• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
Finally was able to customize the atelier somewhat. Looks like I need some new tools and materials to make more atelier parts though so I've officially sidelined the plot haha. In other news...

Another great track. This music along with the area it plays in gives me Xenoblade vibes for some reason. I've been a big fan of the soundtrack so far.

Though now I have another problem I need to synthesize my way out of: you can't assign three frontline party members at once, which means right now I can't have do some of the party quests without dropping Ryza from my team.
Haha yeah it took me awhile to figure that one out.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I've found this game has the same issue as the other recent games, which is that there really aren't a lot of required boss battles. I like losing to a boss and then making my gear and items better so I can beat it, but that only happened a few times, the two dragons and the final boss. The rest of the game you don't really need to be getting better.

Haven't gotten to endgame yet, but Atelier games are usually decent about throwing in a bunch of post-game bosses. I've definitely run into at least one in Ryza that murders me, though I think that's just because I've been slacking on making good gear for everyone besides Ryza. There's an obvious second one that I haven't touched, either. Neither are dragons or (what I think is probably) the final boss.

There's one at the top of the volcano that's 15k HP and loves to debuff you into the dirt. The other one I can think of is at the top of the tower, if you explore the other rooms.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah post-game is where the big hard boss fights are in Atelier. You can pretty much count boss fights in the main story on one hand. That said, I've been playing on hard and I feel I've been able to get a bit more out of the battle system. A particular boss proved to be quite a wall though...

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Those optional bosses are hard as hell. Completely destroyed my party even on normal.

Of course you'll find YouTube videos of people beating them with Ryza solo on charismatic difficulty. I watched one and I'll just say items can be devastating. lol

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I don't like about the current battle system is that it feels like it devalues items somewhat, because usage feels so restricted compared to previous games. In any given battle you might be able to use items three or four times max before you're out of CC and have to restore by converting an item, and in battle you can only convert the items on active party members so your options are limited. Plus converting an item takes so long that it's basically half a turn used up, and I'm pretty sure you can be interrupted by enemies while holding down the convert button. As a result, I almost never use items anymore, and haven't spent a lot of time trying to make bigger and better bombs because it always feels more valuable to just make better gear.

Does anyone else feel this way, or have I just not picked up on a good workflow for this yet?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So did I miss some recipes or when can I start to make decent armor? I'm not able to craft a single armor yet.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
37.5 hours later, I've finished the main story. Post-game time!

I don't really know how to feel about this one. On the one hand, Ryza represents a pretty big overhaul of the franchise's gameplay, and in a lot of ways change is a welcome thing. The story, while straightforward, is decently executed, and you get closer to the characters here than in most Atelier games. They feel more human, with more convincing motivations and nuanced characterization than usual, even from NPCs. As a result, Kurken Island feels more like a real place than any prior Atelier setting I've played. And while no one's ever going to mistake Ryza for a triple-A game, the graphics do look pretty good (though shadowing on faces continues to be a weak spot for the franchise).

On the other hand, Ryza also feels like the first draft of a new Atelier experience, a necessary stepping stone to the really good Atelier game that's hopefully in our future. There are too many new systems, and it's easy to get through the whole game without really interacting with all of them. Atelier customization turns out to be even less consequential than it was in Firis, with effects too vague to notice. The gathering synthesizer is too fiddly and competes with too many other gem sinks to feel worth the trouble. Money has never felt more pointless than in Ryza, especially since there are so few recipe books you buy from normal vendors. Speaking of pointless, why do exploration logs exist? Do they even grant rewards of any kind?

Bizarrely, in other ways, the game feels pared down. Too much of the story feels like strings of cutscenes connected by fast travel jumps, making it feel like one of the shortest Atelier games in recent memory (though it's really about the same length as OG Rorona and Totori). There are no branching endings of any sort, as far as I can tell, which means no conditions you need to fulfill or character endings to see. Combat feels pretty good once you figure out the rhythm, but feels like it wants you to rely on your weapons and gear instead of items. This has the perverse effect of making alchemy seem less important, and I didn't end up making a lot of items.

