• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So this got lost in all the Persona 5 Royal news, but Atlus came out today to confirm that Persona 5 has sold 2.7 million copies worldwide. This comes from the Amazon JP listing for Persona 5 Royal. Last sales update had the game at 2.4 million just a few weeks back.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07QZ1CWL6

oAiM13T.png

OrionsNebula

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Atlus hitting big numbers! Isn't this their only game that has more than 500k in sales? (That is, if P4 and P4G are split)
Either way, they are a great company that makes great games. Well deserved!

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Doesn't seem that high considering the PS4 has an install base of nearly 100 million. Guess it's a pretty niche game though.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem that high considering the PS4 has an install base of nearly 100 million. Guess it's a pretty niche game though.

It's a Japanese role playing game that takes 100 hours to complete.

Meanwhile the Dancing game was translated to spanish (and I guess other languages too). I still don't understand who thought translating that but not P5 was a good idea.

The effort on translation is probably vastly different.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Meanwhile the Dancing game was translated to spanish (and I guess other languages too). I still don't understand who thought translating that but not P5 was a good idea.

Well, the amount of text in Persona 5 is ginormous. It's not even comparable to the dancing games.
Still, I feel confident that P5R will feature EFIGS subtitles.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
User Warned - Port Begging
And if you mothers would release Persona 5 on Xbox you'd have even more copies sold! Quit being stingy with your releases! rah!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy number for a console exclusive 3rdParty J-RPG.
Persona has come along way.

Edit:
And if you mothers would release Persona 5 on Xbox you'd have even more copies sold! Quit being stingy with your releases! rah!
They are probably more than happy with those numbers and dont think additional versions on other consoles would add much more to the 2.7m.

Looking at those numbers i cant blame them too much - you know what they say about changing up a winning formula.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Not to mention it was localized to english only which limited its appeal in Europe.

Not so much, in some contries yes, but in the majority we are very familiar with English, the TV is not dubbed and some people prefer the original voices. For me as Portuguese we are very familiar with the subtitles so the localization its dispensable and only delaying games..

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Not so much, in some contries yes, but in the majority we are very familiar with English, the TV is not dubbed and some people prefer the original voices. For me as Portuguese we are very familiar with the subtitles so the localization its dispensable and only delaying games..

Well in larger European countries actually everything is dubbed and generally people don't have that great english skills (France, Italy, Spain etc). I mean in places like Nordics or Netherlands being english only doesn't limit the appeal because people are generally very fluent in it but in bigger countries it does.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very well deserved. Persona 5 is an incredible game. Can't wait for Royal.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Congrats I still remember stumbling onto the ign trailer for Persona 3 on ps2 with the evoker pistols and thinking "this will never EVER be brought to the states". Glad I was wrong.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
So, it's still niche then.
Judt kidding, this is amazing, congrats for the deserved success.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
User Warned: Port Begging
Surely this would sell gangbusters on Switch? Not port begging because I don't really care anymore, but JRPG's sell very well on the platform.

Lmao a warning for this, strange mod

Last edited: