• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
Maybe it's just me, but I'm so tired of those games being placed their tiny little box (especially during the recent concert where we didn't get new renditions of the music from those games and were also in their self-isolating bracket for the playlist), when I just want them to be acknowledged as part of the series as a collective whole as much as the "modern" entries in the series.

And I get it. Persona 3 was the game that really set the general tone of the series and is the Number One Son for the IP, and even got a four-part movie and several stage plays. Yes, Persona 4 and Persona 5 did gang busters in retail and merchandising, along with bringing in a ton of new fans for the IP (P5 specifically got huge when both the vanilla and re-release had launched), but it's hard to engage with those games when they have their fair share of issues (homophobia, sexism, and an inconsistent tone for Persona 5 comes to mind). Ultimately, you don't get to the top when you have to start from somewhere.

That's not to say the duology or even Revelations: Persona were perfect games, far from it. But I'm so sick and tired of the knuckleheads who think are being clever when they say "Persona 3 was the first game in the series, what are you on about. ;) " or the protagonist from P4 is "The Chad of Giga Chads". If you're going to be funny, at least have original material that makes fun of the quirks from those games instead of going for low-hanging fruit. (Though In P5's pre-final battle, where Joker summons Satanael to defeat Yaldabaoth, the Gnostic interpretation of God, the irony that it took place on Christmas Eve was not lost on me when it was literally "Twas the Night Satan Saves Christmas".)

And I'm in the same boat as you, as I would love a from-the-ground-up remake of the PS1 Persona games with a slew of QOL updates to make the gameplay similar to Persona 5: Royal, where Demon/Persona Fusion isn't a chore and it gives Tatsuya and Maya vocal/speaking roles in both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, something that was going to be implemented in the PSP remakes but was changed at the last second.
I'm with you and honestly I think a modern version of P2 would really breathe some life into the series. The persona formula is getting a bit predictable and there is an established audience who likes those games. A P2 remake I think really opens a lot of opportunities to bring in new fans to the series, bring back old fans who've abandoned the series due to its new direction and I'm sure even a lot of existing P3-5 fans would give it a chance too even though it's different. P2 really has a lot going for it and I think it would be a waste to not do anything with it, and I think Atlus/sega knows this too. It probably has the best story/characters in the series. The only thing holding it back is that it's so dated now and archaic. Even if they were to release a port of P2 I wouldn't play it now because of how aged it is.

With all that said, some people here are generously sharing some info with us and even apparently one of them commented on a P2 remake before editing their post (allegedly, I didn't see it). So, no one is denying it, lots of persona stuff coming up apparently, and it just makes sense to do a remake tbh. I'm going to remain optimistic/

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I would also lower expectations for their next entry, whatever that may be. Just assuming here but looks more in line with PS4 graphics?

Should I contact a mod for speaking like this or no? I'm new to this whole...having info thing lol. I need to slow down too probably.
Tbh if you asked me when P6 was coming out 4 years ago, I wouldve said 2022 as a crossgen game. I totally expect Ps4 graphics. I just hope its multiplat.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Holy f***, imagine how awkward it would have been if they announced Persona 6, the big new mainline entry as an exclusive, right before Persona 5, their biggest game ever, drops as a multiplatform title.

Yeah, they are going to keep any and all P6 news under wraps if true, at least till P5R drops this month.

Also, I don't know if you know anything about this, but have you heard anything about when this exclusivity deal was decided?
My personal theory is that it happened years ago, so the stuff going on with the series right now, would not have any bearing on that decision.

PS - like the people above, I humbly ask......can you tell us, if it's green 👀
Are we sure an exclusivity deal even exists? I thought it was just atlus being atlus for Persona 5 skipping Switch and Xbox

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
In Sega's 2021 strategy paper they talk about their plan for their 5 major IP. I know this is the P5 logo, but in the paper itself they simply refer to it as Persona. I'd be surprised if the next one is an exclusive, they were heavily telegraphing the Persona future even from before they announced P5 for Xbox, Switch, and PC. Their future strategy is pretty clear.

u5lWyWk_d.webp

Sep 6, 2022
Are we sure an exclusivity deal even exists? I thought it was just atlus being atlus for Persona 5 skipping Switch and Xbox
There was never any proof that P5 had a deal in place, could have just been Atlus doing Atlus things.

But in this day and age, with SEGA mandating that everybody and their grandma be multiplatform now, it is only logical to assume an exclusivity deal would be the only thing preventing a huge game like Persona 6 from being multiplatform at launch.

Jul 7, 2021
I fully expect Persona 6 to be a timed PlayStation exclusive, as it's clear they want to expand the brand to other platforms. They're going to do the same with Shin Megami Tensei if we take the SMTV datamine into consideration.

Sep 6, 2022
In Sega's 2021 strategy paper they talk about their plan for their 5 major IP. I know this is the P5 logo, but in the paper itself they simply refer to it as Persona. I'd be surprised if the next one is an exclusive, they were heavily telegraphing the Persona future even from before they announced P5 for Xbox, Switch, and PC. Their future strategy is pretty clear.

u5lWyWk_d.webp
If this exclusivity deal is real, then it would more than likely predate this plan.
That is the only way I can see current SEGA allowing a game that big to be exclusive. If it happened before their new direction.