Even making weapons and armor feels weirdly underwhelming this time around, mostly because the ability to combine traits has disappeared. Instead, you stack the various Stat Charge traits until you've maxed out their levels, and call it a day. That said, I suspect at least some of the old complexity has just migrated over to the forge, rather than disappearing entirely; you can apply new effects to weapons as well as raising their stats via the forge. I'll have to do some experimenting with it in post-game, but so far the effects I've been able to attach seem underwhelming. Also, you can only forge weapons, not armor.

And then there are the various UI issues, which are nothing new to Atelier games but because so many systems have changed in Ryza, there's even less polish than usual. The encyclopedia has taken a step or two back in Ryza; finding out which enemies drop what ingredients is more obscure and less informative at a glance now. Developing new recipes by making old ones is an inspired twist on the Mysterious trilogy's recipe tasks concept, but an unfortunate side effect is it's harder to know when there's a recipe you just haven't discovered yet, versus an ingredient you haven't found in the world. Similarly, the idea of having multiple collection tools is neat and adds new layers of discovery to areas you've been to before, but it also means it's harder than ever to know exactly what you can find in an area and from what types of gathering points.

The good news is that none of these problems are dealbreakers, and all seem like things that can be solved with some TLC in the next installment. Ryza definitely feels better than Firis, the last time the series got a little experimental, and I think there's a good foundation here that just needs some tweaks to really shine. I'm still not sure if I like it more than Lulua--weirdly, despite coming out just a few months ago, Lulua feels like a very different game than Ryza and I find myself wishing for some kind of hybrid of the two. Looking at the trophy list, it looks like nothing is particularly difficult to do if the completion percentages are any indication, but I'm less enthused about trying to platinum Ryza than I was Lulua. But Lulua's story is clearly worse than Ryza's, so that counts for a lot.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I don't like about the current battle system is that it feels like it devalues items somewhat, because usage feels so restricted compared to previous games. In any given battle you might be able to use items three or four times max before you're out of CC and have to restore by converting an item, and in battle you can only convert the items on active party members so your options are limited. Plus converting an item takes so long that it's basically half a turn used up, and I'm pretty sure you can be interrupted by enemies while holding down the convert button. As a result, I almost never use items anymore, and haven't spent a lot of time trying to make bigger and better bombs because it always feels more valuable to just make better gear.

Does anyone else feel this way, or have I just not picked up on a good workflow for this yet?
That's 1000% my problem. It takes the thing that sets the series apart (making and using items) and de-emphasises it. I'm finishing up the trophy list right now, and would put the game overall at maybe my 2nd or 3rd least liked of the modern games (Rorona onwards - ahead of Totori, and maybe ahead of Shallie (less of a slog than that, but has a worse cast)).

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first Atelier game, and I'm loving it. It's so light hearted and relaxing...I don't know if I could go back and play the other games with the whole time limit shit that I hate so much.

I'm not far enough in still to recognize the item debacle folks are talking about, but is it something that could be fixed in future Ryza titles?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first Atelier game, and I'm loving it. It's so light hearted and relaxing...I don't know if I could go back and play the other games with the whole time limit shit that I hate so much.

I'm not far enough in still to recognize the item debacle folks are talking about, but is it something that could be fixed in future Ryza titles?

Oh, for sure. They could return to the previous system, where every time you make an item it has a limited number of uses, but otherwise places no restrictions on how often you can use items. Usually with this system, the game introduces a mechanic that grants you effectively unlimited uses for an ongoing cost about halfway through the game, so it's not as limiting as it sounds initially. Or they could keep the current system but tweak a few things, like making it easier to recover/expand your CC limit (new alchemy traits applied to your equipment, for example) or just speeding up the conversion process. Or possibly even giving characters skills that let you refill your CC partially, in effect trading AP for CC. You could also bring back some mechanics that would let you tweak CC use--for example, in previous games you have traits that would increase the number of uses on an item, or alternatively make the item single-use only but make it massively powerful in exchange.

