• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Given how long ago they started Project Re:Fantasy and how old P5 is at this point, they've gotta announce something soon. If not at the concert, then at some other event before the end of the year.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I mean, Atlus has literally nothing slated for next year, so I would expect they announce something of significance soon, if not P6 or Re Fantasy (please talk about those too, though).

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Atlus has literally nothing slated for next year, so I would expect they announce something of significance soon, if not P6 or Re Fantasy (please talk about those too, though).
Soul Hackers 2 was announced in February of this year and released about a month ago, so they could easily announce something next year.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
If Atlus is simultaneously working on P6, Re Fantasy, and a hypothetical P3 remake, I do understand why they might not have much to show at this exact moment. Still soul-crushing after all the anniversary stuff, though.

All I really need is a colored screen and a logo, Atlus. Surely you can spare this. Surely.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Well the last big possible event for this year is Sony showcase and a Nintendo Direct.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
what's the point in announcing new games if y'all are willing to buy Persona 5 at full price for the third time

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Project Re:Fantasy was announced 6 years ago. If it's not ready to be revealed soon, there's something seriously wrong with it.

Feb 16, 2022
Project Re:Fantasy was announced 6 years ago. If it's not ready to be revealed soon, there's something seriously wrong with it.
It was announced as part of the christening of their new studio and a recruitment drive, right? I'd figure at that point they haven't even gone to pre-production yet, all they had was probably just some early proposal drafts and a piece or two of art works.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Hold on a second. Has Atlus always announced something at their concert? Was there ever a concert without any game related announcement?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on a second. Has Atlus always announced something at their concert? Was there ever a concert without any game related announcement?
They have always announced games at their concerts since 2014 I believe? Was where we got the first real P5 trailer and ever since that's where all major Persona announcements happened.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
They have always announced games at their concerts since 2014 I believe? Was where we got the first real P5 trailer and ever since that's where all major Persona announcements happened.
Yeah, this is what's making me think that they're probably holding onto it for some other event, either because they want more reach, they're contractually-obligated to do so, or whatever they want to show just isn't quite ready yet.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I thought so. Still not sure what to think🤔 Would Atlus really dab on their concert and P6 reveal if, let's say, Sony wanted it for Showcase?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Even putting P3 and P4 ports aside, Atlus doesn't really need to have anything of their own for next year tbh.

They are a part of Sega and are helping them with the localization and publishing of Ishin and Erased Man, so they are good.
Okay, I thought so. Still not sure what to think 🤔 Would Atlus really dab on their concert and P6 reveal if, let's say, Sony wanted it for Showcase?
Atlus might not do that, but looking at Ishin, Sega definitely would and ultimately it's Sega's call. Especially for something as big as a new mainline Persona.

Sony's offer might've been too good to pass on. Like, if for example Sony was to shoulder all marketing duties for the game and Sega could still release it multiplatform day one, then I don't think Sega would say no to that.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That would just be Atlus West, not the main development branch of Atlus.
Yea, but they are still helping Sega out in their wider strategy of becoming a day and date global publisher.

I don't think Sega would force them to have something on yearly basis, if their games aren't ready. And again, they do have 2 ports on the way (and let's not forget SMTV on the Nvidia leak, so we could see a port of that as well).

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Sega would force them to have something on yearly basis, if there games aren't ready.

Even if they had absolutely nothing when they announced it, a late 2023 release would mean a 7-year development period for Project Re:Fantasy. That's long even by AAA standards. If they're not ready, there's a problem.

Persona 6, we don't know when they started development, but it's been 3 years since P5R and 6 years since P5. It's quite possibly it could come out next year, depending on when they started development, especially if it's not a big departure for P5 in style.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they had absolutely nothing when they announced it, a late 2023 release would mean a 7-year development period for Project Re:Fantasy. That's long even by AAA standards. If they're not ready, there's a problem.

Persona 6, we don't know when they started development, but it's been 3 years since P5R and 6 years since P5. It's quite possibly it could come out next year, depending on when they started development, especially if it's not a big departure for P5 in style.
Well Studio Zero kinda paused the (probably barely existent) development of RE Fantasy at the time to do Catherine Fullbody and then they did a port of that on Switch. It was almost 3 years ago when they said they finally have a proper direction with RE Fantasy and can move forward with its development. Developing a completely new IP is hard and very time consuming as is, now add Covid to the mix and it's not difficult to imagine that (despite their climaxes) they might not be that far along in the development of the game.

I expect P6 to be announced/released sooner, so I could see it actually being announced for a 2023 release, but who knows what they are doing with that game so at the same time I could see us not hearing anything about the game at all until late next year.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Given how long ago they started Project Re:Fantasy and how old P5 is at this point, they've gotta announce something soon. If not at the concert, then at some other event before the end of the year.
Is it possible the development of SMTV and SH2 messed with those games? Like, they should definitely be announced by now.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people talking about Project Re Fantasy all of a sudden? Is it the bargaining phase? Let it go.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Predominantly" is an overstatement, but you look at the director (Shigeo Komori), the chief planner (Masaru Watanabe), the chief designer (Hiroshi Sasazu), and other staff members who are typically Etrian Odyssey series leads, and it's definitely an anomaly. Something happened there, and it 100% impacted the development of that Etrian Odyssey game they had previously teased (unless the people behind that one are also being shifted around, for some reason).

Sep 6, 2022
Why are people talking about Project Re Fantasy all of a sudden? Is it the bargaining phase? Let it go.
Only 1 reason:

copium.gif

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
Copium tells me that Re Fantasy and Persona 6 are not "new" titles as they've already been previously announced to be in the works :^)

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what chatter ATLUS is seeing to be compelled to make this announcement, are they expecting riots?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
I think Atlus senses a certain restlessness from fans. They've stated the exact same "no new games will be announced here" disclaimer for the Atlus Survey 2022 live stream in July, and the Persona 25th special live stream in August. They've only started doing that with these.
Probably but it's also a fairly reasonable expectation. A stream dedicated to talking about most popular remakes might discuss their remake plans (why else bring it up rather than as information for the sake of information).

See now this would be literal trolling and I think would backfire on them lol

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Persona 6 getting announced at a Playstation event seems absolutely nuts to me. Like that is the biggest possible "get" from a third party I can imagine, outside of like GTA6 or something.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 6 getting announced at a Playstation event seems absolutely nuts to me. Like that is the biggest possible "get" from a third party I can imagine, outside of like GTA6 or something.
Is this sarcasm?

There are many many bigger third party games than Persona. Just within Japan you got RE, MH, FF and DQ off the top of my head.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
PlayStation doesn't respect Persona enough to have it be a big announcement in a showcase. That's the same company that refused to put Persona in their E3 conferences outside of the odd sizzle reel despite being heavily hyped by fans.