• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
How does the music DLC work? Are you replacing tracks or is it like you're just turning on music to override what's playing at the time?

I'm not sure if it replaces the default track but you're allowed to add multiple songs to an area and it will randomly cycle different ones every time you enter that part of the game.

I imagine most people already beat the game by now. I'm still playing but I suspect I'm close to the end. And there's supposed to be more DLC after this, right?

Yeah, they are eventually going to add added stories for each character although if they are the same caliber as Lent's added story then they will all be not worth the asking price in the slightest. I believe they are also adding a whole new area to the game early next year that will feature very hard monsters but greater materials to farm. Not sure if they plan to continue the story with more DLC. They will probably just go straight to Ryza 2 for that.

Nov 17, 2017
I'm not sure if it replaces the default track but you're allowed to add multiple songs to an area and it will randomly cycle different ones every time you enter that part of the game.

Yeah, they are eventually going to add added stories for each character although if they are the same caliber as Lent's added story then they will all be not worth the asking price in the slightest. I believe they are also adding a whole new area to the game early next year that will feature very hard monsters but greater materials to farm. Not sure if they plan to continue the story with more DLC. They will probably just go straight to Ryza 2 for that.
Can you set tracks for battles?

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Of the new themes for this game, I think "Rainy Season" is my favorite.

I haven't been able to check but is the Blue Reflection music up?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So the DLC episodes are trash, huh? I've been enjoying the game and considered paying the steep price for the Season Pass...But I suspect I shouldn't?

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
So the DLC episodes are trash, huh? I've been enjoying the game and considered paying the steep price for the Season Pass...But I suspect I shouldn't?

Even as a huge Atelier fan I wouldn't recommend the season pass due to the insane price. Alternatively wait for a sale / enter KT twitter giveaways.

While rare some places do sell the season passes for less. I got a DOA6 SP for $30 from Walmart, so it's definitely possible.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Also yeah, I don't know why the stuff like Photo mode, the weasel and the puni training were added just now, nearly a month after the game came out. The Puni thing in particular looks like something designed to be available early game so that you can spend periodic time with it over the course of the playthrough. I imagine most people already beat the game by now.

The benefits of being an old. Been playing it on and off since release and I only got about 5 hours in it so far so I'm definitely taking advantage of all this.

Nov 17, 2017
The benefits of being an old. Been playing it on and off since release and I only got about 5 hours in it so far so I'm definitely taking advantage of all this.
It's funny how a lot of games nowadays want you to adopt early with all the pre-order/first day stuff but also want you to stick around long term for DLC. Makes more sense in online multiplayer games but I always find that with single player RPGs like this, by the time they come out with the DLC, I've moved on.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how a lot of games nowadays want you to adopt early with all the pre-order/first day stuff but also want you to stick around long term for DLC. Makes more sense in online multiplayer games but I always find that with single player RPGs like this, by the time they come out with the DLC, I've moved on.

It depends on the game I guess. Post launch DLC is very appreciated for something like Three Houses that has a ton of replay potential, or maybe even something that's super long like XC2, which had some of the best post launch content for any RPG imo. Might not be so great for a game like Ryza which is about 30-40 hours max from what I'm hearing. Still it's better than nothing and appreciated for an old like me. At the very least KT, did get out the fixes to the PC version much faster than I was expecting which was great.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So is there a list like of the music we must put with this available update? I'm not sure if I should add tracks and enjoy the "first run"
It sucks that the DLC stories seems to not be that good, I kinda wanted the "whole" experience

Nov 17, 2017
It depends on the game I guess. Post launch DLC is very appreciated for something like Three Houses that has a ton of replay potential, or maybe even something that's super long like XC2, which had some of the best post launch content for any RPG imo. Might not be so great for a game like Ryza which is about 30-40 hours max from what I'm hearing. Still it's better than nothing and appreciated for an old like me. At the very least KT, did get out the fixes to the PC version much faster than I was expecting which was great.
Yeah, it's a little different when it's something like a whole new gameplay sections that you can really dig into. But when it's stuff like a photo mode, puni raising, optional costumes, those aren't really things you're going to boot the game up again for because there's not much there. They mainly have benefits for the whole playthrough. Like with the puni, I could see the worth in having it from early on in the game and periodically feeding it every time you return to the atelier to get items from it. But if you've beaten the game or are close to it, it's kind of just pointless. I guess it'll be good for replays but I don't really know how replayable this game is.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I like Enlightenment a bit more because of the 7/4 time signature. I was a little sad when the battle theme changed halfway through the game.

