta
Pre-loaded on my Switch - never played one of these and going in with an open mind. Hopefully it isn't too cringey!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sooo conflicted about this game, I bought every game since Rorona on PS3/PS4 aside from the last three, Firis, Lydie & Suelle and Lulua because I still have to catch up technically but I still want to get Ryza. The thing is I don't know what system to get it on, because I'm a physical kind of person but in this case I don't know, I'll list my pros and cons, maybe someone can help me out then:

PS4:

+ Have the rest of the series on Playstation already
+ RemotePlay to my Vita (RemotePlay / handhelds help me tremendously enjoying these games)
+ Physical box
- Just the disc inside the box
- Possibly not the best performance
- My PS4 Pro is a noisy piece of hardware

Switch:

+ Full portability and still have the option to play on a bigger screen
+ Switch cases and cartridges tend to look nicer than PS4 ones even without anything else inside
- Likely the worst looking and performing of all available choices

PC:

+ Cheapest price
+ Can RemotePlay to my Vita and any other device
+ Best visuals and performance
+ Potential mods
+ Don't have to wait till Friday for release
- No physical item at all

My brain says PC with a possible double-dip in a few months/years but I don't know, doesn't help that the boxart is so pretty too... I wish it had a physical PC release :/

And lovely OT by the way, thanks! :D

Oh also I'm super bummed about no animated opening :(

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm sooo conflicted about this game, I bought every game since Rorona on PS3/PS4 aside from the last three, Firis, Lydie & Suelle and Lulua because I still have to catch up technically but I still want to get Ryza. The thing is I don't know what system to get it on, because I'm a physical kind of person but in this case I don't know, I'll list my pros and cons, maybe someone can help me out then:

PS4:

+ RemotePlay to my Vita (RemotePlay / handhelds help me tremendously enjoying these games)
+ Physical box

Switch:

+ Switch cases and cartridges tend to look nicer than PS4 ones even without anything else inside

PC:

+ Cheapest price
+ Potential mods

My brain says PC with a possible double-dip in a few months/years but I don't know, doesn't help that the boxart is so pretty too... I wish it had a physical PC release :/

From what I've seen in various gameplay videos (well, outside of PC), both Switch and PS4 seem to have remarkably good performance. Looks like 30 fps, but stable across the board. Switch is mostly cut back in terms of lighting/shadows and grass, but similar asset and texture quality.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen in various gameplay videos (well, outside of PC), both Switch and PS4 seem to have remarkably good performance. Looks like 30 fps, but stable across the board. Switch is mostly cut back in terms of lighting/shadows and grass, but similar asset and texture quality.

I see, that's reassuring atleast. How have Koei's recent PC ports been? I heard they are way better nowadays and not cut-back anymore.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

PS4:

+ Physical box

Switch:

PC:

+ Cheapest price
+ Potential mods

It's hard to go wrong with PS4; it's my default platform, which means a lot coming from me because normally I try to play as much stuff on PC as possible. Atelier Firis is the one time I bought on PC first, and it was not a very good PC port. I got through the whole game fine, it just had graphics issues (for example, the self-shadowing on people's faces was striped, which was really distracting and annoying). I went back to PS4 for Lydie & Suelle and haven't really looked back. I even recently went back and picked up a copy of Firis PS4 because like you, I've had the whole series on Playstation and felt like I had a hole in the collection that needed filling.

That said, I think K-T/Gust are doing better these days--I haven't played much of the Arland DX ports yet but they seem okay, and the footage posted above of Ryza PC looks really clean and sharp.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to be the first modern Atelier I pass on, mostly due to the battle system. Plus I just picked up Lulua, and that's more the pace I like.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving the look of this one!... a little scared about the real time battle and definitely not happy only the main character is controlled. Regardless, got the LE purchased!

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Performance seems good on Switch and PC, albeit a bit barebones in terms of options on the latter. PS4 is typically fine and the streams I've seen look solid.

PS4:

+ Physical box

Switch:

PC:

+ Cheapest price
+ Potential mods

There's only one option.
buy them all

Checking in! Let's see if this thread actually makes it to double-digit pages!

This is the one! Maybe...!

Synthesis though - what in the world?! Is there no grid anymore !? The pic in the OT looks like a skill tree sorta thing and if that's what it is, I really don't know if I like that

The grid was gone in Lulua as well. This one seems an evolution of Lulua and adds in cells that can add other effects based on the item in that cell. I haven't gotten my hands on it yet so I'm just going off the info available and streams. Perhaps watching one of the streams above may help, but its best put into practice.

are there any reviews yet? I'm super conflicted on whether to buy this....looks like pretty much the entire game systems have changed!

