• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PS4) (75)
Metacritic (Switch) (84)
Metacritic (PC) (75)
OpenCritic (80)

Digitally Downloaded (5/5):
More than anything else, I look for my Atelier games to be relaxing and make me smile. I have a couple of small and superficial issues with Atelier Ryza, but they're unimportant in the grand scheme of things. What is important is that I came away from this game very happy. It's a joy to play, the overall experience is video game comfort food, and I don't think I'll ever get bored with the way Gust approaches the alchemy systems with the same sense of experimental creativity as the alchemy in the game itself. I didn't think it would be possible, but Gust really has managed to craft three completely different Atelier games through 2018 - one for the traditionalists, one pushing new ground, and one purely for the fans - and all three have, in their own way, been of the astoundingly high quality and spirit that has made Atelier my favourite JRPG franchise for quite a few years now.

Bonus Stage (10/10):
There's no question that Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout is for the longtime fans, but it really is a fantastic entry point for newcomers and the jaded former players to come back in. The game looks gorgeous, plays wonderfully, has no issues on the Switch and will still bring all the great alchemical action of the series with fewer hang ups and complaints. And yea, if you want to spend your hours fine tuning your own Secret Hideout within the game with decorations, all designs and furniture, be my guest: it wasn't important for me and I wasn't punished for not caring after the game introduced the concept. This is a real gift to the gaming community as a whole, and any RPG enthusiast owes it to themselves to see what Ryza can bring in terms of a fantastic experience.

vgBR (9.5/10, review in Portuguese):
I'm so proud to see Gust grow as I grew up, I always believed in the potential of this studio. Atelier Ryza was developed with great affection, bringing everything the series has always done best and expanding to new horizons.

Video Chums (9.1/10):
I honestly don't have much negative to say about this masterpiece of a JRPG but I do have a couple of complaints. The first is that I wish it had English voice acting. I understand that voicing a huge game such as this is a substantial endeavour but surely, Koei Tecmo has the resources to invest in that. I mean, Idea Factory always adds English voices to their games and I'm certain that Koei Tecmo is a bigger company than they are. Anyway, my only other complaint is that some information is needlessly difficult to find or is blatantly obscured. For example, when you have to meet a character but they're not in their usual spot and the waypoint isn't pointing to them, it can get super-annoying although that doesn't happen often. Also, you have to really dig through the menus to find where unattained items that you need are located. Considering these are the only complaints that I have, you can trust that this is a top-notch game.

PSX Brasil (90/100, review in Portuguese):
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & The Secret Hideout not only does enough to differentiate itself from the most recent games of the series, but also puts it firmly as one of - if not the best - titles in the 22 years of the franchise, using all of its strongest points to deliver a memorable experience.

Gamer Escape (9/10):
As someone who's long figured that the Atelier franchise just isn't for me, Atelier Ryza comes as a huge surprise. It seemed like Gust had been resting on its laurals for so long, pumping out these feel-good low-stakes cute girl games year after year that just didn't interest me. Ryza, though, shows that they're willing to change things up and do something new.

Noisy Pixel (9/10, video):
Even though there are many new features that players will need to wrap their heads around, Atelier Ryza offers so much in terms of a great RPG battle system to one of the most accessible yet, deep synthesis systems of the series. I had a wonderful time playing this game, and I would say that if you've never played the series before, this will be the perfect time to begin your Atelier adventure.

TheSixthAxis (9/10):
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout reinvents the wheel on a series that felt like it was beginning to grow stagnant. Fresh combat and an engaging new protagonist help this entry usher in a remarkable new era for the long-running Atelier series, and other improvements like great Switch performance and gorgeous music are just icing on the cake. I never thought that Atelier Sophie could be out-done, but Atelier Ryza has thoroughly made the case to be my new favorite game in the series.

GameSkinny (9/10):
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness and the Secret Hideout is a must-play for series fans, whether you've played every entry or just one.

The big question is whether it will change the minds of those who've passed the series over before. The answer depends. If you're wanting an epic RPG with conflict and deep characterization, well, don't get this. If you want something a bit more sedate that rewards the time and effort you put into its different systems, it might just be worth a try.

Switching Worlds (8.9/10):
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout not only turns a new leaf for the series, but is the perfect entry for newcomers as well. The revamped synthesis mechanics are just that much better. I personally feel that the new turn-based/realtime battle system is an improvement by being fast and feeling fresh, but may not be for all. It just takes a while to unlock all its best features. The cast of characters and the new visual upgrade really amplify the cozy slice-of-life nature the series is known for. The plot stays steady, but it's the slow burn of the main cast and people of Kurken Island that make it worth it if the slice-of-life genre is your jam. It's wholesome, jolly vibes all around.