Me too! It's not a terrible song but I do think it's the worst Atelier battle theme in a long time, maybe ever. Feels like it has no momentum at the start, which is bad when most battles are only 10-20 seconds long.

I've bought every single Atelier game since Rorona (and a few besides) and I've never even considered buying the season pass for any of them. It doesn't surprise me to learn that the character stories are barebones, I don't think Gust has ever added much when it's made new characters playable in previous games. I know this is a bit different because the stories are for people already in your party, but it doesn't look like they're making any new characters playable this time around so I feel like this is the replacement.

Yeah, it's a little different when it's something like a whole new gameplay sections that you can really dig into. But when it's stuff like a photo mode, puni raising, optional costumes, those aren't really things you're going to boot the game up again for because there's not much there. They mainly have benefits for the whole playthrough. Like with the puni, I could see the worth in having it from early on in the game and periodically feeding it every time you return to the atelier to get items from it. But if you've beaten the game or are close to it, it's kind of just pointless. I guess it'll be good for replays but I don't really know how replayable this game is.

Bizzarely, these additions feel more substantial than the ones in the season pass, even if they don't feel useful if you're already at endgame. Depending on how the Puni stuff works I could still see it being useful in post-game, just because it's always helpful to have another method of collecting ingredients and Ryza feels more constricted than most games when it comes to gathering in bulk.

Right now my Ryza platinum run is on hold because of Death Stranding, but I'm hoping to get back to it before the end of the year so I'll be able to put that theory into practice at some point.

Also: yay page 10, we did it!

Nov 17, 2017
Me too! It's not a terrible song but I do think it's the worst Atelier battle theme in a long time, maybe ever. Feels like it has no momentum at the start, which is bad when most battles are only 10-20 seconds long.
Yeah I like Rainy Season once it gets started but it doesn't usually have a chance too. Enlightenment is nice and bouncy from the start. I get why they change it though (besides just worrying about players getting tired of the battle theme) because it's a very cheery battle tune for the second half of the game where things get a bit more serious. Enlightenment is great for "Ryza and her friends going on fun adventures."

I wonder if the music DLC lets you override with music from the game itself...

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Lent's DLC story was trash. Would be whatever if it were included in the free update but the fact they are charging $6 for it is mind blowing.

I've yet to look at the DLC, but trash how? Is the story stuff bad or is it more a case of the content offered being little/lackluster?

Right now my Ryza platinum run is on hold because of Death Stranding, but I'm hoping to get back to it before the end of the year so I'll be able to put that theory into practice at some point.

My Ryza completion has been on hold because of getting through DS as well. I -think- I'm near the end, so I should be able to wrap up Ryza this weekend or during the holiday break.

Told you! This was the one!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info/tips on skipping the DLC. Saved me some $$$

Also, how do I start fishing? I don't know how to craft any sort of bait yet and I'm itching to do so. I don't even see a recipe for it? I'm closing in on the end of Chapter 3 and figured I'd be able to start that now!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info/tips on skipping the DLC. Saved me some $$$

Also, how do I start fishing? I don't know how to craft any sort of bait yet and I'm itching to do so. I don't even see a recipe for it? I'm closing in on the end of Chapter 3 and figured I'd be able to start that now!

I believe that's locked behind a story recipe, so just keep going and you should get it eventually.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

I've bought every single Atelier game since Rorona (and a few besides) and I've never even considered buying the season pass for any of them. It doesn't surprise me to learn that the character stories are barebones, I don't think Gust has ever added much when it's made new characters playable in previous games. I know this is a bit different because the stories are for people already in your party, but it doesn't look like they're making any new characters playable this time around so I feel like this is the replacement.

Bizzarely, these additions feel more substantial than the ones in the season pass, even if they don't feel useful if you're already at endgame. Depending on how the Puni stuff works I could still see it being useful in post-game, just because it's always helpful to have another method of collecting ingredients and Ryza feels more constricted than most games when it comes to gathering in bulk.

The new characters in Firis had complete, voiced quest chains and were added to the OP, etc, which was great - though kind of a waste of some pretty decent party members that the majority of players will miss. Otherwise, you'd have to wait until the Plus version of a game for the DLC characters to receive quest chains (like Wilbell, Katla, Micie and Nio in Escha and Logy Plus).