Debacle is probably the wrong term; it's not a disaster by any means. Like I said, it feels like a first draft attempt; I fully expect Gust will iterate and tweak and come up with something different and probably better next time around. There are plenty of options and nothing about the current system feels like an obvious dead end to me. Besides which, we've been here before; Ayesha is my favourite Atelier game, but Escha & Logy made tweaks to Ayesha's battle and alchemy systems that ultimately were for the better. And of course there's Totori, which at the time was a massive improvement over Rorona and basically set the template for the Arland series. (The original Rorona didn't even have MP; all your battle skills basically hurt your HP gauge. Crazy!)

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I still can't believe the upcoming season pass is going to be $70. lol

I'll probably end up getting the added storylines but that's about it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Looking through the Atelier subreddit, and wow there's a bunch of mechanic quirks I didn't know about (and still need to confirm in some cases), like:
  • the charge attacks from enemies usually start charging when they hit 50% health
  • in battle, you can only trigger Extra Orders if an enemy is charging a special attack (I couldn't figure out why the Extra Orders would only appear sometimes upon triggering the Quick Action)
  • any stat increases you get from ingots and cloth apparently only apply during the initial synthesis, not in rebuild (have to double-check this, this seems weird to me)

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, that stat one should be tested. That seems off but I haven't paid enough attention to confirm.

Nov 17, 2017
I just got to a boss fight with
the second summoned dragon
and I love how casual the party was about it. I was actually caught off guard when the fight started. Especially consider how much of a big deal they made out of the first one haha

Looking through the Atelier subreddit, and wow there's a bunch of mechanic quirks I didn't know about (and still need to confirm in some cases), like:
  • the charge attacks from enemies usually start charging when they hit 50% health
  • in battle, you can only trigger Extra Orders if an enemy is charging a special attack (I couldn't figure out why the Extra Orders would only appear sometimes upon triggering the Quick Action)
  • any stat increases you get from ingots and cloth apparently only apply during the initial synthesis, not in rebuild (have to double-check this, this seems weird to me)
Oh wow, I'm surprised you went through the game not knowing that second one. It has saved me countless times.

The Quick Action to Extra Orders system really reminds me of Xenoblade 1 and the visions of fatal enemy attacks you'd have to attempt to stop. There's a great sense of tension when you see the enemy charging their super attack which could wipe out your party and pulling off a last minute save by breaking them just before they would have attacked. I really like it.

I don't think I have that recipe yet. How far into the story does that happen?
Couldn't remember offhand, but gamefaqs days you'll need materials from Liese Valley, so around there. The actual recipe is an evolution from Sorcery Rose. Until then, you kind of just have to live with it.
I had the knapsack earlier than that. The recipe is an evolution from Bestial Air and you need to Alchemy Paint to change the Bestial Air into it. I'm forgetting how to make Alchemy Paint though but I definitely wasn't at that valley yet when I did. I was just trying to synthesize as many new things as I could.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I just got to a boss fight with
the second summoned dragon
and I love how casual the party was about it. I was actually caught off guard when the fight started. Especially consider how much of a big deal they made out of the first one haha

Oh wow, I'm surprised you went through the game not knowing that second one. It has saved me countless times.

The Quick Action to Extra Orders system really reminds me of Xenoblade 1 and the visions of fatal enemy attacks you'd have to attempt to stop. There's a great sense of tension when you see the enemy charging their super attack which could wipe out your party and pulling off a last minute save by breaking them just before they would have attacked. I really like it.

I had the knapsack earlier than that. The recipe is an evolution from Bestial Air and you need to Alchemy Paint to change the Bestial Air into it. I'm forgetting how to make Alchemy Paint though but I definitely wasn't at that valley yet when I did. I was just trying to synthesize as many new things as I could.