Nintenderos (8.7/10, review in Spanish):
Atelier Ryza is a revolution for the series with a completely new combat and synthesis system, as well as an original story about what it means to mature. Its slow pace and repetitiveness are not for everyone, but it is the perfect title for those who want to start playing the franchise.

But Why Tho? (8.5/10):
Overall, while it may take a little time to learn new features like the combat system and new material crafting, the game is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. Atelier Ryza is a delightful and visually pleasing Japanese RPG filled with vibrant colors, a variety of characters, beautiful open-world environments to explore, and tells a heart-warming coming of age story about wonder and adventure. I highly recommend it for both old and new fans alike. I think the new features offer an opportunity for newcomers to enter the franchise while also giving veteran fans a new and refreshing challenge to the popular series.

God is a Geek (8.5/10):
Overall, Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout on Nintendo Switch is a fantastic conversion. If you've been turned off the series after Atelier Lydie & Suelle's technical issues on Nintendo Switch and have been waiting for something that runs and looks great on Nintendo's hybrid system, this is it. Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout is by far the best looking and running Atelier game on a portable ever. The gameplay enhancements make it more welcoming to the point where I can safely recommend this to anyone alongside Atelier Sophie as the best entry point into Gust's excellent franchise.

Everyeye.it (8.5/10, review in Italian):
Between sudden and radical changes of course, and not least an aggressive marketing campaign based solely on the protagonist's sex appeal, we were not sure that Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout would prove to be the definitive answer to the ever more necessary renewal of the brand. Having overcome the initial skepticism and confusion experienced before the new product mechanics, the title packaged by the Gust Corporation guys won us over in every respect. Although the story still presents dead spots, the giant steps made on the narrative, playful, artistic and technical level make it the best Atelier ever, as well as the perfect starting point for anyone who has never dared to approach the twenty-year Japanese brand. Net of any hesitation, the new path taken by the developer will certainly succeed in conquering the hard core of the fans and, more generally, the fans of JRPG. In short, the eternal darkness of recent episodes now seems destined to give way to a radiant and exciting future.

Multiplayer.it (8.2/10, review in Italian):
Atelier Ryza - Ever Darkness & The Secret Hideout is a candidate, in recent years, to be the best exponent of the entire series: thanks to an update that invests at the same time the graphic-technical sector and the very heart of the gameplay of the franchise, namely that delicate balance between fighting and alchemy. Pleasant narration entertains for a remarkable number of hours, but unfortunately never shine; on the other hand you will find an infinite number of quests in your hands, in addition to the possibility of creating and furnishing your shelter / alchemical laboratory from scratch. In the near future, finally, there will be DLCs that will enrich the basic contents of the production, for example introducing new missions for the main characters, and various costumes. If you are the last to arrive, it is from this title that you should begin to learn about Atelier. If you are already an expert in the franchise, run to buy it.

Just Push Start (8/10):
In a lot of ways Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout is an improvement. Here we have someone who is getting into alchemy because they want to, plus a mysterious plot that is building in the background, making it one of the better stories to date. Toss in improvements to the combat and alchemy system and it gives players a reason to stick around until the end. And, with better visuals, it's really hard to say Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout is held back in the ways previous titles were. Sure, it could still be better in combat or pacing but it's a massive step in the right direction and something fans and newcomers alike should be able to enjoy.

GamingBolt (8/10):
All the complaints aside, though, Atelier Ryza is really, really good, and really, really relaxing. I don't really have many personal complaints. If you're looking for a game to kick back and relax with, Atelier Ryza is probably one of your best bets at the current moment.

Cubed3 (8/10):
In the grand scheme of things, Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hidout is just another entry in the series, which doesn't have what it takes to be declared the absolute best amongst its many siblings. That said, and although a little more emphasis in alchemy and storytelling, as well as a more open-ended structure would be more than welcome, this is definitely one of the best Atelier titles ever. It's an immersive, beautiful, and relaxing journey, which smells like summer and childhood adventure.

Gaming Boulevard (8/10):
Atelier games shine more than not though, in the end, they are good games and this Atelier Ryza is no exception. Which might be its biggest downside, the new synthing, the seemingly better storyline do set it apart, but in its core, you know what you are getting into…

Michibiku (8/10):
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout feels like we're not just seeing Ryza head out on a whole new adventure, but the Atelier series as a whole. The new directions for the battle system and item synthesis are both very much appreciated and liven up features that, after the Arland, Dusk and Mysterious series, were starting to get a little stagnant. Getting to customize a base is fun, especially since you could try and make it functional or pretty. It is missing some staples, like relationships developing between characters and multiple endings. Still, it does a lot well and it is lovely to see an Atelier installment experiment.