People forget that Persona 5 started as a PS3 game, Sony could have cut a deal for the next one, years ago.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
There was never any proof that P5 had a deal in place, could have just been Atlus doing Atlus things.

But in this day and age, with SEGA mandating that everybody and their grandma be multiplatform now, it is only logical to assume an exclusivity deal would be the only thing preventing a huge game like Persona 6 from being multiplatform at launch.
Yeah true that. I suspect we'll have a good idea on the nature of the exclusivity deal when the game gets announced, if it exists

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This will sound harsh, but honestly they should've known better.

Yes, Covid fucked up and continues to fuck up a ton of stuff, that much is very understandable, but this anniversary celebration was announced 2 years into the Covid pandemic. At that point, you should've known better to announce a year long plan with several reveals in mind if you couldn't guarantee that you could actually show something for your big next entry in the series.

Dragging out an anniversary celebration over a year while dangling "mystery projects" in front of your fans just to announce a few ports when everyone is expecting the next big entry of the series is stupidly bad and something they could've easily avoided. If they didn't do this year long campaign and just announced the ports and concert separately, people wouldn't have been as disappointed as they are.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's silly to have a big anniversary extravaganza without something new (even an anime or something), but COVID fucked so many things up around the world that this makes complete sense. I know ATLUS seems to prefer not to announce things until closer to release, which I really appreciate. I'd be interesting to hear about what went on behind the scenes...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I would also lower expectations for their next entry, whatever that may be. Just assuming here but looks more in line with PS4 graphics?

Should I contact a mod for speaking like this or no? I'm new to this whole...having info thing lol. I need to slow down too probably.
I can verify whenever, not worried about that. Just have to stop teasing so much.
Have mods contacted/verified you yet?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Okay, last post on this for a while, mods can verify with me whenever they like, just wish Atlus would have released a teaser by now.

P6 was supposed to be shown off but Atlus changed their minds. It's PS5/4 exclusive last I heard. They had a lot to show off and chose to reveal their board game instead, I have no idea why.
salromano probably heard of this if is true

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
salromano probably heard of this if is true
You'd be surprised but sometimes the best leaks come from seemingly random people (meaning they aren't known in leaking communities, have no agenda other than wanting to share information etc). As an example, I saw the front mission remakes leaked before they were announced by basically some random person who went to an interview with forever entertainment then shared the info with others.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, canceling a P6 teaser (to which few, if any, would have aspirations about that equaling a near/close release) for a board game would be peak Atlus, but that seems...slightly at odds with the statement on 'wanting to show more, but can't'....so either they arbitrarily cut off how many announcements they were going to show ( I guess maybe to not send the board game out and get all its hype sucked out), or P6 is really behind schedule/hit a bunch of snags with covid.

It does make me wonder on how far P6 (and Re:Fantasy) got pushed back, if it's gonna be another while until we even get a first teaser - there's not a lot of upcoming shows this year, IIRC, except for the TGAs in December (unless it's in a random Playstation preview event)

Curious on how far, if any, the evolution goes graphically/stylistically as well - though the latter also will likely depend on the game's theme/framing.

Still a super weird way to go, planning an event schedule a year-plus out, and then not even showing a teaser at the end of it, unless they think people got super burned by P5's multiple delays, and don't wanna commit to even the hint of anything concrete.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Three games with "Persona" in them in 2023-4?

Persona 6
Persona 5 Arena
Persona 5 Strikers 2

Let's go, this is totally realistic and not an obscenely over-optimistic prospective list.
(P3 Remake is another potential option, considering).

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Bit surprised we did not hear about P3Remake considering localizations are already in the works.

I imagine it must have been awful in Atlus offices the moment they realized they were pushing a bunch of announcements out of the anniversary knowing full well the public reaction (one could argue they could have refrained from doing this whole thing in the first place).

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
There's no way they'd announce P3Remake before the release of the remaster. It'd affect the sales of the latter, and in the events it's exclusive/timed exclusive for Sony, the effect would be even larger.

If P6 is the same, then it also makes, sort of sense, to not announce it at the same time where you'd reveal the dates of P4/3 remaster for other Platforms, although I think all of the schedule was definitely affected by COVID. This whole anniversary announcements remain lackluster, and they should've planned it better.

I'm not sure if they'll show P6 on a PS showcase or TGA, though. Even if they'd be distant events from Atlus' announcements, the release of those games for other platforms obviously generates the expectations of future games on multiple platforms, expecially for casual gamers, unaware of how Atlus generally operates.

Feb 16, 2022
Wow, we might actually get a simultaneous launch for a Persona game for the first time.
Probably likely, given current SEGA policy for their releases. But keep in mind the localizations for the original P3 and P4 were also underway before their respective JP releases and there was still a gap between JP and global release.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Damn, if P3R is that far along then there's no chance I'm playing the remaster in January. I'll stick to Golden and hope for an announcement on 3 sometime next year

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I'm curious if P3P will still be worth playing as its own experience after P3 remake. I almost kind of hope so, 'original' P3 always intrigued me lol and I want to try it out. But if the remake is a clear replacement then I won't...and that'll be fine too!

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
lolilolailo has mentioned P3R for a while now I think. Just no one paid attention or believed him/her lol.
I've been paying attention because he's been sharing accurate information with persona for over a year on here now. You don't need to wait for your popular youtube insiders to corroborate this, you have all the information available in this thread if you just read between the lines a bit.