Mazi put up a review thread.

There's a pretty large gap between Metacritic and Open Critic due to how scores are weighted and combined on MC.

Loving the look of this one!... a little scared about the real time battle and definitely not happy only the main character is controlled. Regardless, got the LE purchased!

You can change at any time with the shoulder buttons and the AI picks up for who you're not controlling.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Thanks for all those impressions and details. I've been wondering and hoping if the Switch version would be of a good enough quality, so it's refreshing to hear that it seems to be.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Switch version meant to look good even in handheld, will be my 1st Atelier game you know what, kinda looking forward to it as well

Gamingbolt gave it an 8/10

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
The good reviews is a really pleasant surprise as usually the games are a bit lower scoring than this. I'd like to try to get this sooner than later for Switch, knowing it runs well on that.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some PC footage, it looks barebones with options, but otherwise good.

Thanks for this, yeah it looks great! I don't mind barebones options aslong as it's on par or better than the PS4 version and not like the mess the early "Warriors" PC ports were which were based on the PS3 versions instead of the PS4 versions. I know Ryza has no PS3 version to mess this one up of course but I got a bit cautious.

It's hard to go wrong with PS4; it's my default platform, which means a lot coming from me because normally I try to play as much stuff on PC as possible. Atelier Firis is the one time I bought on PC first, and it was not a very good PC port. I got through the whole game fine, it just had graphics issues (for example, the self-shadowing on people's faces was striped, which was really distracting and annoying). I went back to PS4 for Lydie & Suelle and haven't really looked back. I even recently went back and picked up a copy of Firis PS4 because like you, I've had the whole series on Playstation and felt like I had a hole in the collection that needed filling.

That said, I think K-T/Gust are doing better these days--I haven't played much of the Arland DX ports yet but they seem okay, and the footage posted above of Ryza PC looks really clean and sharp.

Hmm I see, thanks for the opinion, is there any info yet if the PC version is missing anything? The footage above looks super clean yeah and an added benefit for me would be, if it isn't locked to 60fps I could enjoy it at high refresh-rates too since I have 144hz monitor. Honestly having slept a night over it I think I'm locked on PC first with a potential Switch double-dip if I really like it. PS4 used to be the safe option for me too but that was before 99% of games I usually buy on PS4 made it to PC suddenly making me question why I even own a PS4 aside from exclusives of course. And I'm afraid that due to Ryza being graphically better than ever it will actually kick my Pro into Jet Engine mode which sucks most enjoyment I have playing on it out straight away. I think my head my be the right decision here and not my collectors-heart :(

Performance seems good on Switch and PC, albeit a bit barebones in terms of options on the latter. PS4 is typically fine and the streams I've seen look solid.

There's only one option.
buy them all

This is the one! Maybe...!

The grid was gone in Lulua as well. This one seems an evolution of Lulua and adds in cells that can add other effects based on the item in that cell. I haven't gotten my hands on it yet so I'm just going off the info available and streams. Perhaps watching one of the streams above may help, but its best put into practice.

Mazi put up a review thread.

There's a pretty large gap between Metacritic and Open Critic due to how scores are weighted and combined on MC.

You can change at any time with the shoulder buttons and the AI picks up for who you're not controlling.

I guess I could just do that yeah! Can you PM me your billing-address please? :P

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017

That would be really cool and pretty interesting. Make the cast age as usual, but don't switch the protagonists all the time.

Sticking with her throughout the trilogy(?) would be pretty nice. We've generally seen previous protagonists come back but it'd be a first to have one protagonist all the way through.

Good OT op. Does anyone know an approximate play-time of this game?

20-30 hrs is the number I've seen, which I'm happy with after spending 55 hours on Lydie & Suelle and 50+ on Lulua.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Sticking with her throughout the trilogy(?) would be pretty nice. We've generally seen previous protagonists come back but it'd be a first to have one protagonist all the way through.

20-30 hrs is the number I've seen, which I'm happy with after spending 55 hours on Lydie & Suelle and 50+ on Lulua.

That sounds like a decent amount. Well 30 does hmm. This has a strong chance of being my next game after Cold Steel

Oct 25, 2017
I would love if they keep the same protagonist for several games.

I got this on GMG so I'm just waiting for my code. I'm also very happy to hear that this game isn't crazy long, I need more 20-30 hour JRPGs in my life and less crazy long ones. I already play enough of those.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Very excited for this, it looks and sounds great. Lulua was good but it wasn't really the shot in the arm the series needed, so hopefully this is the game.