PC Invasion (8/10):
Despite how hard some of the ingredients can be to find and how poor the port can be, I really love Atelier Ryza. It's a lengthy, extremely fun game with wonderful crafting, satisfying combat, good exploration, and a likable – if still somewhat generic – cast of characters. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. This could very well get the series some new fans, as it's a very good time and a great place for newcomers to start.

RPG Site (8/10):
Ultimately, though, they're the kind of wrinkles that can be smoothed out in a sequel, and it's pretty likely that Atelier Ryza is the first of its own trilogy. Even with the wrinkles, though, it's a great jumping in point for newcomers to the series, with its simpler approach to alchemy and lack of time limits to adhere to. While I may have enjoyed Atelier Lulua more, that title comes with three other games' worth of baggage to deal with. Atelier Ryza is a fresh start, and a perfect title to jump right into the series with.

Vandal (7.8/10, review in Spanish):
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout takes good steps forward by renewing its graphic engine, important for the entire exploration part, and presenting a less complex game , suitable for rookies in Atelier or players looking for an RPG away from the drama of many other stories. Probably many veteran fans see it as a casual delivery, but we prefer to think that it is a turning point that sets the stage for a new trilogy or series that will deepen the systems over time. For now, Atelier Ryza already wastes personality to be one of the most innovative chapters of the entire saga.

Frontline Gaming Japan (7.5/10):
Atelier Ryza is a short and sweet RPG, ideal for players who are not used to RPGs, or want to try out an Atelier game for the first time. People who are interested in the setting will also not be disappointed. Series fans, however, might find the experience to be somewhat lacking due to its short length and simpler synthesis system.

Jeuxvideo.com (14/20, review in French):
Arriving much earlier than expected but with decisive innovations, Atelier Ryza could have reached the summit of the series if Gust had provided a little more effort on the story, the characters and the lore in general. Alchemy offers hours of reflection in a very well calibrated system, the fighting takes on a more energetic dimension, the technical progress is obvious but the content is lacking. The sluggish scenario has unbearable lengths and the adventure itself, linear in addition, is singularly lacking in richness. With a few months of development more, we would surely have had more surprises and satisfaction.

Fextralife (7/10):
This is an Atelier game through-and-through. If you are a fan of the series, go buy it now, you won't be disappointed. If you aren't a fan of the series, but you're looking for an RPG that has some incredibly deep systems to explore and exploit, then I would heartily recommend this game. The planning and manipulation of properties that goes into crafting in this games is rivaled by few games on the market.

That said, there is a bit of dissonance between the story and the mechanics. While I wouldn't say the incredibly deep and complex mechanics are at odds with the cute feel and heartwarming story, it is something to be aware of. Those looking just for a nice story might be put-off by the mechanics, and those looking for complex mechanics might get put off by the cuteness of the game. I'll end this by saying that if you enjoy RPGs then you should give Atelier Ryza a try as there's a lot to like here.

PlayStation Universe (6.5/10):
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout is a good addition to the franchise that allows newcomers a perfect opportunity to jump in. For long-time fans, the move to more simplified mechanics may be a turn-off. If you're a huge fan of the franchise chances are you'll pick Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout up in a heartbeat but if you have always been skeptical Atelier Ryza won't really change your mind.

Last edited:

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems well received.

I've yet to play one of these but they seem very laid back. That's cool.

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to figure out if there was a physical edition in NA. Anyone know? Switch specifically.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like most people are praising the story/setting, but the complexity/gameplay are the negatives. So far so good, i haven't played any of the newer atelier games since the Dusk Trilogy, so i might just jump back in the series with this one.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Great scores. Maybe I should give the series another try with this entry. The one I played on the Vita (recommended by fans to me as a good entrypoint) was somewhat of a letdown for me and made me lose interest in other entries.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Another Atelier game im gonna get and NOT play for like 6 months.
The Atelier games are my favorite Lazy Sunday games, still going with Lulua so ive got some time before I jump into Ryza.

Do we have an EU release date yet?

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I know the combat is not the main attraction for those games but when it came to the last game, It pissed me off because I liked it in theory but the numbers were all off, easy was auto-mode and hard was so time consuming because it seemed like it only increased the enemy health bars which made the combat a battle of attrition :/

Reading some reviews and can't really pinpoint how I'd feel about the new combat system but it for sure seems like a welcome addition, hope the numbers will be tighter this time.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I know the combat is not the main attraction for those games but when it came to the last game, It pissed me off because I liked it in theory but the numbers were all off, easy was auto-mode and hard was so time consuming because it seemed like it only increased the enemy health bars which made the combat a battle of attrition :/

Reading some reviews and can't really pinpoint how I'd feel about the new combat system but it for sure seems like a welcome addition, hope the numbers will be tighter this time.
Typically what you're meant to do in Atelier is start on normal, then adjust the difficulty up later when farming for more exp and better traits.

