• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Announced tonight during The Game Awards; from the developers of ARK. Coming to Xbox One next year.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm waiting for a single player pirate game since Black Flag, but wont happen right

OP
OP
Real

Real

Oct 28, 2017
This'll compete head to head with Amazon's New World alongside Sea of Thieves -- they seem developed in the same vein and lean heavy on survival/cooperation efforts.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting but being made by the Ark people makes me worry about it's performance. Combat also looks pretty rough.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I wish them the best of luck.

I am very skeptical of this genre, but their ambition isn't unnoticed

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Powerful Mod and Server Functionalities - Want to build a World War II Spitfire? Or a Flying Fortress bomber with fully walkable interior and gun stations, carrying troops loaded with machine guns and rocket launchers? How about a Tank? An Aircraft Carrier to play out the Battle of Midway on an expansive scale? How about an Arcadian Steampunk Airship floating through a cloud-world? These examples and much more are provided with the ATLAS Dev Kit, where you can make effectively create whatever large-scale MMO action game you want to see happen, all supported by the database-driven network technology that powers ATLAS. Unofficial ATLAS' can be of any size and configuration, while a visual map tool lets server hosts layout their own complete custom world of islands, continents, terrain features, spawns, resources, hazards, underwater zones, dynamic weather, biome configurations, ecology, and an infinite number of other configurable features -- all dynamically streamed to the client during gameplay. The possibilities are endless!
This sounds fucking wild. I'm curious to see how it pans out--moreso than the game itself.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Presentation ran at like 10 fps in spots but it does look like it has a lot more to do than SoT.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An actual MMO, I'm super in. Shit looks dope as hell I am gonna rope my friends into this to play it with me.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing, 40k players per instance? Color me intrigued. I really need a PC.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
PC gamer has an article up.

Very in depth.

"Stieglitz says Atlas will likely be in Early Access for two years or longer. It will not have any paid DLC or expansions because "the world of Atlas is obviously going to grow, but it should grow for everybody." To help cover the cost of development, though, Atlas will eventually add cosmetic microtransactions before leaving Early Access. The idea, at this time, is that players will be able to buy outfits and decorations but in-game methods will be available to "grind" for these items. And though Atlas only costs $30 USD right now, it will eventually cost $60 USD when it leaves Early Access.

As for performance, Stieglitz contends that "at launch Atlas will run better than ARK does now" and will continue to improve from there. Part of that is due to improvements made to both the Unreal Engine and Studio Wildcard's own code, but Rapczak also says that, no surprise here, open sea is a lot easier to render than dense jungles."

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
First person... bummer.

Give me a third-person pirate adventure. Pillars of Eternity 2 and Maelstrom aren't enough 't--I need more.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was really impressed, definitely want to check it out. After I buy RDR2 maybe.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmmm... I'll wait about a week after release before buying it to see how performance is, but if it turns out to be OK I could see me playing this with my friends and having a blast.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you've been ignoring everything that they've been doing since release. It has actually come a long way and they are very much continuing to push content into it.

Not really. I think this latest update to SoT was a great push forward in making the world seem more alive, but this game looks saturated with stuff going on.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
One thing is for sure at least for a few weeks this game is going to be enormous on twitch with the RP/Survival crowd which will generate a ton of sales. Hope they can do better than they did with Ark because this really interest me.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Ark game trailers always looks awesome. The game on the other hand... This looks cool on trailer. We'll see how it actually looks next week

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Looks like a Sea of Thieves with a lot more jank and more rpg elements. I'm interested, but it doesn't capture the magic that Sea of Thieves does for me. Let's see.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it might interest me, unlike vanilla sea of thieves. So I'm cautiously optimistic but it might just have been a very solid trailer so I'll wait for impressions and info on amount of different content to do

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
With all the content updates coming to Sea of Thieves, the launch of Skull and Bones and this reaching early access, 2019 will be a very piratey year.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a Sea of Thieves with a lot more jank and more rpg elements. I'm interested, but it doesn't capture the magic that Sea of Thieves does for me. Let's see.
It's an easy comparison to make but they are two extremely different games. Sea of thieves is more of a co-op pvp game with small player number per instances and a focus on finding loot and delivering it for pay while avoiding getting robbed.

This is a survival game with a pirate theme with extensive building mechanics a much larger world and many more players. Obviously it's not one giant landmass with 40 thousand people. Seems like the island territories are all separate instances with I'm sure a player cap and it uses the ocean as a loading zone between them. But from what I read your ships are customizable and islands can be claimed and anyone building on them can be taxed. Much like Eve Online everyone plays on one giant "universe" but in this game there is a PvP and PvE option.

The game has a lot of potential but the developer doesn't spark a lot of faith.

Also here is a longer gameplay trailer.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It's an easy comparison to make but they are two extremely different games. Sea of thieves is more of a co-op pvp game with small player number per instances and a focus on finding loot and delivering it for pay while avoiding getting robbed.

This is a survival game with a pirate theme with extensive building mechanics a much larger world and many more players. Obviously it's not one giant landmass with 40 thousand people. Seems like the island territories are all separate instances with I'm sure a player cap and it uses the ocean as a loading zone between them. But from what I read your ships are customizable and islands can be claimed and anyone building on them can be taxed. Much like Eve Online everyone plays on one giant "universe" but in this game there is a PvP and PvE option.

The game has a lot of potential but the developer doesn't spark a lot of faith.

Also here is a longer gameplay trailer.

Yeah, I'm interested. Hope it's not too heavy on the survival aspects. I get tired of those very fast most of the times. But knowing they are the ARK dev's..

I like the idea of the seas being a large loading screen with the islands as separate servers with smaller player counts. Will keep an eye on this.

Meanwhile sailing the seas on Sea of Thieves.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm interested. Hope it's not too heavy on the survival aspects. I get tired of those very fast most of the times. But knowing they are the ARK dev's..

I like the idea of the seas being a large loading screen with the islands as separate servers with smaller player counts. Will keep an eye on this.

Meanwhile sailing the seas on Sea of Thieves.
I think it's gonna be tough to beat the feel/look of the water and ship combat in Sea of Thieves. But for sure there will be a ton of streamers playing this next week so I'll be watching a lot of it before deciding to jump in.