That's what I get for assuming some rando on gamefaqs has done their due diligence, heh. Alchemy Paint requires Rainbow Grapes, which are honestly kind of a pain in the ass because I only know of one non-synthesizer place to get them, and because it's right next door to Ryza's house the quality is low. But at least they're easy to collect, I suppose.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Hi, I hope it's okay to ask here, but what should I consider if I'm choosing between this or Lulua? I'm a longtime fan who's not sick of the formula but also wouldn't mind deviations from it, if that helps.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
Does anyone know if extra character events are marked on the map at all? Have gotten random scenes here and there just wandering into areas in between chapters but I'm really hoping I won't have to run through the entire town each chapter to see these extra scenes.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I hope it's okay to ask here, but what should I consider if I'm choosing between this or Lulua? I'm a longtime fan who's not sick of the formula but also wouldn't mind deviations from it, if that helps.

I don't think there's a wrong way to go about this and I would get both eventually. Just keep in mind that if you go Ryza first the step-up in production-quality might make Lulua feel a bit off if you do it second.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if extra character events are marked on the map at all? Have gotten random scenes here and there just wandering into areas in between chapters but I'm really hoping I won't have to run through the entire town each chapter to see these extra scenes.

Not really, no. FWIW there don't seem to be a lot of these kinds of scenes in the game, from what I can tell (either that or they're all missable, which seems very much against the general philosophy the games have adhered to as of late).

Lulua is Arland IV, basically. If you liked the Arland series a lot and wanted to hang out with all those characters again, that's the one to get. Generally it's much more similar in structure to previous games, in that there are multiple endings, character friendship events, etc. A lot of its mechanics are similar to the Mysterious trilogy as well, so expect things like unlocking recipes by performing various tasks (synthesizing items at a certain quality, discovering new areas and ingredients, reaching certain battle milestones, etc.). It's also much goofier and light-hearted in tone.

Ryza is a fresh start, with major overhauls of nearly every gameplay system. Battles are now real-time instead of turn-based, alchemy is pretty different from earlier titles as well. It's more streamlined in a lot of ways: no character friendship, no multiple endings, not really a lot of optional content in general actually. In exchange, the story elements are beefed up. The small requests you used to do in previous games have been replaced by more elaborate side stories with recurring characters. In-engine cutscenes are more prevalent and better animated/shot. The tone is still light-hearted but much less goofy (you don't get the Atelier trademark "wacky music" skits where someone does something obvious dumb/comedic/out of character, for example). And as mentioned before, production values in general are higher, particular in lighting and environment design (traditionally a sore spot for Atelier games).

I agree that eventually you should get both, but hopefully that gives you some idea of what to expect from each.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I finished the game last night, some random positives and negatives:
+ The new battle system is pretty good and freshens up the game
+ The new alchemy system is also good and fun to use
+ More of a focus on story and it did a decent job with it
+ The game looks really pretty, but...
+ Some really good music, but...

- There's really not a lot of music, the OST feels small and many tracks are used too much and at inappropriate times (Lulua had this problem too)
- Very tired of those black bars on all cut-scenes, there's a scene at the very end without them and it looks so much better
- Kind of bland characters? Ryza is fine but very standard Atelier protag, Lent and Tao are just there (I forgot Tao was in the game at one point.) I think Empel and Lila are the most interesting, I liked them a bit at least. A lack of character events definitely caused this.
- It feels small, Ryza is supposed to be all about adventures but you rarely get that feeling because there just aren't a lot of areas to explore and the plot comes in so heavy this whole aspect is kind of dropped after the beginning
- A lot of the game is just warping between areas for cutscenes, especially in the middle. Warp, rest in Atelier, warp, rest, repeat.
- Too easy. There are barely any required fights, so you only need to make your gear/items better like three times during the game. And your stuff doesn't even have to be that good to win. This has been a problem with every game post Dusk. Remember all the cool fights Ayesha had?

Overall I think the game is good but you can really feel how little time these games get in development these days. They can focus on making a few things good but everything else is lacking and rushed.

Nov 17, 2017
Oh... I just stumbled across a super boss.

"Oh what's that weird thing...?"

*intimidating music and enemy with 22,000 HP shows up.