Still dunno if I'm gonna sit this entry out. It's the least interested I've been in Atelier in like a decade :/

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Inadvertently, I think this game demonstrates the differences between OpenCritic's methodology (convert everyone's scores to a 100 point scale and averages them) and Metacritic's methodology (weigh each outlet's score prior to converting). Certainly, there's an extremely clear discrepancy in this game's averaged review score.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inadvertently, I think this game demonstrates the differences between OpenCritic's methodology (convert everyone's scores to a 100 point scale and averages them) and Metacritic's methodology (weigh each outlet's score prior to converting). Certainly, there's an extremely clear discrepancy in this game's averaged review score.
there's also the fact that opencritic is combining reviews for 3 platforms, but meta seperates reviews by platform.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
How does this metascore compare to those of the previous games?

About in line with the usual scores.

Atelier Iris - 74 (PS2)
Atelier Iris 2 - 68 (PS2)
Atelier Iris 3 - 63 (PS2)
Mana Khemia - 69 (PS2), 41 (PSP - Note: this was a really bad port)
Mana Khemia 2 - 70 (PS2)
Atelier Rorona - 65 (PS3)
Atelier Rorona Plus (remake) - 80 (PS3), 79 (Plus - Vita)
Atelier Totori - 74 (PS3), 79 (Plus - Vita)
Atelier Meruru - 66 (PS3), 74 (Plus - Vita)
Atelier Ayesha - 70 (PS3), 76 (Plus - Vita)
Atelier Escha & Logy - 79 (PS3), 75 (Plus - Vita)
Atelier Shallie - 76 (PS3), 78 (Plus - Vita)
Atelier Sophie - 75 (PS4), 73 (Steam)
Atelier Firis - 74 (PS4)
Atelier Lydie & Suelle - 74 (PS4), 62 (Switch)
Atelier Lulua - 78 (PS4), 78 (Switch), 79 (Steam)

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the switch metacritic so high? Just not many reviews based on the switch version?

I like the series but no Gust game has ever been 91 worthy lol

Nov 9, 2017
If I loved the Iris Trilogy but haven't really liked any of the entries from Arland going forward, will this game suck me back in to the franchise? There seem to be a lot of positive changes from the brief descriptions I have read.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of that is just people being happy/surprised that the Switch port is apparently quite good this time around.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
If even God is a Geek liked the Switch release then it must be a superb port, they're usually utterly harsh on Switch versions.

Why is the switch metacritic so high? Just not many reviews based on the switch version?

I like the series but no Gust game has ever been 91 worthy lol
Just was asking me same thing, why is the PS4 MC worse than Switch?
What the hell is the difference between the Switch and PS4 version to warrant that big of a difference? lol.

Probably because is a pretty great conversion and has less reviews but also because the Atelier series is especially adequate to handhelds.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Wow these are really good reviews for this series. It's nice to see it finally getting a bit of recognition.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the difference between switch and PS4 metascore just shows how useless metacritic is for multi-platform releases. the game is the same on both platforms, but scores change depending on whether the publisher sent a ps4 code or switch code to whoever. opencritic is much better in this regard.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
the difference between switch and PS4 metascore just shows how useless metacritic is for multi-platform releases. the game is the same on both platforms, but scores change depending on whether the publisher sent a ps4 code or switch code to whoever. opencritic is much better in this regard.
You're not wrong... and yet split platform reviews are still kind of essential when it comes to performance and port quality. So there's kind of a necessary evil for both approaches... with the caveat that small review sample sizes like in this instance are going to drastically skew consensus scoring. That's the variable at work here moreso than anything else.

OpenCritic will, without question, inform you better on the quality of the game as a whole once platform bias is removed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not wrong... and yet split platform reviews are still kind of essential when it comes to performance and port quality. So there's kind of a necessary evil for both approaches... with the caveat that small review sample sizes like in this instance are going to drastically skew consensus scoring. That's the variable at work here moreso than anything else.

OpenCritic will, without question, inform you better on the quality of the game as a whole once platform bias is removed.
true, but i think there has to be a way to pool reviews together from all platforms to generate the average (as long as one version is not drastically different), but also give platform specific info to people.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
true, but i think there has to be a way to pool reviews together from all platforms to generate the average (as long as one version is not drastically different), but also give platform specific info to people.
Yeah, having one page for all platforms and then having ways to view the aggregated score for every platform as well as per platform would be ideal imo instead of having to do all of this yourself.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Okay Atelier Ryza is officially the game that switched my love for Atelier games to full-gear! I just made it to

the dragon boss

and damn do I have a blast crafting and helping the island and interacting with everyone :D