• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
The tutorial is unclear on this, but I think all you have to do is tap the button again before Ryza's attack animation hits the target. I've taken to just double-tapping the button, and that seems to cause characters to attack twice properly. Similarly for Tactics Level 3, triple-tap seems to work. (I have no idea what I would do if I got up to, say, Tactics Level 5, or if that even exists.)

I have to double-check this but I think you can confirm you did this right before the attack lands by looking at the attack button prompt to see if it's greyed out or not. If it's not, keep tapping to queue up extra attacks.
Awesome, thank you!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Lack of PC T&A physics has vindicated my Switch purchase.

(not really, though the odd cloth physics on PC are offputting)

Lock frame rate to 30fps and youll get the physics.
The same thing happened with Warriors Orochi 4, for some reason at screen refresh rate the physics would bork.

For some reason people with 144/120HZ screens can lock to 60 and still get correct physics.
People with 60Hz screens can lock to 30 to get physics.

On Nvidia you can use the control panel to lock at half refresh.
Or use RTSS to lock to 30 fps.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Honestly, I just mash the circle button and haven't missed a double/triple hit yet. It seems to be extremely forgiving on timing unlike say Utawarerumono's chain hits.

nadozza

Oct 27, 2017
BC, Canada
Just started Ryza on Switch last night, I'm glad to see that Gust has really figured out how to optimize for it.

So far I'm liking it, although after years of playing Atelier I'm not sure how to feel about the new battle system although it sounds like it gets better later on.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Played for an hour last night so I don't have a super solid opinion on the game as yet but wow is this game pretty. I spent a decent amount of my time walking around the town just looking at the environment.
I have a feeling that's what I'm going to do at the beginning too lol, it looks great in the footage, looking forward to seeing it directly on my oled once it gets here and I get to it.

My tracking finally started moving yesterday too.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing yesterday and just went back to town after exploring the tutorial dungeon/forest

So far I am loving every second of the game and I do consider that it has the potential to beat my previous fave game in the series (Atelier Escha and Logy) because not only it looks incredible but also has a much better camera direction during convos, the combat being so action oriented that it feels almost like a turn based ARPG and I haven't even started the Alchemy tutorial.

Playing on handheld mode on Switch too and I have to say it looks and run really well so far!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Am I missing something, an early quest to get blue ore from a cave and it seems you have to fight a monster but it's absolutely destroying my party.. lol

edit: nevermind, fought the wrong monster

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Good news! I learned how to change the XBOX icons to PS4 icons directly in the game files without SpecialK as an injector and I will be easily be able to make a Switch Pro Controller mod too!

dOUnzYk.png

The bad news is, the installation will be a bit convoluted and messy.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The game actually looks pretty great on Switch. Seems to be native 720/1080? Or close to it. Aliasing isn't great, but the overall image quality is quite good. Performance is pretty much locked to 30 as well.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first one, game is super comfy.

I'm not sure I know what I'm doing with synthesis yet and I really was not expecting this battle system but enjoying it nevertheless.

Seems a bit too jaggy for me on the tv (switch) and I'm not sure about the shading/dithering/flickering that is going on at times. On handheld though it looks great, and that is where I'll spend most of my time with it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still extremely early in the game, but is it just me or is Ryza missing a number of quality-of-life improvements from previous games? I figured moving all the quick location switch menus to the noticeboards in the world was an intentional choice (though kind of unfortunate--it really shouldn't take two scene transitions before I can go anywhere from Ryza's room!), but now I realize that that change also makes it impossible to know whether areas have new character events for you unless you visit each one, and the island alone has seven? hub areas. The encyclopedia also seems kind of barebones compared to previous games--like, if I look up an ingredient, I can still see what areas I can collect that ingredient from, but I don't think I can then jump to the encyclopedia entry for that area to see what else I can get there.

Maybe all this stuff "unlocks" later or something?

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still extremely early in the game, but is it just me or is Ryza missing a number of quality-of-life improvements from previous games? I figured moving all the quick location switch menus to the noticeboards in the world was an intentional choice (though kind of unfortunate--it really shouldn't take two scene transitions before I can go anywhere from Ryza's room!), but now I realize that that change also makes it impossible to know whether areas have new character events for you unless you visit each one, and the island alone has seven? hub areas. The encyclopedia also seems kind of barebones compared to previous games--like, if I look up an ingredient, I can still see what areas I can collect that ingredient from, but I don't think I can then jump to the encyclopedia entry for that area to see what else I can get there.

Maybe all this stuff "unlocks" later or something?

