• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a lot of people wondering why Atlus wasn't just using the Persona 5 engine when the graphics looked fine with it.

The answer is that UE4 is way easier to make games with.

There's also a bunch of vague game details at the link.

Gematsu said:
This is the first time Atlus is using Unreal Engine 4. The game development environment has changed dramatically, and you can check what you made immediately on the game screen, allowing us to cut down on a lot of time working over ideas and trial-and-error. I'm really grateful to have been introduced to it.
Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/10/shin-megami-tensei-v-will-game-sympathizes-times

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting seeing how much the Japanese developers have taken to Unreal Engine 4 this generation, and I am glad to see it help their console development a bit.
Btw, glad you are here, Nirolak :)

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Hey, if it at all helps reduce the dev time at all (yeah...), then by all means, that's a good thing, too.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If it means we can get SMT 5 out in a better time frame than P5, I'm all for it.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The same revelation a lot of other JP devs have had when working with UE4.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
I mean if it reduces development time which then also results in a lower total production cost it is no surprise that they are using it.
UE4 is such a versatile engine and is being used by so many Japanese studios already.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Japanese Devs moving over to UE4. Seems to be doing wonders for them.

Also it's great to see you made it over here Nirolak!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That Japanese office really worked out for Epic, it seems. Though UE3 also got quite a use from japanese devs,no?

Stormbrewer

Oct 25, 2017
While it seems to be exclusive for now, I wonder if being on UE4 will help portability of SMTV if they end up deciding to release on PS4 and PC (lol) at some point.

At any rate, hopefully the savings in dev time means we'll get this in 2019 instead of 2020.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If its faster/easier for them then by all means.

No point holding onto clunky engines.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Really fascinating to hear that some of the QoL features of these big engines are some sort of revelation for some big JP developers. Glad that they finally caught on! Though I hope this won't mean a decrease in quality due to not knowing the tools in and out like (presumably) whatever they used previously.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
This might be the least surprising revelation in the history of the SMT series.

Atlus is no stranger to 3rd party engines though, are they? Catherine was build on Gamebryo, the engine Bethesda used for Oblivion (and on which their RPG engine is still based on), I believe. UE4 should be a much better choice than that was back in the day, in any case.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't screw this up Atlus, always scare me when developers talk about how they want to use current events to shape their storyline, specially after Apocalypse tropey story (thankfully Yamai is directing this one).

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing to confirm that UE4 saved Japanese development.

Also happy to see Nirolak made it over.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah UE4 seems to have been pretty neatly accepted by JP devs.

And seeing a Nirolak thread here feels comforting somehow.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking into using UE4 myself and it is quite impressive. Glad to see more Japanese devs making the move.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Switching to UE4 is great news, seems like more and more Japanese devs are starting to finally. Hope this will help them cut down on the delays we got with with P5.

JawesomeJaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the dream is that with an easy engine and a HD demon models that we get the variety of spin offs and different styles of the PS2 MegaTen games.

Basically anything for a new Devil Summoner.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I figured as much when they showed SMTV was using UE in the reveal trailer back at the Switch Presentation, but good to have confirmation.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
If this means that they'll get the game out quicker, then fine. They're up to speed like the rest of Japan.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
What a reversal from last gen. The major Japanese publishers are all about UE while the major Western publishers have largely moved to their own custom codebases.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal Engine 4 is really helping Japanese developers. No wonder Nintendo is working so strictly with Epic to make things as easy as possible for developers.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting seeing how much the Japanese developers have taken to Unreal Engine 4 this generation, and I am glad to see it help their console development a bit.
Btw, glad you are here, Nirolak :)
I think lack of proper documentation (i.e. in Japanese) was cited as a reason why previous iterations weren't so widespread there.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I think lack of proper documentation (i.e. in Japanese) was cited as a reason why previous iterations weren't so widespread there.
Yep. Plus it was also a thing that once you went through the trouble of investing in your own engine, you wanted to get the most out of it. And at least in cases like Capcom's MT, it actually worked, for the most part.

Couldn't be more a different stage, now, though.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like all of these Japanese developers moving over to modern engines and tools is going to lead to some kind of renaissance.

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
The same revelation a lot of other JP devs have had when working with UE4.

They must have had a revelatory documentation upgrade or something since last time around or something to get all these companies to buy in. I hear even sunrise is using it for anime now over other tools.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a lot of people wondering why Atlus wasn't just using the Persona 5 engine when the graphics looked fine with it.

The answer is that UE4 is way easier to make games with.

There's also a bunch of vague game details at the link.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/10/shin-megami-tensei-v-will-game-sympathizes-times

I can understand that headache. Having to do a massive compile every time you want to see a change sucks. That's one of the great things about Unity. Doesn't take long to see the game doing it's thing and that makes it a lot easier to see and make changes.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the end of built from the ground up era for engines. Makes sense. There's a lot of good options out there.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017

Now that's interesting, so it's really telling how japanese devs have embraced UE4. Not so long ago I was hoping that Bamco moved Tales to the engine; I'm almost sure they'll do that.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this means we (or at least Japan) get to see this game released in late 2018. Playing this game on my Switch and "Demon fusing in bed" is gonna be rad.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it will mean faster dev cycles, cheaper costs and, in the end, more games and leaving the 3DS behind (even if I have all of their games on preorder already, it's time to move on in 2018-2019)

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I like how "cutting down time" sounds.

I mean, remember "Persona 5 Coming Winter 2014"?