ATLAS announced, a massively multiplayer first-and-third-person fantasy pirate adventure coming to Steam December 13th, XB1 in 2019

Jan 21, 2018
Rare should be taking notes for their next update. When I saw this in TGA I could not un-see a better version of SoT.
I disagree. Different isn't always better. For me the survival and RPG elements could be a downside very fast.

Meanwhile, SoT has improved this year. More content while (somewhat) keeping the original vision. Still having a blast.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this what they were up to instead of developing ARK?
It's actually a sister studio.
Blog

"Ahoy Survivors,

Jeremy and Jesse here! You might have noticed the announcement today of a new MMO game called ATLAS developed by a sister team of Studio Wildcard, named Grapeshot Games. Jesse and Jeremy together are now leading the development of ATLAS at Grapeshot, while continuing to creatively supervise the direction of ARK. Grapeshot itself is comprised of some original ARK team members as well as many new hires and operates as a separate dedicated dev team.

The Wildcard team meanwhile has grown developing ARK and Extinction over the past year, led by Lead Programmer Chris Willoughby and Senior Producer Colin Tennery, and have been doing an excellent job bringing fresh ideas and QoL improvements to the game. As we work together with Chris, Colin, and the rest of the team, Wildcard will continue to support and expand ARK over the years to come bringing new features, fixes, and expansions into the game. Grapeshot meanwhile will grow in a direction oriented towards the operation of the persistent MMO service that ATLAS is, while both games will share technology and infrastructure improvements to complement each other.

We’d like to thank everybody for their long-standing support, love of ARK, and enthusiasm for survival games, and we look forward to the adventures ahead!

Keep on surviving,
Jeremy and Jesse
Co-Creative Directors of ARK and Co-Founders of Studio Wildcard"

Oct 27, 2017
Ok looks promising! Sea of thieves with lots of rpg elements would be great. If this runs well and has a good amount of EA content I may check it out next year. I never buy EA games so that really says something for me, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Another article.

gamespot

"You play as a Pathfinder, a descendant of a magical realm that formerly existed in the world of Atlas.

"As a so-called Pathfinder, you are the heir to this legacy--it's actually a fantasy world," Stieglitz explained. "I would say it kind of takes a page from Game of Thrones, where it's like similar aesthetics to real history, but its own fantasy background and magic, and history of the world. And so essentially [the players] are all descendants of the guardians of this magic power from the old world, and that world actually existed in the sky hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

"And then a war happened, and all the continents that were floating the sky, powered by magic, essentially exploded, and created all these islands in the water world that existed below. And hundreds of years after that catastrophe, people are starting to branch out again and explore the reformed world on the water."

That magic power probably explains the Game Awards trailer, which showed a world not only filled with other people, but also fantasy creatures like dragons and krakens. There will be other animals you can find, tame, and breed around the world, too."

Not a bad premise.

"You can actually have AI crew [members] that you can command around your ship," Stieglitz explained. "One of the things we noticed in other games--well, other games being Sea of Thieves--is it wasn't really easy to play by yourself because you had to do every single thing on the ship yourself. And so that kind of limited the scope of the game for small groups of players or a single player. So we made it possible to recruit AI crew who you have to pay in gold and you have to feed, or they'll mutiny. They don't always do exactly what you tell them to do for now, but you can basically put them on your boat at various stations, whether its sails or cannons. And then if you get into the captain's wheel you can issue them orders or you can even like control them en masse."

As someone who played a ton of sea of thieves solo and just stopped one day because it felt too laborious this is interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
And...it's delayed.

Steam
"
Ahoy!

After thinking carefully over the past several days, we've decided to delay the ATLAS launch until December 19th to give the team more time to run through this massive game's extensive content.

It's a vast virtual world out there across the ATLAS, and the team's going to use that extra time to review every portion of it thoroughly. We're sorry about the delay, and we know how much everyone is looking forward to establishing their empires!

The team here at Grapeshot is so excited to bring this new world to life with you, and we know it's going to be an absolute blast. So please keep your powder dry a little bit longer, and at long last next Wednesday the 19th, we'll be joining you on the most excellent adventure of our lifetimes!

See you on the ATLAS soon Pathfinders,
Jat, Jeremy, and Jesse "

Yeah that's a rubbish explanation. This game is gonna be something...

From Reddit:

"By entire run through of content, we mean internal checks, just to make sure everything is sound for launch. As for details regarding the game, I'd recommend checking out the feature by PCGamer and GameSpot.

Additionally, we're going to be the featured/cover title for PCGamer's December edition which will cover a fair bit of info prior to the launch of the game.

And as for our own posts, we will be sharing more as we get towards launch and beyond, however it most likely will be in the form of media. Typically we prefer when players discover and play with the systems themselves, and we fully expect a lot of that to be revealed when the game launches and people are getting their feet wet.

We're a bit more quiet on social than we'd like at the moment, but that's because it's all hands on deck preparing for the launch, but once the game is out there, you'll find us much more engaging."

Oct 29, 2017
Dang, that sucks, I was looking forward to playing it this weekend :(.

I mean really, what can they fix in just a weeks time? It's going to be early access anyway, seems a bit strange to delay early access since the point is to find bugs and test things.