A friend who is about a day ahead of me said the fast travel system upgrades. I'll have to ask about the encyclopedia.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
How do I "envision recipe" to make delicious baits? Wasted 2 hours, Google doesn't help, people ask this question and don't get the answer lol

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
More good modding news, I should be able to make Switch and PS4 icon mods easily for all languages now and installation shouldn't be as messy thanks to new tools someone made just two days ago! :D

More bad news for me, it will be somewhat tedious to do for me :P Gust has five data-files for the game, one common shared between all languages and one for each language. For whatever reason the controller icon files are inside the font-file for the respective language so I have to redo the process for each language. I know realistically the demand for Chinese and Japanese versions of my mod will be very small but I'm a perfectionist in these things. Couldn't Gust just split the controller icons from the font and put them into the language shared resource? :P

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Made it a few hours in and so far I'm enjoying it. Battles are pretty fun and I like how fast they move a lot. The game basically feels like a single-player mmo to me, which I'm okay with.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Switch Pro Controller icons coming right up! :)

hQGZpY2.png

I decided that I'll release the English version of both icon-sets first and then add Japanese and Chinese later on. One issue I won't resolve is the category selectors still saying LB and RB since I think these are written right in the scripts of the menus instead of being an image or texture and changing that isn't feasible for the scope of my mod.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
This is my first real dive into the Atelier series. I picked up Lydie & Suelle but haven't put more than an hour into it. Seeing how much fan support this game has made me pick up Ryza and I'm excited to have another go at this series.

Drakey

Apr 19, 2019
What's up with the enemy diversity?
I'm 10 hours in and liking the game so far, but the enemies are really bothering me.
5 different archetypes, each with several different colors.
Already fought 5 different slimes...

Oh cool new area, want some new interesting enemies? No here is a recolor of the same enemy you have been fighting in the last area.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got screens of the Switch version? How does it hold up in person?
No screens, but it feels good to me. As somebody who has no experience with Atelier games before this one, I will say that I was confused at the people calling this game beautiful though. The characters look nice and the grand landscape has some nice looking moments, but things are pretty blurry/ugly close up. The games style saves it and makes it something that I do enjoy looking at, but I don't think I'd say it's a great looking game. Not sure how much of that is Switch vs just the game itself.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Okay for anyone waiting for the icon-mods, I bear bad news :(

I will be able to release Switch and PS4 mods for the general UI but upon further play-testing I realized that this doesn't cover the icons in battle. So I looked around more and found out a few things. First, the "RB" and "LB" icons are actually textures but every single menu-screen where they appear is a separate texture set which increases the work-load quite a bit if I want to cover two controllers across four languages. And the major roadblock I hit is, neither of the tools I have seem to be able to properly unpack the battle textures.

The old tool can apparently unpack some of them but not all and the new tool straight up says "Unsupported g1t version" so unless someone with experience in these things is willing to help me out I'm going to shelf the native texture-replacement mod. I will however try to make a Switch version of the Special K variant of the mod.

I don't like Special K for Ryza as it seems to have multiple issues with it, mainly the game improperly launching or not launching at all and the latest versions of Special K seem to be some kind of private beta :/

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
How do I "envision recipe" to make delicious baits? Wasted 2 hours, Google doesn't help, people ask this question and don't get the answer lol

I believe all that means is unlocking that specific circle that appears locked out when you synthesize the base ingredient. Once you do you unlock that recipe and a new synthesize tree for it.

Nov 17, 2017
No screens, but it feels good to me. As somebody who has no experience with Atelier games before this one, I will say that I was confused at the people calling this game beautiful though. The characters look nice and the grand landscape has some nice looking moments, but things are pretty blurry/ugly close up. The games style saves it and makes it something that I do enjoy looking at, but I don't think I'd say it's a great looking game. Not sure how much of that is Switch vs just the game itself.
That's why I'm saying the game looks pretty at least. I think it looks great, I haven't really looked at stuff up close or at least haven't noticed it. I'm playing on the PS4, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I'm saying the game looks pretty at least. I think it looks great, I haven't really looked at stuff up close or at least haven't noticed it. I'm playing on the PS4, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
The grass and textures on rocks/the general environment are super blurry and ugly. I don't have a screenshot to show it off but it definitely looks rough texture-wise in some areas.