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

- Too easy. There are barely any required fights, so you only need to make your gear/items better like three times during the game. And your stuff doesn't even have to be that good to win. This has been a problem with every game post Dusk. Remember all the cool fights Ayesha had?
What difficultly level did you play at? I was on Normal for awhile and it felt too mindless so I switched it to Hard and it feels more balanced to me. Especially when fighting the various optional boss monsters you find.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
What difficultly level did you play at? I was on Normal for awhile and it felt too mindless so I switched it to Hard and it feels more balanced to me. Especially when fighting the various optional boss monsters you find.

I was on normal. Also I just fought the last optional boss and the poor thing, I broke it at around half its health and it never got another turn.

Nov 17, 2017
I was on normal. Also I just fought the last optional boss and the poor thing, I broke it at around half its health and it never got another turn.
Yeah, I think Hard mode has much more tooth to it. I've felt more in danger, I've been killed by a few bosses and I've had to retreat to the Atelier after fighting multiple enemies in an area to get my health back. There's a Very Hard mode too but I haven't tested it out yet.

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm seeing a bunch of DLC up on the eshop, but can't buy it. Did they seriously make all the DLC exclusice the deluxe release without an option to buy a DLC bundle if we just bought the regular game??

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Little disappointed there isn't more Hayato Asano influence in the game. He clearly worked on the opening song and the second phase of the final boss, but I'm not sure anything else. This game is sorely missing the music notes that the past games have had.

Nov 17, 2017
Oh, there was an update last night. I figured it was just some normal bug fixing stuff but they added some actual new features like a puni you can feed and evolve and a photo mode. Took some screenshots using it:

My thoughts on it: it's ok. It's not quite as featured as I would've liked. Basically you can move the characters around the space like props and put them in different preset poses though there aren't as many as I would like. There's a few filters and you can mess with the focus a bit, zoom in and out, tilt, add a frame, etc. I wish there were some items you could use as props or enemies you could summon. It's a nice little surprised though especially since they added it in for free.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Considering grabbing this for Christmas for my anime-obsessed 13yo. It seems right up their gaming alley.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone complaining about the game being too easy on Normal...I kind of love it, but I'm also brand new to the series. Seems like playing on Hard would make sense for someone used to the gameplay loop and general mechanics. I'm guessing items are super powerful once you start to understand how to craft them correctly?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone complaining about the game being too easy on Normal...I kind of love it, but I'm also brand new to the series. Seems like playing on Hard would make sense for someone used to the gameplay loop and general mechanics. I'm guessing items are super powerful once you start to understand how to craft them correctly?

They can be, yes. It's mostly a matter of getting the quality up, making sure you're getting the highest tier of effects, and applying good traits. Ryza makes this a little simpler because instead of combining different traits together to get super powerful ones, you're just stacking multiples of the same traits. So for example, if you include ingredients that all have "Destructive Level X" on them, the final Destructive trait that can be passed onto the item you're making will be the combined sum of all the levels up to a certain limit (ex. Destructive Lvl. 3 + Destructive Lvl. 2 = Destructive Lvl. 5 on the final item). You'll also unlock more advanced versions of the bombs and medicines you make in the early game, which of course will have stronger effects when you make them.

I actually found Ryza somewhat difficult on Normal at the beginning of the game, which I think is partially due to unfamiliarity with the real-time combat and partially because certain boss battles serve as a level/gear check. By the end of the game, you'll probably be facerolling a lot more stuff if you've been keeping up with your alchemy.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The amount of BGM they added from past games is crazy and being able to have numerous ones added to different parts of the game that play at random is awesome.

I never played the other games, does anyone here have any favorite tracks from past games that I can try out and use?

Oh, there was an update last night. I figured it was just some normal bug fixing stuff but they added some actual new features like a puni you can feed and evolve and a photo mode.

They also added a weasel outside of the atelier you can use to practice combat. What's nice is they give you rewards for things like max damage or chains. The higher you get the better the reward. Nothing is must-have or locked behind it like outfits or decorations but there are some nice rewards like 150K gems, 999 quality items, Cole, etc.

