• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that looking at the teaser SMTV looks a lot like Persona 5 (maybe with slightly improved lightning?). If I didn't know better I would have bet it was the same engine.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
So its because Atlus wants to make Persona games for Playstation and SMT games for Nintendo. That's no different from what i said.

Well, your premise sounded as though you meant Atlus makes games for certain hardware entirely based upon what it is they wish to do, in terms of using those specific devices in certain ways. My point was that this isn't necessarily the case, and that their decisions are just as much driven by business arrangements.

Of course, I could be misunderstanding what you meant, in which case disregard my post.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably looked at the cost of porting their engine to ARM and found out going third party was cheaper.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that looking at the teaser SMTV looks a lot like Persona 5 (maybe with slightly improved lightning?). If I didn't know better I would have bet it was the same engine.
We've really seen so little of SMTV to really say that. SMTV has a very different art style to P5.

P5 looks more like a comic book come to life where SMTV has a muted color palette kind of like Nocturne.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
i think jp devs got alot more support of UE4 because it's jp localization documentation and support is way better than UE3's era

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo hasnt used UE4 in any of their games. one of their outsourced games is using it, however

Eh I don't know that it's really outsourced if they are long term partner studios. Based on what they've said though, I'm sure some of their owned studios will be using it as well, like Int Sys for Fire Emblem.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's what I'm referring to. that's the choice of Good Feel than Nintendo, so I wouldnt use it as an example of "Nintendo adopting UE4"

Eh I don't know that it's really outsourced if they are long term partner studios. Based on what they've said though, I'm sure some of their owned studios will be using it as well, like Int Sys for Fire Emblem.
Intelligent Systems doesnt strike me for one who'd use UE4 given how much of their fingers they have in the development of the Switch itself

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully all JP studios take to UE4.

Particularly the Tales games so they stop looking dated.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
tbh the Persona 5 engine wasn't that impressive. It's the generic japanese engine they use for a lot of AA games. It's the art style that made Persona 5 so unique and beautiful. I hope ATLUS can nail it down. Unreal Engine is a blessing to work with (personal experience) but if you don't have that distinctive art style, it will look like "just another Unreal game". Best example being the One Piece open world game. Characters look fine, but the environments look super off, because they don't have a distinctive style to them, they almost feel like assets bought from the UE store. But I trust ATLUS over most developers so I hope they manage to do something good with it

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Hopefully all JP studios take to UE4.

Particularly the Tales games so they stop looking dated.

I don't think all studios should switch to Unreal Engine but yes, god dammit, yes. Tale Of games need that oomph franchises like Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter (EDIT: surprisingly, this is still the same engine) and Kingdom Hearts have been getting thanks to their new engines

Last edited:

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Monster Hunter World was UE4? Swore that was MT Frameworks.

it's not, I said "thanks to their new engines". But I just googled and looks like MH: World is still using the same engine as MHXX. I could've sworn it was an entirely new engine. Oh well my bad - Capcom once said they would be using RE's new engine for future titles so I assumed they were also using it, but I guess not

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018

oh man the new Fire Emblem on Unreal Engine 4 would be so good! I hope they don't use the awful FE Warriors engine

Oct 27, 2017
oh man the new Fire Emblem on Unreal Engine 4 would be so good! I hope they don't use the awful FE Warriors engine
That game was made by Koei Tecmo, I highly doubtful it. I know Intelligent Systems has used some 3rd party middleware before in their games (Game and Wario comes to mind). Of all of Nintendos partners, they seem like the most likely one to adopt Ue4 (besides Good feel, who beat them to it).

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
tbh the Persona 5 engine wasn't that impressive. It's the generic japanese engine they use for a lot of AA games. It's the art style that made Persona 5 so unique and beautiful. I hope ATLUS can nail it down. Unreal Engine is a blessing to work with (personal experience) but if you don't have that distinctive art style, it will look like "just another Unreal game". Best example being the One Piece open world game. Characters look fine, but the environments look super off, because they don't have a distinctive style to them, they almost feel like assets bought from the UE store. But I trust ATLUS over most developers so I hope they manage to do something good with it

Yeah and if that SMTV trailer was anything to go by, they don't seem to be having any problems porting the SMT aesthetics to UE4.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Int Sys use their own proprietary stuff.