Nov 17, 2017
The grass and textures on rocks/the general environment are super blurry and ugly. I don't have a screenshot to show it off but it definitely looks rough texture-wise in some areas.
I don't doubt you. I was just saying the art style and overall look is really pretty and so I haven't really noticed that. There are games that have flaws in the textures when you look at them up close that I still think are really great looking overall.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know where I can find seeds? Im assuming I have access to them since Im able to have the quest asking for them.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
If I'm enjoying this game, are the other Atelier games on Switch worth it or is Ryza so different it would be tough to go back to older games?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm enjoying this game, are the other Atelier games on Switch worth it or is Ryza so different it would be tough to go back to older games?
I'm about three hours in and so far it's pretty typical Atelier with worse than usual designs and combat (and weird QOL, but that probably opens up), so if anything, I think you'd have a better time with older games. The Dusk trilogy is getting a Switch release soonish, and Escha and Logy is an absolutely fab JRPG:

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree on the worse combat part, it's phenomenal and refreshing. I'd absolutely agree on tackling Dusk next in January though. Lovely games.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
UGHHH THIS LOOKS SO GOOD

ppl are telling me to wait til jan for the trilogy first to finally dive into this series but i don't know if i can wait that longggg

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
UGHHH THIS LOOKS SO GOOD

ppl are telling me to wait til jan for the trilogy first to finally dive into this series but i don't know if i can wait that longggg

Honestly, Ryza seems like a fine place to jump in, as it's the start of its own new trilogy and has zero ties to any other game. The Dusk trilogy (the one releasing in January) is definitely my favourite trilogy, but you may want to try Ryza first just to see if you like the formula before you commit to three more games.

tl;dr do what feels right to you!

nadozza

Oct 27, 2017
BC, Canada
UGHHH THIS LOOKS SO GOOD

As Chrominance said, it's not tied to any previous games and is its own thing with changed battle and synth mechanics, Ryza is as good a time as any for a new player to start!

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Honestly, Ryza seems like a fine place to jump in, as it's the start of its own new trilogy and has zero ties to any other game. The Dusk trilogy (the one releasing in January) is definitely my favourite trilogy, but you may want to try Ryza first just to see if you like the formula before you commit to three more games.

tl;dr do what feels right to you!
As Chrominance said, it's not tied to any previous games and is its own thing with changed battle and synth mechanics, Ryza is as good a time as any for a new player to start!
Aaaaaa you've convinced me!! I'm gonna get ryza :):):):) thanks!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm disappointed fishing doesn't have a small mini-game tied to it. lol

I'm about three hours in and so far it's pretty typical Atelier with worse than usual designs and combat (and weird QOL, but that probably opens up), so if anything, I think you'd have a better time with older games. The Dusk trilogy is getting a Switch release soonish, and Escha and Logy is an absolutely fab JRPG:

Cool, I didn't know they were porting more games to the Switch. I'll check the trilogy out come January.

Yeah, one of the great things about the series.

Yeah, it's a pretty chill game. Nice visuals, relaxing music, no generic "save the world" JRPG storyline, and no time limit so you feel you don't have to rush anything. The time limit thing is the only thing I worry about if I go back and play some of the older games. Not sure I would like that.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
They're less time limits and more deadlines. E.g. create 30 bombs in 3 months.

Each action you do takes time, such as gathering, battling, crafting, viewing scenes, etc. The older ones have time management but they're quite fair in how much time they give you to create said tasks. Later games are lighter on it with larger windows for your main task (such as finding someone) and smaller windows for small jobs (such as a crafting or slaying quest.)

I think you'll be fine with older entries!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I bought this after not loving Ryza thigh-gap situation plus all the changes sounded like negatives to me. But I have bought all the console Atelier games so I had to try it for myself.

At 15 hours played, I am loving it!
The new battle system is fresh, and layered, and just fun. I don't miss the strict turn based after seeing this in action.
Graphics are the best yet and it's generally a very pleasant looking game. It feels "comfy" which is the highest compliment I can pay the Atelier games as that's what I love about them.
The music is as good as usual or even better. The series generally has A+ OSTs and this one is no different
Alchemy is reeeeeally different, ditching the grid Tetris thing for a node-based system where you unlock nodes that add things like trait slots, quality, new effects, or even transform something into a whole new item. After messing around with it over a dozen hours, I can happily report that they have once again created a whole new alchemy system while at the same time making it deep enough and FUN :)

I really am shocked at my level of love for this game. This is the fresh injection the series has desperately needed for some time.
Oh and you get a Hideout as a base this time around that you can apparently decorate and customize the inside and outside and add new facilities as the game goes on, so you have the most personalized "base" yet.

The only negative is the character designs. I love a lot of the clothes, and faces/hair etc. but the pandering in this game is at least as much as previous games if not more. I know they probably do this for sales, but for me, the game would be better if all of that was way toned down.

If you have played Atelier before and love it, I easily, heavily recommend Atelier Ryza.
If you are new to the series but interested in it, this is a GREAT starting place.
The series is my ultimate comfort food and they have overhauled almost every aspect of the series here, and done it with great success. I hope sales of this are great and we continue to get new games. Maybe one day we can even get English VA back in the game =)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what is going on with synthesis but I set it to auto nice quality and hear lots of good noises and flashy lights so good things must be happening :P