The Puni pet seems very underwhelming, though. I didn't really mess with the photo mode but those shots you took look great. It should have been launched with the game, however.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So I've been pretty high on this game but I have to say the added story for Lent was a flat out joke and I strongly recommend not to waste your money on it. Let me go over the cons:

- For starters, it uses an entirely separate save, so everything from your main save does not apply including costumes. They start you off at level 25 with the default weapon/armor and a set item list.
- No additional voice acting, just grunts and short dialogue taken from the main game.
- It's insultingly short and barebones. It will take you, no joke, 30 minutes to beat.
- The entire thing has you collecting ingredients for Ryza twice on the mainland then fighting another dragon at the castle. That's it.
- IT COSTS $6. Something like this should be free.

The only positive is you get to play as Lent with Tao as the second party member. When you beat it you unlock a new pose for Lent in photo mode and the ability to fight the new dragon in the main game. But oh boy, the fact they are charging 6 fucking dollars for this is basically highway robbery. I have not tried Tao's yet but I am just going to assume it's just as bad, and to make it even more egregious they are charging $6 per character.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
So I've been pretty high on this game but I have to say the added story for Lent was a flat out joke and I strongly recommend not to waste your money on it. Let me go over the cons:

- For starters, it uses an entirely separate save, so everything from your main save does not apply including costumes. They start you off at level 25 with the default weapon/armor and a set item list.
- No additional voice acting, just grunts and short dialogue taken from the main game.
- It's insultingly short and barebones. It will take you, no joke, 30 minutes to beat.
- The entire thing has you collecting ingredients for Ryza twice on the mainland then fighting another dragon at the castle. That's it.
- IT COSTS $6. Something like this should be free.

The only positive is you get to play as Lent with Tao as the second party member. When you beat it you unlock a new pose for Lent in photo mode and the ability to fight the new dragon in the main game. But oh boy, the fact they are charging 6 fucking dollars for this is basically highway robbery. I have not tried Tao's yet but I am just going to assume it's just as bad, and to make it even more egregious they are charging $6 per character.
Shameless, guess that's on K-T rather than Gust.

Nov 17, 2017
The amount of BGM they added from past games is crazy and being able to have numerous ones added to different parts of the game that play at random is awesome.

I never played the other games, does anyone here have any favorite tracks from past games that I can try out and use?

They also added a weasel outside of the atelier you can use to practice combat. What's nice is they give you rewards for things like max damage or chains. The higher you get the better the reward. Nothing is must-have or locked behind it like outfits or decorations but there are some nice rewards like 150K gems, 999 quality items, Cole, etc.

The Puni pet seems very underwhelming, though. I didn't really mess with the photo mode but those shots you took look great. It should have been launched with the game, however.
How does the music DLC work? Are you replacing tracks or is it like you're just turning on music to override what's playing at the time?

Also yeah, I don't know why the stuff like Photo mode, the weasel and the puni training were added just now, nearly a month after the game came out. The Puni thing in particular looks like something designed to be available early game so that you can spend periodic time with it over the course of the playthrough. I imagine most people already beat the game by now. I'm still playing but I suspect I'm close to the end. And there's supposed to be more DLC after this, right?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
So the quality of armor and weapons improves their stats? If you make two of something which are identical in every other way, the one with higher quality will have better stats? I should have tested this myself already, I know.

Sorry, my bad. I don't think it affects the stats for armor and weapons, but admittedly I also have not tested this. In the past, quality HAS effected the power of thrown items, and I assume the same is true in Ryza.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
Sorry, my bad. I don't think it affects the stats for armor and weapons, but admittedly I also have not tested this. In the past, quality HAS effected the power of thrown items, and I assume the same is true in Ryza.

I just tested some thrown items in Ryza using the Weasel Roast (incredibly handy they just released this). Party was Ryza (only).
Code:
Explosive Uni with only Scatter (no traits)
Quality 31(D) Total 198 Chain 5 Max 43
Quality 61(C) Total 231 Chain 5 Max 52

Ice Caltrop with only Stinging Pain (no traits)
Quality  30(D) Total 390 Chain 6 Max  73
Quality 109(B) Total 573 Chain 6 Max 114
Yup, quality makes a difference for thrown items.