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I've yet to look at the DLC, but trash how? Is the story stuff bad or is it more a case of the content offered being little/lackluster?

Both.

This is what I said a page back:
- For starters, it uses an entirely separate save, so everything from your main save does not apply including costumes. They start you off at level 25 with the default weapon/armor and a set item list.
- No additional voice acting, just grunts and short dialogue taken from the main game.
- It's insultingly short and barebones. It will take you, no joke, 30 minutes to beat.
- The entire thing has you collecting ingredients for Ryza twice on the mainland then fighting another dragon at the castle. That's it.
- IT COSTS $6. Something like this should be free.

The only positive is you get to play as Lent with Tao as the second party member. When you beat it you unlock a new pose for Lent in photo mode and the ability to fight the new dragon in the main game.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Both.

This is what I said a page back:

I somehow missed the original post. It's a SEPARATE SAVE? What a bizarre choice. I guess since you play as Lent it's harder to incorporate it into an existing playthrough, but I honestly don't see how it could've been worth doing given its length. Another thing that makes me feel like Ryza is in some ways an experimental testbed; there's just so many things going on in terms of mechanics and some of them feel really half-baked.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Wait, so it unlocks a new enemy in the main game? Is that enemy in any way significant?

Yeah, it unlocks a unique dragon at Meteor Castle's summit in the main game that says it's a hard version. Not sure what you get for beating it on your main save, though.

I somehow missed the original post. It's a SEPARATE SAVE? What a bizarre choice. I guess since you play as Lent it's harder to incorporate it into an existing playthrough, but I honestly don't see how it could've been worth doing given its length. Another thing that makes me feel like Ryza is in some ways an experimental testbed; there's just so many things going on in terms of mechanics and some of them feel really half-baked.

Yeah, I guess. I thought the added stories were just going to be epilogue's for the main game once you beat it to continue individual character arcs. Even if it were a separate save I wouldn't have minded too much if they were actually good with some extended playtime and added some more character development, instead what they have is completely throw-away content which if it was included with free updates then you really can't complain but at $6 per character it's insane.

Nov 17, 2017
I finally figured out how to make the wind shoes. I had been trying for ages to find the path through recipes to make them before I even knew what they were. I just knew there were areas inaccessible to me and I would need to create something to get there so I'd been making every new thing I could. Now to explore all the areas I couldn't reach before!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I finally figured out how to make the wind shoes. I had been trying for ages to find the path through recipes to make them before I even knew what they were. I just knew there were areas inaccessible to me and I would need to create something to get there so I'd been making every new thing I could. Now to explore all the areas I couldn't reach before!

Eventually you can combine the wing shoes and knapsack together to free up a gathering slot, too.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Finally played around in photo mode. I decided to put the pic behind a spoiler because it includes all the party members by the end of the game.

EKMhmr3UUAIeCAd

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Messing with the memories thing and was curious what Lila would say about the town in her notes. The results were pretty funny.

All she does is have pictures of peoples houses and says who lives there.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
If I hate games with jiggle physics how much will I be put off from this game?

Also how is the Switch version?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Skip through the battle victory pose for Ryza (and I guess Lila but even that one's not as bad) and I think you'll be fine. That Ryza victory pose is by far the most egregious example of jiggle physics in the game.

Can't comment on the Switch version personally, unfortunately, but it sounds like it's decent at least.

Messing with the memories thing and was curious what Lila would say about the town in her notes. The results were pretty funny.

All she does is have pictures of peoples houses and says who lives there.

I love her writeup of Meteor Castle.

in giant text, "There's a dragon here."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017

There are some jiggle physics but it's nothing like DOA/softengine games. As chrominance mentioned theres her victory pose where she does a bounce. Then I suppose if you were turning the camera to face her to watch her run, you'd get it as well. People mentioned butt jiggle but I can't say its been noticable to me but it might be for others. Lila has some too. Watch some footage I guess, you'll likely be able to tell if its too much for you fairly quickly.

Nov 17, 2017
Oh I just realized the characters now say "Heal my HP" and "Boost my stats" like they should. I guess that must have been fixed in the recent update.

