• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

Australian Classification rated Atlus-developed title "Project Pen" on November 4.

The game, which is listed under the "multi platform" media type (which refers to console games and not specifically games for multiple platforms), is published by Sega of America, as all recent Atlus-developed titles are (aside from Shin Megami Tensei V, which is published by Nintendo in PAL regions). Its country of origin, however, is listed as "USA," whereas Atlus games are normally listed as from Japan.

The rating for "Project Pen" is "MA 15+" for "strong violence and sexualized imagery," and "in-game purchases." While Atlus titles are known for day one downloadable content, Australian Classification has not listed "in-game purchases" under its consumer advice for previous Atlus games like Persona 5 Royal or Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pen-Pen RPG it is time :)

260px-02_C152_penpen.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly have no clue what this one could be. Some kind of teaser demo?

Basically all of Team Maniax (SMT, Etrian Odyssey and TMS) have been on SMT5.

I forget, but when Atlus puts out a Vanillaware game, how does it show up on rating boards? Because there was an unnamed fantasy teaser as part of the Japan exclusive paid demo for 13 Sentinels:

www.gematsu.com

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Prologue teases unannounced VanillaWare project [Update]

The “Extras” menu in the newly released 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Prologue includes a trailer labeled “????” that teases an unannounced, Atlus-published VanillaWare project.

That was over 2 years ago now.

EDIT: They were hiring for that game in 2017, so it would line up as something to be officially announced soon.

Pen could refer to it being some kind of pen and paper inspired thing.

EDIT 2: Other Vanillaware games from Atlus cite Vanillaware as the author, so this is from an internal team.

Last edited:

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It coming specifically from Atlus West and not Japan is strange. Are we sure it's actually developed by Atlus and not just being published by Sega under the Atlus name? Or is Sega pushing for western developed Atlus games? A rating already too This is weird, right? Or am I missing something?

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think it's definitely Persona related considering 25th anniversary is ongoing. Could possibly be ports being handled by Atlus US?

Also important to note, the following Atlus games are rated as MA 15+ by Australian Classification:
Catherine, SMT: Strange Journey Redux, Persona 5, SMT IV, Persona 3 Portable, SMTV, SMT3HD.

Lastly, the only other Atlus game I can find that has an origin of "USA" is Persona 4 Golden.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they can change the name whenever its announced.

If this was possible it would be standard practice to guard against leaks. Companies already keep titles secret from voice actors very often, too. Chances are you have to give ratings agencies whatever is going on the box from the beginning.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If this was possible it would be standard practice to guard against leaks. Companies already keep titles secret from voice actors very often, too. Chances are you have to give ratings agencies whatever is going on the box from the beginning.
So you think Atlus is going to announce a game called Project Pen?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
www.classification.gov.au

Apply for a title change

Films, computer games and publications must be sold, hired, advertised and exhibited under the title with which they were originally classified. This guide outlines what you need to do if the title of your film, computer game or publication changes after it has been classified.
It's not even the strangest title I've heard in the past few months. I have no reason to doubt they would.
I mean, yeah.

Project Triangle Strategy™ Debut Demo

The Australian Classification website comprises information for general public and industry about the classification of films, games and publications.
And what was the last game that Atlus USA made?

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Finally, they're making the Persona X Penguin Land game we've been asking for. Bout time we had some real Sega/Atlus crossover

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Apply for a title change

Films, computer games and publications must be sold, hired, advertised and exhibited under the title with which they were originally classified. This guide outlines what you need to do if the title of your film, computer game or publication changes after it has been classified.

And what was the last game that Atlus USA made?

What was the last game rated that subsequently had its title changed?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
What was the last game rated that subsequently had its title changed?
If people actively archived the Australian classifcation website, I'd be able to tell you. However they don't, but there is a process to change some info on your classifcation, we know that much.

Atlus only has a handful of games that are rated MA 15+ in Australia. Persona 25th anniversary is going on, and Persona 4 Golden is the only other Atlus game (that I could find) that had an origin of "USA". There's probably a solid chance it's some mobile game or something, but I'll take the odds of something Persona related than Atlus USA making a game (which I don't think they've ever done) and releasing it called Project Pen.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
If people actively archived the Australian classifcation website, I'd be able to tell you. However they don't, but there is a process to do so. Atlus only has a handful of games that are rated MA 15+ in Australia. Persona 25th anniversary is going on, and Persona 4 Golden is the only other Atlus game (that I could find) that had an origin of "USA". There's probably a solid chance it's some mobile game or something, but I'll take the odds of something Persona related than Atlus USA making a game (which I don't think they've ever done) and releasing it called Project Pen.