They have, but at the same time I think Nintendo would push it's devs to use an engine that is highly compatible with Nvidia technology depending on what their hardware plans are going forward. Ease of scalability, and standardizing development environments between studios, might be very important if they plan to for incremental hardware improvements going forward.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of that, but until they show off a game, I cant help but take it as internal experimentation/optimization. for a hardware developer, it's important for major toolsets to work well with your stuff

They have, but at the same time I think Nintendo would push it's devs to use an engine that is highly compatible with Nvidia technology depending on what their hardware plans are going forward. Ease of scalability, and standardizing development environments between studios, might be very important if they plan to for incremental hardware improvements going forward.
if Nintendo wanted that, they'd prefer IS to develop their own tools. especially since IS has their hand in the Switch's software layer

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Actually, Persona is largely on PlayStation due to Aniplex (which is owned by Sony) being heavily involved with the marketing and multimedia initiatives for that franchise. That's why games like Persona 3 Dancing and Persona 5 Dancing are still PS4/Vita.

I wrote a lengthy post explaining Atlus' platform choices for SMT and Persona a few months ago. I'll quote it below.
That doesn't explain the Persona Q series or the fighting games being on other platforms. And don't pull that "I meant the main series" card. You should've said it first if that was the case.

Also, I think your argument for SMT being on Nintendo is the same for Persona mainly having been on PS thus far. Because Sony platforms were the most popular in terms of user base and were more powerful. Think back to Persona 1/2 which released on PS1. Japanese 3rd parties, especially Atlus, hardly released any N64 games because of the physical format restrictions and the small user base. The same applied to Persona 3/4 with PS2 vs GC/XBOX. Now concerning Persona 5, let's look at the options Atlus had for platforms. 360 was obviously not an option due to the user base in Japan and audience at the time. Wii was woefully underpowered, leaving PS3 as the only true platform. It then came to PS4 because development took so long and because they wanted to get more sales as the PS3 was an outdated platform at that point. Wii U was also dead (on top of already having TMS#FE being made for it) and Xbone sold even worse than the first xbox. So there were really never any other platforms in terms of options for the series anyway. Heck, even SMT III came to PS2.

So this whole Aniplex theory doesn't make any sense to me, especially with Atlus recent surveys. Regardless, Sony in no way owns the rights to the Persona IP.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of that, but until they show off a game, I cant help but take it as internal experimentation/optimization. for a hardware developer, it's important for major toolsets to work well with your stuff

if Nintendo wanted that, they'd prefer IS to develop their own tools. especially since IS has their hand in the Switch's software layer

Sure but comparitivley EPD has significant resources to heavily customize their tools on a per game basis. I don't know how easy it is to share that outside of the main EPD building unless they have a unified development environment we are not aware of.

Nintendo doesn't own Int Sys.

Lol yeah it dawned on me when I came back to this thread. It's pretty weird considering they are so close that they work out of Nintendo's building.

Last edited:

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017

That's just Good Feel at this point isn't it? I know Miyamoto said they mastered UE4, but they're not currently using it in any of their games.

I'm pretty sure they're using it. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirby was running off of it

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
One of the directions we are taking with Shin Megami Tensei V is to reexamine the "characteristics of the era." There are surely many people frustrated by troubles both at home and abroad, such as anxiety about finding a job and getting old, or terrorists and nuclear weapons. I want to make a Shin Megami Tensei game that can sympathize with such an era. That is our challenge.
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2017/10/shin-megami-tensei-v-will-game-sympathizes-times#bhkzaHaPccgYjFTp.99

Interesting to see how they turn this story. From the above it's pretty open. Sounds more in line with a persona game than smt game which is typically end of the world , end of ___ style games .

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about P5 looking fine. The style completely carried the graphics, especially when you had portraits that looked nothing like what the character was supposed to be expressing

Oct 27, 2017
i think jp devs got alot more support of UE4 because it's jp localization documentation and support is way better than UE3's era

Documentation is huge.

I've worked with foreign engineering firms that couldn't figure out how to implement relatively straight-forward automation systems because the documentation for that kind of thing is typically exclusively jargon-heavy English.

Oct 25, 2017
Poeple still port begging SMT, ya don't gotta be like this.

KD0rFsA.png

Any word on if this will be a 2018 release ?

Over a month ago they said the game was in a "scrap and build" phase. I don't expect this thing out till 2019.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do they need to explain that they are using UE4... it seems a lot of japanese game companies are using UE4.. which is probably why Nintendo adopted it for Switch

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
... So why did everyone just roll with this necrobump? I was excited thinking we got news.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't explain the Persona Q series or the fighting games being on other platforms. And don't pull that "I meant the main series" card. You should've said it first if that was the case.

"Pull" what exactly? I don't quite understand. Yes, of course I was referring largely to the main series, but I was also referring to games like the Dancing titles, which are being released on what is essentially a zombie platform in 2018.

Are there exceptions? Yes. Is Aniplex's relationship with Atlus still factored into the decision-making process? Yes. This isn't a one-or-the-other scenario. There is an incentive to associate Persona very closely with the platform that enjoys a good chunk of the anime/anime game audience. It's just common business sense.