• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Atlus released a FAQ earlier today to address the most common questions levied at Persona 5 Royal alongside a few new screenshots. Among them, the question of "Will this release on platforms other than the PlayStation 4?" popped up to which they answered that they currently have no plans to do such a thing. This is significant as to my knowledge, this is the first time they've actually addressed head-on the fact that a mainline Persona game is exclusive to PlayStation instead of skirting and dodging the question. Looks like they're really doubling down on mainline Persona's exclusivity especially when you take into consideration that a question like this had to be addressed in the "Frequently Asked Questions" section indicating there's clearly a demand for it which makes me wonder if there's any sort of PlayStation exclusivity clause in place keeping it locked to that ecosystem.

oakDkmS.png

CpfQ1Ps.png

Obviously this doesn't rule out the base Persona 5 game coming to other platforms but it looks like P5R will be locked to the PlayStation 4 a la P4G and the Vita. I personally don't really see the point of bringing over the base Persona 5 game to other platforms now that Royal exists - especially at full price - considering how much of an upgrade Royal is over the base game.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand. P4G is locked to a now dead handheld.

P5 runs well on a PS3. What's their problem?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's official. Atlus doesn't like money

They definitely seem to stuck in a different era, in which having a game on both N64 and PS1 (for example) meant tremendous work and resources to adapt to largely different architectures and such. Nowadays it would be fairly simple to port a PS4 game to X1 and PC, even Switch would require (comparatively) little effort. This isn't the days in which games like Doom had to have different kind of compromises on all platforms: here you can have virtually identical games on all platforms with a bit of graphics tweaking. But it doesn't seem like the higher-ups are aware.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really get it, but it's not surprising at this point.

So bizzare all round basically.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Hopefully they're at least working on a port for Tokyo Mirage Sessions, it'd be a real shame to see that forever stuck on the Wii U.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that they need to have that in a FAQ; which stands for "Frequently" Asked Questions. If it's frequent, that means there's demand.

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
What I don't really understand is Persona 4 Golden not bein ported to PS4... it should be easy... and VITA is dead -.-

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy that they need to have that in a FAQ; which stands for "Frequently" Asked Questions. If it's frequent, that means there's demand.

If I were a betting man I'd wager it's the most frequently asked question of all too TBH :p

But I'm not so I'm not suggesting anything.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Obviously. A HD shin megami tensei game with one screen and hdmi out was announced exclusively for the switch. They like to keep their games on separate platforms

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
This is a standard template answer... It means nothing. After they release it, of course it will be re-released on some platform.

Edit: Poorly worded, I mean to say they can still release on some platform. "At present" is a loaded word

Last edited:

WizardMemories

Alt account
Banned
May 22, 2019
It's obvious.
Persona = PlayStation
Shin Megami Tensei = Nintendo

Persona Q/Q2 are actually Etrian Odyssey games with Persona characters. EO are DS/3DS exclusive.
Spinoffs such as P4 Arena and P5 Scramble don't have exclusivity.
SMT: Nocturne and SMT: Nine are not on Nintendo because GameCube sold like shit.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Where is that liar pretending to be a leaker?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This is a standard template answer... It means nothing.
Well, mainline Persona has always been exclusive to PlayStation so the fact that they're doubling down on it now, I'd wager it means something. I think the chances of a Switch port that many were hoping for is now dead, the best shot of seeing anything major from Atlus that isn't EO or SMT on the Switch is probably a TMS port. It's clear Atlus are adament on keeping SMT on Nintendo and Persona on PlayStation. Whether Sony is involved in this remains to be seen.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Obviously this doesn't rule out the base Persona 5 game coming to other platforms but it looks like P5R will be locked to the PlayStation 4 a la P4G and the Vita. I personally don't really see the point of bringing over the base Persona 5 game to other platforms now that Royal exists - especially at full price - considering how much of an upgrade Royal is over the base game.

Yes, mainline Persona 5 will be forever exclusive to PS4 at this point, it has been clear since the April concert. At least, I hope that Atlus is understanding that there is a potential audience outside, since they included this FAQ, and maybe for future games (P6?) they will take it on consideration. Maybe

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely seem to stuck in a different era, in which having a game on both N64 and PS1 (for example) meant tremendous work and resources to adapt to largely different architectures and such. Nowadays it would be fairly simple to port a PS4 game to X1 and PC, even Switch would require (comparatively) little effort. This isn't the days in which games like Doom had to have different kind of compromises on all platforms: here you can have virtually identical games on all platforms with a bit of graphics tweaking. But it doesn't seem like the higher-ups are aware.
Pretty sure it's less them not knowing as opposed to just not caring.
Sony moneyhat usually excludes pc so it isnt sony
It didn't with SFV.
Will this stop the port-begging?
Nope.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird stance for Atlus, aren't they annoyed at all with all the Nintendo fan's portbegging? Just port it guys so threads won't get derailed

Hopefully they port SMT5 on all platforms. TMS too

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the inevitable "Persona 5 Musou for Switch is a test to gauge interest in the Persona series".

Or "we're releasing a direct port of Persona 3 for 40 bucks on Xbox One, if it sells well we'll bring Persona 5, if not it's because people don't care".

Kinda like how Ys Origin is the only chapter of said saga to release on Xbox One. In that case, 20 Euros wasn't a horrible price, but then again it was a 12-13 years old game without any graphical improvement.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, mainline Persona 5 will be forever exclusive to PS4 at this point, it has been clear since the April concert. At least, I hope that Atlus is understanding that there is a potential audience outside, since they included this FAQ, and maybe for future games (P6?) they will take it on consideration. Maybe
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

What a weird stance for Atlus, aren't they annoyed at all with all the Nintendo fan's portbegging? Just port it guys so threads won't get derailed

Hopefully they port SMT5 on all platforms. TMS too
The irony lol.

Well if they can keep it down to SMTV port-begging level I would say it's somewhat of a success.
You must not pay attention to Atlus threads.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now watch the port beggars and anti-exclusive people not respect a thing called choice.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand. P4G is locked to a now dead handheld.

P5 runs well on a PS3. What's their problem?

And there's still no perfect version of P3 (With FemMC, proper town exploration and The Answer). If nothing else, that really feels like something that the series has been missing out on.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
User Banned (2 days): Port Begging, recent history of similar behaviour.
Just bring it to Switch you fuckers, I wanna play the game