Right, listen, you're obviously free to cling to your hope that this is actually Persona, be it remasters or a new game. Nothing really points to that, Atlus themselves don't seem to really understand how to conduct these things, and as a fan myself, I can tell you your time is better spent elsewhere until something of substance is actually announced.

But it's your time to spend as you please.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Right, listen, you're obviously free to cling to your hope that this is actually Persona, be it remasters or a new game. Nothing really points to that, Atlus themselves don't seem to really understand how to conduct these things, and as a fan myself, I can tell you your time is better spent elsewhere until something of substance is actually announced.

But it's your time to spend as you please.
I'm not obssessed or clinging onto anything, just found some extra information and found it interesting enough to point out. I know how Atlus rolls and how unpredictable they are. Thanks for looking out for me though, needed it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be a platform to buy Persona NFTs straight from the pen of Soejima.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Do any other Atlus games have a strong violence rating?

A lot of SMT have the sexualized imagery rating. So my first thought is a "Strangers of Paradise" style action game based off SMT

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If people actively archived the Australian classifcation website, I'd be able to tell you. However they don't, but there is a process to change some info on your classifcation, we know that much.

Atlus only has a handful of games that are rated MA 15+ in Australia. Persona 25th anniversary is going on, and Persona 4 Golden is the only other Atlus game (that I could find) that had an origin of "USA". There's probably a solid chance it's some mobile game or something, but I'll take the odds of something Persona related than Atlus USA making a game (which I don't think they've ever done) and releasing it called Project Pen.
Catherine Classic
Etrian Odyssey Nexus
Persona 5

I think you're putting too much weight on that particular part of the rating.

Edit: Oh, apologies, I misread what you meant.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The Strange Journey Redux rating has everything attributed to Sega of America and didn't bother to list a country of origin, so we probably shouldn't look into that part of the Pen rating very much.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's gonna be a Catherine-like about a guy called Leonardo with writer's block who has some crazy dreams

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Etrian Odyssey Nexus is rated PG/M, how is this relevant? I also included Catherine in my original post. Trust me, I looked it up before I just posted something.
Yeah, my bad. I conflated what you were saying with the fact that the author section was just written as "Atlus" instead of "Atlus U.S.A", and ont the other country of origin section.

Still, I feel like certain aspects of the ratings are still played fast and loose.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Yeah, my bad. I conflated what you were saying with the fact that the author section was just written as "Atlus" instead of "Atlus U.S.A", and ont the other country of origin section.

Still, I feel like certain aspects of the ratings are still played fast and loose.
All good! I just found some clues that point at Persona. Knowing Atlus this could be the most random thing ever and probably a mobile game. Was just stating some of what I found. Probably shouldn't have used "definitely" in my original post haha.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
All good! I just found some clues that point at Persona. Knowing Atlus this could be the most random thing ever and probably a mobile game. Was just stating some of what I found. Probably shouldn't have used "definitely" in my original post haha.
At the very least, it's classified as multi-platform which means a console game on the Australian rating board.

The in-game purchases thing is the weirdest part. Makes me think it'll be modular or something. Could be a small project ala Dungeon Encounters and Voice of Cards from SE.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
At the very least, it's classified as multi-platform which means a console game on the Australian rating board.

The in-game purchases thing is the weirdest part. Makes me think it'll be modular or something. Could be a small project ala Dungeon Encounters and Voice of Cards from SE.
Yeah, did some searching for some mobile games, and their platforms are all listed as "Not Specified" so guess there is no option for that. In-game purchases is stumping me as well. No other Atlus game has it. I thought about the modular thing as well.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Project Pen...itentiary?

Would kinda sorta maybe remind me of the original P5 teaser of being a slave and emancipated, so this would be us living in prisons of our own making, man.

P6 confirmed.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
SMT Q. :D

Chibi Demi-Fiend and Nanabeano have to put their differences aside so they can slay Chibi God.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Do any other Atlus games have a strong violence rating?

A lot of SMT have the sexualized imagery rating. So my first thought is a "Strangers of Paradise" style action game based off SMT

don't you dare will this into existence!

Project Pen...itentiary?

Would kinda sorta maybe remind me of the original P5 teaser of being a slave and emancipated, so this would be us living in prisons of our own making, man.

P6 confirmed.

the fabled P6 demo (for a game that has not even been announced) is close at hand

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
a stylus is like a pen

trauma center's gameplay centered around styluses

atlus usa pushed for trauma team

does this make sense? no. do i believe it? no. will it happen? no. will it ever happen? no. but,