• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously doubt Sony is funding Atlus enough for each of their games to outweight the income from spreading them to new audiences, given how every other PS exclusive small to medium size Japanese developer has seen growth from going multi-platform the mindset of Atlus' management is utterly beyond my comprehension.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Doesn't really mean anyone else can't port it either like Sega EU for PC for example just that they won't do it, but yeah Atlus gonna Atlus.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to ask a legit question

Do Atlus and Sony have some kind of deal? I've been wondering this for years

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Will this stop the port-begging?

For Persona 5 Royal, yes.

For the base version of the game?

chance.png

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I seriously doubt Sony is funding Atlus enough for each of their games to outweight the amount of money they'd make by spreading them to new audiences,

I recall Shawn Layden actually namedropping Persona 5 at Sony's E3 2017 conference when talking about great games only available on PlayStation. At the very least, it's clearly a very valuable franchise to them so I could see Sony doing their best to lock it down to their platform(s). An exclusivity clause or anything of the sort wouldn't surprise me but I don't think it's the reason why the mainline Persona games are only on PlayStation. Atlus as a company do seem very old-fashioned especially in a time where there's some semblance of platform parity and cross-platform development is a lot easier.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This should also shut down anyone with hopes that SMTV will be on anything else but the Switch.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The irony lol.

You must not pay attention to Atlus threads.
At least you can see that obvious irony, people seems to be blind when they derail thread XD. Just tweet it to them rather than derailing thread, it's much more visible to the pubs and devs that way. I hope this will stop the derailing a bit but given how fanbases acts here I doubt it lol

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
While I don't think Atlus has necessarily a deal with Sony, I still find it weird that some of the P5R teases/trailers on their Youtube account feature a PlayStation logo at the beginning.
To my recollection, that's never happened before.
Maybe a marketing deal?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It's inspiring to see that the portbeggers aren't letting this stand in their way.

Persona 6 could have you summoning Kratos and you'd still see people on Era hurling insults at a faceless company for not being on Nintendo's platform.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
After the concert stuff, i already said that the reason why the Musou game is multiplatform isn't because Atlus wanted it so, but because KT develops it. It's, in my opinion, the only and main reason that game is multi.

Well if they can keep it down to SMTV port-begging level I would say it's somewhat of a success.

I hope the comparison between port begging for a recent releasesd JRPG and it's enhanced "remaster" coming out in the near(er) future and a game that basically just has had an announcement trailer and a short "gameplay" trailer, and nothing else in between, isn't serious. It's hard to beg for something that's almost non-existant right now. Heck, as a Switch (and other consoles) owner, it's even hard for me to care for that game even though i acutally have the system.

At this point, they could've literally not announced SMTV in 2017 and there wouldn't be any big difference.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
While I don't think Atlus has necessarily a deal with Sony, I still find it weird that some of the P5R teases/trailers on their Youtube account feature a PlayStation logo at the beginning.
To my recollection, that's never happened before.
Maybe a marketing deal?
Yeah, it's odd. The PS splash never appeared in any of the trailers, only miscellaneous stuff like commercials.

However all of the marketing materials for Persona 5 Royal has had some prominent PlayStation branding. Not all of the P5R trailers on the official Atlus YouTube have that PS splash at the very start, though. Only a select few like the teases.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's inspiring to see that the portbeggers aren't letting this stand in their way.

Persona 6 could have you summoning Kratos and you'd still see people on Era hurling insults at a faceless company for not being on Nintendo's platform.
This isn't just about Nintendo. People have been asking for PC and Xbox versions as well.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I remember many ppl were whining when Sega bought them because they thought Sega wouldnt let them 'do their own thing'. Well here you go!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus is a strange company. Milk franchises to hell and back, but then not release pretty obvious ports that would make money.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
they aren't going to announce something like that in a FAQ document, to be fair

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
After the concert stuff, i already said that the reason why the Musou game is multiplatform isn't because Atlus wanted it so, but because KT develops it. It's, in my opinion, the only and main reason that game is multi.
Well that's basically been Atlus's M.O. for their entire existence (with the original Catherine being one of the only examples to against that trend), any of their games that are developed by a third party are on the table for multi-platform development.

They themselves almost never do multi platform development for the same game at the same time.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
This seems so bizarre in a world where Atlus games have done extremely well on handhelds and the switch has flown past ps4 lifetime sales in Japan.

The truth is Atlus sucks and would probably rather make Persona 5: The Golden Royal with more content for Switch in 2022 to further milk the suckers, I mean their dedicated fans.

Atlus basically said "thanks for making our alpha build of persona 5 the best selling game in our company history, now we actually bothered to finish the game and we're gonna make you spend full price on it again, also fuck all you who bought it on ps3"

Fuck Atlus, between this and their greed with the dancing series they're probably the worst company that their die hard fans will defend every shitty decision they make.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm not sure how does one see that Atlus is in bed with Sony if there are Nintendo exclusives both on 3DS and NSW.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Utterly baffling tbh. The game is perfectly capable of being on the Switch, and would sell tremendously there.

I'm salty, ngl. I have no interest in being tied to the TV for 80+ hours on a JRPG, so was really hoping there'd be a Switch version. :/

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Fine but where's SMTV again?

Obviously less important than the P5 remaster, the dancing spin-offs and a Catherine remaster (now with more problematic stuff!).

It was stupid to announce it in 2017.

Well that's basically been Atlus's M.O. for their entire existence (with the original Catherine being one of the only examples to against that trend), any of their games that are developed by a third party are on the table for multi-platform development.

They themselves almost never do multi platform development for the same game at the same time.

Look, the sheer dimension of this topic, specifically for P5 can be mostly adressed due to Joker in Smash. But for this stupid decision, i hold Nintendo responsible for just not giving Sakurai a firm but gentle "No".

In the end, i'm only upset i have to buy another full price game if i want to play the changed stuff, and after i already have the Collectors Edition for PS4 and finished P5, i'm not doing this.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense to me. Here is some arbitrary speculation - it's because they want to see how well it will be received on PS4 first.

Jul 24, 2018
Of course they have no plans, because Sega will be the ones to do it by hiring a third party as they did with Catherine.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Obviously less important than the P5 remaster, the dancing spin-offs and a Catherine remaster (now with more problematic stuff!).

It was stupid to announce it in 2017.

A new release, where they are actually reworking everything from scratch, most ambitious release in that series -> less important than a bunch of cash grab spin-offs and remasters.

To be clear i'm not arguing with you cause i'm sure someone at Atlus truly believes what you're saying and that is insane.