Also I got an achievement for reaching level 50 called "Musclebound Alchemist." This was all I could think of:

tenor.gif

Skip through the battle victory pose for Ryza (and I guess Lila but even that one's not as bad) and I think you'll be fine. That Ryza victory pose is by far the most egregious example of jiggle physics in the game.
To be honest, I never even noticed that for Ryza. I notice it more with her walking animation (which most times you won't notice cause her back is to the player). I notice it more with Lila for obvious reasons. But yeah, I don't think the jiggle physics are that pronounced in the game, they usually just move a bit when the character does a quick start and stop movement. I think even something like the original Xenoblade Chronicles has more jiggle physics.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I just realized the characters now say "Heal my HP" and "Boost my stats" like they should. I guess that must have been fixed in the recent update.

Also I got an achievement for reaching level 50 called "Musclebound Alchemist." This was all I could think of:

tenor.gif

To be honest, I never even noticed that for Ryza. I notice it more with her walking animation (which most times you won't notice cause her back is to the player). I notice it more with Lila for obvious reasons. But yeah, I don't think the jiggle physics are that pronounced in the game, they usually just move a bit when the character does a quick start and stop movement. I think even something like the original Xenoblade Chronicles has more jiggle physics.

There's an actual swole Ryza in the Atelier subreddit and it's magnificent.

re: jiggle physics, I think there was a screenshot earlier in this thread that showed Ryza in mid-leap during the victory pose and it was really stupidly obvious there, so now I can't unsee it. Agreed with all the other stuff you mentioned (though I'm not sure about original Xenoblade having more, it's been a long time since I've played it--the outfits are definitely way worse though)

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
game is super chill, i love it. just unlocked the garden. what is this puni raising i read about? is that something that i am going to unlock in the future, because so far i have not encountered it.

btw, how much is left after
the dragon? Feels like the halfway point with how fast things seem to develop right after

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
Does anyone happen to know how to reduce an enemy's elemental resistance? I figure it's done through a battle item. Is it a unique item or is it just some effect I need to unlock on something like a bomb or ice bomb?

Also, Ryza has a party quest to create a travel bottle with a level of 30 and I have no idea how to do that.

There's an actual swole Ryza in the Atelier subreddit and it's magnificent.

re: jiggle physics, I think there was a screenshot earlier in this thread that showed Ryza in mid-leap during the victory pose and it was really stupidly obvious there, so now I can't unsee it. Agreed with all the other stuff you mentioned (though I'm not sure about original Xenoblade having more, it's been a long time since I've played it--the outfits are definitely way worse though)
Haha I love that Soul Calibur Ryza.

Looking at the screenshot you mentioned, yeah, I can see it now. Though in motion it's not too egregious I think. And yeah, the original Xenoblade's jiggle physics are a little out of control at times haha.
vg7yndkwdzl31.gif

Let's just say the physics in Ryza aren't nearly as sensitive as that.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
game is super chill, i love it. just unlocked the garden. what is this puni raising i read about? is that something that i am going to unlock in the future, because so far i have not encountered it.

btw, how much is left after
the dragon? Feels like the halfway point with how fast things seem to develop right after

If you mean

Meteor Castle

you've got quite a ways to go, you're maybe a quarter of the way in? If that? You can get a vague sense of how much of the game is left by looking at the world map and seeing how much of it is filled in.

The Puni stuff got added to the game with a recent update, so you probably just missed it. Try going outside the atelier and looking at your porch; the screenshots/videos I saw of the Puni feature all took place there. (I haven't actually tried this myself so if it turns out I'm wrong, apologies!)

Does anyone happen to know how to reduce an enemy's elemental resistance? I figure it's done through a battle item. Is it a unique item or is it just some effect I need to unlock on something like a bomb or ice bomb?

Also, Ryza has a party quest to create a travel bottle with a level of 30 and I have no idea how to do that.

Haha I love that Soul Calibur Ryza.

Looking at the screenshot you mentioned, yeah, I can see it now. Though in motion it's not too egregious I think. And yeah, the original Xenoblade's jiggle physics are a little out of control at times haha.
vg7yndkwdzl31.gif

Let's just say the physics in Ryza aren't nearly as sensitive as that.

Travel bottles: there's a hard level cap based on the number of bottles you've found. Assuming that you've found three bottles, though, I don't think this is the issue. I'm not totally sure about this but I think just synthesizing new environments in each of the bottles will help you reach higher levels; my guess is that the ingredient you use for a bottle is not the sole determinant of the level of the bottle, and that it may also be affected by the level of the bottle you're synthesizing in and/or the levels of the other bottles you own. But I haven't experimented much with this personally. If you just want to get the party quest over with, you could try just finding a good bottle password. Not 100% sure it'll work that way but it's worth trying.